Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2020, 14:45   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Prices are not too bad. The 1.3L top end turbo petrol CVT is same as the mid spec Seltos CVT:

Attachment 2007146
Hmm, not too bad, but nothing that'll really set Nissan's sales charts on fire IMO.

As of now, the 1.5L is there for the lower sticker price, but it could do more harm than good for the Kicks. IMO Nissan could have gone all-out and simply launched the 1.3L Turbo Kicks, and done away with the 1.5L altogether. Nissan should have even re-positioned the Kicks to be a 'Turbo' version, and boasted about its superior power and torque figures compared to its rivals. Then, the sticker price could make sense, because the Kicks' turbo range ends where the Creta's and Seltos' begins.

The price difference between the 1.5L NA petrol and the 1.3L Turbo is 1.85 lakh for the XV variant. If you simply go by that comparison, the 1.3L turbo seems a bit overpriced. It's a similar pricing strategy which Maruti adopted with the S-Cross 1.6L - sure that was a bomb of an engine, but did the masses buy it? NO. Reason, why pay so much more when you can have the same car for much lesser. A turbo version that has really succeeded is the Venue's, where the price difference between the weak 1.2L and 1.0L Turbo (comparable spec) is merely around 1 lakh. Now that difference seems easier to digest, and there are other factors too that helps the turbo Venue to succeed like dealers are doing their best to convert 1.2L buyers to 1.0L, and the limited stock availability of the 1.2L.

You could argue that Hyundai and Kia are so much more expensive and the Kicks seems like a bargain in front of them, but my point is that firstly, the percentage of sales of the turbo petrol version is much lesser than the NA petrols in their case; and secondly, both these are blockbuster hits in the market, so they can get away with charging that kind of a premium. In Nissan's case, it's unfortunate, but the Kicks is a market dud, and the company needs to go out of its way to attract buyers.

So in conclusion, with this engine, the Nissan Kicks might just be a hoot to drive and some driving enthusiasts would even lap it up, but it isn't going to do much for the sales charts.

Last edited by S2!!! : 18th May 2020 at 14:48.
S2!!! is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 14:50   #122
BHPian

I'm in the market for new car, and these prices slightly disappoint me. Even in my previous post, I was expecting XV manual turbo to be < 11.5.

Its ~2.3 lacs extra for xv turbo compared to xv 1.5. I feel that's steep, with this pricing, i'm in dilemma. Will wait for reviews, td and then book it.

And Nissan surprised the market with XV 1.5 petrol for <10lacs, which is less than BS4 pricing. This is the most valued variant, if someone is looking for big car but on tight budget. As this variant is much equipped than seltos HTE petrol.

Anyone in team bhp, who is working for nissan and looking for a new friend?
ramki.grandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 14:53   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Manual variant of Turbo top spec is a cool 2lac cheaper than Seltos on road! A.S.S aside, if this car doesnot tilt an enthusiast, nothing will.
Comparing just the pricing may not be the best way. Seltos offers a lot more equipment in its top variants. If you include all that, you will realise that the difference is pretty small.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 15:02   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Comparing just the pricing may not be the best way. Seltos offers a lot more equipment in its top variants. If you include all that, you will realise that the difference is pretty small.
Kicks top spec is fairly loaded, but yes will miss some nifty features like HUD, Sunroof,Air purifier etc. But You get more power on tap and savings of 2lacs. Two things that favour Seltos at this point is Kia A.S.S and DCT gearbox(in case of AT)!
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 15:17   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Kicks top spec is fairly loaded, but yes will miss some nifty features like HUD, Sunroof,Air purifier etc. But You get more power on tap and savings of 2lacs. Two things that favour Seltos at this point is Kia A.S.S and DCT gearbox(in case of AT)!
Air bags ? TPMS? These are other top of mind differences that i can recall. I no way deny that Kicks is fairly loaded but it may not be fairly priced. If you include all these equipment, pricing will be on par or just a shade below the Seltos. All Kia has to do is to introduce a low spec Turbo DCT variant (not sure if its already there) and Kicks will be dusted. Yes, more power is one sure shot big differentiator which enthusiasts will love.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 18th May 2020 at 15:18.
tarik.arora is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 15:43   #126
BHPian

Looks like someone messed up on the Nissan Website. This page shows the Kicks CVT with Three Pedals
Call it the work of a lazy graphic designer and a poor proofreader maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-screen-shot-20200518-3.39.05-pm.png  

TejasKinger is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 16:00   #127
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Looks like a foot break just like the one in Teana
Old 18th May 2020, 16:23   #128
BHPian

The enthusiast in me tells 'what a wonderful deal for a turbo petrol. This is gonna be the next big thing for enthusiasts who are expecting powerful motors with good drivability'.

But the family man in me tells 'who is going to buy a dying brand and will I risk my hard earned money on this machine. I would prefer a Creta or a Seltos instead'.

I remember a previous thread where the discussion was about manufacturers launching good versions of their cars years after they are launched which affect their sales badly. May be that will be applied to Kicks as well.

But Kudos to Nissan for waking up from their sleep.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 17:06   #129
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I believe these prices are only about par for course. The car isn’t overpriced, but all talks of shock prices have remained just that. And this car really needed shock prices to grab any attention from the Hyundai Kia juggernaut. Honestly, I see this going the Linea or Punto way - moderate sales initially that die after a while. Most people will just not see any reason to experiment with this instead of simply buying Seltos. Won’t be surprised to see discounts during the festive season.
I actually feel these are fantastic prices. For instance the top end GT line manual trim of seltos costs 16.29L exshowroom Pune. Kicks manual turbo petrol costs a mere 13.7L. Once you factor in the OTR prices, I am sure the total difference will work out to more than 3 Lakh rupees, which is substantial!

Ofcourse, the seltos offers some more equipment too. But if someone wants the more power, Kicks sure can be a good option.

Last edited by 07CR : 18th May 2020 at 17:12.
07CR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 17:08   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Prices are not too bad. The 1.3L top end turbo petrol CVT is same as the mid spec Seltos CVT:

Attachment 2007146
I sincerely feel that they have goofed up with the variants and pricing.

1.5 NA variants seem to be priced justifiably but what's with a premium of Rs 1.85 L for equivalent variant in Turbo and further additional premium of Rs 1.5 L for the CVT? These differences are going to increase further by approx. 15% amount by the time OTR prices are calculated.

Further they seem to believe that buyers of Turbo+CVT variant dont deserve to get the (O) variant features!

I think they dont seem to learn even a thing from the competitor's recent grand success (read Seltos) when it comes to variants' spread! If they are strategising their meritorious product in this immature way which is supposed to bring them back into good numbers against a formidable competitor like Seltos, I seriously believe that they deserve to die in our market.

I always prefer buying a Japanese/European product over a Korean brand and this powerful 1.3 Turbo CVT really made my mind curious. If priced well, I was keen to buy this Turbo + CVT version with the top variant (O) features but i wont be even visiting the showrooms now anytime soon.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 18th May 2020 at 17:16.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 17:10   #131
BHPian

On road Bangalore pricing for the Kicks BS6 are as follows:
XL 1.5: Rs11,56,000
XV 1.5:Rs12,15,000
XV TURBO PETROL:Rs14,90,000
XV PRE TURBO PETROL:Rs15,85,000
XV TURBO 1.3CVT:Rs16,85,000
XV PRE (O) TURBO:Rs17,15,000
XV PRE TURBO CVT:Rs17,73,000

Source:Carwale

Pricing for the 1.5 petrol seems okaish but the turbo petrol is definitely expensive and the top end manual competes directly with the Kia Seltos GTK.
Will be interesting to see if Indian consumers will prefer the extra power instead of looks and resale value as the creta SX at 16.8lac on road comes with a huge panoramic sunroof,reliable engine and fantastic resale value.
This reminds me of the battle between the S cross 1.6 and the Creta 1.6 diesel where the Creta 1.6 won the sales battle by a huge margin eventhough the Scross 1.6 was a pure enthusiasts delight.

Last edited by Sahilrai166 : 18th May 2020 at 17:25.
Sahilrai166 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 17:56   #132
BHPian

Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol to be launched soon

The pricing is decent but could have been better. Having said that, the XV turbo MT variant should satisfy enthusiasts and when compared to Kia turbo petrol(GTK) , it is easily cheaper by a good 2 lakhs. Creta does not have a manual petrol turbo option.

As far as turbo auto variants are concerned, XV Turbo CVT on road price is equal to Kia GTX DCT's ex-showroom.

Agreed, Kia/Hyundai would have more number of features wrt Kicks but again the Kicks should have them beat in the 'driving satisfaction' department, not only because of more power but a more rewarding ride handling balance, higher GC too. Also the CVT scores much higher than DCT as far as reliability goes.

Last edited by Waspune : 18th May 2020 at 18:02.
Old 18th May 2020, 18:45   #133
BHPian

Firstly, Kudos to Nissan who got this 156 BHP, 254 NM engine which is more powerful than VW T-ROC priced at 19.99 Lakhs Ex-showroom. Jeep Compass has 5 BHP more at 161 BHP. In terms of Engine, it is definitely superior to the competition and is comparable to the next segment.

How does it compare to the Koreans?

I see blunt conversations here talking about sunroof and Electric parking brake. We have to take a closer look by comparing the variants and prices to see the real value Nissan offers.

Turbo Petrol Manual comparison

Nissan kicks XV Pre (O) Turbo MT (13.9 Lakhs Ex.sh) Vs Seltos GTK petrol MT (13.8 Lakhs Ex.sh)

For almost the same price, Nissan offers the below as extra
  • Additional Power and Torque
  • Leather seats
  • 360 Camera
  • ESP
  • Traction control
  • Hill hold assist
  • Auto headlamps
  • Rain-sensing wipers
  • 4 Airbags (Kia offers only 2 at this price)

What Nissan misses out (What Kia Seltos has at the same price)
  • Telescopic steering wheel (Nissan only has tilt adjust)
  • LED taillights (Nissan has normal tail lights)
  • Rear sunshades
  • 60:40 Split rear seat (Nissan is foldable however without split)
  • Rear Disc brakes
  • Mood lights (Nissan has it in addl. accessories)

I feel Nissan offers plenty of value compared to Kia especially on the safety front, kindly note I have only mentioned the differences, all the other features not mentioned above are on both the cars.

Turbo Petrol Automatic comparison

Nissan kicks XV Pre Turbo CVT (14.15 Lakhs Ex.sh) vs Seltos GTX petrol AT (16.29 Lakhs Ex.sh)

Nissan Kicks is cheaper by almost 3 lakhs in on road price. By spending an additional 3 Lakhs for Kia you get the below.
  • DCT (Nissan has CVT)
  • 2 additional airbags (Nissan has 4 airbags, Kia has 6)
  • TPMS
  • Air purifier
  • Auto IRVM
  • Wireless charger
  • UV Glass
  • Traction modes
  • Auto headlamps
  • Rain-sensing wipers
  • 60:40 seat
  • Rear door sunshades
  • Rear Discs
  • Mood lights

Hyundai Creta SX AT at 16.16 Lakhs offers panoramic sunroof, electric parking brake and paddle shifters but misses out on some features in the Kia Seltos.

If you want a cheaper Turbo petrol automatic that is troublefree (CVT) and is more powerful, you can save 3 lakhs by opting for Nissan, obviously without the above features mentioned.

To summarise, I feel Nissan Kicks does seem Value for Money in both Manual and AT Turbo Petrol options.

Kudos Nissan

Last edited by Godzilla : 18th May 2020 at 18:55.
Godzilla is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 19:25   #134

I don't feel very excited with the pricing, especially for CVT which is not even available in the XV Premium (O) top variant. Keeping aside a lot of the frills that Seltos / Creta have to offer, the leather finish in the top variant gives the Kicks some semblance of premium-ness.
Old 18th May 2020, 19:55   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahilrai166 View Post
XV TURBO PETROL:Rs14,90,000
Assuming this is right then the turbo petrol Kicks can be had for a mere 30k more than Seltos HTK Plus 1.5p. That's a good enough deal considering the extra tap on power!

The turbo Seltos/Creta start from 17.5l OTR which is a big margin.

What's funny is the Koreans complaining of the lack of interest for turbo petrol models. I believe its the pricing that keeps the GT line and SX-O turbos away from buyers. Will Kicks with a significant price difference show the Koreans how its done?

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 18th May 2020 at 19:58.
Nithesh_M is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks