Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2019, 17:10   #1
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Mercedes-Benz GLE bookings open in India

Mercedes-Benz has started accepting bookings for the next-generation GLE in India. The SUV is scheduled to be launched before the 2020 Auto Expo.

Next-gen Mercedes-Benz GLE bookings open in India-2020mercedesbenzgle.jpg

Compared to the outgoing model, the new GLE has a longer wheelbase (2,995 mm). It comes with revised styling including a new grille and headlamps. On the inside, the car gets two 12.3-inch screens and a multi-function steering wheel with touch panels.

In India, the GLE is likely to be offered with two diesel engine options including a 3.0-litre, 6-cylinder unit producing 325 BHP and 700 Nm, a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder motor putting out 242 BHP and 500 Nm and a 3.0-litre, 6-cylinder petrol unit developing 362 BHP and 500 Nm. All engines are expected to be mated to a 9-speed automatic gearbox.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 21:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Mercedes-Benz GLE bookings open in India

OMG just wondering how much more powerful these diesel engines are becoming. The current 350d has around 250 hp and now it's got 325 hp. The torque figure is just insane. While the current 250d has 204 hp and now it's got 242 hp.

So basically now even the 250d spec should be plenty quick for our roads. I think Audi India should learn a thing or two from MBIL who are launching not one but two diesels while Audi is steadfastly refusing to launch diesels here.
ram87pune is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 20:43   #3
BHPian

The new GLE looks stunning! Mercedes have been absolutely on the money with their new designs. With BMW getting softer as driving machines, I think MB should be gaining market share. The hideous BMW grills aren't helping either.
Old 29th October 2019, 06:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
While the current 250d has 204 hp and now it's got 242 hp.
The 242 hp version could actually be the 300d (not 100% sure).

The C-class has a C300d spec with similar power and torque figures as this one.
voldemort is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2019, 09:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post

The 300d is the replacement for the 250d from the earlier generation of the GLE and the pre-facelift version of the C class with more power and torque.

There is a GLE 350d version with 268 bhp in Europe but given that the one coming to India has 325 bhp, it's probably the GLE 400d. Just hope they don't overprice the 6 cylinder!
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 16:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
The 300d is the replacement for the 250d from the earlier generation of the GLE and the pre-facelift version of the C class with more power and torque.
There is a GLE 350d version with 268 bhp in Europe but given that the one coming to India has 325 bhp, it's probably the GLE 400d. Just hope they don't overprice the 6 cylinder!
I too have this feeling.

All Global reviews talk of the GLE 300D with similar specs, and no mention of the GLE250D. I doubt it would be any different in India where the 'higher badge value' is an added bragging point

Same with the GLE 400D in terms of specs.

I reckon the price difference between both would be the standard 10-12L and the 400D will probably get the fancier suspension set up (AIRmatic vs standard steel springs?) and a couple other small goodies; though the other features including sound system should be standard.

I also hope Mercedes carries on with their trend and launches the nice Brown / Tan interiors on this car as an option instead of limiting it to just beige / black.

If priced as aggressively as the older ML was at launch, expect this to have a waiting period despite the gloomy economy.

I for one would love it if it's well priced, and more senior friendly in terms of ingress & egress; and for those who have been wanting an X5 - expect massive discounts on the old stock once this is launched (coupled with BS6 roll out).

Last edited by lamborghini : 30th October 2019 at 16:50.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2019, 17:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
If priced as aggressively as the older ML was at launch, expect this to have a waiting period despite the gloomy economy.

I for one would love it if it's well priced, and more senior friendly in terms of ingress & egress; and for those who have been wanting an X5 - expect massive discounts on the old stock once this is launched (coupled with BS6 roll out).
I highly doubt it will be priced aggressively as it was earlier, they are going to position it and price it against the X5 which is 70-80 ex-showroom. The ML was launched at around 55L if i recall correctly.

Isn't the new X5 BS6 already?

Discounts currently on the GLS are very good, you can pretty much get it at GLE pricing.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 07:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Discounts currently on the GLS are very good, you can pretty much get it at GLE pricing.
Wonder when the new GLS would be launched in India?
Old 31st October 2019, 08:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Next-gen Mercedes-Benz GLE bookings open in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I too have this feeling.

All Global reviews talk of the GLE 300D with similar specs, and no mention of the GLE250D. I doubt it would be any different in India where the 'higher badge value' is an added bragging point
I positively think that Mercedes has now dropped the 250d nomenclature globally. They are going with 200 and 300 for the Petrols and 220d and 300 d for the diesels in that engine segment.

[/quote]Wonder when the new GLS would be launched in India?[/quote]

I was at the Mercedes dealer last week and they are expecting the new GLS only by September next year.

Mercedes has really upped the benchmark in terms of design and also have worked on their engine/ gearbox combinations of late and it is showing great results. I think their 9 speed auto was the game changer as it is enabled the engineers to up the power and torque ratings.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 31st October 2019 at 08:17.
Old 31st October 2019, 10:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow I didn't like the face of this one. Looks like a fish or a frog or the botched up Punto EVO. Especially the headlamps are not that great IMO. Rest of the car looks neat. Typical German lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
In India, the GLE is likely to be offered with two diesel engine options including a 3.0-litre, 6-cylinder unit producing 325 BHP and 700 Nm, a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder motor putting out 242 BHP and 500 Nm and a 3.0-litre, 6-cylinder petrol unit developing 362 BHP and 500 Nm. All engines are expected to be mated to a 9-speed automatic gearbox.
Wow...! What power figures. Stunning. Is that 6 cyl unit a V6? Or an inline-6? The car's dimensions make me presume it would be a V6.

And a 9 speed transmission. Would give an excellent power-torque spread for those meaty engines for all conditions. Will do justice to power while also ensuring maximum possible fuel efficiency. Glad to see MB bringing in / continuing capable engine-gearbox combinations and not skimping on these for India.

Last edited by Reinhard : 31st October 2019 at 10:07.
Old 31st October 2019, 11:21   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Is that 6 cyl unit a V6? Or an inline-6? The car's dimensions make me presume it would be a V6.
Should be straight. They have moved from V6 to Straight on S Class that they sell here last Year.

https://www.auto-data.net/en/mercede...g-tronic-35269

Quote:
The 300d is the replacement for the 250d
There is a GLE 350d version with 268 bhp in Europe but given that the one coming to India has 325 bhp, it's probably the GLE 400d.
We can safely refer to UK market for nomenclature/ technical details.

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pass...lSalesType=GB7

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st October 2019 at 11:23.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2019, 17:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
I was at the Mercedes dealer last week and they are expecting the new GLS only by September next year.
That's a long wait considering the X7 is already here (and sold out apparently).
Old 31st October 2019, 21:59   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post

Mercedes has really upped the benchmark in terms of design and also have worked on their engine/ gearbox combinations of late and it is showing great results. I think their 9 speed auto was the game changer as it is enabled the engineers to up the power and torque ratings.
Quote:
That's a long wait considering the X7 is already here (and sold out apparently).
Putting it into perspective, the X7 was revealed in Oct 2018, went into production in Mar 2019 and came to India in October, that is about 6 months after production release.

The GLS was revealed in New York around March /April 2019 and released to the US Market in October. Rest of World sales start in January 2020 onwards, this translates to an extra 3 month delay!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks