Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:01   #406
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Zac Hollis says the automatic variant based on the torque converter will be launched during September.

A Rider variant based on the TC box would sell like hot cakes if Skoda prices it right. Waiting for the monthly sales reports - would love to see the no. of dispatches to dealers.
The question was for the Rider variant. But Zac Hollis did not mention about the Rider variant. So, I assume it might not be launched in the Rider variant from start. Skoda might introduce the automatic in base variant in future.

They already have got people's mood in their favour. So, they are able to pull people into their showrooms. And would have resulted in better sales number had the Corona thing would not have been there.

Around December- January times, they might bring in their base auto version which will give another push to their brand momentum.

But there's a big corona question for everyone. We want to upgrade but then common sense prevails.
Any new purchase has to have a very strong reason, else sit on cash.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd July 2020 at 21:23. Reason: Typos
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:00   #407
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
Not sure if anyone noticed this, but Zac Hollis expressed his willingness to bridge the gap between “rider” and “ambition” variant of the Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI. This makes me believe a new variant to be launched around the festive season, with a few more features added.
Exactly. If Skoda bridges this gap then the customer can be sold a Rapid and he may not look elsewhere.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd July 2020 at 21:22. Reason: Typo
Old 2nd July 2020, 13:13   #408
BANNED

Hope Zac realizes the potential of a Rider automatic. There is a big market for an Automatic sedan under ₹10 lakh, heck even compact sedan automatics cost more than that! There has never been a more oppurtune moment in Indian car history (plagued by Corona and associated financial turmoil that people are very reluctant to spend much on cars) for Skoda to do a master stroke and stun the opponents. I would buy one just because of the safety it offers. Good luck guys at Skoda India, don’t regret later that you could have gone all out, you ain’t got anything to lose! You can always feel that at least you tried.
The Rationalist is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:37   #409
Senior - BHPian

Turbo Comparison

Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:13   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Rapid beats Verna by 2.5 seconds on the 0-100 Run. So the Verna, despite the turbo petrol engine and the Dual Clutch gearbox, still takes a leisurely 12.5+ seconds to reach 100! Even the 1.5 NA variant of the Verna seems faster. Now I am totally missing the point of why Hyundai went ahead with launching such a weak powertrain in the supposedly sporty “Turbo” variant. They are diluting their big red Turbo badges by putting them on underpowered cars. The Verna clearly deserved the 1.4 TGDI, especially given the on-road price of close to 18 lakhs for this car.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd July 2020 at 21:21. Reason: Typo.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 21:39   #411
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Now I am totally missing the point of why Hyundai went ahead with launching such a weak powertrain in the supposedly sporty “Turbo” variant.
Verna isn't underpowered - the timing is bad because the DCT gearbox is playing it safe and doesn't allow a proper launch. Good only, because the DCT is having issues already in cars like the Seltos. They should have launched a manual variant as well - just like with the Rapid.

Even the 100hp version in the Aura is good to drive - so the Verna was something to look forward to - but I'm not touching their DCT gearbox anytime soon. Hyundai feels built to last till the warranty period and the DCT will be an expensive affair since then.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd July 2020 at 21:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 00:38   #412
BHPian

I test drove the Skoda Rapid today. To summarise: quite impressed, total VFM.

The dealership and SA experience was quite good, I was expecting pushy or rude behaviour.

The engine is indeed a gem, it pulls and pulls. There is that sudden Torque, which is typical of a Turbo (Diesel owners will know), but the lag that is typical of a Turbo is very well contained! While I did not test the car at Highway speeds, it seemed at home, both straight off a red light and while cruising.

Though the 3 cylinder engine noise was there, but it did not bother me. I liked it. In fact, I had to reduce the fan speed and open the window to notice it in the first place, and when I did, nothing that displeased me. The SA got a little irritated here and said "Sir, you should buy electric, they are silent".

The "Candy White" colour looked elegant, but it's the "Carbon Steel" that got my heart, it combines elegance with sexy!

I mentioned to the SA that I'm a TeamBHP member and there was a slight change in his demeanour, maybe he realised I'm no Tom, Dick and Harry just coming to experience a SKODA.

The AC was quite a chiller in 42C of heat! (maybe I'm specifically mentioning this because my Dzire's AC was definitely not up to the job today)

As expected, I was being up sold the Ambition variant. To give some good news, Skoda is already offering decent discounts on the Ambition variant, which reduces the difference between Rider and Ambition; turning a no brainer to a confusing decision!

I am looking to replace my Dzire soon, and Rapid is a top contender!

People who are not specifically looking for a smaller car, but shopping in the budget of <10L, just go for it. Get the service package, ask the dealership to inform you when the upcoming 6 year extended warranty becomes available; and drive peacefully for next 10 years.

Last edited by bansal.sushant : 4th July 2020 at 00:51.
bansal.sushant is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 09:12   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal.sushant View Post
As expected, I was being up sold the Ambition variant. To give some good news, Skoda is already offering decent discounts on the Ambition variant, which reduces the difference between Rider and Ambition; turning a no brainer to a confusing decision!

The price difference between Rider and Ambition is quite wide at 2.5 lakhs, the difference in kit is only worth about 75K. What is their strategy to up-sell? Even if they offered a massive discount say 1 lakh or so, it would be hard to justify the price difference. Are they using other tactics such as low availability of the Rider? i.e., is Rider only a namesake variant to pull customers into the showroom, to be told that they cannot have it for say 6 months, due to low availability?

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 4th July 2020 at 09:14.
Old 4th July 2020, 10:25   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The price difference between Rider and Ambition is quite wide at 2.5 lakhs, the difference in kit is only worth about 75K. What is their strategy to up-sell? Even if they offered a massive discount say 1 lakh or so, it would be hard to justify the price difference. Are they using other tactics such as low availability of the Rider? i.e., is Rider only a namesake variant to pull customers into the showroom, to be told that they cannot have it for say 6 months, due to low availability?
That 1.5-2 lakhs would still be worth it IMO. Factory fit will always be factory fit and for those who don't have time, it's always better to get a well equipped car in the first place compared to all the effort and time that's required to source and install all the components.

If you love DIY, the rider is a no brainer and will be a fun project car.
Old 5th July 2020, 01:57   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejascshetty View Post
It also looks like the Rider variant introductory prices of 7.49 Lakhs may not last for too long as even the new Vento base variant is priced comfortable higher. This would allow them to price the Rider variant higher though still remaining VFM.
I booked the Rider variant last week in Noida. Managed to get a Rs. 25,000 exchange bonus and also got them to charge the Road Tax on actuals (made a difference of approx 6000). Could not get the Logistics Charges waived (will pursue them for a refund once I get the car :P). However I was informed today that the exchange bonus scheme has been withdrawn this month for the Rider variant and that I should not expect delivery anytime soon due to overwhelming demand of the Rider variant.

Now, not only has my cost increased by 25k, I think I also run the risk of the introductory pricing being increased. Is their any grapevine about such increase?

Also, I wrote a nice email to Zac on the withdrawal of exchange offer post booking. He responded with a standard email saying someone from his team will contact. I know that the final pricing and offers are applicable as on the date of purchase, I am just trying my luck. Will update you guys when I hear from them.

On a separate note, I am finding it difficult to wait for the Rider and itching towards getting the Ambition/Onyx variant, which are readily available and with some discounts too (I haven’t checked for the exact number). In that context, can you guys please share any insights on whether I should consider it? If yes, would be grateful if some of the good folks here can share any quotations/discounts offered for the Ambition/Onyx variants. I saw some posts on Bangalore prices, but those do not indicate the quantum of discounts offered.

PS: I should mention that I was initially looking for a premium hatch or a compact sedan and the VFM aspect of the Rider variant was one of the key reasons for going ahead with Rapid in the first place and now I maybe am just being too excited to get my hands on the car. 😉
vishal_b is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 07:39   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal_b View Post
On a separate note, I am finding it difficult to wait for the Rider and itching towards getting the Ambition/Onyx variant, which are readily available and with some discounts too (I haven’t checked for the exact number). In that context, can you guys please share any insights on whether I should consider it? If yes, would be grateful if some of the good folks here can share any quotations/discounts offered for the Ambition/Onyx variants.
I visited the Delhi dealership a few days back so I can provide you some information for the above.

I have mentioned in my test drive experience (scroll up), that Skoda is offering decent discounts on the Ambition variant, whereas the Rider has at least 1 month of waiting.
The exchange bonus is available on the Ambition, and with that + the new discount, the different comes down from ~2.75L to < 2L with some scope for further negotiation.

You can PM for the exact details (not sure if I should share here), I will share the quotation and can also connect you with an SA.

All the best for you decision!
bansal.sushant is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 08:15   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

If anyone is even considering going for higher variants like Ambition and Onyx, you should stop and look at the Vento. The interiors look much nicer and less dated and steering wheel is absolutely delicious looking and top of the line, shared with the Tiguan Allspace and T-Roc. The Vento highline plus is way better equipped than the Ambition or Onyx.

For 10.99 lakhs, the Vento Highline Plus TSI edition has that great looking GTI grill, full LED headlamps, 4 airbags, cruise control, that great steering, the genuine VW ICE with Android Auto and Apple Car play instead of the Aftermarket looking tablet on the higher variants of the Rapid. You also get the “Boss Lever” to move the front passenger seat from the back seat (which I believe the Rapid no longer gets) and you get leather seats and high the Rapid Ambition does not get.

The Vento highline plus “TSI Edition” is a lakh cheaper than the equivalent Monte Carlo edition in the Rapid. So if you want a value buy among the base variants, go for Skoda and for a value buy along the higher variants, then go for the Vento.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 5th July 2020 at 08:31.
84.monsoon is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 11:29   #418

Quote:

You can PM for the exact details (not sure if I should share here), I will share the quotation and can also connect you with an SA.

Thanks Sushant! Messaging you right away.

Quote:
If anyone is even considering going for higher variants like Ambition and Onyx, you should stop and look at the Vento. The interiors look much nicer and less dated and steering wheel is absolutely delicious looking and top of the line, shared with the Tiguan Allspace and T-Roc.
I honestly did not find any appreciable difference in the interior except the steering wheel, which I can live without. It is the exteriors, especially the front, of the Rapid which I found to be significantly more premium looking than the Vento. Hence the choice.

Quote:
The Vento highline plus “TSI Edition” is a lakh cheaper than the equivalent Monte Carlo edition in the Rapid. So if you want a value buy among the base variants, go for Skoda and for a value buy along the higher variants, then go for the Vento.

I agree that the Monte Carlo edition is not a good value for money, hence not even considering it by any stretch. The Ambition/Onyx however appear to be worth considering. They do not have that trashy ICE offered in Style/Monte Carlo either, but have the good old RCD 330.

Quote:
Thanks Sushant! Messaging you right away.
Unfortunately it seems PM facility is not available to me as I have joined only a couple of days ago and not yet at the "BHPian" level. Can I request you to please PM me the offer details?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th July 2020 at 12:56. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 5th July 2020, 18:46   #419
BHPian

Quote:
I booked the Rider variant last week in Noida. Managed to get a Rs. 25,000 exchange bonus and also got them to charge the Road Tax on actuals (made a difference of approx 6000). Could not get the Logistics Charges waived (will pursue them for a refund once I get the car :P). However I was informed today that the exchange bonus scheme has been withdrawn this month for the Rider variant and that I should not expect delivery anytime soon due to overwhelming demand of the Rider variant.

Now, not only has my cost increased by 25k, I think I also run the risk of the introductory pricing being increased. Is their any grapevine about such increase?

Also, I wrote a nice email to Zac on the withdrawal of exchange offer post booking. He responded with a standard email saying someone from his team will contact. I know that the final pricing and offers are applicable as on the date of purchase, I am just trying my luck. Will update you guys when I hear from them.

On a separate note, I am finding it difficult to wait for the Rider and itching towards getting the Ambition/Onyx variant, which are readily available and with some discounts too (I haven’t checked for the exact number). In that context, can you guys please share any insights on whether I should consider it? If yes, would be grateful if some of the good folks here can share any quotations/discounts offered for the Ambition/Onyx variants. I saw some posts on Bangalore prices, but those do not indicate the quantum of discounts offered.

PS: I should mention that I was initially looking for a premium hatch or a compact sedan and the VFM aspect of the Rider variant was one of the key reasons for going ahead with Rapid in the first place and now I maybe am just being too excited to get my hands on the car. 😉

Quote:
I visited the Delhi dealership a few days back so I can provide you some information for the above.

I have mentioned in my test drive experience (scroll up), that Skoda is offering decent discounts on the Ambition variant, whereas the Rider has at least 1 month of waiting.
The exchange bonus is available on the Ambition, and with that + the new discount, the different comes down from ~2.75L to < 2L with some scope for further negotiation.

I happen to check it out today and had a very similar experience at the dealer.

The SA was not pushy at all. She did mention the waiting to be around 1 month as also the limited colors for Rider i.e. White & Silver. ( Found this strange as there are numerous videos on You tube with the Rider in Carbon Steel).

I have sent a PM requesting for few details on offers for Ambition / Onyx.

@Vishal :- I tried sending you a PM but couldn't as it is still not enabled for you.
Gran_Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 19:14   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Tourer View Post
@Vishal :- I tried sending you a PM but couldn't as it is still not enabled for you.
Seems like I am gonna be on probation for sometime. :P

Ambition vs Onyx

I did some more research and calls after my last post regarding Ambition, and based on my research I have come at a conclusion that the Onyx is a much better buy, if the Road Tax slabs are favourable in your state.

The ex-Showroom Price of Ambition is Rs. 9.99 lakh, while the Onyx retails at Rs. 10.19 lakh. On first glance, the difference looks marginal, especially considering the fact that you get the following features in addition to the Ambition variant:

1. Much better looking R16 black clubber alloys in the Onyx over the dull looking R15 silver alloys in Ambition
2. A sporty looking flat bottom steering wheel
3. Black leatherite seat covers

The Road Tax Factor

For just 20k extra, this looks like a steal deal. However, things get complicated if the Road Tax slabs in your state change at Rs. 10 lakhs and you end up paying more road tax (like in Delhi and UP, where the difference in Road Tax between Ambition and Onyx is a whopping Rs. 22k). That being said, if Road Tax slab do not change at Rs. 10 lakh, like in Haryana where the slab changes at Rs. 20 lakh, Onyx makes for a much more attractive proposition (unless of course if you are sold on the Carbon Steel colour which is unavailable for this variant).

Discounts and Waiting Time?

I fortunately have a Gurgaon address as well, so I enquired with the dealership about the discounts on the Onyx variant. Turns out, they are offering a hefty discount on the Onyx and Ambition variant and the availability is also immediate.

In my preliminary discussions, I have been offered a discount of Rs. 1.05 lakh (including exchange bonus of Rs. 25 K). In addition to the above, I am also saving close to Rs. 10k by getting my own insurance. Road Tax, obviously, I am paying on actuals, as opposed to what is quoted in the price list.

This brings down the price difference between Rider (which I have already booked) and Onyx to approximately Rs. 1.65 lakh. Which has made it a very difficult decision to make. So far, I was very surefooted about my decision to go for Rider. Now I have my doubts! To complicate things further, I was already confused between Carbon Steel and Candy White (and Onyx does not come in Carbon Steel).

Assuming I am able to bring down the difference to Rs. 1.5 lakh, does it make sense to go for the Onyx version instead?
Any objective inputs will be helpful.
vishal_b is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks