Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2020, 10:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jeep rejigs Compass BS6 variant lineup

Jeep has made some changes to its Compass BS6 variant list. The SUV is available in five trims - Sport Plus, Longitude, Longitude Plus and Limited Plus. The Longitude Option variant has been discontinued.

Jeep rejigs Compass BS6 variant lineup-jeep.jpg

The Compass is available with a BS6-compliant 1.4-litre petrol engine that produces 161 BHP and 250 Nm. It comes paired with either a 6-speed manual or 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

The BS6-compliant 2.0-litre diesel unit makes 171 BHP and 350 Nm and is available with a 6-speed manual or a 9-speed automatic gearbox. All-wheel drive is only available with a diesel engine.

Variant-wise ex-showroom prices:

Petrol

Sport Plus - Rs. 16,49,000

Longitude Plus DCT - Rs. 19,69,000

Limited Plus DCT - Rs. 21,92,000

Diesel

Sport Plus - Rs. 17,99,000

Longitude - Rs. 19,40,000

Longitude 4X4 AT - Rs. 21,96,000

Longitude Plus - Rs. 20,30,000

Longitude Plus 4X4 AT - Rs. 22,86,000

Limited Plus - Rs. 22,43,000

Limited Plus 4X4 - Rs. 24,21,000

Limited Plus 4X4 AT - Rs. 24,99,000

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 11:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jeep rejigs Compass BS6 variant lineup

The highlight seems to be the addition of the Longitude Plus AT. The main difference seems to be the addition of sky grey synthetic leather seats, bi-xenon headlamps over the Longitude version.

In comparison to the Limited Plus trim, it misses side airbags, curtain airbags, the sunroof, the larger touchscreen, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers, power driver seat adjustments, 18 inch alloy wheels, seat position memory, true leather seats etc. That is quite a lot to sacrifice for an additional ~2 lakhs ex-showroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep rejigs Compass BS6 variant lineup-capture.png  

84.monsoon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 12:47   #3
Team-BHP Support

This is still confusing. lol. Can't jeep make anything simple.

They have dropped the Sport, Longitude (O) and Limited (O).

However its still not clear which is 2WD and which is 4x4. We all know that AT is 4x4 by default.

Am I right in understanding from Tushar's post that 4x4 MT is only available in Limited Plus. Other than that 4x4 is available in the AT.

So basically if you want 4x4 MT you have to spend for the top most spec. Else get the mid spec AT with ZF9.

The range seems to be better spread out now but I think they are missing an MT 4x4 lower down for some buyers.

It should have been:

4x2 MT - 3 variants
4x4 MT - 2 variants (now only 1 variant)
4x4 AT - 3 variants
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 13:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

If Jeep wants to see original numbers back, Compass needs a price correction. The cheaper Seltos/Creta, Hector/Harrier is making it very difficult for Compass.
PrideRed is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 13:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Excellent product ruined by marketing strategies or the lack thereof.

The only variant with manual 4x4 is the limited plus. Confirmed with PPS Jeep sales person yesterday.

On the other hand there is no 4x4/AWD left in the market at all. Scorpio, XUV5OO, Bolero, CRV, Duster, MuX etc have all discontinued the 4x4 versions post BS6.

The only ray of light is the upcoming Thar.

The Jeep still remains overpriced and I have my doubts on the brand's survival.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 13:37   #6
BHPian

The diesel variants, particularly, are simply overpriced.

They need to include more features in the Longitude Plus -- at least leather seats, 18 inch alloys and the larger touch screen. Is it that one can have these features in Compass only if one buys a variant with the large panoramic sunroof, memory seats, etc? A car worth 20 lacs ex-showroom should have minimum of leather upholstery and larger touchscreen system, etc. I told a Compass sales executive once that even after paying 22 lacs, you don't have a proper 1 liter bottle-holder to offer. He frowned upon my saying that.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 21:30   #7
Team-BHP Support

No matter how many variant rejigs and new models they come out with, at the end of the day the Compass is overpriced by exactly 2 lakhs.

All the prices mentioned need to drop by 2Lakhs for this compact SUV to sell. They simply cannot demand full SUV pricing.

The Hector and Harrier and XUV5OO are full sized SUV's for far far lesser.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 21:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

It is better for them to remove that lone 4x4 MT variant. At 24 lakhs ex-showroom, there will be very few takers for that variant. Even though Hector, Harrier, and XUV are larger sized, Compass is still the only 4x4 vehicle out there. With XUV AWD AT discontinued, it is the cheapest 4x4 AT in India now.
Old 21st April 2020, 05:43   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
It is better for them to remove that lone 4x4 MT variant.
Overpriced - yes, but in my opinion, that 4x4 MT is the best variant in their current line-up. I hope they don't kill it with another round of rejig.
Old 21st April 2020, 07:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

For the current sale pattern and future prospects, just two trims in petrol diesel and two transmission options are enough. Longitude P/D, Limited P/D and each Diesel with 2W/4W option. Plus they should offer 6 airbags in all trims as standard.
Old 21st April 2020, 09:04   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What's really delivered a body blow to the Compass is the newer competition. The Seltos, new Creta, Hector & '20 Harrier make the Compass look grossly overpriced. Jeep India needs a reality check as they still think their product is the "most superior" in the market. I suggest they take a look at the sales numbers.

Sad to see, because for a driving enthusiast, the Compass is the car to buy. It is so much fun on the open road.

The only thing that can help the Compass is a price-cut. But we'll probably see a vaccine for Covid-19 before turtle-slow FCA India reacts. In comparison, consider Ford's lightning fast response times. Remember how they slashed the EcoSport's prices the minute the Vitara Brezza arrived?
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 14:15   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Am I right in understanding from Tushar's post that 4x4 MT is only available in Limited Plus. Other than that 4x4 is available in the AT.

So basically if you want 4x4 MT you have to spend for the top most spec. Else get the mid spec AT with ZF9.

The range seems to be better spread out now but I think they are missing an MT 4x4 lower down for some buyers.
Right from BS6 launch, 4x4 in the manual variant was with Limited Plus only.

Yes, they could have offered 4x4 in lower variant as well.

Jeep rejigs Compass BS6 variant lineup-price-list.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Sad to see, because for a driving enthusiast, the Compass is the car to buy. It is so much fun on the open road.
Very true.

Last year it was a big decision for me on whether to wait for BS6 or go with BS4 variant with discounts, I think I took the right decision by going with BS4. If not, with BS6 pricing plus restricting 4x4 to Limited Plus, I would've had to shell out another 6L around. Of course, at this pricing I would have dropped the plan altogether.
arun_josie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 15:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

You know what's funny? You can't buy a Jeep Compass for less than 20 lakhs onroad. Not even the petrol FWD manual.
Nithesh_M is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 15:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
You know what's funny? You can't buy a Jeep Compass for less than 20 lakhs onroad. Not even the petrol FWD manual.
Well, the Sport Plus petrol 2WD can be had for 19.60 odd Lakhs OTR in Pune right now. But then - who buys that variant? I don't think I have seen any on the road! The ones that matter - are still costly & standing on the fence of being called "old" compared to new entrants considering when the car was launched.

Jeep / FCA is doing another unique thing like the Compass. They are doing a lot of rejigs, that don't seem to make any difference. If they are doing anything good with the pricing - its something very remarkable as its not noticeable to laymen like me at all!
Old 21st April 2020, 16:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think that base version is over 21 lakh rupees in Karnataka. I can maybe even rationalize the 4x4 prices considering the hardware but the FWD variants starting from 21 lakhs OTR is a joke. I am not expecting Creta/Seltos pricing but if the FWD manual petrols were priced around the Hector's that would have lured some customers away from Seltos/Creta/Hector because the Compass has the better driving dynamics over them all.

Does the base Petrol 1.4 get independent rear suspension? I haven't seen one either. Someone in my area had a Longitude and he sold it within a few weeks of purchase.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks