Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2020, 16:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Hyundai Elantra diesel to be launched in April 2020

According to a media report, Hyundai is likely to launch the Elantra diesel sometime in April 2020.

Rumour: Hyundai Elantra diesel to be launched in April 2020-hyundai_elantra_exterior.jpg

The Elantra facelift was launched in October, last year. At launch, the car was only available with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine. It produces 150 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 192 Nm @ 4,000 rpm and comes mated with either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission.

The report states that the Elantra diesel is expected to come with the same 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel that powers the Kia Seltos. This engine produces 113 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 250 Nm @ 1,500-2,750 rpm. The engine could be paired with a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission.

It has also been reported that the Elantra diesel will be offered in four variants - S MT, SX MT, SX AT and SX (O) AT.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 17:44   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Hyundai Elantra diesel to be launched in April 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, Hyundai is likely to launch the Elantra diesel sometime in April 2020.

Attachment 1979591

The Elantra facelift was launched in October, last year. At launch, the car was only available with a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine. It produces 150 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 192 Nm @ 4,000 rpm and comes mated with either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission.

The report states that the Elantra diesel is expected to come with the same 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel that powers the Kia Seltos. This engine produces 113 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 250 Nm @ 1,500-2,750 rpm. The engine could be paired with a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission.

It has also been reported that the Elantra diesel will be offered in four variants - S MT, SX MT, SX AT and SX (O) AT.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
I drive the last gen (2018) Petrol version of the car. The car is feature-rich, the engine is super refined and has got impressive power & torque figures on paper, but that's it - when it comes to highway cruising - it's a big let-go!!!

Looking at this news, Hyundai is coming up with a further toned-down (diesel) engine - That too bad! It means, they are not valuing customer-feedback.
Keralite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 17:53   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

It is good that they are bringing back the diesel in the Elantra. Improves the choice of buyers.

However, my fear is that with the power figures and the engine specification of the diesel Civic and the diesel Elantra, 1.5/1.6 diesel engines have now become a norm and not the exception. A few years back, with the presence of cars like the Jetta, the Octavia and the Cruze, the 1.5 of the Fluence and the 1.6 of the Elantra used to be seen as an exception and to some extent, a compromisefor their segment. I will not even mention the 1.4 D-4D of the Corolla(Oh, I just did ).

In 2020, it is actually the other way around with the Octavia being an exception with its 2000cc diesel and rest of the segment having an engine close to 1500cc. I hope that this does not make VAG cut costs and start offering the next-gen Octavia with their 1.6 TDi. That would be huge loss for all the diesel-heads out there. This trend will also discourage any new entrants to this segment(if we are lucky) from offering a bigger diesel engines in their offering.

Last edited by AYP : 13th March 2020 at 18:07.
AYP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 20:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

This seems like a good move to me. Having a lacklustre diesel is better than having no diesel, at least in the D segment and above. Downsizing seems to be the new norm here. Judging by history, Hyundai’s high-rpm refinement will probably be better than, say, Honda’s 1.6 i-DTEC or Toyota’s 1.4 D-4D. This seems like a good buy for chauffeur-driven owners, though we can’t judge before it’s launched. Keep in mind that this will probably be the only diesel automatic D1 segment sedan post BS6, unless Škoda comes back to its senses and plonks at least the 1.6 TDi in the Octavia. The fact that the segment is dying is another issue altogether.

I really wonder, though, why Hyundai decided not use the 2.0L diesel from the Tucson that was displayed at the Auto Expo this year. That engine would have been a true all-rounder in the Elantra. Sedans seem to be getting step-motherly treatment from Hyundai of late. They seem to be getting engines from a segment below as compared to SUVs in the same segment. The Verna gets the 1.0 Turbo-GDi engine from the Venue instead of the Creta’s 1.4 T-GDi. The Aura gets a detuned version of the same engine instead of its full tune on the Venue. I wish Hyundai would, at least, launch a sensible petrol on the Elantra. Right now, neither engine is a very sensible choice. The 2.0L petrol will be a deal-breaker for it’s fuel-guzzling nature, while the diesel will just be underpowered. The 1.4 T-GDi from the Seltos would have been a welcome move on the Elantra and wouldn’t have been a very difficult task since both cars are built on the same platform.

Bottom line, the 1.4 Turbo-GDi and the 2.0 CRDi would have been a better formula for success.
ron178 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2020, 23:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Am no fan of 1.5 diesels anymore, not in cars like Elantra and Marazzo. Yeah they are functional, frugal but the positives end there.

I bought a Marazzo and on my recent trip down to konkan, I constantly was wishing for 500cc/30 more horses! In comparison, my 1.5tdci ecosport was fun to drive even with 5 aboard and their luggage.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 13th March 2020 at 23:33.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks