Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2020, 10:44   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Figo and Aspire 1.5L Petrol AT discontinued

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Brilliant car let down by lack of marketing, without Team bhp even I wouldn't have known about it.
The AT was not even present for the Figo facelift media drive. So even our review had to skip covering this -

Quote:
• We didn't get to drive the 1.5L Automatic as it wasn't part of the fleet. Here's our review of the same engine & gearbox in the EcoSport. Ford doesn't seem too interested in selling this variant as it is not available for test drives at almost any dealership throughout the country based on BHPians' feedback.
A missed opportunity for Ford IMHO - as the 1.5 Dragon petrol and 6 speed TC gearbox gave it an unparalleled advantage over the competition, that Ford wasn't keen to take advantage of!

Personally, I always had a feeling that Ford had very low margins for the AT version - the price difference with the manual was less than I had thought it would be, considering the 1.5 petrol and the higher tax bracket that comes with it, and a 6 speed TC box where some competition uses four-speed TC boxes and even AMT options.

The only reason I can see why Ford was so reluctant in selling the AT option.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 11:40   #17
BHPian

I have a feeling this has got to do with streamling the JV with Mahindra.
Highly likely that the Ford will return with an AMT a la XUV 300 type
Old 15th January 2020, 11:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
I have a feeling this has got to do with streamling the JV with Mahindra.
Highly likely that the Ford will return with an AMT a la XUV 300 type
If they do then it would mean Ford went back on their CEO's statement. I think I remember the current guy explaining to a journalist that Ford wouldn't bring AMT cars to its markets since it goes against a fun to drive image they have.
Old 15th January 2020, 12:30   #19
BHPian

BS-6 implementation could also be one of the big reasons for this. Correct me if I am wrong but as per my knowledge, Ford is going to phase out 1.5L Petrol engine in Ecosport as well and source them from Mahindra. So I think in the future we can expect Ecosport also to come with AMTs.

Also, there aren't any takers of current automatics as it is really expensive. Bringing in 1.2L Petrol automatics would make much more sense for Ford. Although there are very slim chances of that happening, with the current developments I think Figo/Aspire will also get discontinued in the coming years.
Old 16th January 2020, 09:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Cost increase with BS6 implementation might have been the reason to drop the AT variants, but if VW could see the BS4 Polo at around 11L, it should be easier for Ford to sell this variant with good marketing.

Hope Ford changes their decision and let us enjoy good gearboxes.
Old 16th January 2020, 10:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisshith View Post
BS-6 implementation could also be one of the big reasons for this. Correct me if I am wrong but as per my knowledge, Ford is going to phase out 1.5L Petrol engine in Ecosport as well and source them from Mahindra ...
Nope, the 1.5 Dragon will continue and only the Ecoboost is being replaced by the Mahindra 1.2TGDI.

I hope they have managed to pair the automatic with the 1.2 Dragon which will allow them to price the automatics so much better and will suit the purpose of city driving.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 16th January 2020 at 10:50.
Old 16th January 2020, 11:18   #22
BHPian

Forget all the negative dealer experiences. forget the negative ownership experiences. What it boils down to is that the Figo and Aspire are unimpressive. I seriously considered the Figo when I was shopping for a hatchback and what struck me is that there is that stands out. Nothing bad about either. It's just forgettable. So much so that I didn't even bother test driving it. The diesel was known to be good to drive but far outside my budget.

The Polo, despite its shortcomings, still has many things that stand out and make the car feel special. This can be the only explanation why the Polo and the Rapid (based on the Polo) are still doing well after so many years.
Motard_Blr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 13:07   #23
BHPian

I think Ford was never serious with the Figo and Aspire Automatic variants, tried booking the Figo AT, but the showroom response and the unrealistic waiting periods, made me look elsewhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks