Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2020, 10:53   #16
MSC
BHPian

Re: Govt. could allow carmakers to resume production

As far as I think, there is really no need for rushing in. Even if manufacturing starts, what will be fate of the vehicles produced? They'll waiting in company stock yards exposed to bright Indian sun and other weather extremes. Since there is most likely no movement of trailors to transport till situation really improves on ground zero, this is going to be a simple case of pileup. Who will be affected? The poor customer who will end up with car which has seen almost 20-30 days of weather extremes.
There is clear cut no need to give respite in hurry and then biting own tail and again go back to lockdown status after sometime again.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 11:19   #17
BHPian

The suggestion from DPIIT has included automotive units which comprises of commercial vehicles, railways as well apart from cars and bikes. I think CVs (trucks) and railway units are very important in current scenario as compared to cars/ bikes and can be given a go-ahead with necessary precautions.

Last edited by ast.ggn : 14th April 2020 at 11:21.
Old 14th April 2020, 12:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I cannot speak for other manufacturers but for example, Maruti has NO stocks of BS-VI Ciaz petrol in South India. Only way to get one is to order it (exact colour+variant combo), and only then will production start (or would have started in a non-COVID-19 utopia). I personally experienced this expecting to waltz in and choose my new Ciaz
https://www.carandbike.com/news/due-...ome-topstories

Due To Social Distancing, Maruti Expects Car Boom After Lockdown Ends
Old 15th April 2020, 08:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Maruti has installed these disinfecting tunnels in Manesar and Gurgaon plants:
That's a good initiative. But what I'm worried about is that this infection is an airborne/aerosol borne one and virus is carried in nostrils. This kind of tunnel won't have any effect on the viruses inside the nostrils. What we really require is social/physical distancing and hygiene. I've seen such tunnels being put up at many places. Only time will tell if this has any effect.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 09:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
That's a good initiative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Why should they be unscientific, just because it is NOT SUPPORTED BY SCIENCE.
  • I think this is a good start, because producing vehicles is non-critical. This will enable them to learn and iron out all the bugs in the process and apply the same learning to other industries.
  • I hope they will not depend on just the tunnels. I also hope they will spray only dilute hydrogen peroxide, which is likely the least harmful of all disinfectants. Please correct me if I'm wrong. There is another component to this tunnel business - it is a morale boosting spray !
  • I have always suspected that all the masks and air purifiers used in industries made no sense at all - it is likely that those running factories want to be absolved of their responsibility for their employees' health, and the industries producing such equipment are happy to oblige with cheap excuses for protection in collusion with the certifying authorities. We could go into a big discussion into the effectiveness of such equipment, but leave that aside for another day. Suffice to say that most blue collar workers are led to believe that these masks, air purification systems and tunnels are protecting them and that their employer cares about their health. The same is happening with this virus protection equipment. With smarter people wearing PPE, industries and health authorities will be bombarded with questions on their effectiveness.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 10:56   #21
BHPian

If there is an anticipation that car buying could surge shortly after Corona, if the inventories of BS-VI vehicles produced so far is small, if the export market has started moving orders, the manufacturers will be desperate to get back on track. I’m sure most managements by now would have etched a comeback strategy.

Government regulations are very important to arrest the pandemic because a manufacturer’s objective is always business continuity. On the other hand, a prolonged lockdown slowly breeds in a social unrest when critically affected people may take law in their hands. So IMO, the next level actions can be stage wise relaxation, localized lockdown and continuous fishing and isolation of infected.

In case the Government allows manufacturers to restart, it should ensure strict adherence to SHEMS standards.

Best practices for a manufacturer:
- Only business critical activities should be allowed
- Whoever can work from home, should work from home, especially the aged.
- Whoever comes to office should have passed COVID-19 testing, this would also reduce the burden on Government as big chunk of screening will be borne by companies.
- If the locality the employee hails from is infected, restrict him.
- Regular sanitation of common touch areas
- Masks are mandatory, wear appropriate PPE for example hand gloves
- Social distancing strictly observed
- Screen for body temperature at the entry
- Turn off HVAC circulation mode
- No company transport, no cab, no car pooling
- No canteen, no common utensils

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 15th April 2020 at 11:12.
Old 16th April 2020, 16:11   #22
BHPian

I got an interesting forward on whatsapp...the world economy is crashing because we are only buying essential things.

To me, its a profound thought and I can see it from my monthly outflow, eating healthy, no silly purchases online, no eating out etc.

I am also in the same camp, will be a minimalist once things are back to normal. Big tickets are on hold for the near future.
Old 18th April 2020, 15:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

MG India head Mr.Rajeev Chaba on their plans post the lockdown and how it has affected their operations.

Source : Overdrive

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/f...on-operations/
Old 23rd April 2020, 08:26   #24
BHPian

As predicted by a lot of members on this thread - Auto companies in no hurry to restart operations as road slowly opens up

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/75305169.cms
Old 23rd April 2020, 09:20   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
As predicted by a lot of members on this thread - Auto companies in no hurry to restart operations as road slowly opens up

https://m.economictimes.com/industry...w/75305169.cms
Maruti is very keen to start as they have no BS-VI stocks of the Ciaz, Brezza etc. However, the GoI & MoRTH have flip-flopped so many times on restarting that they are understandably cagy of setting any dates etc.
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

The current scenario is pretty uncertain. Let's assume a company starts partial operations and then there's a sudden breakout in that region. The plant will be forced to go in for a second round of shutdown. It makes sense to commence only when there's more clarity on how the situation develops.

The lack of consumer demand will be evident post lockdown and the sector will see little recovery in the immediate term.

In China, the auto manufacturers are giving cash benefits to customers to stimulate demand. I guess we'll be seeing price cuts and discounts as well.
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Maruti is very keen to start as they have no BS-VI stocks of the Ciaz, Brezza etc. However, the GoI & MoRTH have flip-flopped so many times on restarting that they are understandably cagy of setting any dates etc.

Yes, right.
The decision to start production, how much to produce and what to produce is best left to the planning departments of the manufacturers (I mentioned this on the thread earlier as well). Each company will take it's own path to restore normalcy once government is able to provide clear directives.
Old 23rd April 2020, 10:41   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

No commercial or industrial environment is designed to operate while enforcing social distancing full time. Whenever the restrictions are lifted and people start going out, there is bound to be a second wave. If the onus of that is solely put on the management of the companies, that is a very short sighted and unfair policy. No management will give the signal to reopen in such a scenario.
Old 24th April 2020, 11:45   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti not to resume production despite government’s go-ahead.

Quote:
it was good that the government granted permission and that it would help them prepare for the future, but there “is no way we can start production”
Quote:
Cars cannot be produced until all components are produced on a steady and regular basis. And this means thousands of vendors have to start production. It is not likely to happen today because many of them are in red zones or containment zones. We cannot get the complete set of components. The retail outlets have not been opened yet. There is no permission. So you cannot produce unless you can sell

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 12:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think the main reason car companies won't resume is the other govt order that says the heads of the organization will be held responsible if any worker is infected.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks