Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2020, 23:28   #16
BHPian

re: Hyundai Elantra 1.5L Diesel BS6 launched at Rs. 18.70 lakh

I wonder where the new city stands here. If Honda can get the build quality intact this time (claims are so) they will be having the upgraded equipment and interior setup which may actually rival the Elantra diesel now. (Verna's rear seat is a terrible place to be very frank)

Practicality wise City diesel maybe a decent option to the Elantra diesel (NVH factor aside)
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 23:36   #17
BANNED

re: Hyundai Elantra 1.5L Diesel BS6 launched at Rs. 18.70 lakh

I have never been a fan of the Elantra considering that fact that it always got the 1.6 CRDi even though the Tucson had the 2.0L CRDi. Keeping the engines aside, I never found the Elantra comfortable at the rear. The sloppy roof meant a clear compromise on the rear headroom. This whole “1.5 CRDi for all” policy of Hyundai feels pathetic to me. I can understand they wanted the same engine but at least give the Elantra a higher state of tune.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 19:23   #18
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elantra 1.5L Diesel BS6 launched at Rs. 18.70 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post

Honda - The Civic when launched was a phenomenal package and offered a lot for the money, even with the diesel missing, it sold like hot cakes but then Honda decided to quit the D Segment for good until last year entering back with the new generation Civic but messed up the game big time thanks to sluggish CVT with no Manual and a low powered Diesel engine.
The sluggish CVT is one of the main reasons why the civic is not selling in the anticipated numbers. Wish Honda gives it a 6 speed manual so that owners can exploit that sweet 1.8 vtec motor to its limits. Giving the manual will also help in pricing the civic a lakh and half cheaper.
klgiridhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 20:03   #19
BHPian

I always loved the Elantra. It's a design that melts in my heart (pre-facelifted model). After it having a major change both front and rear - I haven't seen a single facelifted Elantra in Calcutta. I feel this is to do with the downgraded engine and a controversial design. The same facelifted Elantra looks bomb in 17inch and 18inch stance. Wheels change the car drastically.

Hyundai Elantra 1.5L Diesel BS6 launched at Rs. 18.70 lakh-images-20200625t195446.543.jpeg
17inch wheels

Hyundai Elantra 1.5L Diesel BS6 launched at Rs. 18.70 lakh-images-20200625t195424.565.jpeg
18inch wheels

I understand the India road but the smaller 16inchers with these above designs could have given it a lift.

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 25th June 2020 at 20:05.
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 22:28   #20
BHPian

Elantra is a beautiful car, but it really does not come with lot more features than Verna - variant to variant. Given that the diesel mill is the same, all that you get then over hhe Verna will be a little more space and a bigger wheel (but it matters for cars in which you have great road feedback and all that; not sure how Elantra performs).

It will make more sense to have the Verna top variant itself today, if you make a compromise with the rear space. Otherwise, City makes more sense. But, again, is it having a diesel here? And, given the new City's build etc, we have to see how its dynamics and performance will be like.
Old 26th June 2020, 01:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I always loved the Elantra. It's a design that melts in my heart (pre-facelifted model). After it having a major change both front and rear - I haven't seen a single facelifted Elantra in Calcutta. I feel this is to do with the downgraded engine and a controversial design.
IMO, it's more about the products offered by the competition and it's own sibling. Our country has anyway become much more SUV & Crossover driven due to the practicality they offers hence it's highly likely that consumers are picking up the Seltos DCT & Creta DCT over the Elantra owing to the Extremely good equipment on offer along with a better set of mechanicals when compared to Elantra. It just doesn't seems like a Value for money when you look at the products available in the same range.
Old 26th June 2020, 01:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

It’s launches like these that make me hold on to my beloved Jetta TDI so much more. My six year old runs 175bhp with simple remap (that a lot of bhains also have) - I got it for 16.xx lacs on road then

Compare that to 25 lacs being asked for 110-120 bhp cars these days (Elantra and Civic)’!!

Last edited by manson : 26th June 2020 at 02:43. Reason: Typo.
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 15:24   #23
BHPian

This is the most profitable way for Hyundai to sell their cars especially the ones costing 10 lakhs and above,which fetch them a higher profit margin than the budget car segment.They just need to produce one engine in two states of tune to plonk in all of their cars,just like what Maruti did with Fiat's 1.3 Multijet..Another reason supporting this statement is that D-Segment Sedans are the ones which are sold in very limited numbers as customers tend to incline towards the SUV segment for the same price.Therefore the company did not find it economical enough to develop a new diesel engine and plonking in Tuscon's 2.0 Diesel would make it seriously expensive.
Old 26th June 2020, 15:53   #24
BHPian

This .. laziness? Sloppiness? Taking for grantedness? Whatever you term it of carmakers in India is astounding.

So two diesels ply the entire Hyundai / Kia range right from the Nios at some 7lakhs INR right, Venue, Seltos / New Creta, Verna and now the Elantra at around 25l INR.

This is astounding! I understand the need to minimise costs but imo they need to have 3 engines at least. In simple bracketing,

A & B segment, C segment and finally D/ D+

This will provide some good differentiation.

Right now the only difference between a Verna or New Creta or Elantra diesel is the dimensions and look and feel.
Stribog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 16:18   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
I haven't seen a single facelifted Elantra
There's one that belongs to a very rich (in the number of cars) garage in our area.
The DRLs are super-bright, so bright that they become really annoying on the eyes, especially in the 6000k colour temperature!

Apart from the DRLs, there's nothing remarkable about the car which makes you take a second look. In terms of looks, the sister Seltos looks much better!
sharktale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 16:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharktale View Post
There's one that belongs to a very rich (in the number of cars) garage in our area.
The DRLs are super-bright, so bright that they become really annoying on the eyes, especially in the 6000k colour temperature!

Apart from the DRLs, there's nothing remarkable about the car which makes you take a second look. In terms of looks, the sister Seltos looks much better!
When we wanted to test drive the new Elantra. They never had a facelifted car available for test drive
Neither were they eager to sell the car. I understood which garage you are reffering to.

Last edited by momsonlydriver : 26th June 2020 at 16:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks