Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you buy one today?
Yes 543 75.63%
No 175 24.37%
Voters: 718. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2022, 19:03   #106

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
General query!

What's current market rate for Jetta? I'm seeing 6.5lakh to 12 lakh for 2012-2014 models on OLX (Hyderabad) for cars with 80K+ to 1.5lakh kms milage.

What will be a fair price for 2.0TDI with less than 1lakh Km milage? Also will it be a good idea to buy a car which is not in production for such long time at the price mentioned above (this will be the primary car for weekend trips or long drives)
Hi Ashish,

I bought a mid 2011, 80k km run, fairly well maintained 2.0 TDI MT comfortline Jetta in mid 2016 for roughly INR 6.50 lakhs. I used the car for about 3 years, replaced tyres and battery during my ownership and sold it off in Mar/April 2019 for INR 5.80 lakhs with 1.20 lakh km on the odo.

Going by my experience the prices being quoted now are on the higher side. But, I guess all cars have become quite expensive since then. Still anything over 30% of purchase price for such old cars is not worth.

Even though my ownership experience had been really nice, you will always be anxious taking cars of such vintage and mileage to even slightly remote places. Again, not worth the risk as per me.

I feel the used car marketplaces with deep pockets combined with long waiting periods for new cars are responsible for insane used car prices.
boombox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 18:18   #107
BHPian

I own a 2013 Jetta Comfortline TDI MT bought new. Here are issues i have had so far at 98,000km now:
  1. Water pump replaced
  2. AC value replaced (~10k done at local AC garage)
  3. Fuel cap lock replaced
  4. Headliner repaired (~8k)
  5. Front brake pads replaced
I also own a 2010 accord and I can say the jetta is built solid (more so than the accord in terms of body work, paint, interiors).

A good buy or not is simply upto your mind set, situation and finding the right car.
If this is your only car and you can't afford downtime it's better to buy a more commonly sold car so that when things do go wrong you can have it up and running in max 2 days or so. The jetta is reliable enough to not have you stranded but I am preety sure parts for Vento are more readily available for example (not sure is Vento is more reliable though).

In my case my requirements are: car shouldn't leave me stranded, prefer to goto the dealership for routine stuff and minor issues, willing to goto independent garage for major items, don't mind down time of a week if parts not available, price of spares up to the level of non brand luxury, driving pleasure, somewhat uncommon on the road. So I am happy with my Jetta and Accord. I am sure for different circumstances there are a absolute no. So the answer for every person depends.
nissar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 10:57   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
*SNIP*

I've been lucky to have been referred to an uber-competent FNG who only takes on limited customers and purely via reference. *SNIP*
Would you kindly PM me the details of this FNG (and also maybe speak with them to see if they would consider maintaining my car)?

Thank you and cheers
Old 25th January 2022, 14:25   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissar View Post
I own a 2013 Jetta Comfortline TDI MT bought new. Here are issues i have had so far at 98,000km now:

In my case my requirements are: car shouldn't leave me stranded, prefer to goto the dealership for routine stuff and minor issues, willing to goto independent garage for major items, don't mind down time of a week if parts not available, price of spares up to the level of non brand luxury, driving pleasure, somewhat uncommon on the road. So I am happy with my Jetta and Accord. I am sure for different circumstances there are a absolute no. So the answer for every person depends.
Same requirements and preferences for me too.

Car shouldn't leave me stranded - Yes
Prefer to goto the dealership for routine stuff and minor issues - Yes
Willing to goto independent garage for major items -Yes
Don't mind down time of a week if parts not available -Yes [if it's known in advance so that I can adjust my travel plans]
Price of spares up to the level of non brand luxury - Yes
Driving pleasure - Yes Yes Yes
Somewhat uncommon on the road- I love the Jetta for its classy elegance.

Only thing holding me back is the used car prices, which have almost increased by 50% at least. Makes me think its not worth for the asking price now.
Old 25th January 2022, 15:41   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Only thing holding me back is the used car prices, which have almost increased by 50% at least. Makes me think its not worth for the asking price now.
Just curious if this is the case even with petrol sedans in this segment. Years ago when I bought my accord I saw that was a premium if you wanted automatic, diesel, suv. So for example you would see the Accord MT would be lot cheaper than a similar Jetta Automatic. So maybe a used Japanese petrol sedan with a manual would be the best value.
nissar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 18:32   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissar View Post
Just curious if this is the case even with petrol sedans in this segment. Years ago when I bought my accord I saw that was a premium if you wanted automatic, diesel, suv. So for example you would see the Accord MT would be lot cheaper than a similar Jetta Automatic. So maybe a used Japanese petrol sedan with a manual would be the best value.
I couldn't find any Accord manual of 2012+ vintage
Also the Jetta's I've seen are mostly 2012+ vintage are priced at 6lakh+ for manual and 7.5 lakh+ automatic
That too with 80K+ kms on the odo minimum.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 23:19   #112
BHPian

Quote:
I couldn't find any Accord manual of 2012+ vintage
Also the Jetta's I've seen are mostly 2012+ vintage are priced at 6lakh+ for manual and 7.5 lakh+ automatic
That too with 80K+ kms on the odo minimum.
Also look for other Japanese sedans like the Corolla, Civic. Even a Hyundai Elantra or Sonata are not bad on costs and high on depreciation.

Regarding VWs diesels like the Jetta i doubt the prices will really come down that much simply because it hard to replace them today. So those selling either want a good price or are worried about maintenance/ or already had expensive repairs hence want to get rid of the car. Its hard to see why someone would would want to sell a low mileage + good condition car. Explains the high prices for the nice ones in my view.
nissar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 11:51   #113
BHPian

Bringing the Jetta home from 2200 kms away

Background: We are 3 drivers in the family Father, elder brother, and myself. Current cars in our garage include a 2013 4x2 Toyota Fortuner, 2020 VW Tiguan TDI, and 2015 Tata Nano XT. It was more of a want than a need for an additional car. It was long due that we had a proper sedan in the garage.

There was no fixed budget at the onset of hunting for the car, so wandered a bit. My choice of cars were Jetta and the Octavia but the other gents in the house suggested Passat or Superb. As such Skoda cars have better resale than VW's. Being in Bangalore it's really difficult to get a car directly from the user. Almost all of the cars I went to check out were with dealers. And the asking price was pretty high by at least 2L for every car I checked out. Came across one nicely kept 2015 Jetta which had done 58k single owner, asking price was 9.8L but the car got sold by the time I could get the service history verified by ASS.

Was briefly interested in getting a Passat Highline but most of the cars I checked out had either of the 3 issues:
1. Third or fourth owner cars.
2. Many electrical gremlins/ poorly maintained.
3. Accidental history with a shoddy rework from outside.

So I made my peace with Passat. And most cars aged more than 10 years and abysmal asking prices dint make it a value proposition.

Started exploring the idea of bringing the car from Mumbai/Delhi. Found a few good examples in Mumbai but considering the re-registration in Bangalore, the price would again come very close to the asking price in Bangalore which made very little sense.

Finally came across this Toffee brown company owned 2014 Jetta Highline AT which had done 34k kms. This was at a dealer in Faridabad. Asked for the service history and the dealer sent it along with all the documents of the car without hesitating. I still had my doubts on the odo being tampered.

I was to visit Delhi on business in 2 weeks and the dealer asked for a token advance if he had to hold the car for me, which seemed fair enough. Transferred 5% of the asking price and the dealer's associate was in touch with me.

Flight tickets were booked for the round trip. The trip in itself was any less than an adventure. The previous night of our flight it rained cats and dogs in Bangalore. This resulted in one of our warehouses getting waterlogged and by the time I got back home, it was pretty late in the night. It was an early morning flight on the 18th of May 2022 and it's usually a 45mins drive from my place to the airport. We left home 2.25 hours before the departure. As fate would have had it the Airport road had a huge water logging past Yelahanka and had a very huge traffic pile-up at 4.15 AM. Was stuck at this place for more than 30 mins and we barely made it in time to the boarding.

The cabbie almost stalled the car.
Name:  SmartSelect_20220530200942_Gallery.gif
Views: 1332
Size:  5.64 MB

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220518_064521.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220518_063740.jpg

Our work was done by noon and we took the metro from Khan Market to Faridabad. Glad we chose the metro as compared to getting a cab. If not for the metro we would have had a tough time managing the Delhi heat. It was about 44 Degrees on that particular afternoon.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220518_135704.jpg

The first time i saw her
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220518_155809.jpg

The dealership had a decent office and their cars were parked in front of the office. Not one of those swanky used car showrooms per se. There was no covered parking but they ensured the cars were parked in shade. The Jetta was parked a few meters away under a small tree. It's very easy to get lost if we don't go there with a fixed budget or a particular car in mind. A lot of good cars for a very decent asking price. Eg: 2015 E250 CDI done 37k kms company owned for 15.5L, a similar eg in Bangalore i came across in a used car dealership which had done 65k kms for 27L

So after we landed at their office, went ahead to check out the car. I was informed earlier about one of the tires being replaced due to a tire cut. The car still had factory tires manufactured in 2013 all around except for the FL. The unused spare tyre was fixed on the FR while the FL got a new tyre. A few minor scratches, failed fuel lid actuator, the alloys were slightly kerbed and there weren't any major damages to the car. The interior had a broken center AC Vent adjustment apart from this the interior was very neat. No signs of wear and tear to the seat, gear shift lever or the pedals. My doubts about the car having the odo tampered with were put to rest at this point. None of the body panels seemed repainted. The car had done 347xx at that point. Drove the car for a few kms and it seemed pretty tight. Tried a VCDS scan and there weren't any major fault codes.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img20220505wa0077.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img20220505wa0071.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img20220505wa0070.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img20220505wa0075.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img20220505wa0068.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img20220505wa0064.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-img20220505wa0078.jpg

Thought I could haggle for another 20k on the price but they did not budge. After the transfer of funds to their account, signed the documents and took off from there. It was about 5.15 PM made a call to my brother informing the deal went through and asking to cancel our return tickets. Before the journey, inspected the engine oil level and viscosity and it seemed fairly new. Had to get into Delhi to check out of our stay.

First fuel-ups are always a bit special to me.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220518_173807.jpg

My initial plan was to start early on the 19th of May, but dad suggested we shall start immediately and try to cover some distance.

This was the route taken.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-screenshot_20220531090414_maps.jpg

By the time we started it was already 8.30PM, decided we shall stop at Agra for the night.

Should have gotten the car's alignment and balancing done before the journey. A mistake that i realised once i got onto the Yamuna expressway. The steering would wobble crazily upwards 140k's. So most part of the journey was covered within that speed.

Beautifully laid out roads on the expressway. Was really excited to drive on this. But after a while with the straight roads and monotonous traffic you'd kinda get bored. This was probably one of the longest time period for which i could use cruise control in my entire life.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220518_205843.jpg

Notice how the right side beam is off. This was mostly noticeable when put on highbeam.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220518_212308.jpg

Later realised the option of travel mode was ticked. This took a while for me to figure out. It's described a bit differently in our Tiguan on the headunit settings whilst the Jetta has it in the MFD settings. All along i thought there was an issue with the beam alignment.

A quick stop near Mant toll Plaza for some lite dinner. Neither of us were sleepy, decided to continue driving without stopping over at Agra for the night.

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220518_221443.jpg

Dad and I took turns driving during the entire trip.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220518_222630.jpg

Somewhere close to Jhansi
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220519_022702.jpg

Had read about stray cattle on the highway on many bhpians travalouges and was anticipating the same. Had my first hand expierence at it. Speeds were contained during this stretch.
There were many small dhabas but not a single good hotel/restaurant. When i did find a few okaish hotels they told us they are facing water issues since two days so no rooms are being given.

It was around 6AM and finally found hotel Shri Leela near Paloha which was really well kept. Took an hours break to freshen up and resumed the journey.
Being so early they weren't able to arrange for breakfast. Again couldn't find any decent restaurants so had to do away with biscuits for breakfast.

Roads started getting better and we could cover some good distance. Stopped for lunch after Dichpally, about 150kms from Hyderabad. After a good lunch we resumed the journey.

Another mistake on my side was not checking the wiper blades properly before the onset of the journey. I just checked if the windshield washer and headlight washer were working during which the wiper seemed to okay.
As we reached Kurnool it started raining heavily. The blades had deteriorated, and the passenger side wiper was hitting the plastic trim on the edge of the windshield. Maybe wrong sized wiper blade is used?

Stopped over at Palleturi Vindhu in Ananthapur for dinner.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220519_222630.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220519_222615.jpg

Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220519_222345.jpg

The last leg of the journey was the hardest as I was pretty tired, had to make a few stops for coffee and fresh air to keep myself awake. This was the home stretch from Chikkaballapur. Reached home by 1.40AM.

Few stats of the trip from MID
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220520_014710.jpg
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220520_014716.jpg
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220520_014720.jpg
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220520_014727.jpg

Except for my brother, no one else had a clue about our epic journey. Everyone were on the thought that we flew back to Bangalore. Once they got the details they've come to terms that something is seriously wrong with us.

My niece doing the customary pooja.
Pre-worshipped car of the week : Used Volkswagen Jetta (6th-gen)-20220521_175118.jpg

Told her got the car for her and she's been really excited ever since. Makes sure she informs everyone who comes home "thaatha and babai naaku car konicharu" (grandfather and uncle bought the car for me)

All in all it was an epic journey that I'd cherish for years to come.
Have got the car transferred to our name. Need a particular number as all our cars/bikes bear the same. So re-registration would be done in a few months' time.

Apart from this have handed over the car to VW Palace cross Rajajinagar for a DSG oil replacement, fuel lid actuator, and also a few rattles to sort. The SA informed me the brake pads have 5mm left and asked him not to replace them as I plan to put on aftermarket pads. Suggestions are welcome on pads.

Was always an avid reader of Teambhp even before I was a member, thought I should share my experience here. And this being my first proper post any suggestions are welcome.

Happy motoring!!

Last edited by duker2997 : 31st May 2022 at 12:10. Reason: 2 smileys/post. Congrats on the car! :)
duker2997 is offline   (124) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 20:10   #114
Senior - BHPian

How much is a 2014 Jetta highline diesel MT with 90k on the odo worth? Car is said to have clean service history with one owner. Quoted price is 7.5L.
Old 1st June 2022, 16:17   #115
BHPian

Hi.. A relative of mine bought a 2016 tdi last year. And since almost a year we've not been able to figure out where the headlamp leveller is. Can anyone guide on where to find it
zombiedriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 18:00   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
How much is a 2014 Jetta highline diesel MT with 90k on the odo worth? Car is said to have clean service history with one owner. Quoted price is 7.5L.
7.5L is slightly on the higher side especially considering it isn't a DSG. I would try and get it under the 7L mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiedriver View Post
Hi.. A relative of mine bought a 2016 tdi last year. And since almost a year we've not been able to figure out where the headlamp leveller is. Can anyone guide on where to find it
The Highline Jetta post 2014 get auto levelling bixenon headlamps. These don't have a headlamp leveller inside the cabin. The headlamps auto level based on passenger load.
vishy76 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 19:16   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
7.5L is slightly on the higher side especially considering it isn't a DSG. I would try and get it under the 7L mark.

The Highline Jetta post 2014 get auto levelling bixenon headlamps. These don't have a headlamp leveller inside the cabin. The headlamps auto level based on passenger load.
However, there is still two screws at the back of the headlight (one for vertical movement and another for horizontal movement), which can be used to adjust the height and direction.
manjubp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:35   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker2997 View Post
Apart from this have handed over the car to VW Palace cross Rajajinagar for a DSG oil replacement
Replacing the transmission oil was a smart choice. Congrats on the car! It was really fun reading about your drive back, wish you many more kilometres with this brown beauty. All the best!
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 09:56   #119
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride! I really like the shade of Toffee Brown, a timeless elegant colour that has probably been the most associated colour with the Jetta like the Reddish/Burgundy colour on the older gen Superbs. This car is truly a tank in terms of build quality and represents probably the best that VW India has to offer.

Maybe this thread is a sign for me to finally take a leap of faith and purchase a Jetta! Was initially going to go in for the the Virtus in addition to the Vento in our garage but due to generic issues with the India 2.0 project decided to let go of that idea.

A cliché question to ask but after all the Jetta is a VAG car, do you have any mods planned for it?
AKSarkar1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2022, 10:26   #120
BHPian

Same pinch!! Even my Jetta is preowned and in same colour. Did you figure out how much tax you need to pay to get it re-registered in Karnataka ? Also how did you know that the dealer was trustworthy ?
casnov is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks