Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 20:12   #76
BHPian

re: Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
I believe Tata developing DSG type gearbox with first gear as torque converter type solves nearly all problem of VW DSG iteration. This will give reliability and performance without sacrificing fuel efficiency.

I know i am digressing from the discussion topic but do you have more information on this; haven't heard a hybrid of torque converter and a clutch type gear box.
sreedotk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 21:25   #77

re: Hyundai Venue 1.0L turbo-petrol to get clutchless 6-speed iMT. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10 Lakhs

If it's a H pattern gearbox, then I am presuming that if you slow right down from a high gear, and don't downshift, the car will stall. Or am I missing something?
Old 6th July 2020, 21:42   #78
BHPian

I wonder what happens when u slot in the highest gear and drive at a very low speed say 10 km per hour!
The AMT does not let you select a higher gear at a very low speed.
Old 6th July 2020, 21:46   #79
BHPian

I can not even think of changing a manual gear without pressing a clutch pedal. Our minds are so tuned to the normal system of manual transmission.

But it surely seems an interesting innovation by Hyundai and it will be too early to comment about its pros and cons. Driving a car with such a transmission setup will be a unique experience in itself..
Old 7th July 2020, 07:28   #80
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This reminds me of the TVS bike that had a similar transmission. The gearing is manual and 4 in number but there is no manual clutch lever that the biker had to engage to change the gear. This will be good and less stressful for the drivers.

Regards
Bharath
Old 7th July 2020, 07:54   #81
BHPian

Honestly I feel this is neither here nor there. While this will be a boon to novice drivers and those who hates clutching and de-clutching in peak city traffic, purists and enthusiasts who prefer manuals will despise it. For the former we have AMTs, TC ATs, CVTs and DSGs and for the latter only a proper manual will do. This iMT technology, while on paper is appealing may only have a very limited use. This could be a niche product not a mass one. This has something for the AT users and something for the MT users, a jack of trades and master of none product.

Let's wait and see how the market responds when its launched.
Old 7th July 2020, 08:40   #82
BHPian

Its not a clutch less system, its essentially a clutch pedal less system, I do not see any intelligence in this, its dumber than an AMT.

After driving our Celario AMT in manual mode, I do believe this technology(if cheaper than AMT) has very good business case and will be a hit among masses especially with women and senior citizens. I love driving AMT in manual mode, its kind of fun when you have lot of speed humps within short intervals.
Old 7th July 2020, 09:32   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder if this is something that Hyundai is trying in order to gracefully get rid of the DCT. Perhaps noted some some longevity issues in our traffic conditions with DCT? However - I see no real value from this over an AMT.
  1. The AMT has a sequential shift +/- operation in manual mode, which is quite logical & sufficiently engaging for those who want control over the gearing. Also - in some implementations like in many Maruti hatchbacks - the gear holds right upto the red-line if in Manual mode. So - it has something for the enthusiasts too.
  2. More importantly in the IMT - the sequential shifting still has a software controller for safety in selection of ratios.
  3. On the other hand - in this IMT - there are H-gates for the stick & gear selection doesn't seem to have any safety controller.
  4. To me it seems that with the IMT - the user can very much shift from 1 to 5 directly and the clutch will then get all the work to do to somehow avoid stalling the car. Whereas shifting from 5 to 1 - might cause severe strain on the gearbox.
  5. As such - I'm not too convinced that there is any real innovative contribution to the driving experience by this implementation. This is more of a 0.5 x AMT. AMT makes far more sense in "M" mode if someone doesn't like the AMT head-bob.
  6. The only potential customer base that I see for now - is the enthusiastic group that has been driving manual transmission cars for decades but now with advanced age & tired knees aren't too comfortable using the clutch often in our traffic. For them - this is some sort of a middle ground where they can at least enjoy the stick-shift.

I hope Hyundai doesn't try to market this unit excessively as some ground breaking technology. Companies like Automate in Pune have been retrofitting auto clutches on all cars since years at a relatively low cost (low considering the niche customer base).

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th July 2020 at 09:36.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 10:40   #84
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Venue to get "clutchless" manual transmission (iMT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Transmission Control Unit receives signal from TGS Lever Intention Sensor, indicating drivers desire to change gears.
- TCU sends signal to engage Hydraulic Actuator forming Hydraulic Pressure.
Quoting a snippet from their press release on which I have a small doubt. I am not sure if someone else have already raised it. If yes, kindly ignore.

I would like to know more on how this intention sensor detects that driver wants to change gear. Does it get activated when we touch the gear knob itself or does it get activated only on movement of knob from one gear to another. If it former, it is going to be a big deal for so many folks out there, especially in traffic when most of them have their hand almost always on the gear knob switching between neutral, first and second gear. I am sure Hyundai would have thought about this but would still like to know how it works.

I somehow feel Hyundai is rushing this on Venue without full testing just because Kia was going to do it with Sonet in the next couple of months. Of course Hyundai would have some sort of contract mentioning their rights to release this technology first before its kid Kia, but I still feel there was some loophole which Kia was going to use it with Sonet which prompted Hyundai to rush this with Venue. Hope I am wrong and that Hyundai is not planning to make Indian customers Guinea pigs.
Old 7th July 2020, 15:53   #85
BHPian

Though the post has listed some points as Positives , I don't really think there is any. At the end of the day if the gear change is still required, what does it omit then! And at times there is a role for clutch to hold the car at a steep or downhill. I think this is nothing but an AMT with some gimmicks.
Old 8th July 2020, 09:19   #86
BHPian

For my age, I had done proper research on how transmission in Hero Honda Street worked.
It had centrifugal clutch firstly attached to the crankshaft that avoided stalling in any gear standstill/starting off/moving.

Later it was coupled to multiplate clutch for added safety during gear changes.
The multiplate clutch is engaged by long throw gear pedal which had a rubbery feeling to it.

This way it was totally mechanical system and no electronics involved and I still find one of the street running merrily here in Ratnagiri.

Ratnagiri is a time machine for Cars and bikes where one can find more than 20 year vehicles like Hyundai Accent, Zen, 800, Imported Accord and Kinetic Honda 2stroke running in mint condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
This forum is comprised mostly of enthusiasts who post and who will love proper AT or proper MT. But AMT sells by truckloads and people would warm upto clutchless manual gearbox eventually.
I completely agree with you. What this iMT assures is there are least number of electronic/hydraulic actuators; that is, only one.
This is the only part that fails in transmissions other than manual rather than the belt or fluid coupling or the double clutches.
I have seen hydraulic gear actuators failing in manual Tata trucks!

Mass market buyers do consult a mechanic before buying. They research for what would possibly go wrong and the solutions thereof. For an AMT we have an option to switch over to manual when it fails and its time for a resale.

In case of iMT the chances of failure/breakdown are very slim.
H Karter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 23:14   #87
BHPian

In my opinion, this is a step lower than the AMT. I have driven over 2 lakh Km on manual, before I got my Tiago AMT. When I am in start-stop city traffic, I would simply turn on the AMT, but would use the manual mode on the highway runs. The best part in the manual mode is that you could take it almost to the redline, and if you still did not shift up, the AMT would do the needful. Similarly, when you are applying the brakes quickly, in the manual mode, the AMT does the work and brings the car to neutral, by the time you stop - no downshifting required. I Guess the Venue buyers will be short-changed with the iMT.
MobileThunder is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:34   #88
Senior - BHPian

Prices for the Venue with the intelligent manual transmission (iMT) are out!

SX: Rs 10 lakh
SX (O): Rs 11.08 lakh

Also available in 'Sport' trim with cosmetic add-ons inside and out. Prices:

SX: Rs 10.20 lakh
SX (O): Rs 11.21 lakh

Source - ACI Twitter

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 22nd July 2020 at 12:40.
RM Motorsports is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 12:50   #89
BHPian

Hyundai India has revealed the pricing for the newly announced Hyundai Venue iMT. The Venue iMT will cost Rs 9.90 lakh for the SX trim and Rs 11.09 lakh for the SX(O). The iMT gearbox is exclusively available with the 1.0-litre T-GDI turbo-petrol. Further, Hyundai has also announced a new Sport trim level for the Venue. This will be available with the turbo petrol motor with either iMT or DCT gearbox and with the 1.5-litre diesel manual.

In the turbo-petrol and iMT drivetrain, the Sport trim's prices start at Rs 10.20 lakh for the SX trim, going up to Rs 11.21 lakh for the SX(O). This new variant will come in the SX+ trim level with the turbo-petrol and DCT gearbox option, priced at Rs 11.58 lakh. With the diesel manual, the Sport SX trim costs Rs 10.30 lakh, while the SX(O) comes in at Rs 11.52 lakh.

Notable feature additions to the Sport trim are dual-tone paint, Sport emblem, red brake callipers, gloss-finish front grille with red inserts, grey bumper garnish, grey roof-rail with red inserts and red inserts on wheel arches and side moulding. The interiors come with new steering with red-stitching, metal-finished pedals, grey upholstery with red stitching and red accents on dashboard knobs. The Sport trim with DCT also gets paddle shifters.

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/2...ol-and-diesel/

Source: Overdrive

Last edited by sv97 : 22nd July 2020 at 12:53.
sv97 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 13:38   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
SX (O): Rs 11.08 lakh
With the SX(O) MT being priced at 10.85 lakhs - that's a premium of just 23,000/- for the iMT option.

Also the SX+ DCT option which loses out on features costs 11.5 lakhs.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks