Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Skoda Rapid - Base variant 638 78.96%
Any Compact Sedan - Top variant 170 21.04%
Voters: 808. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 20:55   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

For 8.5 lakhs on road the Rapid Rider is an absolute steal.

Am not a big fan of blingy/gimmicky features especially if there are sensible variants with everything else I need.

The Rider variant has all the basics covered, and even stuff that most manufacturers would delete in base variants or even in facelifts like front/rear headrests/armrests, plug points, cabin lights all are there in the Rider.

The steering wheel does look sad, and would have liked folding electric ORVMs too
The headlights/fog lamps of the Ambition variant gives it a mini Octavia feel, but that's about it.
Ain't giving 2.5 lakhs more for that, considering the Riders front looks smart as well and.... cheaper headlights parts cost? (sour grapes)

Add to that, the main item from reviews a stonker of an engine, and though ideally shouldn't be touching a VAG product, the extendable to 6 years warranty safety net makes the Rapid Rider an irresistible option.

Both the white and grey colours options are fine. Would just plonk in the Matone alloys from the Ambition variant (50k I guess), everyone thinks they are boring but I just love the classy look.

Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims)?-screenshot_20200617202715.png

Pic from Teambhpian sachin_cs's awesome ownership review
Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims)?-15g-fav-shot.jpg

The only thing I can't understand is the Rider's power window console.
Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims)?-screenshot_20200617202302.png

Don't get me wrong, know this is a base variant. I wouldn't have bat an eyelid if they gave rear manual windows.
But to give rear power windows and no buttons for the driver to control?

Did they have any Fabia window console stocks lying around?

Last edited by DicKy : 17th June 2020 at 20:58.
DicKy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 21:26   #47
BANNED

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

It is nice to see that Skoda has so many takers despite their concerted efforts over the years to shoo the customer away.
The Rapid / Vento is a good solid car and is definitely worth buying at this price. The sub 4 m cars are always a compromise and built to lower safety and stability standards.
For someone who is not into gadgetry ( like me) and sees no value addition with alloys etc, the Rapid Rider is an excellent option.
It appears that someone high up in Skoda has started listening to the market feedback. They need to price the spares, consumables and services on par with the industry to grab a larger share of the pie. Best of luck Skoda !
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 23:00   #48
BHPian

Voted for the Rapid base variant. Eager to test drive it and take a call on getting one. But if not this base variant, I'll go in for an Aspire diesel. I have the Figo 1.5TDCi and that's a stonker of an engine with good dynamics. The Rapid base variant, has all the basics covered. I'm not much into gizmos, fancy touch screens. The steering wheel could have been better. I'd probably just swap the steel rims for some nice after market alloys and if the stock speakers aren't good, probably change that.
Old 17th June 2020, 23:55   #49
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes.

I'd guess the users who have heavy running and spend a lot of time in the car would not buy a Rapid due to maintenance concerns. A Rapid would burn a much bigger hole in the pocket than a Maruti Dzire for 10-15,000 km/year. If the annual running is 5-6,000 km, Rapid makes sense.
Old 18th June 2020, 00:36   #50
BHPian

Voted yes.

At this price point, I am willing to take risk of handling the infamous skoda service. Rapid as a product is superior to any of the matching compact sedans at the same price point.
Old 18th June 2020, 00:57   #51
BHPian

Voted for the Rapid!

I can live with the downsides. However, you can't buy more legroom, boot space, fuel tank, image and appeal of a higher segment etc.

List of features that could be added without any fuss is,
- Alloy wheels (Plenty of aftermarket options)
- Fog lamps
- Headlight projectors (Morimoto/Hella types)
- Leather steering wrap.

ICE - Can junk the stock audio for a Pioneer/Sony touchscreen with all features like Android Auto, Carplay, Reverse cam, Steering control retrofits, Component speakers, Additional sub etc.

Things we may have to live with -
- No MID (Possible to solve using OBD2 based apps on android HU's)
- Non-height adjustable seats. (Again, not impossible to upgrade)
- Lame front power window controls.

Overall, though this car is less equipped than my current Punto Emotion. A quick TD convinced me to go for the upgrade. Might book one in a couple of months if things are favourable!

Last edited by Na_sh : 18th June 2020 at 00:59.
Na_sh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 00:57   #52
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I would any day choose the Rapid rider over any compact sedans in the market today. The reasons I might choose a hatchback over the Rapid could be for a diesel engine (Figo) or an automatic.

I see the rider variant the best option for the taxi and uber drivers. It will be easier to break even. Waiting to see the sales report of Rapid in the coming months.
Old 18th June 2020, 01:29   #53
BHPian

Day 1 of poll, over 300 responses, with more than 80% opting for Rapid Rider! This package has sure caught the fancy of a lot of petrolheads, and should be a sign of good things to come in sales figures. Hope Skoda is focussed on the A.S.S as well to back this up.

On another note, this seems like one of the hottest and most dominant polls we have had!

Last edited by Caffeinated : 18th June 2020 at 01:33.
Old 18th June 2020, 03:11   #54
BHPian

Not as long as the Aspire TDCi exists. If i can get an Aspire Titanium+ TDCi for the price of a base rapid, then Aspire it is, for me, every-single-time. Also ( not talking about abroad, just mod shops here ), factory feature set is always better integrated than any external installations from shops. I would gladly choose a fully specced cheaper car with full warranty coverage vs tinkering in aftermarket with higher segment car, voiding warranty, especially for a brand like Skoda with it's history.

Last edited by SaiSW : 18th June 2020 at 03:14.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 03:44   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted yes! A well built car with an excellent engine & decent features at a mouthwatering price! So why not?

Give me a car with just few basic/essential features, but with a stonker of an engine, I will be a happy person.
No wonder I happily drive an Etios petrol.

Between 2000-2010, we had petrol cars with 1.5 or 1.6L NA engines generating around 90-105 Bhp within a budget of Rs 10 Lakhs. Those were the fun days.

Then suddenly with all the tax capping, the fun was killed. Between 2010 to 2020 the cars with the 1.2L engines producing around 80-90 Bhp dominated the market. Though we had some fun to drive diesels, but regarding petrol engines the choice was very limited. The Boosterjet/ Ecoboost/1.2 Tsi were there but most of the time, these cars costed north of one million rupee on road.

And now suddenly the new launches with the 1.0L turbo petrol engines producing 100+ Bhp in cars like Rapid, Polo, Aura, Nios and costing below Rs 10 Lakh on road is definitely like a fresh air for the enthusiasts.

By adding the diesel Figo/Aspire with the above list, the fun cars are back again at a reasonable price range.

Most importantly Skoda has pointed, how overpriced the sub 4 meter sedans or the premium hatchbacks are in our market! I just hope they give a good service backup and keep their customers happy.

Last edited by Samba : 18th June 2020 at 03:55.
Samba is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 10:29   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
So, would you buy the Rapid 1.0 (base variant) over equivalently priced compact sedans (top variants)?
I definitely would, based on my ownership of a year old Rapid Ambition Diesel. Though the Petrol 1.0 would lack the efficiency and the low-end punch of the Diesel, the sheer solidity, ride quality and high speed stability of the chassis makes me vote for the Rapid.

But having said that, the eternal Skoda-India shortcoming, of its After-Sales-Service is EVER-LURKING. Note the issue I am facing now:

My car is up for its 30K Km service and I tried to book a service appointment with Pinnacle Skoda - Calicut; none of their numbers were reachable. I am told, Pinnacle has shut shop and an alternate dealership is being pondered, but delayed due to the COVID crisis.

I emailed the Head of Skoda-After Sales Service and requested a solution, on if I could buy the filters and consumables from them and service the vehicle from a FNG. NO RESPONSE. I called the nearest available service center in Ernakulam on if they could assist, but it involves a 360Km drive to their location that I am unwilling to undertake in these times.

I do agree, things change, but a responsible manufacturer needs to keep its customers INFORMED and give them OPTIONS. It matters all the more, for the devoted car-guys on this forum. who would miss a doctor-appointment but not a scheduled service.

In short, the new Rapid 1.0 Tsi is unbelievable value at that price point, but I wish Skoda-India got its service act right.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th June 2020 at 13:21. Reason: Fixed broken quote tags.
KANNURAN is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 10:33   #57
Senior - BHPian

Voted "Yes"

In the era of gadget frenzy, I'm happy to see a manufacturer giving a car that has the basic needs fulfilled at the best levels on the given price point. Btw, it is unfortunate that we have come to this state where we call Rapid/Vento the best handling cars in the segment. Those better ones, Fiesta and Linea, have bitten dust.

Secondly, Skoda service has come a long way from where they were, at least in my city. I can do a Skoda to Hyundai service comparison, and I'd say Skoda charges less labor charges. Parts prices mostly remain comparable.
WhiteKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 10:56   #58
BHPian

I think the latest Rapid 1.0 is amongst the best VFM deals in the Indian Automarket and it is surprising that a company like Skoda has offered it , not the Ubiquitous Maruti or the Korean Giant Hyundai.

As reiterated by many, it is a perfectly engineered car - Robust Body, Efficient Engine with peppy power, Spacious Cabin & Boot , good ride quality -which might lack certain features that are not , in any way, deal breakers.

Skoda, despite its horror stories of service, is considered a premium brand and middle class place it one notch over Maruti/hyundai/tata and an average user would not be able to differentiate between the Rapids and hence , be treated as premium.
poised2drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 11:13   #59
BHPian

As a product, I would definitely go with the Skoda Rapid for almost everything about it. Great looks, well sorted out ride and handling, interior quality, overall build quality, safety etc. But as a car that comes from a manufacturer who isn't doing much to shake off it's image of being a money pit, I might be forced to look for other options as the ownership experience is less likely to be a sweet affair in the long term.

Many of my friends who owns VW or Skoda cars are having to spend a considerable amount on upkeep and some of them are having some persistent niggles which are expensive to fix. One of them who owns a Vento double checks with his friend in a Bosch service center every time the service supervisor advises a part replacement or an expensive repair. More often than not, he found most of them unnecessary or something that could be done much cheaper ordering the part from other sources and getting it fixed outside the official service center.

I appreciate Skoda for bringing out an aggressively priced base variant with most of the essential features covered. But they need an overhaul of brand image to succeed especially as most buyers in the price segment are concerned about the ownership costs.
nuew is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 11:21   #60
BHPian

Suddenly VW Polo seems to be premium pricing !!
Rapid is going to make sure the Polo TSI models doesn't sell.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks