Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2020, 16:03   #121
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post
I checked with Kun Service manager on the cost of glossy black grill, he would update me on the cost in a week. Meanwhile, received the attached PDF from Service Manager.
Keep us posted on this. Kindly ask him about the paddle shifters fitment on old DCT variants as a few Hyundai dealers down south are clueless on the same.
Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 23:25   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs

First drive review of the iMT variant.

Not sure why the larger channels in India have not taken this variant up for review yet.

NOTE: The video is in Malayalam.

Some of the stuff I could make out was that the vehicle allows you to downshift at speed (he didn't say what rpm or speed he was at) and it also allowed him to upshift to 4th while he was at a very low speed.

Also, decreased input to the accelerator enabled the shifts to be smoother.
JithinR is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:30   #123
BHPian

Here comes the English variant from the same guy.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 14:15   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Thanks for sharing.
Unfortunately, the reviewer is not answering the most critical questions:
  • How smooth are the gear shifts - is there some lag or increased resistance?
  • How quick can one shift - does the box introduce some mechanical delay through slotting resistance to enable the actuators and sensors to engage the clutch?
  • Is there a jerk or head-nod effect when shifting?
  • How good is the Fuel Efficiency? Is it comparable to the manual?
  • Is there any additional vibrations or tremors in the gear lever or pedals?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd August 2020 at 14:35. Reason: Removed video URL from quote.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 15:56   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
I dont know if its only me that I find this iMT thing a bit scary !
Either you have AT or MT, this manual gear without clutch pressing is giving me very uncomfortable vibes.

It will take more time getting used to.

Just imagine having 3 cars with each system i.e. Manual, AT and iMT.

Last edited by SDP : 3rd August 2020 at 18:01. Reason: Removed video link from quote
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:30   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster1008 View Post
I dont know if its only me that I find this iMT thing a bit scary !
It will take more time getting used to.

Just imagine having 3 cars with each system i.e. Manual, AT and iMT.
I also find it bit scary TBH.
Also it will eat up clutch faster than AMT IMO.

BTW if you happen to own three cars with each system, don't worry one or the other will be in garage only.. for bumper changes
DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:34   #127
Senior - BHPian

People wanting to drive AT might not really like this ! Only people who like manuals but are fed up of City driving might think its fine.

When he says in 6th gear at low speed, even RPM is not climbing up with throttle, not sure what is happening.
Old 3rd August 2020, 16:44   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
People wanting to drive AT might not really like this ! Only people who like manuals but are fed up of City driving might think its fine.
I agree. The IMT will probably find itself in a very niche market with not too many customers shopping in the grey area between a proper manual shifter and an autobox. For those who are fed up of manual shifting and clutching, they will probably look directly at the auto market rather than this, in my view. Not sure how successful this kind of transmission will be and how many people, other than real hardcore stick shift enthusiasts, will be inclined to buy this variant.
Old 6th August 2020, 12:41   #129
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Venue iMT review from Evo india

One of the best reviews I have seen from an Indian reviewer.

I am not sure why Hyundai is not bringing this transmission option to their diesel powertrain.

With the SX variant it would breach the 10L price barrier but getting this option on the top end would be great since it's such a small premium and offers a lot of convenience.

Also, if it doesn't slip the clutch then perhaps we can avoid the premature clutch wear (sometimes not covered under warranty) that AMTs have.

Fingers crossed that Kia gets a diesel automatic on launch tomorrow. Since it's not a true auto it won't affect their Seltos sales.

Last edited by JithinR : 6th August 2020 at 13:01. Reason: Corrected spelling mistakes
JithinR is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 16:03   #130
Senior - BHPian

Are the questions of how is it beneficial or entirely different over the manual mode in AMT answered?

I guess the Manual mode in AMT has got everyone covered at least in most cars, except in some cases where the AMT unit overrides the user inputs esp. while lugging the car, early upshifts or holding on to the red line forever.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 16:41   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Are the questions of how is it beneficial or entirely different over the manual mode in AMT answered?

I guess the Manual mode in AMT has got everyone covered at least in most cars, except in some cases where the AMT unit overrides the user inputs esp. while lugging the car, early upshifts or holding on to the red line forever.
For someone considering an AMT just as a way to get rid of the clutch, I believe this is a far better solution. From what I have observed, people usually buy AMTs just to do away with managing the clutch, as the reviewer in the above video also says. People who have prior experience with proper automatics usually shy away from AMTs.

iMT is way less complex since there is no need for a TCU with a gear shifting algorithm; so I guess reliability would be better. A typical AMT commands a premium of ₹40-50k over the equivalent manual variant, while this carries a premium of just ₹20k, which I believe almost anybody buying a car would be comfortable with.

I expect other manufacturers to follow suit pretty soon, similar to what happened after MSIL introduced the AMT.

And yes, to answer your question, I guess the main benefit of iMT over the AMT's manual mode would be the lower upfront cost as well as improved reliability.

Last edited by ram.iyer95 : 6th August 2020 at 16:45.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 18:34   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Hyundai Venue iMT review from Evo india
He is talking about head tossing, he also says is the head tossing is only because of the clutch not because of the gearshift. One thing I do not understand is if the clutch is the same between AMT and iMT why would you have head tossing with similar clutch.
Old 6th August 2020, 18:46   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
He is talking about head tossing, he also says is the head tossing is only because of the clutch not because of the gearshift. One thing I do not understand is if the clutch is the same between AMT and iMT why would you have head tossing with similar clutch.
He is talking about the shift quality in AMT vs iMT. In AMT transmissions with an aggressive throttle input you can notice a slight head nod. With a gentle throttle input I have personally not noticed it (NOTE: The only AMT car I have driven is a Nexon diesel).

In an iMT transmission once you shift using the gear stick the actuator does the job of engaging/disengaging the the clutch while disengaging drive input and as per him the head nod effect is not there as such.

As far as i remember even Santro's electronically actuated AMT was described as smooth enough (better than some of the Hydraulic ones).
Old 6th August 2020, 19:51   #134
BHPian

Don't mind some work out while driving - Pick a manual
Nah, changing gears is too inconvenient - Pick a 'proper' automatic!

Thats it!! I mean thats pretty much how I would summarize!!

The AMTs, IMTs are there to only complicate things, IMHO. I just don't see any reason why anyone would want to buy such a unproven, complicated tech and drive around feeling paranoid everytime! As if our driving environment isn't challenging enough, these manufacturers are upto making the life of a average driver more challenging!

How about a 'no gear lever' type automatic transmission Hyundai?? Just press/depress the clutch everytime, gear changes! Just coin a new term, sure the engineers at Hyundai could be working on this already!!

Last edited by vinair : 6th August 2020 at 19:52.
vinair is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 06:57   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
He mentions that he lets go of the accelerator pedal very briefly while changing the gear and then re-engages it. This is normal behaviour for someone driving a manual and you would instinctively do this in the IMT.

I think this is what is making the difference, because the Gas is not being abruptly cut off as in an AMT and then fired back. In an AMT, one would not know when the gear changes so it is likely you are still stepping on the gas (accelerating) when the gear change process is in progress causing the head forward motion during sudden deceleration as the gas gets cut off by the AMT and the head backward during subsequent acceleration and re-engagement.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks