Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 00:56   #211
BHPian

Re: Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled

I would love to know how the suspension tuning of Carens will be? Both Sonet and Seltos are tuned comparatively on harder side as compared to Venue and Creta respectively.
Being a family tourer, I hope Kia gets the suspension setup correct so as to provide smoother ride quality.

In terms of looks, I feel it is neutral in design and not as sharp looking like previous launches of Kia.
DrCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 04:52   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vignesh Vee View Post
There's no such government regulations for engine refinement, quality or reliability. That's why these manufacturers hide their flaws with Global ncap ratings. They advertise as the 5 star rated car, people think the entire car has 5 star quality

That's why I said, I want to see an agency, which starts testing the quality of the engines and the reliability of the car and provide ratings. A car is associated with numerous factors, not only safety. So it's good to have those ratings as well. We can't decide whether a car is good or bad with just safety alone.

I don't ever recall a tata engine being called as unreliable and have yet to see major cases of any of thier current portfolio lacking in this department. Nor is there any quality concerns being reported on the quality of materials apart from rare cases in the same.

It seems that you don't really want to discuss the cars in question and just want to diss tata in every thread. Hope the mods put an end to this unrelated line of bashing.
Bluengel180 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 08:06   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarpotdar View Post
Hm. 6 airbags. But the curtain airbags don't seem to cover the 3rd row passengers!!

Ref: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...216_122106.jpg

Contrast with XUV700 where the curtain airbags protect 3rd row passengers too: https://auto.mahindra.com/suv/xuv700...tions-features
This is something that Hyundai has been doing since Alcazar where the Curtain Airbag does not give coverage to third row unlike a Toyota Innova that does. This is very strange and shows the company's approach to safety. Basically they used common airbag of Creta 2 Row in the Alcazar and Carens 3 Row. This is a cynical move which reminds me of Suzuki. Here in Japan, Honda especially developed an additional airbag for 3rd row for Freed and other cars which graduated from 2-Row to 3-Row. Hyundai and KIA with their image of premium-ness and appeal to younger generation, have pulled the wool over people's eyes very effectively including the European agenda driven GNCAP. Sadly, very few threads in even Team BHP call them out. I have had a Hyundai car and have loved driving it and the value proposition it represents but increasingly the value proposition part is disappearing.
Carma2017 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 09:46   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia has unveiled the Carens - its upcoming MPV in India.

Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-6.jpg

The Kia Carens MPV will be available with 3 row seating in 6 & 7-seater configurations. The prices and variants have not been revealed yet, but it’s expected to be priced above the Seltos crossover and similar to the Hyundai Alacazar. It might be share engines and transmissions with the Seltos too. The Carens will be sold in India and a few other markets. It will be available from the first quarter of 2022.

While the details about the exact engine options have not been announced officially as yet, what has been conveyed so far is that the Carens will be offered with both, petrol and diesel engines and multiple transmission options, including a 7-speed DCT and 6-speed torque converter AT. The car will also have three selectable drive modes - Normal, Eco and Sport.

The body style of the Carens is a blend of a crossover and MPV. While the long bonnet looks like it belongs to a crossover, the high roofline, tall windshield and lengthened wheelbase are clearly MPV-like. The wheelbase is claimed to be the longest in its class.

The car comes with six airbags standard across all trims. After the embarrassment Kia had faced with the Seltos crossover’s 3-star GNCAP rating, Kia has claimed that the Carens is one of the safest vehicles in India. While the crash test rating is yet to be disclosed, the providing six airbags as standard across all variants is a welcome move and might prompt other car manufacturers to follow. Other safety features include Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Vehicle Stability Management (VSM), Hill-Assist Control (HAC), Downhill Brake Control (DBC), Brake Assist System (BAS), tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) and all wheel disc brakes.

While the Carens has a Crossover-like front end...
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-1.jpg

...the side profile, rear end, long wheelbase and high roofline are clearly MPV like:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-2.jpg

Stretched rear doors:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-3.jpg

Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-4.jpg

DRLs in the headlamp clusters are designed based on Kia’s new lighting concept called "The Star Map". The upper part of the huge headlamp clusters are DRLs, while the lower part are the actual headlamps, which are LED type:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-8.jpg

Carens also gets front parking sensors:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-9.jpg

The Carens, thankfully, comes with 16" rims and 205/65 section tyres, which are better suited for our road conditions than the 17" and 18" options offered in some trims of the Seltos:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-44.jpg

Rear bumper has huge chrome garnish:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-10.jpg

Spare tyre is carried under the body:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-14.jpg

Three new colours have been introduced including Imperial Blue (seen in the images at the top of this post), Sparkling Silver (seen in this image).. Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-11.jpg

...and Moss Brown:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-img_20211216_133649.jpg

Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-img_20211216_133702.jpg

Interiors:

Just like rest of the car, limited details on the interiors have been provided:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-21.jpg

Dashboard is not shared with the Seltos crossover. Infotainment system is all new and has a 10.25" touchscreen head-unit featuring next generation Kia Connect with OTA (Over the Air) map and system updates. It is now possible to update software without visiting a Kia workshop. Other interior features include a Bose sound system with 8 speakers, 64 colour ambient mood lighting, air purifier with virus and bacteria protection, ventilated front seats, a dedicated air freshener mounting system, smartphone wireless charger with cooling function, sunshade curtains for the rear doors, 5 C-type USB charging ports and 2nd row seats with electric tumble function:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-d1.jpg

Front seats:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-22.jpg

2nd row will have captain seats and bench seat options with recline and slide functions along with electric tumble option for access to the 3rd row. Foldable armrests are provided with captain seats:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-23.jpg

2nd row passengers also get retractable seatback trays with cup and gadget mounts and sliding type underseat trays:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-24.jpg

3rd row seats with the 2nd second row seats moved quite a lot forward. The 3rd row seats can be reclined. The display cars were locked but from the look of it, don't expect to much space in the 3rd row. However there is decent amount of luggage space behind the 3rd row:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-25.jpg

An image showing all 3 rows:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-26.jpg

Unlike its Hyundai cousins, the Creta and Alzacar, the Kia line-up including the Carens, still has a smaller, non-panoramic sunroof, which only covers the front row of seats:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-41.jpg

No sunroof coverage for 2nd row of seats. Instead, there are A/C vents on the roof:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-42.jpg

Roof mounted A/C vents for the 3rd row of seats:
Kia Carens midsize MPV unveiled-43.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd December 2021 at 10:44.
.anshuman is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 12:39   #215
Senior - BHPian

The 3rd row legroom isn't much different from competition standards... It's either 2nd row comfort or for 3rd row. The small sunroof is also a bummer, but there's reason for that (cooling vents). Makes sense over Ertiga for diesel & turbo petrol only.
Any information on the boot space? May help people who prefer CNG.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 13:30   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

From the pics, it looks like it has a pretty low floor(like the Renault Lodgy). Is it just me or anyone else thinks that front armrest and door elbowrest look like they will suit only taller passengers?
PrasannaDhana is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 13:37   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The 3rd row legroom isn't much different from competition standards... It's either 2nd row comfort or for 3rd row.
The 3rd row legspace seems really low. Even lower than Alcazar Coupled with its MPVish design, no way is this going to be priced above or along the Alcazar. I expect this to start at 11-12 lakhs.
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 13:51   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
The 3rd row legspace seems really low. Even lower than Alcazar Coupled with its MPVish design, no way is this going to be priced above or along the Alcazar. I expect this to start at 11-12 lakhs.
Perhaps not Alcazar high but probably not cheap either.

These things are standard according to their website.

6 Airbags, ABS, ESC, HAC, VSM, DBC, BAS, All-Wheel Disc Brakes, TPMS Highline and Rear Parking Sensors available across ALL CARENS VARIANTS
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:58   #219
BANNED

No competition to Ertiga yet in sight and Maruti must be happy about it They will happily sell Ertiga + XL6 more than 10K every month.

This look good but pricing is key here. If it goes beyond 25 Lakhs OTR (top end), not sure if people will prefer this over Innova. Over all nice effort by Kia but mostly this will go Alcazar way only is my gut feeling. Let's see.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 11:59   #220
BHPian

My apologies if this offends anyone (I know the car isn't out yet but there are people who flip on hearing anything against their own judgement)
But in my opinion this has to be the uglyist car in the recent releases. People were bashing Hector for being ugly, well this takes it to a whole new level.

It's a Kia Carens for the Karens.
DeepCarTalk is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 12:59   #221
BHPian

They were talking about Carens being spacious with a usable 3rd row during the unveil. With a whole 40mm more than alcazar, I don’t see how it will make the 3rd row usable with boot space to spare even with that “segment leading” wheelbase!
Old 22nd December 2021, 16:03   #222
BHPian

To me it looks like the Wagon R and Ertiga joined together. Its a pretty odd looking car. Won't be a head turner for sure. Dont think this will sell well if priced at par with the Alcazar, considering the general publics preference for bling(read panaromic sunroof and chrome) over safety features.
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:51   #223
BHPian

What an ugly thing!
The fact that it resembles the MG Gloster when viewed from the sides puts me off.
The 2nd row seats are too low from what I can see(note the high window line).
Lack of 3rd row space is another thing to be considered.
The interiors look a class apart though. Better than the Seltos and Sonet in that aspect.
Engines straight out of the Seltos should give it an edge.

Hope it looks better in flesh and Kia prices it sensibly.
Old 22nd December 2021, 19:07   #224
BHPian

Disappointed with the reveal. The teaser images were interesting. But I'm not happy with the overall look. Personal opinion.
Old 22nd December 2021, 19:20   #225
BHPian

Looks beautiful to me. It just feels like an MPV version of the Soul sold abroad. But, I just hate that digital instrument cluster. Looks similar to the one on the i20. While they have managed to add 64 colour ambient illumination in the cabin, I hope they've not forgotten to put in some of those LED's underneath those power window, window lock and the mirror control switches. If not then, funny they've got lights all over the place except where they should have been present on priority.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks