Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Skoda Rapid - Base variant 638 78.96%
Any Compact Sedan - Top variant 170 21.04%
Voters: 808. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 15:10   #31
BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

Voted for the Skoda Rapid Rider.
The Rapid Rider is an extremely value for money at this price and even if I will miss out on some features which I may be getting in other compact sedans, I think the I will surely be getting a better car with much better build quality, driving dynamics, and proper sedan characteristics. However, if I would require a diesel engine, I don't think I will be considering any other car except the Figo/Freestyle/Aspire if the maximum budget is set at Rs 10 lakh.
MrBeast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 15:21   #32
BHPian

Re: Would you buy the Skoda Rapid 1.0 (base trim) over similarly-priced Compact Sedans (higher trims

Voted for the Rapid and in fact I took the plunge of booking one!
I test drove the car and it connected instantaneously, not many cars do that If I have to mention. I already have the Aspire Sports edition and I am spoilt by the 1.5 TDCi Mill. The engine is a gem and totally VFM from an ownership perspective.
The need for a larger boot & some extra space at the rear came up and the Rapid came just in time. I was a bit reluctant initially on the numbers (1 Liter, 3 Cylinder, Skoda A.S.S Stories) but the moment I took it for a spin I was sold! Trust me you need to do that.
Rider offers all that I need and that’s pretty much my ask.
Sabrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 15:49   #33
BHPian

I may sound biased as I own Skoda Rapid TDI. Having said that, I test drove i20, Ford Aspire diesel, Nexon diesel, XUV300 petrol and diesel, Vento and Dezire petrol. All of the compact sedans top end were in the range of 9-10.5 lakhs on road. The compact SUVs were around 12-13 lakhs.

Skoda Rapid ambition model for 11 lacs on road brought to the table :

a) A full size sedan
b) Spacious
c) Powerful engine
d) Built quality better than compact sedans and matches that of compact SUVs
e) Better Dynamics and drivability.

Now with TSI engine for Rs 7.47 lakhs, nothing would match value per rupee spend. Add to that, you would save around a lakh if you dont go for top end compact sedans and use that to modify/ accessorize Rapid.
Tuisha110HP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• As the only car of the house, yes, I would pick the Rapid.
Voted for Skoda Rapid - Base variant. In fact, that's what I did. I got myself a Skoda Rapid Ambition (P) in 2017. For that money spent, I would have easily got a fully-loaded compact sedan / premium hatch. For me, the overall feel of big car (the engine, long wheelbase, and driving characteristics) weighed more than those gizmos you get in a fully-loaded compact sedan.
vijayshouree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:20   #35
BHPian

100% for Rapid Rider

As a buyer, first I will fix my budget to be some value and this is the reason why many decide to buy the compact sedans in the Rs.6-9 Lakhs market because there is no proper sedans available in that pricing. At least in my perspective, nobody wishes to buy a compact sedan in the first place. They buy compact sedans because they feel it is slightly better than a hatchback but in their price range.

The Rapid Rider is going to be a successful launch by Skoda & Kudos to them for their attempt in trying to build a good base in the Indian market.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:27   #36
BHPian

My vote is for the Rapid only. An ex-showroom price of Rs.7.5 lakhs get me a proper 3 box sedan. We have rightly pointed out in the pros list; even though Rapid design is decade old, it has aged very well and the facelift in 2017 makes it look only majestic. Less features and an excellent 1.0 TSI engine in that taut chassis makes the Rapid package feel raw.

The features I would miss in Rapid Rider

- Android Auto / Apple CarPlay
- steering mounted controls
- Fog lamps
-Alloy wheels

Of these, we can get alloy wheels and an Android Auto compatible HU or even the RCD340G HU from aftermarket. Should not be a problem at all. So Rapid Rider it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
[*]Limited colour choice – The Rapid Rider is available in 4 colours only. These include Brilliant Silver, Candy White, Carbon Steel and Toffee Brown.
?
No, Rapid Rider comes only in Candy White and Carbon Steel shades. Please correct the same.
Old 17th June 2020, 17:33   #37
BHPian

Firstly, I don't believe in the category called compact sedans (or compact SUVs for that matter- WRV, Venue kind). For the same money, I will always go for a premium hatch. If I need a sedan, I will ensure that I wait and get a full-size sedan. Given the money, it's rapid for me. With 7 years on the VW GT TSI, I somehow (touch all the woods) trust the SVWAPL team.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:42   #38
BHPian

There are 2 kinds of buyers - the feature conscious & the value conscious. No one is right or wrong, it just boils down to personal preference.
Any day, I would pick a base model of a higher segment car because:
1. Amount of R&D that has gone into the larger car.
2. Stronger Chassis of a bigger car.
3. Larger wheelbase - better control at highway speeds.
4. Simply more space - Feeling of owning a bigger car.
5. Safety aspects of a larger car.(Vento is 4star rated)

If anyone reading this thread is planning to buy the Rider, rest assured, it is very well equipped. I've listed out a few reasons why this is an excellent buy here
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4812145 (The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs)

Obviously I voted for the Rider.

Last edited by John316_WRC : 17th June 2020 at 17:45. Reason: Edited point no.4
John316_WRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 17:48   #39
BHPian

Voted for Rapid Rider and with reason.

I own a Rapid TDI myself and haven't faced any of the issues this brand is notorious for in this forum (touch wood). This car has protected me and my family on several occasions. Couldn't ask for more. And my car can still give bigger & newer cars a run for their money on the highway - it flies and how!

With Zac Hollis on board, the brand is moving in the right direction.

Last edited by JojyKerala : 17th June 2020 at 17:49.
JojyKerala is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 18:00   #40
BHPian

I would buy a segment lower but fully loaded rather than a bare minimum car from a segment higher. The engine, built quality and ride are all important but so are the extra features for me.
Old 17th June 2020, 18:55   #41
BHPian

Nobody should own any Skoda as their primary or only vehicle. Skoda ASS are sadistic and I have seen enough verbal dual there to even think of owning a skoda. This certain model of Rapid is no doubt a value for money product but then again if you want piece of mind it is better to avoid Skoda. So no, I would never buy a skoda.
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 19:24   #42
Team-BHP Support

Voted for the Rapid Rider.

For Rs. 7.49 lakhs ex-showroom, I am not sure what is the dealer margin for this variant. A disruptive pricing model maybe?

White model + cool alloys + new tires straight off the showroom, black roof and the RCD360 head unit. I am all set. At least for some time until my hands start itching for another set of mods like the flat bottom steering wheel, cruise control etc.

For people complaining about Skoda's service, their service has seen a marked improvement over the recent years. Checkout the recent reviews from the current owners. If someone isn't satisfied and has ranted about it somewhere (Twitter, Team BHP), Zac himself is known to pursue the case and give a dressing-down to the dealership/service center!

Wishlist - Skoda launching a Rider AT variant at Rs. 1 lakh more. Please?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th June 2020 at 19:26.
Gannu_1 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 19:51   #43
BHPian

Voted for Skoda Rapid base variant. However, this is only if I have an option to buy the Petrol variant.
If I had an option to choose diesel variant, I would go for Ford Aspire Diesel eyes closed. Though the build quality of Aspire is not Ford-like I would still prefer it in the Diesel avatar.
Old 17th June 2020, 20:12   #44
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes! Here's why:-

1) Build Quality & Safety - Unlike some of the so-called 'tin-cans', this is a well built Czech sedan with 2 Airbags & ABS.
2) Driving Experience - None of the others (Dzire, Aspire, Tigor [Non-JTP]) can offer the feel of driving that 'big-car'.
3) Features - For the price it comes at, it offers plenty of features (Stereo, ACC, One-touch power windows, Rear AC Vents, MID)

I would rather buy a Rapid and then spend another lakh or so in getting an OEM Touchscreen and Alloys rather than having a smaller Compact Sedan.
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 20:36   #45

Voted for the compact sedans.

We were recently faced with the same dilemma- we had to cancel our pre-lockdown booking of Ford Aspire Titanium Plus due to some reasons, we were now looking for an alternative. Test drove the Honda Amaze and found it to be a decent car.

But just a day before booking the amaze, the Rapid was launched with a really attractive price tag. I immediately showed interest by contacting the Skoda showroom in Noida- and till date (it has been 17 days since) I haven't got a follow up call from them.

Moreover, the car will be used by my parents, and as they intend to shift to our hometown (a tier-2 city in Madhya Pradesh) in about 4 years of time, a quick check showed that the nearest service center would be 400 km away

Since Amaze fulfilled all our requirements, it was a no-brainer to go for it after all this. Waiting for the delivery now.

Skoda must increase its outreach to cities other than the metropolitan ones and should work upon its image of it wants to get a foothold in the Indian market.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th June 2020 at 21:30. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks