Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2020, 10:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo & Vento TSI edition launched

So they have finally learnt from Maruti Suzuki the technology of enhancing performance of regular run of the mill cars by stickering them no end. Gosh!
Stickers on swift were still palatable as it had a funky shape to begin with. On clean lines of Polo and Vento, these stickers can only look horrible.
Heart_Revs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 11:26   #17
BHPian

As a Skoda owner, I'm always puzzled why cars like the Rapid, Vento and Polos don't get the right updates for our market. I mean they are capable cars and can offer competitors a run for their money.

Why not just take the plunge and update the whole car instead of treating them like aging stars with powder, lipstick and minor cosmetic surgeries?
JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 11:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
13K cheaper than Highline plus while retaining all equipment and having extra graphics? There is already enough confusion on existing line up and now VW does this! What is VW upto these days?

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...aunched-417223
The price difference is perhaps to accommodate the costs incurred by a person to remove those stickers and polish the car again to make it look palatable, and also part reimbursement for the mental trauma caused to the buyer after seeing el-cheapo Maruti tactics being used by the #2 car manufacturer in the world.

With all the mild refreshes and sticker jobs, VW has created a confusing lineup of cars.
A little anecdote from life. We had booked a 2011 VW Vento 1.6 TDI Highline. When we booked the car, we were really sad to see that VW had stripped off the chrome accents from the steering wheel and headlight switch making the cabin feel slightly cheaper. When we got delivery of the car, we were allotted a refresh that came with a new music system, parking sensors, steering wheel audio controls but missed out on the VW security system. And yeah! the chrome made a comeback. This was a pleasant surprise on our part. Imagine being a customer of the previous batches where some of the nice to have touches were stripped out.
Imagine being a VW customer where it is likely the car you test drive, might not have the same feature set as the car you get .
sourishganguly is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 13:27   #19
BHPian

The pricing is not too bad, but seriously VW, just launch the new Polo, you've milked this generation enough now.

I was checking out VW's page on the new engine/transmission variants, and just noticed that the GT is now a 1L TSI/6AT version, and there's a HL+ with 1L TSI/6AT version for 30k cheaper as well. God knows what their intention is.
ts1506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 13:50   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourishganguly View Post
Imagine being a VW customer where it is likely the car you test drive, might not have the same feature set as the car you get .
From a global supply chain perspective, I think this is by design. Such a large automaker like VW, offering 10s of models and 100s of variants in over a 100 markets will have excess or deficit inventory of various parts. There are a “strict” category of markets where variations from the brochure/spec sheet are not allowed at all. Then there are “lienient markets” like India, where all that the manufacturer needs to do is say “specifications and equipment are illustrative and the final product may vary from this description” and can then go change any cosmetic or convenience parts as long as they are not related to powertrain or safety. So such global companies use India as a buffer to cushion over parts excess and shortages in their global supply chain. This is also evident with Ford, which keeps changing the feature set of the Ecosport.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 13th May 2020 at 13:53.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 20:02   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

"TSI" Edition. And I thought that their "CUP EDITION" naming was rock bottom of lack of imagination. But they had a trump ace up their sleeve! Well I guess its better than what could potentially have been "Bowl Edition" or "Wok edition" after Cup was done.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th May 2020 at 20:04.
Old 13th May 2020, 20:55   #22
BHPian

I still cannot believe they got rid of the DSG for Polo & Vento. That & the Tsi engine were the two reasons I got my Vento.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 21:33   #23
BHPian

I think we have lost the count of the number of Special Editions they have launched in the last 10 years. It seems their VW Corporate HQ in Germany has stopped VW India's funding for any new R&D/Projects after the failure of Ameo and they are just milking these 2 models. New launches like Tiguan AllSpace & T-Roc should be a flop with only the Petrol version. I think doing away with their bread and butter Diesels in India, specially the 2 L TDI will haunt the group and will mark the beginning of the end of VW group in India, at least for VW if not Skoda.

On a lighter note, there should be a PIL in Supreme Court to stop VW India selling these models
Old 13th May 2020, 22:54   #24

VW has truly lost the plot. The only reason they sold 10 year old cars is because of a decent engines and an amazing gearbox.
This is the last nail in their coffin. Do you think this is to make enthusiasts buy the other "new" cars which by the way are ridiculously priced?
vinay5795 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 23:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looks awfully like the final edition of the Cedia with graphics before Mitsubishi folded their division. VW may aswell call it quits.
Old 14th May 2020, 09:20   #26
BANNED

Recently I sat in a Polo Comfortline, and I got a rude shock after I discovered that VW is no more providing the rear power window switches on the driver's door in comfortline trim. also removed are auto up/down windows too from the trim.

Now this is where the cost cutting pinches hardest. The guy who owns the car was even frustrated because at times one of his kids used to roll down the window at the school time and then leave. Now this guy had to come out, go to the door and then roll up the power window!
VKumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 13:22   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
The pricing is not too bad, but seriously VW, just launch the new Polo, you've milked this generation enough now.

I was checking out VW's page on the new engine/transmission variants, and just noticed that the GT is now a 1L TSI/6AT version, and there's a HL+ with 1L TSI/6AT version for 30k cheaper as well. God knows what their intention is.
The 6th Gen that was launched in 2017 is currently selling at ~15L INR equivalent in UK, is it even possible to sell that Polo at a reasonable price in India is a suspect. So they may need to strip the car down considerably, as well as trim its length. The engine options in that case will be the 1.0 MPI and 1.0 TSI, same as what we have now. There maybe some buyers for it, but its unlikey VW-Skoda India will be able to make much money out of that exercise.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 19:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Recently I sat in a Polo Comfortline, and I got a rude shock after I discovered that VW is no more providing the rear power window switches on the driver's door in Comfortline trim. also removed are auto up/down windows too from the trim.
The only model worth buying is the Highline Plus and that too because of the TSI engine. It's comparably equipped with touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto and CarPlay, cruise control, rain sensing wipers. There's no auto headlamps though.

One feature that I found very nice in Polo was the auto up/down for all 4 power windows. Especially when competitors provide for only driver's side and more often than not, it's just auto down.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th May 2020 at 19:27. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos.
professor.march is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 10:48   #29
BHPian

Polo has more special editions than all the actual cars Mitsubishi sold this year. Probably my best car buying decision was to get a Polo in 2015. 5 years old and still looks fresh (?).
Meanwhile Hyundai's I20 has received 3 facelifts since then and the most recent one coming by the end of 2020.
While Volkswagen is like "HAHAHA, you want a facelift? Nope, only for the international market. Here check out our brand new Special Limited Edition Toy Story Polo GT TSI"
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo & Vento TSI edition launched-inkedcapture_li.jpg  

omranga98 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 19:39   #30
BHPian

Polo and Vento TSI editions have been removed from Volkswagen India's website. I'm guessing they are discontinued now?

I hope people bought them, especially the Vento TSI edition as it was priced a lakh lower than the equivalent Highline Plus variant!
TaurusSHO is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed