Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2020, 14:08   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics: Suzuki Swift Sport caught in India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjotbains View Post
This might be brought as a test mule to gauge the public response as well as test the 1.4L boosterjet. Who knows they might think about plonking the 1.4 boosterjet in Scross and Brezza? Or maybe in the Creta rivalling SUV they are jointly developing with Toyota?
Test mule to test the car + create / check public response sure makes sense. Maybe this is indeed the reason to bring the car here.

To test the engine - especially if to be used for an SUV, bringing a fully assembled hatchback may not be the best approach. The engine will behave completely differently in the heavier cars afterall.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 14:30   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 2500-unit rule will exempt it from homologation formalities, but not import taxes. That could result in a price tag of 17 - 20 lakhs.
I sure hope Maruti plans to add a sporty variant to the Swift (locally-built).
Maybe they want to start production of this here for Export markets.

However, If I was someone at Maruti, I would have been busy bringing some halo models to get back the crowds into the showrooms. After all these depressing weeks, job uncertainties, buying a new car will be not something on everybody's mind.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 15:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

I hope they launch it in India. Only because this is a market that needs to be created, and only a market leader has the ability to pull this off. Automatics used to be a niche until maruti started shipping large quantities of amt's. I'll probably not buy it, but it is the car India needs to kick start this segment and reach critical mass, so that jtp etc will become a sensible business case.
greenhorn is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 17:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

If this car is anywhere around the 10-11L ex-showroom mark, I will buy it eyes closed. But looks like that will remain a dream, just like:
  • Expecting this to come with a 1.4L Turbocharged direct injection petrol engine with 140BHP The current Swift is no slowpoke. Imagine close to double the power
  • Getting a six speed automatic/manual
  • Getting a mild hybrid 48V system as the icing on the cake
If this dream really turns true, I will take back that one foot I have stepped out of Maruti and return to owning this car
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 18:02   #20
BHPian

Honestly they don't need to get it as a cbu, just stuff the underpinnings in the Indian swift, hell just give us the 1.4 boosterjet mated to the 6MT in the swift and we can upgrade suspension and brakes ourselves

The price of the cbu will be way too expensive and will see the same faith as the Polo gti, and I highly doubt Suzuki will willingly get the car here as a halo product knowing they will lose money. Although they should do it as it will help to gain brand value for them and as greenhorn said, it will help create a market for performance hatches which India. It's about time we get great handling mini hot hatches here and don't have to buy a boring pseudo SUV to get a decent engine.
Revmatch99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 18:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I sure hope Maruti plans to add a sporty variant to the Swift (locally-built).
Exactly, like a Swift 'turbo' or something, even 110-120 bhp will do for me if not more. And as you rightly said, should cost <Rs 10 lakhs.

I was amazed when the 1.0 Boosterjet engine was not extended to the iconic Swift! Instead went to the Baleno in an 'RS' variant which had nothing 'RS' about it except for the shiny grille and some interior tidbits.

Hope we get a proper souped up Swift. I wouldn't mind trading my 1 year old Swift for it!
ds.raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 13:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where did you get that news? Nope, the Swift Sport isn't built in India.
https://www.just-auto.com/analysis/w..._id178143.aspx
https://www.indiatimes.com/technolog...ng-354452.html

So either Japan, Thailand or Gujrat
Old 9th April 2020, 12:28   #23
BHPian

While the specs and the reviews are rave about the Swift Sport, I personally will stay away from it due to its tin can build. Heavy power without a safe body keeps me away. Will go for a much better build any day like the new GT TSI or the GTi or the Abarth or the Mini.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 16:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2TSI7DSG View Post
While the specs and the reviews are rave about the Swift Sport, I personally will stay away from it due to its tin can build. Heavy power without a safe body keeps me away. Will go for a much better build any day like the new GT TSI or the GTi or the Abarth or the Mini.
Swift sport will run circles around the GT tsi and Abarth, and the so called "tank" Punto scored 0 stars in Euro ncap.

The regular Swift is also a more fun to drive car than the heavier and softly sprung Polo.

But the " my car is a tank, MS are tin can" fanboys will always complain about anything Suzuki does.
I really want Suzuki to get the Swift Sport here because it will send these fanboy running for cover and piss off many people who go on saying the soft, disconnected driving experience of Polo is "fun to drive".
Revmatch99 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 20:25   #25
BHPian

Whatever Suzuki decides to do, I just don't want it to end in the S-CROSS 1.6 way. Even if they are planning to launch this engine here in India then swapping this engine into the swift chassis shouldn't be too difficult. Another question I want to ask is that what if we try to turbo the K14B? The bore and stroke number seems to be identical between K14B and K14C.
Old 9th April 2020, 21:06   #26
BHPian

Regardless of the performance, vehicular safety will be my foremost consideration. MS's record in matters safety, specifically in India, has been average at best. With a speculated kerb weight of 900-950 kgs how safe or rewarding will it be to drive on highways maintaining triple digit speeds?
Kuldeep31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 21:23   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuldeep31 View Post
Regardless of the performance, vehicular safety will be my foremost consideration. MS's record in matters safety, specifically in India, has been average at best. With a speculated kerb weight of 900-950 kgs how safe or rewarding will it be to drive on highways maintaining triple digit speeds?
Just because the car weighs as much as a tank doesnt mean it will be safe just look at the Punto scoring 0 in euro ncap.

Also i would choose a lighter hot hatch over a heavier one any day as it will be more rewarding to throw around corner, remember this is a hot hatch not a autobahn cruiser, its main purpose is to be fun on a narrow curvy road.

Also doing continuous triple digit speeds and top speed runs isn't the smartest thing to do on Indian highways.

It handles triple digit speeds just fine though :

Old 9th April 2020, 21:38   #28
Team-BHP Support

I'm not convinced that Maruti Suzuki will be launching this in the Indian market - but it would be a welcome move nevertheless! Fifth gear has recently compared it with the UP GTI and declared the little Swift to be the winner -

Hope they bring in the real deal, and not a 1.4 turbo version of the Indian Swift. The compromised Indian platform is just not something I would want to buy, with such a powerful engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revmatch99 View Post
Swift sport will run circles around the GT tsi and Abarth, and the so called "tank" Punto scored 0 stars in Euro ncap.

The regular Swift is also a more fun to drive car than the heavier and softly sprung Polo.

But the " my car is a tank, MS are tin can" fanboys will always complain about anything Suzuki does.
I really want Suzuki to get the Swift Sport here because it will send these fanboy running for cover and piss off many people who go on saying the soft, disconnected driving experience of Polo is "fun to drive".
Sorry, but this is very misleading because of the apples to oranges comparison. Euro NCAP standards =/= Global NCAP standards. You cannot directly compare the star ratings.

The Swift sold in India that scored 2 stars in Global NCAP rating is inferior to a Euro NCAP 0 rating of the European Punto Evo. Euro NCAP rating system requires side pole tests and mandatory safety assist systems now (the reason for the zero - it doesn't have side airbags nor safety assist systems!) - whereas Global NCAP only performs a front offset deformable barrier test.

Name:  Screenshot 20200409 at 9.32.02 PM.png
Views: 1350
Size:  117.9 KB

Whereas the Indian Swift in comparison has 'weak' protection for the chest and 'poor' protection for the feet -

Name:  Screenshot 20200409 at 9.32.17 PM.png
Views: 1359
Size:  95.2 KB

Compare the results of both AOP for frontal-offset deformable barrier test and you have your answer. Couple that with the unstable bodyshell integrity - Indian Swift is nowhere close in comparison. I'd rather pay the premium for a European CKD/CBU Swift Sport instead, which is a genuine Euro NCAP 3 star car.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th April 2020 at 21:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2020, 22:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Instead of doing all this, why can't Suzuki just plonk the 1.5 NA engine in the current Swift, tune it in a 'sporty' manner and launch it at a reasonable price ?

I think the 1.5 NA in a light car like Swift would be a lot of fun, no ?
Old 9th April 2020, 22:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sorry, but this is very misleading because of the apples to oranges comparison. Euro NCAP standards =/= Global NCAP standards. You cannot directly compare the star ratings.
I agree i was just trying to throw light at the fact that Punto is not the safe tank that people think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
Instead of doing all this, why can't Suzuki just plonk the 1.5 NA engine in the current Swift, tune it in a 'sporty' manner and launch it at a reasonable price ?

I think the 1.5 NA in a light car like Swift would be a lot of fun, no ?
I've been thinking about this since the k14 days, a k15 Swift would be even more fun than a boosterjet due to the responsiveness and no lag of the NA engine. On top of that it would also be more reliable than a stressed 1L turbo 3 banger.

AM racing has done a k14 swap on an Ignis and beaten a GT TSI in a drag race despite the Polo having the DSG advantage, the power to weight advantage helped the Ignis win.

A K15 swift in higher state of tune would be the perfect middle ground between fun and affordability.
Revmatch99 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks