Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2020, 11:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 BS6 details out; no diesel engine option

Thanks to Manivannan Palanisamy for sending information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Hyundai has updated the Elite i20 for BS6 compliance. The car is no longer available with a diesel engine option.

Hyundai Elite i20 BS6 details out; no diesel engine option-i20.jpg

The Elite i20 BS6 is available in three variants - Magna+, Sportz+ and Asta (O). The top-spec variant gets projector headlights with cornering lamps and 16-inch diamond cut alloy wheels. A 7-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity is available on all variants except Magna+. Other features include multi-function steering wheel, Bluetooth, voice recognition and automatic climate control with rear AC vents.

The Elite i20 BS6 is powered by a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 82 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 114 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission.

Hyundai Elite i20 BS6 details out; no diesel engine option-i2010.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 12:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 BS6 details out; no diesel engine option

Why no 1.0 turbo petrol option? Atleast on the top spec? Wierd and confusing. They should have provided the Venue diesel engine with the same state of tune as of the outgoing 1.4 CRDI
Old 19th March 2020, 12:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Why no 1.0 turbo petrol option? Atleast on the top spec? Wierd and confusing. They should have provided the Venue diesel engine with the same state of tune as of the outgoing 1.4 CRDI
This is just to highlight that the i20 comes with a BS6 petrol engine.

The 1.5CRDI(with FGT) and 1.0 Turbo Petrol will probably come in with the new i20. Though at this time I am not sure if the launch would be delayed with the Sars-CoV-2 pandemic.

Last edited by JithinR : 19th March 2020 at 12:07. Reason: Added a few details
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 12:06   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The turbo option will be introduced in the 2020 model. This is temporary only.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 12:13   #5
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the impending launch of the next-gen i20 around the festive time(subject to Covid-19 pandemic and related issues etc.), it would not have made a business case to equip this car with newer engines.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 21:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

While we can safely assume that the 1.5 diesel and 1.0 GDi would be available with the next gen, does it make no sense for Hyundai to offer a 1.4 (gasoline engine) AT?
Old 20th March 2020, 08:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
While we can safely assume that the 1.5 diesel and 1.0 GDi would be available with the next gen, does it make no sense for Hyundai to offer a 1.4 (gasoline engine) AT?
Both the old engine and the 4-speed torque converter (from the previous Verna) were retired a long time ago. It would not make any fiscal sense to renew the big 1.4 engine which would attract bigger duties than the 1.2, for BS6. The 4-speed torque converter is too old, archaic and relatively lethargic in the age of DCTs, although it's reliable. Pairing the CVT would cost Hyundai way more than it could recover from what is scheduled to be discontinued within months.
GipsyDanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 09:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyDanger View Post
It would not make any fiscal sense to renew the big 1.4 engine which would attract bigger duties than the 1.2, for BS6. The 4-speed torque converter is too old....
IIRC the Elite i20 was sold with the 1.4 + 4 speed auto. Converting it to BS6 would most likely be easy, but not generate volumes to justify the cost.

I still feel that engine + transmission combo was way superior to Baleno and Jazz CVTs.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2020, 23:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Thanks to Manivannan Palanisamy for sending information in.
I have always found Hyundai i20 petrol to be seriously underpowered. I think the absence of diesel mill, which were the enthusiasts' bet, may haunt Hyundai.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 20th March 2020 at 23:44. Reason: Trimmed the post within quotes for better readability. Thanks.
Old 21st March 2020, 12:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I have always found Hyundai i20 petrol to be seriously underpowered. I think the absence of diesel mill, which were the enthusiasts' bet, may haunt Hyundai.
That problem should be resolved with the introduction of the 1.0 liter turbocharged mill from the Venue. From the reports available, it will be in the same state of tune as the Venue, and producing around 120 bhp. This should make the car pretty powerful for its class. As is the recent trend with Hyundai, this would probably be available only in a higher trim, thereby making it a pretty expensive car on road.
Old 26th March 2020, 18:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Elite i20 BS6 launched at Rs. 6.50 lakh

The Hyundai Elite i20 is now available with a BS6-compliant petrol engine. Prices range from Rs. 6.50-8.31 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Hyundai Elite i20 BS6 details out; no diesel engine option-elite-i20.jpg

The Elite i20 BS6 is available in three variants - Magna+, Sportz+ and Asta (O). The car comes with projector headlights with cornering lamps and 16-inch diamond cut alloy wheels.

On the inside, the new Elite i20 gets a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment head-unit with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, multi-function steering wheel, Bluetooth, voice recognition and automatic climate control with rear AC vents.

The Elite i20 BS6 is powered by a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 82 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 114 Nm @ 4,000 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed manual transmission. The car is no longer available with a diesel engine or a CVT option.

The Elite i20 is available in five exterior colour options - Polar White, Typhoon Silver, Stardust, Fiery Red and a dual-tone shade of Polar White with Black Roof.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks