• TPMS (May come soon in Kushaq)
  • Powered driver seat
  • AI assistant
  • All wheel disc brakes
  • Steering Modes
  • Heated ORVMs
  • 360 Camera
  • Electric Parking Brake

The Skoda might be the better one to drive, but they really have lost out on the features game against the Koreans, and now especially against the MG.
Adding one more.
  • Adaptive cruise control
This is one of the most practical additions. Wait till you start using it on highways. Those long miles on the road will be lot easier to munch.
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 15:24   #422
BHPian

Re: MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled

It ticks a lot of boxes except may be a diesel option. The side profile reminds me of a Ford Kuga. Wish Ford had stayed and launched Kuga. Until then, this seems like a good competitor to the Skoda. The ADAS, SW modes look promising and are first in the segment. I hope the build quality is good.
Old 16th September 2021, 15:26   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The personal AI assistant

Attachment 2207896
Thanks for sharing, Venkatesh.

The Astor is a pretty well rounded car that will easily do 3-4k units a month.

But, holy smokes that AI assistant thing is weird and out of place in 2021. I hope it is optional / can be taken out. Imagine those sets of eyes starting at you while driving on a dimly lit road. Will creep me out for sure.
andafunda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 16:05   #424
BHPian

The Adaptive cruise control might be a good feature to be used in India on long stretches of highways. Tag a well driven car and you might be set for some time.

The interiors look really rich . The pricing would be interesting.
callmeneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 16:41   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The boot space on the MG Zs Ev is 470L and on the Astor it should be identical (as it is essentially the same car) with an ICE engine.
For a better idea of the boot and seating space you can check this video of the ZS EV for reference.
https://Youtu.be/tuIiX4bhSjM
Thanks Behemoth, I would be happy for anything above 430 liters, however different reviews are sharing different views on Astor's boot space:

Jump to 4:56, he says boot space is 359 liters

Jump to 2:20, she says boot space is 488 liters
Old 16th September 2021, 16:51   #426
BHPian

Looks like MG have brought a good product, atleast on the paper. We know it's a hand-me-down platform shared with other brands [Mazda] and the fact this car's interior looks so similar to other chinese products. Keeping aside such prejudices, the kind of package MD is planning to bring only looks positive for them as well as indian car buyers.

Recently all manufacturers are wooing customers by fancy features such as sunroofs and AI assistant, which is a good thing. But are we indians such shallow car buyers that we won't mind the ride quality, reliability, long term ownership, efficiency, cost of the parts or driving dynamics and give into such trickery???

Recent surge in sales of the korean cars in the market only goes to show that even though we have honest to god car manufacturers like Mahindra and Tata giving us block buster products we tend to see elsewhere?!! i am not making a point related to patriotism here, but sadly the focus of car buyers has moved away from fundamentals of driving pleasure or anything related to driving or owning a car to just showing off and that to me, seems a bit shallow.
raghu.bramha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 17:35   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer View Post
I would be happy for anything above 430 liters, however different reviews are sharing different views on Astor's boot space:

https://Youtu.be/zKyWw5axO9c
Jump to 4:56, he says boot space is 359 liters

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=vZBpyWhdDbk
Jump to 2:20, she says boot space is 488 liters
There is a difference in the way Australia measures boot-space compared to the UK.

ZST Australia:
Name:  AstorAustraliabootspace.png
Views: 353
Size:  23.2 KB

Australia ZST brochure:
https://resource.digitaldealer.com.a...8292993071.pdf

ZS UK:
Name:  AstorUKbootspace.png
Views: 281
Size:  35.6 KB

https://mg.co.uk/new-mg-zs/

Difference in bootspace:
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...erence-108672/

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 16th September 2021 at 17:37.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 17:51   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.bramha View Post
Recent surge in sales of the korean cars in the market only goes to show that even though we have honest to god car manufacturers like Mahindra and Tata giving us block buster products we tend to see elsewhere?!! i am not making a point related to patriotism here, but sadly the focus of car buyers has moved away from fundamentals of driving pleasure or anything related to driving or owning a car to just showing off and that to me, seems a bit shallow.

Like many other car buyers, who are in market for 1st car or for an upgrade from hatchback, I have a clear cut criteria to filter out suitable car, irrespective of whether manufacturer is Chinese, European, Indian or others:

1) Safety - Yes, many Indians have started asking for it (Thanks to Tata and Mahindra for pushing Safety USP and creating awareness)

2) Features - With increasing competition from MG and Kia, in last 2-3 years we have seen boatload of features coming up in new cars. This is good for us!

3) VFM - With increasing competition, VFM proposition as used by Tata and MG, is the real volume puller

4) ASS - All MG Hector and ZS users share positive feedback on MG service cost and experience. Unlike Korean service centres', which have stooped to looting its customers since COVID hit us (I had a bad experience recently with my i20 service; story for some other time). MG offers 7 years warranty in Australia. That gives you good peace of mind.

5) Driving dynamics - Unlike 5 years back when most manufacturers used to give zero feedback steering, today most of the cars give decent driving dynamics. Talking about Astor, Australian reviews are generally favourable (not crisp like a VAG but decent enough to make it a complete package)

Any manufacturer which is catering to above points in today's highly competitive market will own the Indian PV market share in next 5 years. MG seems to be one of them! I may go for XUV700 or Astor after TD of both! After royally getting disappointed by VAG siblings, both M&M and MG have given complete packages!!
manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 18:37   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Must say, it’s a compelling package and MG has loaded the car to the gills. Going by what I am hearing, the buzz is that the car might be priced lower than Hyundai Creta and might start at 9 lakhs and topping around 14 lakhs.

Also, the brochure of Astor for the considerations of members and the public at large here

MG Astor_Brochure.pdf
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 18:40   #430
AZT
BHPian

Diwali month sales figures should be interesting. The XUV and Astor should definitely eat up some market share but who will be the biggest loser.
Old 16th September 2021, 20:28   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Glimpse of MG Astor
Attachment 2207895
Am I the only one curious about the perforated leather seats? With heated seats as an option in foreign models, we can't rule out ventilated seats yet.
shibulijack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 20:48   #432
BHPian

I like the car, features on offer and everything else. My only qualm being these badges everywhere! Why MG why?

What's this facination with so many badges? Surely some one at MG design team must think they look gaudy!

If I get this car, getting rid of most of it would be the first on my list. ,<Eod of my rant!>

But a very capable car otherwise.
Old 16th September 2021, 21:43   #433
BHPian

The car does not have ventilated seats, it would have been called out in the brochure. Plus the dealer personnel who has completed his training, confirmed that there are no ventilated seats.
hbkamit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 22:27   #434
Senior - BHPian

Very impressed to see 3-point seatbelts for the 5th passenger and being highlighted! I am really loving this trend (with VAG twins before MG) and hope this catches on. Few things more annoying during a new car launch than the sight of a folded lap belt on the rear bench!
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 22:56   #435
BHPian

Walkaround videos will be out on 19th Sep as per this post on Instagram.
Attached Thumbnails
MG considering petrol ZS for India. Edit: MG Astor unveiled-screenshot_20210916225500_instagram.jpg  

manpreetsj is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks