Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is YOUR car of 2019?
Maruti S-Presso 14 0.51%
Maruti WagonR 16 0.58%
Renault Triber 231 8.40%
Hyundai Grand i10 Nios 13 0.47%
Hyundai Venue 81 2.94%
Mahindra XUV300 73 2.65%
Nissan Kicks 8 0.29%
Kia Seltos 1499 54.49%
MG Hector 115 4.18%
Tata Harrier 431 15.67%
Honda Civic 57 2.07%
Hyundai Kona 130 4.73%
Toyota Camry 22 0.80%
BMW 3-Series 57 2.07%
Audi A6 4 0.15%
Voters: 2751. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2019, 14:08   #211
BHPian

re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!

Contrary to the popular opinion I have voted for the MG Hector. With Hyundai backing and mentoring Kia in India and the fact that Creta was so successful, it was relatively easier for Seltos to make the jump. For MG Hector as a brand and as a segment with relatively lower volumes and the Chinese perception it is remarkable to an extent what Hector has achieved. Seltos is a great product but Hector with its infinite amount of features makes it to my team-bhp car of the year.
Mr.Beat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 14:39   #212
BHPian

I voted for the Seltos. I infact was in the market for a car within the same price bracket and checked out the Seltos. Didn't go ahead with it because of the waiting period. During my test drive it had become very clear to me that this was a car that rode into the Indian mindset with all the right noises at the right time. There was a demand for a fresh competition between the ecosport and creta size Pseudo SUVs. The Seltos drove right there with it's dimensions and styling. Impressive to see Kia got it right while brands that have been here long before hesitating to introduce similar products they have in the same section.
Old 8th December 2019, 14:43   #213
BHPian

Voted for the very under rated Renault Triber. Yes, it may not come with fancy features or strong performance, but it excels where it has to i.e Practicality. I see no other car in this price bracket, which can seat 7 comfortably. It's decently kitted with acceptable levels of build quality.
RD150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 14:46   #214
BHPian

Voted for the Harrier. It's a typical mind vs heart situation. Mind says Kia for all the features and ease of driving.
But always liked the Harrier simply for its looks, presence and the ride height that it offers. Feels more like an SUV than Kia which drives like any other car.
Old 8th December 2019, 15:10   #215
BHPian

The Seltos is the car which arrived in India, steamrolled over its much fancied competitors and single handedly catapulted KIA as 4th largest manufacturer over a period of 4 months. There cannot be a more perfect launch in these challenging times and Seltos ticked the maximum boxes of an aspirational car for Indian customers. KIA is the manufacturer to watch out for everytime they will launch a model in India.
Old 8th December 2019, 17:36   #216
BHPian

Kia Seltos hands down! A fantastic product with a little of everything for everyone!
They came, they saw, they strategized and they conquered! The product line up is really good and can't wait for the Optima and the Venue equivalent.
Times look exciting indeed!
Old 8th December 2019, 17:42   #217
BHPian

My vote goes for the Kia Seltos. No surprises here, as I can see from the forum results & comments. My reason is a very simple one - the sheer number of trims & options has made it possible for Kia to straddle the complete range of INR 11-21 L. This is a bit bold & unusual & hats-off to Kia for pulling it off in a dull market. Clearly, they have planned & executed their first launch very well!
Old 8th December 2019, 17:55   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Thought about this for a while. The only car launched this year that I have travelled in is the Toyota Camry. It's a fantastic car, but something that sells under 800 units a year in a 2.5 million unit market cannot be car of the year.

So I had to base my call largely on looks, reviews, and yes, sales. And on that basis, the clear winner is the Kia Seltos. The only cars that come close are the Hyundai Venue and the MG Hector. But none of these look as good as the Seltos or come equipped with the wide range of variants or have sold as much relative to others in their price segment.

I would have appreciated reading the Team BHP review before I voted. But I don't want to wait till late December, and so vote for the Kia Seltos.

Wanted to add that it's fantastic what Hyundai and Kia have done here. Because, the one worthy contender I didn't cite up there is the Hyundai Kona, the first real EV in India. 3 out of 4 COTY contenders - that is amazing,

Last edited by Hayek : 8th December 2019 at 18:02.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 18:48   #219
BHPian

Mind said "Seltos", but heart pointed towards "Harrier" as I want Tata to recover and get respected. Harrier is a good attempt in that direction with lots of honesty.

I would as well select Kona, if given an option, just for Hyundai, its respect for Indian customers and not hesitating to launch cutting edge products. I have been observing them, starting from the gem Accent CRDI, i20 with 6 airbags and many other segment firsts until Kona.

By the way, I have to rate Toyota in the other extreme in this aspect alone, for giving outdated products and technologies and then ending up borrowing finished products from Suzuki!

Kudos Hyundai! I wish there is a Vote for Manufacturer of the Year and I will give it to Hyundai.

Last edited by sgmuser : 8th December 2019 at 19:01. Reason: Some points.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 19:00   #220
Senior - BHPian

I thought it was an easy decision and voted for this year's BestSeller - the Seltos.

The key things to appreciate in this offering:
1. Gadgets & Connected Car Features
2. Automatic variants available across all power trains and in top variants
3. Price band spread across which the product is available

At the same time I am also disappointed with the fact that there is no true competition yet from Honda & Maruti Suzuki in this space. After reading some of the thoughts shared by other BHPians I tend to agree that Kia has just brought the 2020 Creta Ahead of time and kind of re-established the same vehicle more or less since both vehicles would be 80% same once the 2020 Creta releases.

Given this aspect, the Hector and Triber have their due merit as the REAL new vehicles to enter the market. The Hector given the negative reviews for it Petrol DCT in terms of both having a lag as well as poor fuel efficiency needs to bring in the Diesel AT soon.

As for the Harrier -sorry I am no Tata fan-boy and given how the Team-BHP rated it - it looks like Tata is back to square one and released a good looking Beta product.
Old 8th December 2019, 19:00   #221
BHPian

I voted for Kia Seltos, and I must say what a grand entry the company got in India ('badas#' word in the tagline was a gamble though or maybe not), sale figures tell it all, 14000+units sold in November 2019, that's huge for a new company with just one car to offer in the market.

One of my neighbors has got his Seltos GT same colour as below recently, and it looks very upmarket and premium in person.

It will be interesting to see how their upcoming compact SUV QYI will affect the sales of established rivals.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2019. EDIT: It's the Kia Seltos!-screenshot_20191208180618.jpg  

Old 8th December 2019, 19:31   #222
HrB
BHPian

Triber it is for me. I voted for this car just for the uniqueness it brings to the market. It is affordable and absolutely desirable.

Last edited by Eddy : 8th December 2019 at 19:41. Reason: Corrected formatting
HrB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 19:35   #223
BHPian

Voted for Tata Harrier. Stunning looks, solid built, better offroading capability than its rivals and reliable Fiat 2.0 MJD. Overall a better package than it's closest rival MG Hector. What it lacks is the bling Hector offers and inconsistent after sales service.
Old 8th December 2019, 20:17   #224
BHPian

Voted for Kia Seltos. It had ticked all my needs like decent looks, good build, LED headlamps, DRL, min 2 airbags, ABS, somewhat proven engines and automatic transmission, cosy interiors and all seats having adjustable headrests, foldable rear seats, hatch back form, reasonable ground clearance and manageable NVH. So booked on that pre booking open date. Despite totally unorganised dealership experience, took delivery and have covered 3300km in about 5 weeks. Happy with it.
Old 8th December 2019, 20:29   #225
BHPian

Seltos for me.

It is just such an irresistible package with futuristic features, good engine options, variants across the price bracket and BS6 ready as well. I think the sales numbers speak for themselves when all other car models are struggling.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks