View Poll Results: Do you see it as:
Offering value 97 84.35%
A Gimmick 21 18.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 07:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai now offers a customisable standard warranty; pick your duration & km

Not everyone's use of their car is similar - I mean, in terms of the distance driven per year. Hyundai has recognised this and come up with a novel product called 'Wonder Warranty'. If you buy any of the recently launched products like the Grand i10 NIOS, Aura, Verna, Kona or the Creta, you get a choice of the standard warranty.

Options include 3 years / unlimited km, 4 years / 60,000 km or 5 years / 50,000 km. Depending on your usage, your car can be covered for a longer duration. This means a person doing 10,000 clicks on the odo per year will get his car covered under the factory warranty for 5 years at no additional cost!

It is also useful for those who have multiple cars and the total usage is spread across each of them. The choice of the distance cap is spot on. Most car owners I have come across will clock less than 10,000 km a year.

The longer coverage is especially important in the current times where more people than ever are going to be working from home.

Further, the scheme allows you to be flexible. If for some unforeseen reason your car's usage increases, you can always go for the extended warranty upto 5 years / 1.4 lakh km (except Hyundai Kona, which comes only with a 5 year / 1 lakh km option). The complete extended warranty options and their price can be seen here.

Hyundai now offers a customisable standard warranty; pick your duration & km-wonderwarrantypc.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 13th May 2020 at 12:30.
blackwasp is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 12:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai now offers a customisable standard warranty; pick your duration & km

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Although this has been covered in the Aura / Creta threads, it is quite innovative & deserves a new thread. I frankly didn't know about this until yesterday. Hyundai should highlight it more. It's a boon for me due to work from home, and test-drive cars on weekends means very low running for my own cars.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 12:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai now offers a customisable standard warranty; pick your duration & km

Very valuable, especially for the second / third car of the household. It will typically have the least running and would be kept for a long period. Extended warranty coverage definitely helps.

Good move

Last edited by Eddy : 13th May 2020 at 16:07.
Eddy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 13:14   #4
BHPian

Anything which gives flexibility and choice to the customers without confusing them with too many T&C is welcome for me. Other manufacturers has to follow suit.
Old 13th May 2020, 13:26   #5
BHPian

Hyundai is on a roll. Innovative warranty and finance options. A win win for the customer.
They have been very proactive according to market situations.
Old 13th May 2020, 13:29   #6
BHPian

Do I need to select the warranty at the time of purchase? If I choose 3 years/unlimited km and at the end of 3 years, I have only done 30,000km, will my warranty be extended by another 2 years?
professor.march is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 15:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor.march View Post
Do I need to select the warranty at the time of purchase?
The warranty must be chosen at the time of purchase. You can extend it, but remember its not possible to downgrade. Eg, you can't choose 3 year / unlimited km and downgrade to say 5 year / 50,000 km. On the other hand, if you pick the above option and realise you might do more than that, you can always opt for the extended warranty as per the price list in the first post.

Hyundai now offers a customisable standard warranty; pick your duration & km-screenshot-20200513-3.31.25-pm.png
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 15:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Very sensible move by Hyundai.

It would be very useful for car buyers (like me) with low running for various reasons such as car pooling, proximity of home and workplace, less outstation trips etc.

As an example, my 11 year old i10 has done only 50k kms because of the reasons mentioned above. I had opted for 4th year extended warranty at the time of purchase. If such a flexible plan was available at that time, I could have opted for the 5 year/50k kms option without having to buy additional extended warranty.

Now I only wish that car manufacturers start publishing maintenance schedule in terms of time duration also, in addition to the kms based tables used currently. It would be a good reference to replace fluids or rubber items if they are beyond their usable life, irrespective of the kms covered.

Rohan
Old 13th May 2020, 16:39   #9
ike
BHPian

This offers value to those who use their cars very less, especially the 5yr/50k KMS package. It brings in additional business to the OEM too, You are tied to Hyundai Service centers for five years with no scope for getting services done outside authorized service centers.
Old 13th May 2020, 16:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

This is the only factor that has currently me scratching my head between Kia Seltos and Creta. That and the low waiting period. If the car wasn't as polarising to look at the Creta would be a no brainer but the Seltos looks better.

My primary mode of transport is a CBR250R and a car would barely see a few hundred kms on weekend trips. My average annual use will not exceed 10k kms. Although looking at the price list I can already see Hyundai charging 20k more than what Seltos had at 9.99 lakhs HTK. They've bundled a 5 year warranty albeit for limited kms

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 13th May 2020 at 16:45.
Old 13th May 2020, 18:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I frankly didn't know about this until yesterday. Hyundai should highlight it more. It's a boon for me due to work from home, and test-drive cars on weekends means very low running for my own cars.
Quite honestly, I believe half of Hyundai's own sales advisors might not be aware of this. Here is my experience with the wonder warranty, cross posting from another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Raven View Post
We bought a grand i10 nios sportz AMT last month from popular Hyundai in our hometown. My experience with variable basic warranty was even worse. At my first visit to the showroom after the test drive I asked the sales advisor about variable basic warranty and his response was same as in your case. He denied the existence of any such option and told me fourth and fifth year warranty has to be purchased at extra cost. I showed him the Hyundai web page and still he didn't accept. I went ahead with the purchase anyway because the car perfectly fit our requirements. Meanwhile I emailed Hyundai customer relations team asking for a clarification and they just forwarded the mail to popular Hyundai's main dealership office. One lady called me from the Kochi office of popular Hyundai, but she was as clueless as my SA regarding variable basic warranty. She told me the person who handles the warranty matters will contact me but nobody did. About a month later while I was going through the owner's manual I found the page where warranty package chosen has to be marked and stamped by the dealership. I took a picture of the page, send to my SA and demanded him to explain. This time he accepted his mistake, apologized and said he had no idea about it because they didn't get any proper training regarding this
Now comes the best part. I asked him to change my warranty plan to 5 years/40000 kms since that's what suits me best. He apologized again and said it cannot be changed now because it has to be done during the billing process. I lost my cool, gave him an earful and then he said he will try to compensate for all this during the services. The whole experience was nothing like I had expected from Hyundai.
It took me another set of Emails, few calls to the customer care and very firm words to get someone senior talk to me. After about two months of efforts finally the same sales advisor called and told that I need to go to the showroom and get it changed and stamped. I couldn't go that time because me and my wife were in home quarantine due to an interstate travel. Before our quarantine period got over, lockdown started I am hoping they will correct it and give me the much wanted "peace for 5 years" after all this is over.
Night Raven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 14:10   #12
BHPian

Voted for 'offering value'.

I wish they had this when I bought my car. My normal yearly running is between 7-8k kms and now it has increased post lockdown but still won't cross 10k mark I guess. The 5 year/50000 kms standard warranty would have been perfect for me.

While buying the vehicle I didn't purchase the EW (5 yr/100000 kms) then but got it later for about 3k more than what I was quoted at the time of purchase.
Old 14th May 2020, 15:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I voted that it is a gimmick. 50,000 kms is nothing and I would like to see indian manufacturers atleast start with offering a 1lakh km 5 year warranty with a paid option for 2lakh km 10 year warranty. I am sick and tired of car manufacturers treating our consumers like sheep. It is high time consumers got some benefits. Over the counter sales of spares are still being withheld by manufacturers even though the law states that it ought to be allowed and I would have no issue with it if company service centers employed people who knew enough about their cars but the sad truth is that they do not. They pay as little as possible to service advisors which just means that there is a lack of passion in the automobile service industry which at the end of the day affects the consumer. I don't mind paying high labor rates to support and fuel passion into the automotive service industry but the manufacturers really ought to start giving a damn and standing by their products by atleast offering better warranties not some 50k km 5 year cheap deal.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 16:44   #14
BANNED

This is a good option for all new car buyers as the choices are better and also for owners who don't have much of a heavy usage clocking more kms.

For my usage, it is of not much value IMHO as the warranty (OEM + extended) is on the verge of expiring. When I was buying the Creta, it was '3 years / unlimited kms' but we decided to go for extended warranty making it '4 years / 80,000 kms'. The car is now almost 2 years 7 months old and the odometer is at 76,000 kms and in another 4,000 kms, the warranty shall expire completely.
Old 18th May 2020, 16:11   #15
HMV
BHPian

I see it as a really great offering, at least for me. For instance, our Hyundai has covered just 45K kms in ~5 Years (completing 5th this October). Hence, the third option, 5 Years/50K kms suits the best to me. However, we had opted for the extended warranty which expired last year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks