Proper rear bumpers 326 39.32%
Tube-type tyres 21 2.53%
Reach-Adjustable steering 343 41.38%
Folding rear seats in sedans 353 42.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2020, 18:15   #76
BHPian

Re: Automotive features & amenities that are going missing in this decade!

One thing missing for sure in most Modern SUV's is the "Confidence & Ability to Go Anywhere"

Every time I see modern SUV's struggling be it either on Bad/Water clogged city roads or even on a slight Off-road, I get a subtle smile on my face and remember the things I did in My 2000 Safari 4x4.

There are also very few SUV's with on-the-fly 4x4, most of them are either All time 4x4's or automated 4x4's
Old 19th July 2020, 23:27   #77
BHPian

I actually like most of the changes in cars of today (vs those from yesteryears).

There's one thing I solely miss though - hydraulic power steering. Owned a Linea for a few years and the steering felt so fantastic, I never noted the awkward driver's position till I read some Fiat reviews on TeamBHP.
Old 21st September 2020, 10:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

2 features that I miss grossly in modern cars are:

1. Rear wash wipe in mid models: I don't understand how can this be such a premium feature while it was available in base models of small cars back in early 2000s. What makes it worse is you can't fit it aftermarket as easily as say an alloy or touchscreen infotainment system. KIA Sonet for example has a Sunroof in HTX but no rear wash-wipe

2. Adjustable rear headrests: This is another feature which I had in my 2010 Estilo. But my 10.7L(OTR Bangalore) worth Jazz VX CVT doesn't have one. Even the nexons and i20s of the world have it only in top models.

These two I feel are not really expensive features at all and should be made standard across variants.

Last edited by SoumenD : 21st September 2020 at 10:06.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 10:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for build quality.
Because that's one thing which is directly related to the safety of the passengers.
Most of the other features may or may not hinder safety and we have to move with time. Eg. Keyless entry and push button start. I am not a fan of this, but its a feature which is loved by many.
Many car features have changed over a period of time, with public demand and newer technology. However one thing that should not have changed was build quality and unfortunately that's changed drastically over a period of time. I feel most of the newer cars in India are weaker than their own counterparts or previous generation models. Eg. The older Swift was much stronger than the newer one. One of the main reasons why Maruti cars are referred as tin cans today.
Old 21st September 2020, 11:25   #80
Senior - BHPian

Can we add large windows to the list? Modern cars feel positively claustrophobic compared to older cars which are beginning to feel like fish tanks in comparison. Modern crash regulations and the fact that glass weighs more than metal (or at least that's a statement i remember suzuki making at one point for a given area) - mean that pillars are chunkier, and car beltlines keep rising every year.
Old 21st September 2020, 17:16   #81
BHPian

Option from the poll:
Full Size Spare Wheel:
Our 2006 Swift Zxi had full size spare alloy wheel. My 2020 Duster has steel wheel (same size, thankfully).
Old 21st September 2020, 22:44   #82
Senior - BHPian

Among the features listed in the poll, I miss the lack of a full size spare tyre.

Hydraulic power steering is great for an enthusiast but oil leak makes one wonder if its worth it. Besides, the Ford Fiesta "fluidic" (2013 model) that I drove had a wonderful EPS that weighed very nicely at highway speeds. So a properly tuned steering can be a reasonable compromise to a HPS.

Lastly, I'd miss old type keys in the years to come as my current rides dont have PEPS "smart" keys.
Going by the current trend, most cars will have such system in their mid/top variants. Traditional keys had a lesser chance of getting the owner in a tough situation.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 21st September 2020 at 22:47.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed