Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2020, 10:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Camry BS6 launched at Rs. 37.88 lakh

Toyota has silently launched the BS6-compliant Camry in India. The car is priced at Rs. 37.88 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Toyota Camry BS6 launched at Rs. 37.88 lakh-camrybanner1.jpg

The new Camry comes with an updated engine that meets BS6 emission norms. The 2.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol-hybrid produces 176 BHP @ 5,700 rpm and 221 Nm @ 3,600-5,200 rpm, while the electric motor generator is rated at 118 BHP and 202 Nm. The car comes with a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

Apart from the upgraded powertrain, no other changes have been made to the Camry. It comes with LED projector headlamps with LED daytime running lights, a touchscreen infotainment head-unit, heads-up display, wireless charger, rain-sensing wipers and cruise control among others.

The Camry is equipped with a host of safety features including 9 airbags, ABS with EBD and brake assist, vehicle stability control, traction control, parking assist, tyre pressure monitoring system and ISOFIX child safety seat anchors.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 12:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota Camry BS6 launched at Rs. 37.88 lakh

In an otherwise beautiful and fairly complete car (enough power to handle the everyday runs), few shortcomings -

1) Over priced in comparison to its pricing in few western countries (like US) - as is usual.

2) The front fascia - it's like the Kajal on the face of babies - spoils the beauty and averts not just evil eyes, but just about every eyes! Could they not have trimmed those fat-lips?

3) Choice of colors on the outside are good; not so much for the inside.
Miyata is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 12:31   #3
BHPian

I guess BS6 Camry was available from early 2020 itself. Infact members who picked up Camry have confirmed that it's BS6. Not sure why Toyota is showing it as a recent launch.
Old 15th May 2020, 12:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
I guess BS6 Camry was available from early 2020 itself. Infact members who picked up Camry have confirmed that it's BS6. Not sure why Toyota is showing it as a recent launch.
Pre 1 April 2020 cars would have been 'BS-VI-ready'. Only after that date were they officially BS-VI.

Give a break to Toyota - they need it
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 13:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
In an otherwise beautiful and fairly complete car (enough power to handle the everyday runs), few shortcomings -

1) Over priced in comparison to its pricing in few western countries (like US) - as is usual.

2) The front fascia - it's like the Kajal on the face of babies - spoils the beauty and averts not just evil eyes, but just about every eyes! Could they not have trimmed those fat-lips?

3) Choice of colors on the outside are good; not so much for the inside.
On the looks front, I think the previous generation Camry with the saber tooth front fascia looked a proper luxury limo. It had clean and understated styling. With the facelift toyota went a bit Mahindra way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan0009 View Post
Maybe they just wanted to grab the opportunity and declare "No in view of all new cars getting discontinued, we continue to sell Camry (whatever low numbers we do). So do visit our showroom, and hand us a mind numbing profit!"
( No offence to the owners, I am in love with the Camry ever since its India debut)

Last edited by 07CR : 15th May 2020 at 14:02.
07CR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 17:53   #6
BHPian

Using this opportunity and continuing its past trend of increasing prices every now and then Toyota has also increased the price from Rs 36.95 Lacs to Rs 37.88 lacs.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 19:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
Using this opportunity and continuing its past trend of increasing prices every now and then Toyota has also increased the price from Rs 36.95 Lacs to Rs 37.88 lacs.
Unsure of that. I have an April 2019 pricelist from Viva Toyota Bangalore where it was already 37.88L.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 19:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Unsure of that. I have an April 2019 pricelist from Viva Toyota Bangalore where it was already 37.88L.
Even this article has mentioned about the price hike.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/te...s-5271701.html

Kindly have a look
Old 15th May 2020, 20:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Few months back my and my friend(he isnt an enthusiast but owns a Q3) were talking about cars, he casually mentioned "why would i buy camry? for another 3 lacs i can buy entry level Merc C class. or for few lacs less, i can buy entry level Superb" His words suddenly hit me and then i realized how most users with that much money will think!
Old 15th May 2020, 23:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki.grandhi View Post
"why would i buy camry? for another 3 lacs i can buy entry level Merc C class. or for few lacs less, i can buy entry level Superb"
And your friend would be absolutely right! Why indeed would you buy a Camry when you could put in another 7-10% of the cost and get yourself a Q3. While the lower end Audis/Merc may not "feel" all that luxurious, they do have a badge presence about them.

For a typical enthusiast, Camry would be less engaging than even the lowest Mercs/Audis.

If maintained well, the Europeans might also age more gracefully then the Toyotas.

Quote:
His words suddenly hit me and then i realized how most users with that much money will think!
Nothing unusual there. Think in terms of the percentages and not the actual quantum - the same thinking is applied by almost every car-purchaser. If a 7-10% more expensive car gives the buyer something THEY CONSIDER lot more "desirable", there is good chance they will take the plunge.

Then there are also those that prefer not to stand out too much from a possession perspective. A Camry is luxurious enough, powerful enough, and sort of gels in without standing out or being conspicuous. Quite a few people I know prefer it for this.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 07:08   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
At least in KA, the price was hiked to ₹37.88L w.e.f. 8 April 2019. Refer screenshot & attached price list from Viva Toyota, Bengaluru.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Camry BS6 launched at Rs. 37.88 lakh-cumry-price-list.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bangalore White Board Price List Camry wef 2nd January 2020.pdf (498.4 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by itwasntme : 16th May 2020 at 07:11.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 10:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Then there are also those that prefer not to stand out too much from a possession perspective. A Camry is luxurious enough, powerful enough, and sort of gels in without standing out or being conspicuous. Quite a few people I know prefer it for this.
Also people who don't want the high maintenance bills and peace of mind due to Toyota's reliability would prefer it.
Old 16th May 2020, 17:22   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Few months back my and my friend(he isnt an enthusiast but owns a Q3) were talking about cars, he casually mentioned "why would i buy camry? for another 3 lacs i can buy entry level Merc C class. or for few lacs less, i can buy entry level Superb" His words suddenly hit me and then i realized how most users with that much money will think!
There is no logic to your friend's thinking. The Camry and the Q3 are TOTALLY different in what they offer. I would not want to sit in even the front seat of a Q3, let alone the rear seat. The Camry on the other hand is a product I can actually imagine myself considering if I had that budget to spend. Yes, I can understand if he was comparing it with the Superb or Passat but I find the Camry a world apart even to the C class or 3 series, let alone a Q3 which is just a totally different vehicle.

There is also no end to statements like the above. One could equally say:

- Why would I buy a Q3 when for less than half the price I can buy a thoroughly competent Seltos that offers same if not more space in a very similar body type with very respectable, build, fit, finish and design.

OR

- Why would I buy a Q3 when for almost the same amount of money, I can buy a Seltos AND an Octavia, both very competent vehicles.

... and so on.
Axe77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 09:13   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And your friend would be absolutely right! Why indeed would you buy a Camry when you could put in another 7-10% of the cost and get yourself a Q3. While the lower end Audis/Merc may not "feel" all that luxurious, they do have a badge presence about them.

For a typical enthusiast, Camry would be less engaging than even the lowest Mercs/Audis.
This is the first Camry generation that I am a big fan of. Trust me, it blows away the C-Class on any parameter of luxury, including space, comfort & ride quality. The interior of the current Camry is more "Lexus" than "Toyota". I was pleasantly surprised with the way they've improved it and - believe it or not - the car is no longer a boring appliance to drive. Take a spin. You'll be smiling.

Quote:
Over priced in comparison to its pricing in few western countries (like US) - as is usual.
But the USA has far lower taxes and there is no comparison in volumes. In the USA, the Camry sells 300,000+ units every year.

That said, I will agree that Toyota India (as usual) has overpriced the Camry relative to its competitors. There is absolutely no reason (other than Toyota's greed) for it to be priced so much above the Superb. Its right price is 5 - 7 lakhs lower.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 10:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The interior of the current Camry is more "Lexus" than "Toyota".
Would this be a better buy than ES 300h or new Volvo s60 or 5 series?
In the segment of 50-60L what would be better/reliable in the long run 5 years+?

Last edited by Ashutosh : 18th May 2020 at 10:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks