Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2020, 12:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Mitsubishi planning Creta, Fortuner rivaling SUVs

According to a media report, Mitsubishi is looking for a new partner to revive its India business and is said to be planning Creta and Fortuner rivaling SUVs.

Rumour: Mitsubishi planning Creta, Fortuner rivaling SUVs-2020mitsubishioutlandermmp1jpg1570732410.jpg

The report states that Mitsubishi is in talks with a major component manufacturer from Jamshedpur. The talks are said to have reached an advanced stage and the deal could be finalized by the end June 2020. The new partner is expected to invest Rs. 500 crore, which could be used to set up a new assembly line.

Mitsubishi is looking at products that could compete with the Hyundai Creta and Toyota Fortuner. Unlike its CBU offerings, the new cars will have more locally sourced parts, which should allow the company to price them competitively. Mitsubishi is also said to be evaluating the Eclipse and Eclipse Cross for India.

It has also been reported that Mitsubishi could expand its dealer network before production kicks off sometime in 2022. At present, the brand has just 11 dealerships in India.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 12th June 2020 at 12:44.
TusharK is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 12:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Mitsubishi planning Creta, Fortuner rivaling SUVs

I didn't know Mitsubishi was still active in India. Had to go around the forum to see they are still selling the Outlander here. I really wish they make a good come back here.

Anyhow, the Creta and the Fortuner fall under completely different size segments right? I'm curious as to what kind of a rabbit they will pull out of the hat.
ka51resident is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 13:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, Mitsubishi is looking for a new partner to revive its India business and is said to be planning Creta and Fortuner rivaling SUVs.
Why bother at all. I am really sure that even if they try, they won't succeed thanks to their frequent & now standard half hearted efforts. Then - trying to tackle the leaders like Creta / Fortuner? Wow. Yawn.
This seems like a rumour at most. Don't see it becoming a reality. (Of course - would be happy if proven wrong. Always liked Mitsubishi as an engineering & automotive brand. They are generally very good at what they do!)
Quote:
The report states that Mitsubishi is in talks with a major component manufacturer from Jamshedpur. The talks are said to have reached an advanced stage and the deal could be finalized by the end June 2020. The new partner is expected to invest Rs. 500 crore, which could be used to set up a new assembly line.
I just mentioned half-hearted and here is the sample of that. 500 Cr? In today's automotive/manufacturing industrial space, 500 Cr can't even be considered as the proverbial "peanuts". This investment number is laughable even if its the share of a "partner".

The ship of Indian market has sailed a decade ago for Mitsubishi & any investment they make should only be to gracefully wind-down the business & sell assets IMHO.
Reinhard is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 13:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

A Manual Transmission, Body On Frame, Conventional 4WD, Fortuner Rivaling SUV by Mitsubishi will be welcome

Relaunching Pajero Sport (Wait for the new gen Mitsubishi) in India is what im pointing at.

Last edited by karan561 : 12th June 2020 at 13:27.
karan561 is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 13:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka51resident View Post
I didn't know Mitsubishi was still active in India. Had to go around the forum to see they are still selling the Outlander here. I really wish they make a good come back here.
That was before 1st April 2020 because I don't think they have any products right now with BS6 compliance. I am a bit confident about this because I am probably the rare BHPian who visited the only Mitsubishi showroom in Bhubaneswar around January-February to check the Outlander after the price-cut and the sales-person had no clue about any upcoming BS6 launch.
Off-topic: Did not drive, but felt wonderful inside. Did not deserve a 20+ lac price tag though, but I may have considered to get one for a few seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka51resident View Post
Anyhow, the Creta and the Fortuner fall under completely different size segments right? I'm curious as to what kind of a rabbit they will pull out of the hat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Then - trying to tackle the leaders like Creta / Fortuner? ...I just mentioned half-hearted and here is the sample of that. 500 Cr? In today's automotive/manufacturing industrial space, 500 Cr can't even be considered as the proverbial "peanuts". This investment number is laughable even if its the share of a "partner".
Maybe they are trying to badge-engineer some products from their Renault-Nissan alliance with some changes. Otherwise Maruti has spent more on development of some of their entry level models (the Alto 800 cost ₹ 470 crores as per the official review), so I won't hold my breath. Although I am a big fan of almost all of their cars and secretly hoping to get a used Pajero some day, but the current scenario is not very confidence inspiring, both in terms of products and service.
Researcher is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 13:45   #6
BHPian

Mitsubishi, once a cult brand in India, now forgotten. The first mistake it had done was partnering with Hindustan Motors.

Then, with abysmal service & minuscule number of dealerships, it refused to bring it updated versions of popular offerings such as the Lancer & Pajero Sport.

If Mitsubishi wants to regain even a fraction of its position that it once had, boy, it will need much more than 500 crores. Once question though, who will be willing to partner with Mitsubishi, as it has zero brand recall in most major markets?

Dear Mitsubishi, if you're listening, please bring in all your competent products, and don't forget to bring in the Pajero Sport at a mouth watering price. Plus, you're still selling the Lancer in China, why don't you bring that, & watch how the teens of the 2000s (now adults) flock into your dealerships!
BZ25 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 13:46   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Maybe they are trying to badge-engineer some products from their Renault-Nissan alliance with some changes. Otherwise Maruti has spent more on development of some of their entry level models (the Alto 800 cost ₹ 470 crores as per the official review), so I won't hold my breath. Although I am a big fan of almost all of their cars and secretly hoping to get a used Pajero some day, but the current scenario is not very confidence inspiring, both in terms of products and service.
Exactly. Although, badge engineering will be successful in cases like Toyota-Maruti. Badge engineering the flop Renault-Nissan products (there I said it) to create another failed product nameplate makes no sense. And then - I'm sure the capacity at Renault-Nissan plants is currently lying unused. Setting up another assembly line for Mitsubishi (like mentioned in the OP) makes absolutely no case.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 14:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:

Link to Team-BHP News
Too many loose ends with the article. Though the brand still resonates with performance oriented vehicles, with its new global ownership structure, I doubt if something fruitful would come out of it

Rather than chasing volumes or fitting into a current segment of Cretas or Fortuners, I think they can start along the following lines:

1. Start with an aspirational vehicle - Pajero Mini or Pajero Sport completely built in India. By 2022, the new Thar would have stablized and Tata may have a product as well, so it would be a fresh product that people can relate to and buy

2. Bring back a drivers' sedan - The platforms are already there and demand may be low now as preference for SUVs is on the rise, but a niche performance sedan would have its fan base in India

3. To think relative volumes, maybe a good Van / MPV product that can be differentiated from Toyotas, kias, Tatas and Mahindras will find a good market if above 2 are executed properly.

Above all the Indian Partner should trust Mistibushi and in return Mistibushi should provide a proper guidance on what can be achieved with the right economics
diwakarmuthu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 14:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

I dont know why some of the home grown Indian auto makers dont make a bid for Mitsubishi. They've been forever been in partnership with someone or the other.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 14:27   #10
BHPian

According to the current Mitsubishi lineup the Eclipse Cross would be a perfect rival for the Creta. The Pajero Sport would rival for the Fortuner as usual.

The Pajero Sport can nudge of the Fortuner if priced Properly. However it would be hard for the Eclipse Cross to challenge the Creta.

But it won't be easy for them . They are basically dead in India just like Fiat. Half the people have forgotten that they even exist in the market. It would be hard to attract costomers with there current image.

But I think that the new Pajero Sport can change that.The Pajero Sport is a respected name in the Indian SUV scene. They just need to advertise and price it properly. That would help them regain there image.

Then they can bringing in the Eclipse Cross after they have established themselves.

If they want to get a share in the market, they need price their cars properly. Not like the Outlander (costs around 27 lacs).

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 12th June 2020 at 14:54.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 14:40   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Mitsubishi needs to be aggressive about our market. It speaks volumes for the brand, when most users are still in love with their cars despite years of lethargy shown by the company as a whole. Whether it was the Lancer, Cedia or the Pajero sports, their cars have always been a hoot to drive and largely pretty reliable. I just hope if they plan to enter the market again then they do so with the intent to succeed and not just for mere presence on a powerpoint somewhere in an air-cooled cabin!
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 17:15   #12
BHPian

Came across a beautiful 20-year old Lancer with 300k on the odo and an asking price of Rs. 1.5 lakhs. The car had at least 4 to 5 prospective buyers. Goes to show how the Lancer is a much-loved model in India.

I hope the management apply their brains this time and opt for introducing the Pajero, Eclipse Cross and Lancer at price points that are accessible to fans.
JojyKerala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 17:58   #13
BHPian

I am so happy to read about Mitsubishi's return in India with a better partner.

As a current owner of the 2013 Pajero Sport I have become absolute fan of this brand when it comes to product quality. No other product among the current options matches the Pajero Sport when it comes to being a complete package with ride, handling, comfort for 7 passengers (Fortuner always fell short in this department); features (MuX falls short here) and reliability, longevity (Endeavour somehow doesnt inspire enough confidence for a 10 year ownership tenure). Only a new generation Pajero Sport seems apt replacement for my older generation car. I just hope that the Mitsubishi brings a top specification version with all the features including that great Rockford Fosgate ICE.

I also wish that the Mitsubishi brings its other global products like Outlander and others to India in a CKD and non-petrol options to keep the prices realistic and to survive the competition here. Eagerly awaiting for 2022 (I really wish their re-entry date was set earlier) now to replace my Pajero Sport with a new one!

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 12th June 2020 at 18:00.
46TheDoctor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 18:29   #14
BHPian

I hope they also provide spares and support to existing Mitsubishi owners in India- will earn much needed goodwill. Apart from outdated and overpriced products, Mitsubishi has suffered the most because of this inspite of having very good cars
Yamaha did that after taking over control of JV.

They can start from Jamshedpur itself, by helping with spares for my Cedia

FYI there was just Mitsubishi dealership in Jharkhand, which is also shut down

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 12th June 2020 at 18:42.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 20:18   #15
BANNED

Mitsubishi never left India officially but they have been gone unofficially for so long that a whole generation of kids grew up never hearing about this brand. If they come back now, it will probably perceived by some, outside enthusiasts circle, as a new brand. But, they need to piggy-ride Tata or Mahindra for dealership tie-ups. They need some serious reach into small towns and only our desi boys other than Maruti/Hyundai have this reach. Without this they cannot survive. They are not in the business of selling a rupees 5 crore luxury sedans/SUV that they can just operate out of Del/Mum. I believe, currently, no. of their dealerships pan-India will be in single digit.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks