Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai Venue to get "clutchless" manual transmission (iMT)

Hero Honda in 1997 had launched a clutchless manual transmission equipped step-through motorcycle (akin to the Bajaj M 80). It flopped and died away soon.

http://marketingpractice.blogspot.co...treet-rip.html

But this very same model was a roaring success in Indonesia, apparently. So there.

Last edited by locusjag : 3rd July 2020 at 15:20. Reason: Made factual corrections
locusjag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:29   #17
BHPian

So, basically an AMT which is always in tiptronic mode?
KaranP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:39   #18
BHPian

re: Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs

I think that the manufacturers wants AMT to be a success and are hell bent on that. Thus, they have removed the weakest link in AMT; the shifting software. This way the user will be in command and all negative points of AMT like head nod, brainless shift will be eliminated. Why cant they just give us plain old torque convertor based ATs.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 15:52   #19
BHPian

re: Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Why cant they just give us plain old torque convertor based ATs.
Have you seen the mileage of AMT w.r.t. their manual counterpart? It's almost equal or greater. And the price of AMT is around 50k+ more than MT. In cars priced under 10 lakhs an AMT is more easy to adopt. Very few bought the A-star, Brio, etc with TC-gearbox and look where the AMT sales are now!
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:13   #20
BHPian

So in lay man's language this will be an AMT with only the manual mode.
S.MJet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:24   #21
BHPian

This reminds me of HH Street. Which didn't do well at that time if I remember correctly?

Sharing the advert here as the basics are common.

I am not sure of whom this is targetted at. People who like automatics, go with auto box and who like manuals go with manuals. May be taken by people who are not sure of whether they are ready to move to automatics.

Cheers,
Shouri
vijayshouree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:39   #22
BHPian

What I'm truly afraid of is the learning curve for such a transmission and how it will affect people who also own a regular manual or automatic vehicle. Personally, my left leg is connected to my left foot. Either I use both or neither.

Rather than eliminate the clutch entirely, they could have added rev-matching instead. This would make it a lot more convenient for the average driver who doesn't heel and toe and help close gaps in city driving if you're stuck in the wrong gear.
saur95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:41   #23
Sac
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
So, basically an AMT which is always in tiptronic mode?
Not really. In tiptronic the actuation is still based on electronics, though the end user would be pushing a Gear like stick fwd-reverse or use a pedal shifter. In this iMT you will be shifting the gears exactly like in manual gearbox i.e. in the H pattern. This to me is essentially useless technology.
Sac is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 16:49   #24
BHPian

Having driven Manual cars for around 15 years, it would very difficult to keep the left leg idle while shifting gears. The gear shifting routine has become a muscle memory. It would be interesting and unnerving initially to drive the Venue. Better to try it out in a closed area first rather than taking it out in the traffic.
adi.mariner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 17:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai will be introducing a 6-speed intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT)
Hyundai says iMT combines the strengths of manual and automatic transmissions. I'd say it even takes away what an AMT offers for a reasonable ₹60-65k premium.

If it comes to shift gears manually, why would one prefer a cumbersome H-pattern over a simple up-down lever or paddle shifters?

I fail to see any benefit with iMT unless it's priced lower somewhere around ₹25-30k mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saur95 View Post
Personally, my left leg is connected to my left foot
Even mine is.
self_driven is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 17:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

So Hyundai uses a touch sensor on the gear lever called the "Transmission Gear Shift Lever Intention Sensor". You touch this sensor when you grab the lever or when you press the brake pedal. It sends a signal to the TCU (transmission control unit) which activates a hydraulic clutch actuator.

IMO Getting habituated to manually shift the gear without a clutch pedal sounds like a potentially hazardous habit by itself for many people.

Bear with me. I may not have driven this yet, but would personally prefer operating a MT with a regular clutch pedal rather than falling to unconventional habits. Why?

If I(/any driver) happen(/s) to drive a regular manual transmission after the iMT, it's possible that the muscle memory of pressing the clutch pedal while shifting gears would be lost/compromised. This may be corrected within a fraction of a second in slow traffic, but in an emergent situation, it may not work out and could cost dearly.

This is just my personal opinion based on my experience of driving an AMT as well as a regular MT, and my preference that either the shifts happen completely automatically, or with the proper press-clutch proceedure.

The iMT is electronic, which IMO makes it prone to glitches or failure in a way that mechanical components are not.

It's obviously proprietary tech, which means only Hyundai can diagnose issues. Which means a customer loses leverage of being able to choose an FNG after warranty ends.

Also, efficient Torque Converter(TC) automatic transmissions(AT) which are being used across the world for all types of passenger cars for decades now and I'm guessing that it should be very economically available to put to use here in the Indian market at this stage.

If this iMT really cost an additional approx ₹40k, I see no reason for a car maker to not offer TC ATs, except to ensure a proprietary gear shift tech being adopted to build in obsolescence and monopolise its servicing.

Anyway, let's see. A fair chance to the tech after using it to drive would be due before concluding.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 3rd July 2020 at 17:41. Reason: Spelling errors.
GrammarNazi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 17:49   #27
BHPian

A similar system retrofitted by Automate India on a Jeep Compass. The difference being that the clutch on this is actuated by pressing a sensor on the gear stick.

ATRONIX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 18:26   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sharing full press release here. Quite a unique offering, I must say. Will call for it to review. If someone wanted to save money, I'm wondering how this is better than an AMT?
Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs-hyundai-imt-1.0-l-tgdi-engine.jpg

Quote:
Hyundai Announces India Debut of intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT) Technology on VENUE – India’s First Connected SUV

First-in-Industry 2-Pedal intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT) Technology

- Hyundai VENUE First Brand to bring iMT to Indian Customers offering a Clutch-less Drive Experience

- iMT to be introduced in July 2020 on Kappa 1.0 l T-GDi Petrol (BS6) engine with 6-Speed Manual Transmission

- Enhanced control through manual gear shifting without need to operate clutch for a comfortable and superior drive experience

Mumbai, July 03, 2020: Hyundai Motor India Ltd. (HMIL), country’s First Smart Mobility Solutions provider and the largest exporter since inception, today announced India debut of intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT) on Hyundai VENUE – India’s First Connected SUV. Continuing its technology leadership, Hyundai has announced the introduction of yet another Industry First Innovation that offers customers the convenience of 2-pedal clutch-less technology combined with Fun-to-Drive elements of a Manual Transmission.

Hyundai’s iMT technology is essentially a revolutionary 2-pedal system that eliminates the need for drivers to constantly use the clutch pedal as in a conventional manual transmission. However, with this technology the driver retains the ability to slot gears manually, thereby delivering enhanced control and retaining the joy of driving.

Commenting on the announcement, Mr. SS Kim, MD & CEO, Hyundai Motor India Ltd., said, “Hyundai has been driving the adoption of new and innovative technologies at scale. With our ‘Future Ready’ business strategy, we have been continuously striving for customer delight with Human centric technologies that present our innate understanding of what our customers’ desire. iMT is one such technology that accounts for pleasure of driving and also the convenience needed to ease the hectic burden of daily commutes. This unparalleled drive experience on Hyundai VENUE – India’s First Connected SUV has been curated through a constant pursuit of innovation for Customer Delight.”

Hyundai’s iMT technology features a Transmission Gear Shift (TGS) Lever with Intention Sensor, Hydraulic Actuator and Transmission Control Unit (TCU). The system has been designed to offer a seamless drive experience by incorporating a cohesive logic between the various components on manual transmissions:

- Transmission Control Unit receives signal from TGS Lever Intention Sensor, indicating drivers desire to change gears.
- TCU sends signal to engage Hydraulic Actuator forming Hydraulic Pressure.
- Hydraulic Pressure is then sent to Concentric Slave Cylinder (CSC) through Clutch Tube.
- Concentric Slave Cylinder uses this pressure to control the clutch and pressure plate, thereby engaging and disengaging the clutch.
- Driver is able to seamlessly shift gears without the need to mechanically operate clutch pedal.

Through this electromechanical operation of the clutch, iMT will offer drivers all the pleasures of driving a manual transmission. Further, the technology will empower customers with a more engaged drive experience by offering enhanced control over desired torque on wheels without compromising on fuel efficiency and performance.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:14   #29
BHPian

So essentially, they are bringing in a fancy technology which Hero Honda did more than a decade back! Remember this?

Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs-hero_honda_street_100_with_fine_engine_condition_2869189.jpg
SansGT is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:28   #30
BHPian

I agree with all the BHPians above.
The ones who want to shift gears want a clutch too and the ones who don't want a clutch are not interested in shifting!
I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to drive a proper manual for a person who is used to his 'IMT'

Last edited by Nazaar25 : 3rd July 2020 at 19:35.
Nazaar25 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks