Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2019, 12:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW X1 facelift could get 3-cylinder 1.5L petrol engine in base trim

According to a media report, the BMW X1 facelift could be offered with a 1.5-litre petrol engine in the entry-level variant in India.

BMW X1 facelift could get 3-cylinder 1.5L petrol engine in base trim-bmw-x1-facelift.jpg

The 1.5-litre engine is available in the X1 sold in other countries. The 3-cylinder, direct-injection, turbocharged petrol unit produces 138 BHP. It could be offered in a slightly lower state of tune in India.

At present, the BMW X1 comes with two engine options. The first one is a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol unit that makes 189 BHP and 280 Nm of torque. It is paired with a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. The second engine is a 2.0-litre diesel unit that makes 188 BHP and 400 Nm of torque. This is engine is offered with an 8-speed automatic transmission.

The BMW X1 facelift is expected to be launched in India around mid-2020.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th December 2019, 22:27   #2
BHPian

re: BMW X1 facelift could get 3-cylinder 1.5L petrol engine in base trim

A 1.5L 3 cylinder engine would be completely out of place in a luxury car like the X1!
Is BMW going the AUDI way?
Nazaar25 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 05:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

3 possibilities behind this move:
1. More disposable income among the masses and potential for volumes (hope the base variant is well loaded in that case)
2. BMW wants to have that elusive model to bring down the entry price
3. BMW is plain stupid
landcruiser123 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 07:35   #4
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2019 at 08:00.
TDCi'd is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th December 2019, 08:06   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW X1 facelift could get 3-cylinder 1.5L petrol engine in base trim

First the weird grilles, and now this.

What a sad decision. These cars are anyway overpriced in India and blatant compromises like a 3-cylinder engine are too hard to digest. BMW India should realise its in the "luxury" business. It's like the Taj Hotel switching off its air-conditioning, or serving you dinner in paper plates . Time & again, it has been proven that even 10-lakh rupee customers no longer accept compromises, so it's silly to assume that 35-lakh ones will.

The regular Joe might not have much of a clue about engine specs, but they do care about engine size. BMW might face a marketing & perception problem too.
GTO is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 08:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a recent statement in the media also from MSIL regarding Indian customer's preference for a higher displacement engine rather than a smaller one with a turbo charger. And going by the pricing strategy, the price difference is not going to be huge for this trim regardless.

I guess they are just trying to gauge the response to petrol motors as diesel is slowly being pushed out of the market.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 09:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this the 18i? If so it is not so bad. I drove a BMW X2 18i across Spain this summer - from Madrid to Guadaloupe, Sevilla, Granada and Malaga. It was a mix of driving on motorways and hill roads. And the speeds were higher than anything we would do in India (albeit not the autobahn speeds I did in Germany). I actually found the car good to drive - and never felt the lack of power in getting from 0 to 60 or 30 to 120. If this is the same engine they plan to use here, I don't think anyone other than boy racers will have a reason to crib. Whether it overcomes the mental barriers folks have about 3 cylinder engines is a completely different question.
Hayek is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 09:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice. Keep making cars 3 cylinder across the price spectrum. That is the one big push that will send die hard petrol heads finally to like EVs.

The curtains are being readied for ICEs.
Reinhard is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 19:41   #9
BHPian

Well I drove this in April this year, in Pakistan of all places, and on their silky smooth motorways from Lahore to islamabad, dare I say better than autobahns, both in quality and driving manners, this seemed more than an adequate as a cruiser. However going by the sales of the 1.4 A4, I seriously believe the Indian customer does care of displacement and this’ll take a hard time selling, though if they price it well, they might just have a winner.
Remember the first time the E90 320d corporate edition was launched? After the 325i and 320d, many didn’t give a chance to CE’s initially but it showed if the price is correct then people do overlook features and comfort creatures not so sure about the engine displacement though
Cheers

Last edited by np23 : 13th December 2019 at 19:43.
np23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 21:09   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to see BMW moving away from their 'ultimate driving machine' tagline. The brand was once the go to brand for young, affluent, driving pleasure seekers. Starting from the F generation of cars, BMW has tried to go mainstream, which undeniably makes good business sense since they can appeal to a wider audience, but has ended up creating an identity crisis for itself.

Almost all the German marques have small entry level engine options for their cars in the EU and singling out BMW may be a bit unfair though. Small engined big cars are somewhat like our sub 4 meter sedans in the EU. They are all after the tax breaks for lower CO2 emissions!
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2019, 23:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

I see cubic capacities & power going south but the prices are always going north. I'll take a bet that this 1.5 L petrol engined BMW X1 will cost close to ₹ 40L all for the badge and packaging.
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 02:40   #12
BHPian

I think by all means BMW must be thinking why criticize only Volkswagen, I'm here for that too. This decision is absolutely foolish. Assuming it to be priced nothing south of 35 lakhs at minimum, I'm wondering who would even consider buying it. Even though BMW stuns everyone and price it super aggressively, it will still be costly and utterly unworthy.
Old 19th December 2019, 11:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
BMW X1 will cost close to ₹ 40L all for the badge and packaging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyBoy View Post
Assuming it to be priced nothing south of 35 lakhs at minimum,.
I bought my X1 expedition for 34.9 all inclusive OTR, and I think there are further discounts now. I dont think they can get by pricing this higher. Maybe they are looking to target the segment between 20-30 lacs where there are no real options other than Jeep Compass

Or maybe they plan to increase prices for the 2 litre and have this where the expedition is now

Last edited by bottle : 19th December 2019 at 11:18.
Old 19th December 2019, 12:57   #14
BHPian

I'd rather go for the Tiguan (if I had the money!). Although the xDrive is technically better than VW's Haldex in terms of splitting the torque.

Hope VW offer their 1.5 TSi engine in the Tiguan next year (which they're already offering in other markets).

Here's a quote from WhatCar about the Tiguan:
Quote:
The Tiguan is a strong competitor in the family SUV class with great handling and a long equipment list. Other premium rivals like the BMW X1 are just slightly better finished, though.
Old 19th December 2019, 13:20   #15
BHPian

The sole reason for offering this smaller engine is price.
BMW wants to get its price down to make the brand more accessible. So the chance of the 1.5 litre engined car being well loaded and having xDrive is negligible.
It will probably be a stripped down version so that BMW can throw adverts like - "The X1 now starts at Rs. 2x.xx lakhs!"

You will then walk into the showroom and realise that this is not the car you want because it sucks and the Tiguan and Kodiaq are better VFM.

BMW will hope then that you will pick the higher variants and not walk out of the showroom with a lesser regard for the brand.

Dumb move in my opinion. I would walk out and go to Merc or Jaguar or Volvo if I wanted brand value.
veedub89 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks