Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2020, 16:52   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Rumour: Kia planning to setup second plant in India

Kia Motors to invest another $54 million in Andhra Pradesh - Link
Quote:
New Delhi: South Korean automobile giant Kia Motors on Thursday announced investing an additional amount of $54 million in Andhra Pradesh towards the expansion of the manufacturing facility near Anantapur.

This announcement was made by Kia Motors India Chief Executive Kookhyun Shim, while participating in an AP government's program.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 18:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Kia to ramp up India capacity by up to 40%

Source : TOI

Quote:
plans to boost production at its Anantapur factory in Andhra Pradesh from 18,000 on a monthly basis to nearly 25,000 units.

Asked whether the company will set up a new factory or a manufacturing setup as it moves towards the initial 3-lakh capacity target, he said fresh investments will not be a constraint and any further expansion will happen at the existing location.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:47   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Kia to ramp up India capacity by up to 40%

Source : TOI
I would like Kia to address just one thing: how would they cope up with the semiconductor shortage? Nothing wrong in ramping up production, but I'm just curious to know how Kia has managed to find a way around a worldwide problem which even Toyota, being the largest carmaker & having a stockpile of millions of semiconductors in reserve, has not found a solution & is forced to cut down production.
Even other Indian companies are struggling (e.g. Mahindra)
The alternate explanation: a publicity statement with no clear timeframe.
Big Smoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
I would like Kia to address just one thing: how would they cope up with the semiconductor shortage? Nothing wrong in ramping up production, but I'm just curious to know how Kia has managed to find a way around a worldwide problem which even Toyota, being the largest carmaker & having a stockpile of millions of semiconductors in reserve, has not found a solution & is forced to cut down production.
Even other Indian companies are struggling (e.g. Mahindra)
The alternate explanation: a publicity statement with no clear timeframe.
I don' they think have. The waiting times for Sonet have hit the 4-month mark now. I was speaking to one of their sales rep and he is of the opinion that more than 10,000 units of the Sonet are lying idle at the plant due to a lack of an Infotainment unit.
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:30   #20
BHPian

While the news goes in line with the success of KIA in India but the biggest challenge is how will the overcome the shortage of semiconductors.

Officially, Maruti Suzuki, Mahindra and Toyota have accepted production delays owing to the semiconductor shortage and unofficially Hyundai as well as KIA are facing challenges in fulfilling the on-time deliveries.

Producing more cars are fine but you need the ECU and AVN units before the car can leave the plant.
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:51   #21
BHPian

Good news for those who still want to buy Kia cars; hopefully this should bring down waiting period. There doesn't seem to be any new car launch planned by Kia. Hence, increased manpower capacity (via 3rd shift) should help narrow waiting period.

Semi-conductor issue will get resolved for all by 2022 as per various reports. Hence, till then top end variants will continue to see waiting.

One thing though I don't understand - When will KIA come out clean on build quality, borderline 2 star NCAP rating. Maybe once XUV700 is out in market and korean siblings after feeling the heat, will start working on safety. I don't want to talk about car breaking into two parts in an accident, but still for 20 Lakhs car, a person should ask for better build.
manpreetsj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed