Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2020, 11:32   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai: Crossing 2 km radius could get your vehicle seized

Quote:
Chief minister Uddhav Thackeray has decided to perform the ceremonial puja of Lord Vitthal at Pandharpur temple on the occasion of Ashadhi Ekadashi early on Wednesday amid Covid-19. Uddhav, wife Rashmi and son Aditya left for Pandharpur in Solapur district by road on Tuesday, as the puja has been scheduled between 2.30am-3.30am at Vitthal Mandir.
Is this medical emergency ? or Essential Service?

And talking about 2 km RULE, every 2 km the cops must be saluting the convoy.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/76718957.cms
RM Motorsports is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 12:18   #62
BHPian

I drove to Dahisar and back from Chembur yesterday. No issues at all. Only one car in front of me was stopped near the entrance to the international airport. Seems like the backlash from the public has made the authorities rethink. If anything I actually feel like there were more cars on the road compared to the last 2 times I made the same trip a week back. Only took me 10 min longer.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Makes no sense at all; and will eventually be entirely ineffective.

But. Mumbai is in such bad shape that they'll probably try just about anything now.

Next up: Pooja/Havan
Looks like your prediction came true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
IMO Citizens need to comply & deal with the pandemic as per govt advice.
Saar, govt only doesn't listen to govt's advice. So either we are fools for listening to the advice, or the advice is foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
I am not saying that the 2km rule will bring this thing under control. But the irresponsible responses from some of the fellow Bhpians makes me wonder if we are ever going to get out of this at all!
You are calling members of this forum'irresponsible' based on the fact that they are protesting a govt mandate that the govt doesn't respect?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatmangal View Post
Let's Support our law agencies so that we don't end up adding to the burden of the already burdened healthcare system.
Tirupati is a nice drive from Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
we all can take a leaf our of their book for once and oblige by what the govt says
What the govt says, or what the govt does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
It is good to know that some members are in support of the MH administration.
v1p3r is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 14:20   #64
BHPian

Guys this joke lasted only one day I presume. No checking for commuting beyond 2 kms in eastern Mumbai ( Mulund, Thane) and Navi Mumbai from my observations.
vivek95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:30   #65
BHPian

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesof...come-infected/

Must read for all.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 19:02   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

They had seized 34,000 vehicles for stepping beyond the 2 km limit. I wonder where on earth in a place like Mumbai, where while walking, we do not even get space to put our feet forward, the police managed to park the 34,000 seized vehicles. They plan to return all the impounded vehicles in 4 days. A fourth of these are two wheelers. The decision was the outcome of a meeting between the Chief Minister and his coalition partner leaders.

More of the news here

Quote:
“It is not feasible to keep impounded vehicles with us for too long. There’s a risk of damage or rusting. We do not want a vehicle’s owner to come at us later, complaining about its condition,” said an officer from the eastern suburbs. After impounding a vehicle, the first option for the cops is to tow it to the nearest police station.

For instance, vehicles impounded at the Mulund check naka were towed to the Navghar police station, which is in Mulund (E). It is easier for cops to keep an eye on vehicles in the compound where they work. But space at police stations is limited. On LBS Marg, many vehicles were parked close to the BEST depot and in open areas.

At Jogeshwari, special squads were formed to guard vehicles parked on WEH. At other locations, patrolling police cars or staff on bandobast duty kept an eye on vehicles parked outside police stations or below flyovers. “We were particularly concerned about luxury vehicles like Mercedes, Audi and BMWs. A theft would be very embarrassing for the department and so luxury vehicles had to be kept inside police station compounds only,” said an officer.

Depending on the charges applied in each case, vehicle owners can either make a plea in court or give an affidavit at the police station concerned. “If charges are applied under the IPC’s section 188, the vehicle owner needs to make an application in court for 'return of property’. Once the court gives an order in his favour, the vehicle owner can then approach the police for claiming his car or bike,” said an officer.

In other instances, the police demand a bond -- an affidavit on a Rs 100 stamped paper-- from the vehicle owner and release his vehicle. If the traffic police have issued a challan, then the vehicle owner would have to pay a fine as well At Khar Danda, police have been returning impounded motorcycles on the same day — within five to six hours — to avoid congestion on the roads.
https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...-days/76779565
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 22:09   #67
BHPian

Mumbai: Crossing 2 km radius could get your vehicle seized-screenshot-20200705-10.02.32-pm.png

Well it turns out to be the mother of all retreat. The 2km rule was an appeal, which the police was diligently enforcing and harassing people last week. And what about the fines collected and the vehicles impounded? Guess its just their bad luck.

Only points to the state of affairs currently in Mumbai as no thought is given before enforcing such arbitrary rules.
nick.cs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 11:51   #68
BHPian

Hi hope everyone is safe during these Hard times!

What’s the update with the rule? I know they modified it to say ‘essential closer to home’ and only permitted for work purposes. What what may be close to home for me may be far for them!

Also what if I need to give my car to the garage which is on the other side of the city? Are they still having nakabandi throughout the city and stopping cars to investigate?

I had My friend stopped after this 2km rule came out, even after it was modified , he is a CA Was going to meet his client the cops didn’t listen to him (probably coz he was in casuals?) he showed his visiting card but the cops asked him for a ID. My friend was like it’s my own company what will I do with an ID in my own company which I am the only employee! After much pleading he was let off. But he turned back and headed home because he had enough.

Last edited by Y@SH : 18th July 2020 at 11:53.
Old 18th July 2020, 12:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
What’s the update with the rule?
Yash, the 2 km rule has been scrapped since some time for Mumbai. I checked this with my local police station, they have confirmed it too. I believe the NCP and Congress raised it with our Maharashta CM and got it revoked.

I have been outside the 2 km radius of my residence multiple times, passed the cops too, no issues.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 10:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

The Mumbai police warned people on Tuesday that their vehicles would be impounded and they would be fined if they failed to show a valid reason for motoring about the city.

Late on Tuesday, the city police tweeted from their handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai: Crossing 2 km radius could get your vehicle seized-screenshot_20200819104048.png  

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 12:08   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
The Mumbai police warned people on Tuesday that their vehicles would be impounded and they would be fined if they failed to show a valid reason for motoring about the city.

Late on Tuesday, the city police tweeted from their handle.
It's probably just a knee-jerk reaction to some recent event or a higher-up order. Even if they actually do checks, like last time this rule came out, it'll probably just last for a day at max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post

Are they still having nakabandi throughout the city and stopping cars to investigate?
None seen over the past two weeks.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th August 2020 at 12:15.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 13:37   #72
BHPian

With Ganpati Festival almost here, I don't know how the people will react to this. In coming days many people will go places to bring Ganeshji Idols, including me.

Million dollar question, how should I bring home Ganeshji Idol without getting my vehicle seized.
Old 20th August 2020, 07:09   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
It's probably just a knee-jerk reaction to some recent event or a higher-up order. Even if they actually do checks, like last time this rule came out, it'll probably just last for a day at max.

None seen over the past two weeks.
Absolutely agree, its just a knee jerk reaction or something to fill-in month end targets. Yes Ive observed nothing for the past one month but again since now this rule has come out its very confusing.

Malls are open but going to malls is not? I can't visit my old aunt who's staying alone ? What documents do I carry to visit her her birth certificate & Aadhar? What may be essential for me may not be essential for the cop! Its just a simple way to harass people, nothing else. They have started MSRTC busses within Maharashtra too and no sort of pass required for that, but for us we can't go within Mumbai freely at our own will.

I think its time the police stop to baby sit us. We've been enough at home and now with precautions should be able to travel within Mumbai without restrictions.
Y@SH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 12:10   #74
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I noticed that during peak hour there was no checking / nakabandi because of the traffic mess which happened last time. But around 2.30 pm, when traffic was sparse, I noticed cops randomly stopping cars & bikes and questioning. Though I was not stopped, I am wondering if cops were just pulling over vehicles randomly, trying their luck.
Old 20th August 2020, 12:43   #75
BHPian

Is all this checking etc. still there? I don't see any. I travel Sion to Parel and back 3 times every day including one trip at 12 midnight and there's no checks anywhere. I don't see any signs of lockdown at all. Infact traffic increased to more than pre covid days. Today GMaps showed me 29 minutes when during lockdown times it took just 14 mins for the 10 kms drive.

The only place I faced issue is on the Marine Drive where the cops don't let you walk or sit by the promenade. Rest everywhere it was easy, no checks all the way till Lonavala on the Expressway side and Igatpuri on Thane side. I drive a TS registered car.

Last edited by bharatbits : 20th August 2020 at 12:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks