Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 16:54   #211
BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
1. As mentioned earlier, the media drives for both the Harrier auto and Gravitas are scheduled post Auto Expo. These will be conducted together.
2. Tata will launch a new red colour similar to that offered in the Altroz in the Harrier at the media drive.
4. The Harrier media cars will sport only two major changes I.e. Panoramic sunroof and the automatic with 170 bhp engine.
7. Tata is working on connected car platform for the Harrier duo.
Thank you for your updates. You just made my day. The Harrier now ticks almost all my boxes. I have been patiently waiting for this and the next two months are now going to be difficult.
I just hope they fix the driver hand-rest as well; but that is something I can now compromise on considering all of the above!!

Very very happy with the above news
ihrishi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 17:32   #212
BHPian

A little bird tells me that the Harrier twins may come with an adjustable handrest like the one in the Altroz.

Fingers crossed!
ihrishi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 08:41   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihrishi View Post
A little bird tells me that the Harrier twins may come with an adjustable handrest like the one in the Altroz.

Fingers crossed!
If they deliver on all these improvements, it would be one of the few instances where global car companies have made key design changes within a year of launch to act based on customer feedback. Generally it takes a mid cycle refresh for such changes. This is the new “Agile” way of working versus the traditional “Waterfall” way. Go TATA!
84.monsoon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 07:41   #214
BHPian

Coming from the discovery sport let me tell you this. The 7 seats are a myth. You can call it 5 plus 2 baby seats. These seats are a huge compromise and cannot accommodate any adult for a reasonable time.
AirbusCapt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 10:04   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Coming from the discovery sport let me tell you this. The 7 seats are a myth. You can call it 5 plus 2 baby seats. These seats are a huge compromise and cannot accommodate any adult for a reasonable time.
Is this a general statement for all 7 seaters, or for Gravitas?

I tested Ertiga yesterday, and I found the last row pretty good. In fact better than hexa, as hexa seat is too low.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 10:07   #216
Senior - BHPian

Most families don't need the seven seats , they just need the assurance there are seven seats if needed. The last two seats gets used once in a blue moon. Otherwise cars like XUV500 will not be selling this much. A spacious last row leads to a longer passenger compartment which destroys the aspirational SUV looks.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 25th December 2019 at 10:18.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 11:58   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Is this a general statement for all 7 seaters, or for Gravitas?

I tested Ertiga yesterday, and I found the last row pretty good. In fact better than hexa, as hexa seat is too low.
Only Gravitas, since it shares the platform with the discovery sport. The seats are not too low, they are far too small because of which an adult has to squeeze into them.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 14:53   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

2020 Tata Gravitas seven-seater SUV spotted testing ahead of Auto Expo 2020 debut.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-2020tatagravitasspied02.jpg

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-2020tatagravitasspied01.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 16:27   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
2020 Tata Gravitas seven-seater SUV spotted testing ahead of Auto Expo 2020 debut.
The ORVMs look similar to Harrier. Doesn't look like they have fixed the number one problem everyone spots with Harrier.
Old 27th December 2019, 16:35   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
The ORVMs look similar to Harrier. Doesn't look like they have fixed the number one problem everyone spots with Harrier.
Yes, looks like this particular test mule is from the older lot and therefore has the large ORVMs, however a few newer test mules have been spotted sporting the resized ORVMs.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 19:35   #221
Senior - BHPian

Hello bhpians. Want to share some new information regarding the Harrier/Gravitas duo.

1. The media drive venue is shifted to south. Most probably it will be at Hyderabad.

2. Production of media cars will kick off from 1st January.

3. Total of 36 Gravitas and 10 Harrier will be made for the media drive.

4. Customers will be able to book the cars immediately post the media drive and also Tata is planning to make the cars available for both test drive and sale immediately post the media drive.

5. Internal target is for 3000 Gravitas and 2000 Harrier to be billed to the dealers before the financial year end.

6. Customer car production to kick off immediately once the media cars are done with that is around the last week of January.

7. First beta version of the turbo petrol will be fired up around May 2020 but actual launch is still slated for 2022.

8. 7 speed wet clutch DCT is being developed for the Harrier platform. Till then the Hyundai torque converter will be a stop gap arrangement. The DCT should be launched by 2023 when the CAFE norms kick in.

9. Fiat's 1.4 turbo petrol was rejected for the Harrier due to lack of sufficient low end torque and also the recent experience of dealing with Fiat for the Multijet has left a bad taste in Tata's mouth.

10. The deal with Fiat is for 70000 engines per annum for 7 years and not for a total of 7 years as I had wrongly mentioned earlier. So let's say if Tata consumes 12000 engines per year for the Omega platform then they still have to pay for the remaining 58000 engines. This is really bleeding Tata Motors.

11. On 19th January 2020 at the TCS marathon in Mumbai, at the gateway of India, Tata will have a lineup of all their utility vehicles right from the Estate till the Gravitas on display and Mr Ratan Tata is expected to flag off the ceremony while standing through the panoramic sunroof of the Harrier.
ram87pune is online now   (40) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 21:28   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello bhpians. Want to share some new information regarding the Harrier/Gravitas duo.

8. 7 speed wet clutch DCT is being developed for the Harrier platform. Till then the Hyundai torque converter will be a stop gap arrangement. The DCT should be launched by 2023 when the CAFE norms kick in.

Thnaks for the update, sounds exciting. One question - will the 170hp tune be also available across the manual variants? i.e., Do all the exisitng manual variants get the new tune of the engine or is there a plan to offer both the 140 hp and 170 hp tunes simultaneously?

If TATA limits the price premium for BS6 + Auto to about 2 lakhs, I think we will have a really good option with a well equipped XTA variant at 17.5 ex-shpwroom (around 20 lakhs on-road; currently 15.5 ex-showroom for the Manual XT). A further price premium of Rs. 2 lakhs for the third row in the Gravitas would make that 19.5 ex-showroom for a similarly equipped XTA version. I hope that happens.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 21:48   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Thnaks for the update, sounds exciting. One question - will the 170hp tune be also available across the manual variants?
AFAIK all the Harriers post BS6 will come with the 170 bhp tune because that's the standard state of tune for the Multulijet. Tata opted for the lower tune earlier to avoid paying any more premium to Fiat for the ECU tuning. Also having just one engine for all the Harrier/Gravitas SUVs rolling off the assembly line will reduce any clutter on the production line.

So IMO the future looks tough for the Gravitas due to the following reasons

1. The cheaper Harrier will give you that panoramic sunroof plus better performance and dynamics at a lower price.

2. People who need 7 seats for a regular use will be more inclined to go for the Hexa once it becomes available by Diwali next year due to better 3rd row seating comfort plus better ride quality of the Hexa.

3. People who need 4×4 will anyway have no choice but to go for the Hexa as the Omega platform won't get the AWD hardware for a few years at least.

4. Hexa will also get powered driver's seat and a sunroof in its BS6 avatar so the gap between the feature set of the Gravitas and the Hexa will not count for much.

So honestly I think that Gravitas's reign as the flagship SUV of Tata Motors will be shortlived till the Hexa BS6 comes out after which it's going to be a nightmare for the TML salespersons to convince the customers to go for the Gravitas.
ram87pune is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 23:01   #224
BHPian

Quote:
So honestly I think that Gravitas's reign as the flagship SUV of Tata Motors will be shortlived till the Hexa BS6 comes out after which it's going to be a nightmare for the TML salespersons to convince the customers to go for the Gravitas.
As is they have a hard time selling 10 lakhs plus vehicles. With this they will be shooting in the head. What is going on with the engineering and marketing teams?
nsbhagwat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 23:20   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
As is they have a hard time selling 10 lakhs plus vehicles. With this they will be shooting in the head. What is going on with the engineering and marketing teams?
Hexa is definitely a solid vehicle but I just don't think it looks modern. Although TATA has done much to dress up the front, one can easily see the age old Aria underpinnings. One look from the front reveals a body that bulges sideways outside the frame set by the wheels - this to me is not modern or aesthetic. The back is a sea of chrome and other tricks to hide the flat hexagonal structure that is plain boring. On the other hand, the Harrier is completely modern and sleek, it is impossible to imagine the two cars come from the same company.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks