Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2019, 16:00   #31
BHPian

Re: The Maruti WagonR's 20th Birthday

Will i be right if i term the WagonR as the "modern era's M-800?"

After all M800 in its entire production run sold around 3 million copies i guess?
Old 22nd December 2019, 16:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

Having owned one for nearly 18 years from 2001, I have very fond memories of my Lxi model. The F10 engine had great low end torque that was of immense help in city driving. It also had a flat torque that helped my wife lumber on in the 4th gear when she forgot to downshift. It had great luggage space, and even more with the split seats folded. The AC was good and ingress perfect for old people. I once carried a patient home after surgery by reclining the seats and making it a bed!

What more could one ask for in the segment back then? The car never let me down, and was boringly reliable. I had to let go of it a few months ago only because I did not have space to park 4 cars. My wife is still upset with me for letting it go. She does not like driving the old-gen Figo tdci as much as she did the WagonR. But for the parking constraint, I'd have held on to eternity. My son's friend, who now owns it is very happy with it.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 16:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_lover View Post
Will i be right if i term the WagonR as the "modern era's M-800?"
I would say no.
The M800 was essentially the individuals car.
The Wagon R the families car.

Have owned both. Simultaneously.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 00:09   #34
BHPian

I have been planning to buy the 1.2 ZXI AGS but the car audio music system has put me in two minds. Such a good product but not sure why Maruti has put average sounding audio system. (My individual opinion, but others may like the sound quality)
Old 31st December 2019, 17:00   #35
BHPian

I want to share my part too.
Had a 2014 Wagon R Stingray VXi in glistening grey colour till 2018 end.
When I was in the look out for a new car, I was just randomly visiting showrooms with a budget of 5L on road. First TD was of Honda Brio. She was very good to drive with the free revving engine but the looks were not to my taste. Then I saw the then recently launched Stingray at the Maruti showroom and got smittened. She was somehow different from the other Waggies and those handsome grey alloys complemented the car very well. The projectors attracted me too. I didn't took any TD as I had driven my friend's Wagon R VXi frequently. But, she was not available in the grey colour in my district or in any of the showrooms in nearby couple of districts. Had to wait for another month to get one from the nearest district but VXi(O), which came with airbags and ABS had a waiting period of 3months after confirmed booking. Was losing patience as all of you know the anxiety while waiting for a new car to arrive.
Completed almost 60k kms in the 4yrs I had her without much problems. One faulty suspension was changed under warranty and the other things replaced were one wheel bearing and break pads. Experimented with LEDs and HIDs in the projectors, changed cabin lamps, registration plate lamps to LEDs, installed IPHCar projectors with HIDs, all by myself. It was quite a learning curve(no matter how small).
Still miss her.
The Maruti WagonR's 20th Birthday-pra_1375.jpg
Prakritij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 18:32   #36
BHPian

My 2008 WagonR, Still Own & Love it !
Attached Thumbnails
The Maruti WagonR's 20th Birthday-521263_4339904897299_1425638974_n.jpg  

SAHIR.KITTUR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 19:38   #37
BHPian

Wagon-R, a boxy tall boy was developed for Japanese market where geographical space is always at premium. So govt imposes higher road tax, parking fee for larger footprint cars. Hence the concept of boxy tall boys - it give maximum interior space for minimum footprint. Also, tall roof aids in easy ingress/egress.

In boxy tallboys, aesthetics of the car takes a beating, also reduce high speed stability due to higher drag co-efficient. I'm not getting into center of gravity and safety aspects (it can be a dedicated thread).

But strange as it may seem, India never had any regulation (Thank God for that) based on the foot print of the car - it only has regulation on length of car <4 meter or >4 meter. Still, Wagon-R became one of the biggest hits in Indian markets.

I'm a design fanatic and personally would never approve a refrigerator on wheels, but most Aam Junta look at its reliability, brand name of its manufacturer, fuel efficiency, resale value and buy it in troves. Also, there were severe lack of options in early 2000s. Road was not easy, it went through 10-15 facelifts, 2 platform changes, engine upgrades etc.

But why is it selling well even now? Because it has reached its critical mass long back and now people buying Wagon-R don't analyze much - If it is Wagon-R, don't worry. Buy it. - that's the power of a brand. "Wagon-R" brand sells itself. Wagon-R is the Chetak of cars. Second reason is - Hyundai dropped Santro Xing to take a chance with i10 and Eon. Customers got confused, i10 was priced almost at Swift prices. Eon was not the tallboy. So all Santro Xing buyers got diverted to Wagon-R booking counter. This was Hyundai's biggest mistake in Indian market. Maruti Suzuki capitalized this opportunity and made Wagon-R a sales champion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks