Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you were planning to buy a car before the pandemic hit, are you:
Going ahead with the original plan 65 10.17%
Changing your choice to a cheaper model 12 1.88%
Going for a used car instead 43 6.73%
Postponing your decision 365 57.12%
Cancelled the plan to buy a car altogether 127 19.87%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 4.23%
Voters: 639. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2020, 11:56   #61
BHPian

Re: Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?

I was planning to replace my 5 yr old 90K run Innova by Q3 or Q4 this year but after this I have cancelled the plan altogether. I know 90K is nothing for an Innova and it's difficult to replace such workhorse with something similar. But still I was looking for that new car feel and latest techs. With this kind of uncertainty, it's difficult to indulge in capital expenditure not just for businessmen like me, but even for salaried individuals with paycut and unstable job market. Infact the situation is such that even if someone wants to sell his car, he'll either not find any buyer or get a much lesser quote. Personally speaking, I've shelved the urge to purchase not just cars but many other non-essentials.

Last edited by Carpainter : 11th May 2020 at 11:59.
Old 11th May 2020, 11:57   #62
BANNED

Currently no plan to buy one, so selected Other. But if i had plan, i would have definitely postponed it to next year. Currently situation is too risky to spend money you have in your account, will decide once everything is settled down.
Old 11th May 2020, 11:58   #63
BHPian

Voted for Cancelled the plan to buy a car altogether.

I have a Punto Evo that's run 65k kms and turns 5 this Aug. Was planning on an upgrade from early this considering the poor resale value and FCA wrapping up etc. However, now I feel it's best to keep that car since I have managed to keep it in pristine condition, couple of minor issues it has can be fixed for a fraction of the new car emi. I'll probably just run it as long i can and then push it off a cliff or something

As of today liquidity and freedom from emi is more needed than a fancy car or even a own house. In a few months this might change, but here we are for now.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 11:58   #64
BHPian

Voted 'going ahead with my original plan' for two reasons. First, my pay hasn't been affected much and in fact, savings have increased due to lower consumption. Second, I remain sceptical about Taxis, ridesharing, car rentals and even visits to FNGs. I would much rather get a new car to replace my 12 year old City than risk losing my only ride in an uncertain future.
Old 11th May 2020, 12:08   #65
BHPian

Voted for postponing my decision

We have a 2012 Passat, a 2018 Ecosport & we bought a Jazz VX CVT a month before the lockdown.

Have balance 2 years loan on the Ecosport; meanwhile I was looking to upgrade the Passat though its done only 50k and runs beautifully.

With the future uncertain, have decided to postpone any big ticket purchases till there is some stable visibility.

However, the lockdown has got us to think of buying a dishwasher, a robot vacuum and a tower fan for the kitchen for now

Last edited by Sheel : 11th May 2020 at 13:28. Reason: 2102 = 2012, I think. Please report post if it was 2102 tough :P. Thanks.
rpunwani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 12:12   #66
BHPian

As someone who just bought a pre loved luxury SUV (X5, 2019, 5 k on odo) before the COVID crises truly manifested itself, I'm grateful I bought it outright without any loans. Had I known the situation would be negative for an extended period, I would have deferred my purchase.

My E Class was about to be sold but the person about to buy it has deferred the purchase (Not surprised there)

Guess it's time to sit pretty and enjoy them both.
Old 11th May 2020, 12:16   #67
BHPian

Voted for postponed. My daily, a 13 yr old Apache 150 (with rtr 180 engine and other parts) crossed 1.1 lacs plus kms. Even though it has never let me down I wanted more power, and lesser vibey engine. Guess will have to wait and watch, anyways not liking anything in the market and with the riding extremely limited due to WFH for the forseeable future, is fine for me too ��. Was planning to change my 3 yr old Alto k10 (18k kms run) since it has been used primarily for that since we bought it to a safer premium hatch or CSUV. In fact, had taken test drives of Altroz, Nexon and Freestyle few weeks before the lockdown. That will have to wait too.
My priority is now to save, and maybe purchase a bike first, perhaps by early 2021. The car can wait, will get better tyres and damping done once the Covid situation is improved.
Also, the market crash has drasticaly reduced my equity mutual fund portfolio, so that is another factor governing my decisions.
Old 11th May 2020, 12:33   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Even long before before this lockdown I was wondering why we changed cars. The old Alto was doing the job great. We bought the new Swift in Aug 2018 and till date haven't even crossed 13k km. Of which half have been on 2 road trips! In the city we inevitably prefer the bike because of the traffic and parking hassles, unless it rains. The car is certainly an 'upgrade' when it comes to road trips though.

Quite seriously, this may be the last ICE-driven car we ever buy!
Old 11th May 2020, 12:39   #69
BHPian

My Figo 1.5 DCT is 4.5 yrs old and has been through one replacement of the DCT gearbox under warranty. Warranty is valid through January 2021, and I was ready to replace the car by the end of September 2020 with a compact SUV, most probably the Ecosport or Brezza automatic (no dual clutch gearboxes anymore please). Given this lockdown and it's financial fallout I am more inclined to look for a used car now. Perhaps a Corolla with no more than 50k kms on the odometer. I have voted for the used car option on this poll.
Old 11th May 2020, 12:43   #70
Senior - BHPian

Guys, only point here. I think people who can afford should buy the stuff they want and not post pone it too much.

Before I receive brick bats, the consumption is necessary to drive the economy, else we will fall into a spiraling downward cycle. I think steep cuts in FD rates are soon to be expected from the government to drive this behaviour.
Old 11th May 2020, 12:45   #71
BHPian

Voted for “Postponing my decision”

If not for the lockdown, I would have already booked an EcoSport by now. The only reason why I couldn’t book in Feb or early March was due to my wife’s busy schedule. But now I feel that it was a blessing in disguise that I couldn’t book.

With the current uncertainty, I’m going to hold on to the purchase plan at least till the end of the year or even to 2021. Purchasing a depreciating asset at the moment, liquidating your current savings and also adding more EMI commitments is not advisable. Better to wait and see how the world is going to adjust to the current situation before getting into it.
Old 11th May 2020, 12:48   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

My decision lies somewhere between Going ahead with the original plan & Changing my choice to a cheaper model.

Voted accordingly.

Old 11th May 2020, 12:55   #73
BHPian

We were planning to get a replacement for our 2011 model i20 diesel. The car has done about 95K, but still in good condition. Since this is a second car in the garage used mostly for city runabouts, there is no urgency to get it replaced.

So we have shelved the plan for now!
Old 11th May 2020, 12:56   #74
BHPian

Got a Venue DCT SX+ last year in Nov. Lucky me, for I wanted to get the Seltos but wifey convinced me that Venue fulfills all our needs. Really happy got the Venue without any EMI headache.
First plan was getting a compass with loan, nixed that. Next plan was top end Seltos but dropped that too. With this pandemic wrecking havoc, counting my blessings.
Old 11th May 2020, 12:59   #75
BHPian

Voted cancelled.

I (or rather my Brother) was looking to replace my 1Lakh + KMs driven Chevrolet Beat - LS Diesel as it was giving a few problems. Now with limited need to go to office or any other drives, the decision is cancelled for the immediate future. Makes sense to maintain this car for in city short commutes and let Nexon do the long runs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks