Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 12:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Mercedes V-Class Elite launch on November 7, 2019

According to a media report, Mercedes-Benz is likely to launch the V-Class Elite in India on November 7, 2019.

Mercedes-Benz V-Class Elite launched at Rs. 1.1 crore-merc-v-class-elite.jpg

The V-Class Elite is said to be the new top-spec variant of the premium MPV. The report suggests that it is expected to be based on the updated V-Class, which gets revised headlights, grille and bumpers. The interior is expected to be updated with new air-conditioning vents and a larger infotainment system screen.

In India, Mercedes might offer the V-Class Elite as a long wheelbase (5,140 mm) and extra-long wheelbase (5,370 mm) model. The latter is could be offered in a lower trim. The V-Class Elite could get 4 or 7 seat options.

Mercedes-Benz is expected to retain the 2.1-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine. This unit makes 161 BHP @ 3,800 rpm and 380 Nm of torque @ 1,400-2400 rpm and is mated to a 7-speed automatic transmission.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 14:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz V-Class Elite launched at Rs. 1.1 crore

Mercedes-Benz has launched a new top-end variant of the V-Class called the Elite. It is priced at Rs. 1.1 crore (ex-showroom, India).

Mercedes-Benz V-Class Elite launched at Rs. 1.1 crore-vclass1.jpeg

The V-Class Elite is based on the updated V-Class that is available in international markets. It gets a new grille and redesigned bumper as well as revised headlamps with integrated LED daytime running lights.

Mercedes-Benz V-Class Elite launched at Rs. 1.1 crore-vclass3.jpeg

In India, the V-Class Elite comes in long-wheelbase form and in a 6-seat configuration. It gets new air-conditioning vents and a larger touchscreen infotainment head-unit. It gets captain seats with leg rests in the second row. These seats can recline up to 49 degrees and have ventilation and massage functions. Other features include 2-zone automatic climate control, ambient lighting, folding centre table, Burmester audio system, 360-degree camera and an optional panoramic sunroof.

Mercedes-Benz V-Class Elite launched at Rs. 1.1 crore-vclass2.jpeg

The V-Class Elite is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 161 BHP @ 4,200 rpm and 380 Nm @ 1,400-2,400 rpm. The engine is mated to a 9-speed automatic transmission.

Safety features including 6 airbags, ABS with EBD, attention assist and active parking assist are offered as standard.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 14:39   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz V-Class Elite launched at Rs. 1.1 crore

The power & torque figures seem disappointing for the class & pricing. Just a 2.0 inline 4. What are they thinking? who is the target audience I wonder...Maybe for the school runs of foreign embassy staff families! I don't see any other real purpose.

Hexa makes more torque!

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th November 2019 at 14:56.
Reinhard is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 15:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The power & torque figures seem disappointing for the class & pricing. Just a 2.0 inline 4. What are they thinking? who is the target audience I wonder...Maybe for the school runs of foreign embassy staff families! I don't see any other real purpose.

Hexa makes more torque!
You think the people who would buy this, an expensive van, would worry about the performance figures??? Just because it costs INR 1.1Cr doesn't mean that it should have 'the best' engine there is, right? The purpose of this vehicle is completely different and I don't think performance figures really matters there.

And, you are bang on with the target audience!

Last edited by Porschefire : 7th November 2019 at 15:24.
Porschefire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 15:42   #5
BHPian

I know its a sin to compare apples to oranges, but let me compare a red apple to a green one, for the sake of it!

An Innova Crysta 2.8 litre engine makes 171.5bhp@3400rpm and 360Nm@1200-3400rpm, mated to a 6 speed AT. Compare this to a 2.0 litre engine that makes 161bhp@4200rpm and 380Nm@1400-2400rpm, mated to a 9 speed AT. An Innova 2.8Z sells for around 22.5L ex showroom in BLR, while V sells for 1.1Cr. For the quoted price, one can buy ~5 Innova 2.8 Z (excluding, of course, RTO and Insurance charges). The interiors and build might be nice and dandy in a Merc, but its not, definitely not 5 times better. The service centers, service cost and the resale value will more than make up the difference (not that the target Customer cares for this).

One would have to really, I mean really worship a Merc to buy the V Class. For most of us, at least, the V ain't a Z

Last edited by mug:mush : 7th November 2019 at 15:46. Reason: Added remarks about interiors.
mug:mush is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug:mush View Post
I know its a sin to compare apples to oranges, but let me compare a red apple to a green one, for the sake of it!

An Innova Crysta 2.8 litre engine makes 171.5bhp@3400rpm and 360Nm@1200-3400rpm, mated to a 6 speed AT. Compare this to a 2.0 litre engine that makes 161bhp@4200rpm and 380Nm@1400-2400rpm, mated to a 9 speed AT. An Innova 2.8Z sells for around 22.5L ex showroom in BLR, while V sells for 1.1Cr. For the quoted price, one can buy ~5 Innova 2.8 Z (excluding, of course, RTO and Insurance charges). The interiors and build might be nice and dandy in a Merc, but its not, definitely not 5 times better. The service centers, service cost and the resale value will more than make up the difference (not that the target Customer cares for this).

One would have to really, I mean really worship a Merc to buy the V Class. For most of us, at least, the V ain't a Z
If I am the sort of person whose income far exceeds the amount I can spend, save and invest, do I really want me and my family to be seen in an Innova!? Oh, definitely NOT!
No offence but some of the middle class families I know don't buy the Innova just because of the taxi image that it has.

Hence, the V-Class Elite will only appeal to rich politicians, celebrities, high end corporates, businessmen, hoteliers etc. And I can be damn sure that they would two hoots about what engine is it underneath the bonnet. If Mercedes manages to sell a few hundreds in a calendar year, it will be as good as Toyota selling the Innova by the thousands! I feel there is no comparison here, be it apples or oranges or green apples.

Also, going by the theory, no one in their sane mind should buy the A4 with the 1.4TSi and go for the Octavia with the 1.8TSi or the vRS instead while saving a lot of money, right? But the reality is different, brand value matters and beyond a certain value, it becomes the most important thing IMO.

Last edited by Porschefire : 7th November 2019 at 16:46.
Porschefire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 16:48   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This has "hotel" written all over its face. Hoteliers can buy this van under the EPCG scheme at half the price - more details.

More pics:
Mercedes-Benz V-Class Elite launched at Rs. 1.1 crore-mercedesbenz-vclass-elite-launch-picture-02.jpg

Mercedes-Benz V-Class Elite launched at Rs. 1.1 crore-mercedesbenz-vclass-elite-launch-picture-03.jpg
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 19:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

Hexa makes more torque!
Few points,

1. As Porschefire says, this is not a car whose performance you should be worried about. If one is looking for performance, then he has plenty of other options in the same Mercedes showroom.

2. There are many people out there who would want six seats of luxury, something no MPV or full size SUV can offer like how the V offers. How many people dont we know who have gone full on kitting up a Tempo traveller or a mini bus to their liking.

3. It might not have the torque of a Hexa, but with that gem of a 9 speed transmission, the transmission keeps the car in its comfort zone at any speed, even speeds the Hexa can only dream about. How about a near idling engine when the car is cruising at triple digit speeds? All this is possible, while you will be sipping a drink without jerks or splashes. That is exactly what this car is meant to be.

Quote:
. The interiors and build might be nice and dandy in a Merc, but its not, definitely not 5 times better.
Are you speaking by experience? Try out a back seat drive on the V for some distance with all the luxury bells and whistles in action, and you might change your opinion.

Last edited by audioholic : 7th November 2019 at 19:48.
audioholic is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 01:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Are you speaking by experience? Try out a back seat drive on the V for some distance with all the luxury bells and whistles in action, and you might change your opinion.

The question I would ask myself in order to change my opinion is: Is the Innova 2.8 Z 4 times less of a car than the V class?
There is a is a considerable difference between the lower and the Z grades of Innova. Try the captain seat in the Z grade once, to see what I'm saying. Merc will without doubt come with more screens, soft plastics and personal stimulation devices, but does it add up to the sum of the sticker price is my question.
Old 8th November 2019, 02:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The question I would ask myself in order to change my opinion is: Is the Innova 2.8 Z 4 times less of a car than the V class?
There is a is a considerable difference between the lower and the Z grades of Innova. Try the captain seat in the Z grade once, to see what I'm saying. Merc will without doubt come with more screens, soft plastics and personal stimulation devices, but does it add up to the sum of the sticker price is my question.
Although off topic, could you please let me know if there are any mechanical differences (apart from the captain leather seats) between the Z grade and the lower grades of the Innova that would make it significantly more comfortable?
As for the point you are making, I’m still surprised as to why you would compare an Innova with a luxury van! If I can speak in your tone for a moment, one doesn’t really need a Rolls Royce to get from point A to point B, you can do it comfortably in a Nano as well, right? But, does that mean that you start a pointless comparison between the two?

PS: Considering the fact that audioholic test drives Mercedes vehicles to make a living, I would take his words.

@audioholic: Sorry buddy, had to reveal the man behind the mask.

Last edited by Porschefire : 8th November 2019 at 02:58.
Porschefire is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 09:25   #11
BHPian

I don't really see a purpose to launch an 'Elite' variant. What extra does it get you over the regular car? New bumpers and sound system? I don't think it's worth the extra over the Exclusive variant.

Honestly, at the price, I'd rather get a much cheaper E220d and save the bucks for just as much comfort and a better image.
porsche_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 09:52   #12
BHPian

I can't see the point behind engine-related discussions here. I mean, for the target audience, the engine would most probably be of least concern. The people who own these things would never really bother to drive them and will definitely be chauffeur-driven. As long as the motor is refined (not heard much inside the cabin) and has "adequate" grunt to get it moving to sane cruising speeds, which I'm sure it has, I think it would suffice for this class of vehicles.

If anything, the smaller motor would provide better fuel efficiency, which the operators/owners are likely to appreciate.

Last edited by ram.iyer95 : 8th November 2019 at 10:08.
ram.iyer95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 18:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
Although off topic, could you please let me know if there are any mechanical differences (apart from the captain leather seats) between the Z grade and the lower grades of the Innova that would make it significantly more comfortable?
Yes. There are many. Please go through the Team-BHP's review to find out more. My opinion of the V Class stems from the fact that I was driven around in the Netherlands in one (not the Elite version) from the Rotterdam airport to Apeldoorn. The V Class is quite a common van there, along with the Ford Transit Connect.

As I said in the beginning, I am comparing these Two for comparison sake, nothing more, nothing less. I chose Innova since it is the baseline in the segment. If the Kia Carnival or Toyota Vellfire was available here, I would have compared the V Class to that too. Its not like I'm trying to compare Al Pachino and Rober DeNiro. Now, that would be a real sin
mug:mush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 18:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With such a comparison, we can even bring in the Maruti XL6 and say that the Maruti XL6 provides 80% of the utility of the Innova Z at less than 50% the price. It is also pretty comfortable, you get a spacious middle row and decent performance. Yet, the XL6 does stand short of the Innova on many aspects. Similar is the case with the Merc and the Innova. I have had my share of rides in the Innova, as well as the V(from the cheap van version to a kitted version similar to the Elite) so I know what I am speaking about. The Innova captain seat is like a premium Economy seat, while the V has Business class seats if we take a Middle east airline as a benchmark or a First class seat for a lesser luxurious airline. Now, why do people pay four times the money for Business class? The CBU pricing is a different story altogether, but even if that is kept out of the game, and say the price comes to around 70L, people might find it overpriced. However, we cant expect Innova levels of pricing either. That is what I dont agree with. Things like the Toyota Vellfire will retail at 40L range if they are sold in a good kitted configuration. The stripped down configuration will still cost higher than the Innova. The Merc just takes it a few steps higher than the Vellfire for what it offers.

Last edited by audioholic : 8th November 2019 at 18:14.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th November 2019, 19:00   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. There are many. Please go through the Team-BHP's review to find out more.
Thanks for directing me to the official review, I wish I had thought of it in the first place! Silly, silly me.

So, I did go through it and all I could find was that the Z trim level wears 17in wheels as opposed to 16in on the lower variants and this makes the ride on the lower variants a wee bit superior. While this is not a mechanical difference per se, could you help me find out the other 'many' differences there are between the trim levels please? I am specifically asking for mechanical differences and not the touch/feel of plastics, upholstery, leather etc.

Quote:
My opinion of the V Class stems from the fact that I was driven around in the Netherlands in one (not the Elite version) from the Rotterdam airport to Apeldoorn. The V Class is quite a common van there, along with the Ford Transit Connect.

As I said in the beginning, I am comparing these Two for comparison sake, nothing more, nothing less. I chose Innova since it is the baseline in the segment. If the Kia Carnival or Toyota Vellfire was available here, I would have compared the V Class to that too. Its not like I'm trying to compare Al Pachino and Rober DeNiro. Now, that would be a real sin
Alright, while I still don't understand the point of this comparison, I will close my arguments here with some questions to myself - is a Honda City 3 times better than the Alto? Is a BMW 5er, 3 times better than a Honda City? Is a Rolls Royce Phantom, 10 times better than a BMW 5er?
Porschefire is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks