Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: If you were planning to buy a car before the pandemic hit, are you:
Going ahead with the original plan 65 10.17%
Changing your choice to a cheaper model 12 1.88%
Going for a used car instead 43 6.73%
Postponing your decision 365 57.12%
Cancelled the plan to buy a car altogether 127 19.87%
Other (please specify in your post) 27 4.23%
Voters: 639. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2020, 21:37   #136
BHPian

Re: Has the current situation changed your car buying plans of 2020-21?

Voted for "cancelling the decision altogether"

Well, I have two Skodas - 2013 Fabia 1.2 TDI (64k kms) and 2012 Laura 1.8 TSI (69k kms). I ran into considerable trouble in the recent past with Fabia: fuel pump and high pressure pump giving me sleepless nights! (both being replaced) However, the issue was fixed at Skoda ASS finally which to my pleasant surprise has greatly improved! I was seriously considering letting go of the workhorse which has been by humble steed all these years. But with the foreseeable future looking bleak I have decided I will continue with this humble car for years to come. It is in pristine condition and I hope it doesn't have to undergo any major repair.

As for the 1.8 TSI, the engine is just a 'masterclass'. The car is also thoroughly done up with Pete's. It is surely a keeper unless my company hands me a pink slip!
anuragbagur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 22:04   #137

Voted for "Other". I like to keep my cars till the end of their lives, that is, 10-15 years and the oldest car in the house is my dad's 2012 Rapid TDI. Because of the illogical NGT rule, we already had plans to sell it after 2 years from now and only then we will think of another car.
Old 12th May 2020, 22:27   #138

I was planning to purchase SELTOS IVT by this year's end, but being self employed in manufacturing sector, all my plans have taken a hit, let alone buying a car.
Looks like I have to wait and watch until everything is back to normal.
PS: For a person who dreads syringes & injections, cannot fathom being in this situation where I would want one ASAP(Read- Corona Vaccine)
Old 13th May 2020, 06:46   #139
Senior - BHPian

Due to BS6 long wait, I ended up buying AltoK10 and eventually Pre owned Corolla altis and now I am at peace

Jokes apart, there will obviously be an impact and as the makers delay their launches it will also delay revival of the auto sector.
What we need now is steady stream of new launches.
Old 13th May 2020, 11:29   #140

We have cancelled our plans to buy a car altogether. We have a 2011 Vento 1.6 TDi, we had thought of adding another car to our stable, considering my father would be retiring very soon. We were in the market for a D segment sedan/CSUV until late February. We were also able to get some sweet deals on the BS4 Skoda Superb, but alas! the crisis came through and with my dad retiring, all plans have been scrapped.
It seems the next family car will be purchased by me after I finish my post graduation

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th May 2020 at 13:45. Reason: Typo
Old 17th May 2020, 10:24   #141
Senior - BHPian

Voted for “other”. Not planning to buy a car at all, but a bike. Given the circumstances, I think it’s wise to wait and see how society works in the near future to make a purchase decision, leave alone getting a license first.

As a side note, isn’t it safer going for a new car instead of a used one?
Old 17th May 2020, 12:05   #142
BHPian

I almost decided to go for a new car and the lockdown prep made me busy. For now I have postponed it for an unknown date, But the employment situation is so uncertain that I really doubt if I'd have the courage for a major spend on a car even after 6 months. Time will tell.
My current diesel car has 120000 kms on the Odo.
Old 17th May 2020, 13:14   #143
Senior - BHPian

voted other. Just bought a brand new BMW X3 in Jan and covid happened. I just wish roads and minds to open so that I can get the beautiful beast out on the road and create some new memories. However, on a serious note, I think, this is a right time to go bargain shopping for a car of his/her choice, assuming a reasonably secured source of income. There will be many BS4 (maybe pre-registered) and regular BS6 versions at lucrative offer. For long term, either version is fine. It will also work like a memorabilia and social service (helping the economy) when you look back after 5 years down the road.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 17th May 2020 at 13:16. Reason: Income disclaimer
Old 17th May 2020, 19:35   #144

I voted for a used car instead,

I particularly do not have interest in buying a car myself, but two of my sub-senior employees have made plans to buy a new car. People I know generally come to me for advice on which car to buy as I am aware of general market scenario, keeping that in mind these guys have made plans based of my decision.

Both of these guys made plans to buy a car worth 5 lakhs and we're adamant in terms of buying new car instead of used so I have suggested them higher variants of alto, kwid, redigo, tiago or spresso or otherwise lower versions of i10 grand, swift,santro. But the market changed, by which the cars have become little bit more expensive, b1 hatch backs pretty much become unobtainable and the price you for A segment cars is too much for what they are. If you spend 5 lakhs on a used car then you would get an old gen swift (2-3 years) which would have better performance, bigger tires, in general bigger car and most importantly does not feel cheap.

In general, as per my opinion for at least two years buying a new car is not advisable because the value you get from a used car is so much more for the same price for a new one.

Only downside is that used cars will be bs4, whose resale value is little unpredictable.

Of course in any case it would be better than new car.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th May 2020 at 19:52. Reason: Typos + spacing
Old 17th May 2020, 23:23   #145
BHPian

I got three cars in my family:
Santro: 2005
Jazz: 2010
City: 2017

We were thinking of replacing Santro as its not allowed within Delhi NCR region since last year. We didn't buy BS4 as you never know when someone somewhere has a dream that from midnight all BS4 cars will be banned (not sure of other places but in NCR it can happen on any Diwali eve).

With Covid, I would prefer 20 lakhs in my bank account then otherwise. So we got the santro re-registered with Himachal number and now my parents are using it.
sunnsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 11:42   #146
BHPian

I voted for “postponing your decision”. That was the most obvious decision for me in these uncertain times. With no light at the end of the tunnel, I will wait, as I have been for some time.
Old 18th May 2020, 12:04   #147
BHPian

I voted for "Other" as it turned out to be a mix of multiple factors. I have an Innova 2.5G, the lease of which ended Dec 2019 and was in double minds to keep it or go for Crysta in April 2020. That plan got readily shelved early March with the pandemic situation. Wife, being in essential services, she had to commute to office everyday and doesn't want to drive Innova as it is "very big". So now in the market looking for basic small car with power steering and AC under 4L to avoid any loans. We have almost finalized on Alto 800 LXI and might get delivery in a week.
Old 19th May 2020, 16:03   #148
pms
BHPian

Voted for 'Postponing your decision'. I have an 8 year old Honda City and was planning to get myself a new Creta or Seltos DCT. I work in the investment banking domain (IT side) which is definitely not doing good in the current context. Hence decided to hold the purchase decision for some time until things get clear and stable on the job front. Looking forward to make a decision by end Q3 or Q4.
Old 19th May 2020, 17:44   #149
BHPian

I have always bought my cars without a loan. Why pay money + interest for a depreciating "asset" , was my take. Being in construction and real estate, my only choice would be to wait , and enjoy my 4 year old (48000 km) Vento TSI.
Probably will wait for the stock market to reduce by another 20 % or so , and make an investment; hoping for a huge jump in 2-3 years time, and buy a new car.
Old 20th May 2020, 07:51   #150
Senior - BHPian

While the results of this poll might look like an extended disaster for Auto Industry, what about people who don’t have a car in the first place ? Maybe they had plans in the near future, but due to current social distancing and issues with crowded public transports, i think many would want to buy a new / used car as soon as this lockdown ends. Of course they may not be eyeing anything in premium cars (C/D/SUV) or the luxury segment, but A1/A2/B1 segments might see a boost

Last edited by Mi10 : 20th May 2020 at 07:53.
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks