Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2020, 22:14   #91
BHPian

Re: Current-gen Honda City to be sold alongside 5th-gen model

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
[b] The old City will be available in two variants - SV and V priced at Rs. 9,29,900 and Rs. 9,99,900 (ex-showroom, Delhi) respectively.

Both variants are available with a BS6-compliant 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine paired with a 5-speed manual transmission. This engine produces 117 BHP @ 6,600 rpm and 145 Nm @ 4,600 rpm. It has a single overhead cam (SOHC) valvetrain unlike the new City's DOHC setup.

The new City is offered with a 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 119 BHP @ 6,600 rpm and 145 Nm @ 4,300 rpm. This engine is offered with either a 6-speed manual or 7-speed CVT.
Unlikely to be stock clearance. How come only SV & V variants remain unsold!?

Also, why is Honda bothering with providing two different manual gearboxes? If the 6 speed manual gearbox is available, why not plonk the same into the Old City as well? Why bother manufacturing an extra gearbox?
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:19   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Also, why is Honda bothering with providing two different manual gearboxes? If the 6 speed manual gearbox is available, why not plonk the same into the Old City as well? Why bother manufacturing an extra gearbox?
That's one less reason for you to pay up and buy the fifth generation model .

This is probably another sign that this is to exhaust existing parts and fulfill agreements with vendors. Honda probably doesn't have a long term plan to offer the fourth generation alongside the fifth
Old 3rd September 2020, 04:30   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There is a reason that quality brands like Hyundai, Kia, Mercedes and others aren't selling old-gen cars in India. Heck, even Maruti is getting off the addiction!

Disagree Sir. Hyundai has been at it for a while now. Old gen i10 with Grand i10, Xcent with Aura.

And I would call Hyundai a quality brand with a pinch of salt, unless we are talking about soft touch plastics. We even have a dedicated thread on Hyundai quality issues (with basic things going wrong!). In terms of Long term reliability Japanese are still better than Koreans.

We know that Hyundai has been trying so hard from last few years (a decade!), with latest features and what not. If this kind of effort was put in by Honda/Toyota, Maruti would have more reasons to be worried. And I agree, its about time that Honda put in more effort!

Last edited by Jas21 : 3rd September 2020 at 04:51.
Jas21 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:33   #94
BANNED

I don't see much issue here. If Honda wants to sell both together, what's the harm in it? I don't think City as a brand will have any effect due to that. Last generation City was good car anyways and if someone is getting it at reasonable price, what's wrong?

New gen car may not be liked by all, so they still have choice to buy old model, isn't it a good deal for buyers?
Old 3rd September 2020, 15:34   #95
BHPian

So the update from the dealerships is as follows:

Vivo Honda (Santacruz W) has the updated pricing and is offering the vehicle at approximately 11.60 OTR. There is some wiggle room for 10-20K discount.

Solitaire Honda (AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE) has no idea yet. They're expecting the accounts department to be updated by Friday or Monday (Since they're not working on Sat/Sun). I wasn't expecting much from them anyway; we've always had horrible experiences there.

However, the vehicles are expected to be allocated at the end of September. So, depending on the colours that they manufacture, you may expect your vehicle to be registered and delivered by either Mid October or Mid November 2020.

Hope this helps those that are considering the 4th Gen City. IMO, it's priced quite competitively. If the vehicle could've been delivered earlier, I would cancel my Creta EX and go for the City.
Old 7th September 2020, 02:06   #96
rkw
BHPian

I feel it is normal to keep both generations on sale with price differentiation. It might be a strategy as well by Honda to cater to different customer segment. I don't think it is because of stock clearance compulsion. If that was the case then how come it is available pan India. And they are not naive to sit on old stockpile & launch the new model without knowing what to do. It will be better if they give the 4th gen a brand identity like City Classic / City Standard etc.
rkw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 23:36   #97
BHPian

As some one speculated, Honda might have a considerable residue of old gen cars/parts purely due to covid impact. I don't think a Japanese manufacturer will over produce something without taking in their new launch into account, unless it is for an unexpected reason like covid.

But IMHO, if Honda wants to keep the 4th gen permanently, to avoid projecting it like a dated compromise for those with a strict budget of < 10L, they should fit the SOHC engine and 5 speed gearbox in the 5th generation body and chassis, may be an affordable city "classic"

I remember Ford and Fiat used to sell 'classic' range of their famous models (ikon, linea) with similar reasoning.
Old 5th October 2020, 16:34   #98
BHPian

I want the base variant of City hence wanted the 4th gen. Went to a dealer but he says 4th gen is no longer available and my only option is Gen 5. Is this true?

My father wants a sedan for ~ 10l and he had a Vento in the past so does not want Rapid again if possible.
Old 18th October 2020, 22:11   #99
BANNED

Hi
I am not sure my honda city vx mt is getting locked automatically if I forget to lock it and move away from the car. Any way I can check the setting and change it ?
Old 19th October 2020, 10:21   #100
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_misra View Post
I am not sure my honda city vx mt is getting locked automatically if I forget to lock it and move away from the car. Any way I can check the setting and change it ?
AFAIK such type of automatic locking is not present in the 4th gen. Here are some indications which can help you know if the car is locked or not;
  • A red security system indicator will start blinking in the meter console to show that the system is armed.
  • The ORVMs will fold in upon locking the car unless you have manually turned off this feature by pressing the button on the bottom right panel of the steering wheel.
  • You will be able to hear and see the lock tabs on the inner door handles move to the 'lock' position.
  • The emergency lights will flash initially to indicate that the locking process is being carried out.
  • You could do the old fashioned outer door handle check by pulling it after locking to be double sure. Do not pull the front door handles with the key in your pocket, it will unlock the car if you do so.

Last edited by OSH : 19th October 2020 at 10:33.
Old 6th August 2021, 22:15   #101
BANNED

Sorry to bump up such an old thread, but my question is about the long term future of the 4th generation city.

Will Honda eventually stop making this, say a year down the line and and launch a 5th generation S or SV variant a cheaper price, or is this a long term plan by Honda to continue with two different generations (like Maruti does, albeit in a different way selling the previous generation as the Dzire Tour)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks