Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2020, 12:46   #391
BHPian

Re: The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh

It is a Titanic SUV! .

I feel sad to see manufacturers missing out crucial things like adequate under thigh support. All these cars are supposed to be highway cruisers with men, women, kids and baggage hauled up. Having all the features in the world will not compensate for the 100% comfort factor, if missing.

The first time I ever experienced the Innova was in a 2007 model. People of all ages could sit anywhere in it (even in the third row) for over a 1000 kms without complaining.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:13   #392
BHPian

The best part about this car is that the lowest variant has all the safety kit required. I think MG is the first company to have done that. Sure it does not have lane departure warning or collision warning but it has all the safety features top end models of ford and toyota have.

At 29 lakhs the lowest variant might be a good buy. If i were to buy this I would buy that variant because it has all the safety kit necessary and also because it does not have a sun roofs and has black fabric seats. I don't like sunroof and those leather seats that heat up like crazy.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 14:34   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Kerb weight for Gloster 4x4 is 2370kg/4x2 is 2170kg and fortuner is 2140Kg with 177PS/450Nm engine. Endeavour is the one with least power to weight and Torque to weight ratio for a 4x4 vehicle.
Kindly post the source of your GLOSTER weight data , I'm finding only 2518 KG in the internet , missing something?

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 9th October 2020 at 14:37.
Old 9th October 2020, 14:54   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Kindly post the source of your GLOSTER weight data , I'm finding only 2518 KG in the internet , missing something?
https://www.ldvautomotive.com.au/veh...pecifications/
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 15:25   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
It's been several days and I still can't shake off the feeling that the interiors have been heavily inspired by BMW. No idea about quality, but the design is so uncannily similar that if you replace the badges with BMW ones, nobody would bat an eyelid.

Anyone else feel the same?
Sorry for quoting myself, but turns out I wasn't the only one. Kartikeya Singhee from Zigwheels outright says it in his review too. And there are two kinds of people in this world - those who will be delighted at the resemblance with BMW and buy it as a cut-price option, and others who will be disgusted by the blatant copying. Looks like the target segment is clearly the former category of folks.

"The design for the dashboard which has lots of soft touch material is quite handsome in fact if you look at the aircon vents and the physical controls for the air con system and the gear lever the selector for the drive modes and the armrest there's a bit of a BMW vibe, isn't there?"

All the British branding in the world is not going to change the public perception of their products until they focus on providing well engineered products, rather than Chinese clones of more established products.

Last edited by d3mon : 9th October 2020 at 15:28.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 15:28   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

The attention to detail in the MG Gloster configurator is incredible! I found the same front fender mirror accessory on the Gloster which has the exact same shape as the first-gen Fortuner's, but in the Gloster it is attached on the bonnet so every time you lift the bonnet extra caution has to be given for the mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-screenshot-20201009-152508.png  

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-screenshot-20201009-152437.png  

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 9th October 2020 at 15:30.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 16:18   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWY227 View Post
I want the Gloster to become a considerable success. Toyota has taken advantage of it's reliability quotient and Ford doesn't seem to bring in the Bi-Turbo. They should realise that when the customer is paying you 40-43L , they deserve a powerful engine and a luxurious interior with considerable amount of features. When I think about our family getting a Fortuner, the many compromises stand out. Really hope the Gloster impacts the segment in a good way.
The Gloster will shake the segment in a good way I believe. Toyota is basically a two trick pony with one one muv/taxi and the other a bare-boned pickup conversion, both horribly overpriced and underspecced. I for one would be very glad incase Toyota folds up in India. Regarding Ford, the Gloster may force them to bring in the twin turbo engine just to stay relevant.
AirbusCapt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 16:19   #398
BHPian

Amazing pricing. They can dent the numbers of the big boys in this segment.
I don't if the customers actually like the badging or don't care much about the badging (in the grander scheme of things) but personally if I would buy one of these, I'd ask for a debadged version or atleast remove the Brit dynamic (trying too hard?), Internet inside badge, the massive GLOSTER (if parked in an apartment or parked on the road can be stolen or just a few letters if you want some humor).
Probably only leave the 4wd and ADAS badge. Otherwise looks and feels to be a great value proposition.
Old 9th October 2020, 16:21   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
The best part about this car is that the lowest variant has all the safety kit required. I think MG is the first company to have done that.
That's something which MG has ensured in all its cars. The Hector has all the necessary safety kit even in the cheaper variants. What this does is push the game. And make existing manufacturers take this market more seriously. Win win for consumers.
coolkurt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 17:08   #400
Senior - BHPian

Don't understand the hate for bmwish interiors. I for one would always like a lower segment car to have interior style of higher segments. Fortuner gets an original boring Toyota Interior. I am sure, many would easily pick the gloster's interior even though they know it resembles bmw over the Toyota's interior.

If anything, IMO the Interior looks great and should be praised.

Last edited by 07CR : 9th October 2020 at 17:10.
07CR is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 17:16   #401
BHPian

I would skip buying the top variant, just to have one less badge on the car. It seriously feels like a fish market all over the car. Is it because when you're driving around in one of them, everyone should know the brand, the name, the country of origin and the reason you bought the car just by the looking at the rear end ?
armaan_singh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 17:31   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
I would skip buying the top variant, just to have one less badge on the car. It seriously feels like a fish market all over the car. Is it because when you're driving around in one of them, everyone should know the brand, the name, the country of origin and the reason you bought the car just by the looking at the rear end ?
They could have also added the on road price, downpayment, EMI to inform people around the required financial status to buy this car.

I think the GLOSTER on the rear is the biggest ever name badge imprint in the history of Indian automobiles.
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 17:34   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
The Gloster will shake the segment in a good way I believe. Toyota is basically a two trick pony with one one muv/taxi and the other a bare-boned pickup conversion, both horribly overpriced and underspecced. I for one would be very glad incase Toyota folds up in India. Regarding Ford, the Gloster may force them to bring in the twin turbo engine just to stay relevant.
Could not agree more with you on that one! The full-size SUV segment has seen grim times of late, with Toyota dominating the scene despite offering a very overpriced and compromised SUV - heck, they dropped the full-time 4WD and rear-differential lock in a so-called "terrain-tamer". While the Ford does retain some of these essential off-road aids, and offers much more than the Toyota at almost the same price point, they have not played it fair by NOT getting the twin-turbo version here. Lesser said the better about the other players in the segment - Alturas G4, MU-X, etc. Sincerely hope to see some nice shake-up in this segment with Gloster on the scene.

Last edited by cool_dube : 9th October 2020 at 17:39.
cool_dube is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 17:52   #404
BHPian

I must say, MG has priced the Gloster very competitively. While it’s definitely more show than go, I quite like the looks of the car, except the hideous badging of course. :Frustrat It definitely looks like a premium SUV. While it may not be able to beat the fortuner in sales, it will fetch decent numbers.
Old 9th October 2020, 19:50   #405
BHPian

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-img_20201008_114824.jpg

The first impression when I walked into the showroom was - Woah! This is a huge vehicle. I have a good sense of how big the Fortuner and Endeavour are but this felt like a size plus. So I stacked up the numbers and sized them up.

At 4985mm, the Gloster is just shy off 5m. The LDV D90 (Australian version) crosses 5m at 5005mm, probably because of MG lip job or perhaps because of ARAI measurement principle being different. Any how it's massive and looks the part in flesh.Its the tallest and the longest. The Alturas is the only wider SUV in the segment.

The MG Gloster, now launched at Rs 28.98 lakh-screen-shot-20201009-7.42.23-pm.png

Last edited by vigneshkumar31 : 9th October 2020 at 19:54.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks