Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:38   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT56 View Post
I am leaning towards the kicks because if I have to slow down for potholes with a creta, I might as well get a sedan.
Folks, please dont treat the Kicks as the ultimate unbreakable "tank" that it is being made out to be. On bad potholes, you still have to slow down the Kicks or any other car or SUV for that matter, otherwise you risk damaging the suspension or something worse. It's just that crossovers in most conditions won't bottom out such that the underbody takes a hit, which can happen in a sedan. On mild potholes, any decent crossover with large wheels and thick sidewall height will do well.
fhdowntheline is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 14:53   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Folks, please dont treat the Kicks as the ultimate unbreakable "tank" that it is being made out to be. On bad potholes, you still have to slow down the Kicks or any other car or SUV for that matter, otherwise you risk damaging the suspension or something worse. It's just that crossovers in most conditions won't bottom out such that the underbody takes a hit, which can happen in a sedan. On mild potholes, any decent crossover with large wheels and thick sidewall height will do well.
I don't think kicks is an ultimate unbreakable "tank". I agree that most cross overs have a limit to how bad a road they can handle. I just found kicks more comfortable on the typical bad roads that I drove on compared to creta. But this was on very short test drives and may be the difference is not that much. Do you feel creta handles bad roads better than kicks? I would love to know your thoughts on creta's ride and handling vis à vis kicks.
NT56 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 16:37   #318
BHPian

The Terrano, which is on the same platform as the Kicks, just gobbles up potholes for breakfast, lunch and dinner (including snacks ).

The faster I go over potholes, the lesser I have felt it.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 18:21   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
The Terrano, which is on the same platform as the Kicks, just gobbles up potholes for breakfast, lunch and dinner (including snacks ).

The faster I go over potholes, the lesser I have felt it.
I have owned the 2WD Duster, which is the "tau" of the Terrano/Kicks. In comparison with the Duster and Creta-2020, here are my views albeit with the caveat that my Creta is about 750 km old, but already had a taste of terrible roads courtesy Pune region.
No doubt, the Duster (and its family members) will have better articulation, approach, ramp over and departure angles as compared to the Creta. However, both the Duster and the Creta are "middle of the road" in terms of bad road comfort-neither too soft nor too harsh. You may feel like driving the Duster/Terrano/Kicks a bit faster over bad roads, but it is'nt like you can abuse the car at will. Part of this tendency is because of the "rugged/utilitarian " feel of these cars in terms of their overall ambience and how their gearshifts and steering operate. But the suspensions will wear out if abused too much, as they would in a Creta. Except that being a Creta with its relatively sophisticated ambience, you would'nt want to bash it too much.

In a nutshell- would I take the Creta/ 2WD Duster with confidence to Leh? Yes.
Would I try to wade through river streams? -Only if the Alto/Dzire ahead of me has done so successfully.
fhdowntheline is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 22:10   #320
BHPian

Quote:
However, both the Duster and the Creta are "middle of the road" in terms of bad road comfort-neither too soft nor too harsh. You may feel like driving the Duster/Terrano/Kicks a bit faster over bad roads, but it is'nt like you can abuse the car at will. Part of this tendency is because of the "rugged/utilitarian " feel of these cars in terms of their overall ambience and how their gearshifts and steering operate. But the suspensions will wear out if abused too much, as they would in a Creta. Except that being a Creta with its relatively sophisticated ambience, you would'nt want to bash it too much.
In my test drive I found myself slowing down the Creta over bad roads not because of its sophisticated ambience but more because it felt uncomfortable.

You make a good point that going fast over bad roads, might damage the suspension of either car in the long run.

Thanks for your thoughts, you have clearly driven both cars a lot more than me and can make better comparisons.
NT56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 01:00   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Part of this tendency is because of the "rugged/utilitarian " feel of these cars in terms of their overall ambience ..
You couldn't have put it better; I'm going to use this "sophisticated ambience" line from now on That explains why we baby certain cars while bash certain others, though they may be equally competent both mechanically and price/segment-wise.

My friend calls them "agricultural" - those cars you don't mind beating up.
hortons15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 11:29   #322
BHPian

Can someone throw some light on year end discounts offered on Kicks?

Also are the Latin NCAP crash test ratings applicable for Indian variant of Kicks? The Latin variant scored 4 stars with "Unstable" body structure. I knocked off Seltos for bad crash test ratings from my list, I don't want to proceed with Kicks if it has same ratings as Seltos or Duster (as Kicks is based on Duster platform).

ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 12:57   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Also are the Latin NCAP crash test ratings applicable for Indian variant of Kicks?
Hi, this particular model is made in Brazil and for the Latin Market. So its most likely based on their tried and tested Nissan V platform.

On the other hand, the Indian version of Nissan Kicks (longer in length) is based on Dacia B0 platform (same as Duster, Capatur, Terrano)

So unfortunately, not much you'd be able to draw much from this particular crash test video. Maybe try looking up performance of BO platform in crash tests instead, just for reference.
Diesel_Drives is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 13:28   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Drives View Post
On the other hand, the Indian version of Nissan Kicks (longer in length) is based on Dacia B0 platform (same as Duster, Capatur, Terrano).
As per Autocar site Kicks is based on M0 platform which is same as Duster. Can you clarify?

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...evealed-417311
Old 24th November 2020, 18:55   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
As per Autocar site Kicks is based on M0 platform which is same as Duster.
From what I know and have searched online, platform 'B' (now platform V) is used for original/true Renault and Nissan products. 'BO' was itself an iteration, used for Dacia (Rebranded Renaults)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_B_platform

Further still, another derivative came out of it as 'MO' platform (longer than BO) which was used in Lodgy, Captur and Kicks (Indian versions)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...al-review.html (Renault Lodgy : Official Review) : "Launched internationally in 2012, the Lodgy is based on a stretched Duster / Logan platform"

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-99-lakhs.html (The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs) : "The new Renault crossover is likely to use underpinnings from Renault and Dacia's M-Zero platform which is slightly longer and is created especially for longer models like the Lodgy that need to be built on a tight budget."

So now you have options of platforms, to figure out your original query. And thanks to you even I got updated on this again.
Diesel_Drives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 13:05   #326
gus
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Test Rode the Nissan Kicks today.

The car has got a certain road presence which others in this segment lack. Its taller, wider and longer and also stands a bit higher than others. The seating position is commanding and the view is great. Easy to drive in spite of being a big bulky car. NVH levels were good and the ride quality was quite good. Small potholes felt like nothing (given it had wide 17 inch tyres).
To me, it looks better than any other in the segment, still it has got its own shortcomings due to which I wont go for it.

- Rear seats were a bit short on under thigh support. Although very wide and could accommodate 3 easily.
- No speed sensing door lock. I test rode the top model.
- Gear box not very smooth. Notchy as they call it.
- Clutch is a bit hard, not a very traffic friendly car.
- No dead pedal. Also not quite spacious near the clutch area due to which every time I pressed the clutch, I rubbed my foot on the side wall. If I could notice it while on a test ride, I would be pissed if I had to endure it everyday while driving.
There was one thing however which I liked about the clutch and that was that the clutch didn't snap back the moment you released it, it came back quite smoothly which means no jerks while changing gears in case you lift your foot off the clutch pedal immediately after changing the gears.
- Engine felt a bit stressed not very smooth revving. I did not feel the punch of a turbo engine which everybody talks about.

Overall driving experience in the city wasn't what I had expected. On highways maybe it could perform better but my driving is mainly in the city so its not for me.
gus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 19:58   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan Kicks Turbo Automatic review

Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 04:45   #328
BHPian

I am currently in the market for a new CSUV for personal and family use at Kolkata. My other car, which is at my work city Bangalore, is a beloved Punto Abarth.

Recently I test drove the Kicks Turbo manual and absolutely loved it. The power, the delightful hydraulic steering, the suspension and the NVH levels are miles ahead of anything else in this segment in my opinion. Considering the car is coming at a significant discount, I was ready to book it without hesitation.

However, on the day of booking I took a second test drive from my home, and realized that it required incredibly tight maneuvering (involving closing the ORVMs) to get the car inside our parking (designed for Maruti 800s I am guessing) thanks to its width. Once inside the parking, it would require some contortions for the driver to get in/out. So with a heavy heart I told the SAs that I wont be going ahead.

However, now the regret is real. There is nothing else in this price range that matches the price/performance/dynamics of the Kicks Turbo. From previous experience I know how irritating it is to have a tricky parking spot, but I also know that I will get used to it. I had decided to wait for the Taigun/Kushaq, but I know that those cars would be several lakhs more expensive and will have long delivery delays, not to mention potential niggles that accompany any new launch. I am currently agonizing over whether to book the car anyway or wait for new launches.

All in all, I consider those owning this vehicle to be really lucky.
maxratul is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 16:25   #329

Hello,

I did a TD of the Nissan Kicks Turbo CVT today. Much has already been written about the car, so I dont have much more to add, except to say that I loved the drive. My current car is a Ford Fusion 1.6 Petrol, and the Kicks seems to be a worth successor.

Few things I noted:
- Missed a dead pedal...will take some getting used to.
- the left armrest is quite useless, I was barely resting my elbow on it.
- The TD car was in pretty good shape - driven about 7500 kms. The drive was very comfortable, both in the driver's seat and in the backseat.
- The space in the back is good, but could have done with better underthigh support.
- The "M" mode was really cool, and the gearshifts were seamless. I drove in a fair bit of traffic.

Now, I have a question, and need some advice from the more seasoned buys here:

I got this price list from Surya Nissan (Bangalore). They are offering me around 40K off the final OTR price (18.25 lakh down from about 18.65 as per the quote). Any suggestions on what I can negotiate with them on?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
The Nissan Kicks 1.3L turbo petrol, launched at Rs. 11.85 lakh-img_6048.jpg  

Old 14th July 2021, 20:40   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalrshah View Post

I got this price list from Surya Nissan (Bangalore). They are offering me around 40K off the final OTR price (18.25 lakh down from about 18.65 as per the quote). Any suggestions on what I can negotiate with them on?

I took delivery of my XV Pre(O) dual tone manual kicks in kolkata 3 weeks ago. The rates are different in Kolkata - all in all it came to 16.1L minus the extra warranty.

I didnt have any exchange or needed financing, so discounts I got were 30K cash + insurance at 50K. Nissan is apparently giving major discounts on exchanges and in some cases on financing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks