Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think Tata Motors needs to change their logo?
Yes 266 56.96%
No 201 43.04%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2020, 14:49   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?

The existing logo is good enough.

They have started rolling out better products. Their challenge today is in improving their brand perception. And the brand perception isn't going to change due to a new logo. It will take better (and more consistently better) experience during the buying process and ownership. That alone can bring them more volumes, not a new logo.

As pointed out in other threads they need to introduce all the powertrain options, right at the time of product launch.

Also, another need of the hour is improving the value for the shareholder. And here too, a new logo isn't going to help.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 7th December 2020 at 14:53.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 15:40   #62
BHPian

Changing logo is a component of changing brand perception. I do not want to be driving a car which has the same logo as a beat down old truck or a garbage disposal truck.
mathuranuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 18:18   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathuranuj View Post
Changing logo is a component of changing brand perception. I do not want to be driving a car which has the same logo as a beat down old truck or a garbage disposal truck.
I don't understand your reply. Some of the finest and most reputed automotive companies are involved in making CVs since decades now. Many of the examples even ending up as "beat down". From what I do gather historically, this certainly doesn't seem to be the case. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Attaching a picture of the "garbage disposal truck" from the maker of what is often called the world's best car.
Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-garbage-truck.jpg
And here is Volvos
Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-volvofehybrid_100232385_h.jpg
Here is a beat down Mercedes truck
Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-mercedesbenzoldtrucksvol1006.jpg
I don't think the presence of any of these vehicles has changed an iota of perception about these brands among the general public. Also from what I see, the logos are the same ones put on the grilles of their luxury car counterparts

Last edited by sodapop : 7th December 2020 at 18:19.
sodapop is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 19:33   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
Some of the finest and most reputed automotive companies are involved in making CVs since decades now. I don't think the presence of any of these vehicles has changed an iota of perception about these brands among the general public. Also from what I see, the logos are the same ones put on the grilles of their luxury car counterparts
+1
Ford's halo supercar proudly wears the blue oval, the same is also found on their commercial vehicles.
Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-images.jpeg
Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-2017_ford_gt_33_1024x768.jpg
I know some people have problems with the current Tata logo associated with it's commercial vehicles but I personally love this very fact that a clapped out Tata truck wears the same logo as the Nexon, Altroz or Harrier, Tata's finest vehicles.

Last edited by TaurusSHO : 7th December 2020 at 19:35.
TaurusSHO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th December 2020, 19:54   #65
BHPian

why is it relevant?

the product is the important part. The logo is irrelevant if the product is good. And the logo is irrelevant if the product is bad.

Can't vote as NOTA option not available
Mafia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 00:07   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapop View Post
I don't understand your reply. Some of the finest and most reputed automotive companies are involved in making CVs since decades now. Many of the examples even ending up as "beat down". From what I do gather historically, this certainly doesn't seem to be the case. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Attaching a picture of the "garbage disposal truck" from the maker of what is often called the world's best car.
Attachment 2090232
And here is Volvos
Attachment 2090234
Here is a beat down Mercedes truck
Attachment 2090233
I don't think the presence of any of these vehicles has changed an iota of perception about these brands among the general public. Also from what I see, the logos are the same ones put on the
I disagree with you. We don’t have Mercedes/Volvo garbage truck in India. If we have those and still people disregard only Tata then what you say makes sense.

IMHO it is better Tata have a different logo or brand name for passenger vehicles.

I would suggest the same for TVS, why would someone buy a 3 lakh rupee bike with the same brand name as an auto or an XL 50?

For the same reason I dislike BMW commuter bikes. Everyone would have a BMW and it sort of detoriates the brand image. RE has lost its charm because of so many being everywhere.

Imagine a brand like Apple producing phones for 5k and 10k. Would people still happily post their selfies with their new iPhone ?

It is possible to say that what is in a brand if the product fits my purpose. For those please go ahead and buy whichever product you like. But when we talk about more people buying a specific brand then it has to be carefully designed to be inspirational and appealing.

A brand especially in automobiles, phone and attire, has an indirect purpose IMO which is to signal the social status. People subconsciously know this and that is why they avoid brands which are confusing and doesn’t signal the right message.

Last edited by Godzilla : 8th December 2020 at 00:16.
Old 8th December 2020, 05:49   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-tata.jpg

How many remember the above change from TELCO to TATA Motors and the associated change in brand identity? This signified a major change across the organisation that most importantly included the products and services, to begin with. At that point in time, the brand "TATA" was a boon to the products.

I feel that TATA Motors is in a similar situation now where the products are so much better (Quality not there yet) BUT the brand "TATA" is actually a bane.

We can debate for years that Mercedes and Volvo sell dumpsters and luxury cars; and the fact that there are probably a million Toyota Camry taxis and there's nothing negative about it. Yes, that's true.

What's also true is that one of the first things that come to many people's mind on hearing the name TATA Motors is Nano, Indica or Indicab taxi and frankly it's not a positive vibe. Is it right? No. But are you here to sell cars or to prove that people's perspectives about their brand are wrong? Make a wise choice.

The new TATA cars need a complete branding overhaul and not just a logo re-design.

Note:
  1. There's nothing premium about NEXA but Maruti got away with it.
  2. People wouldn't have warmed up to a Chevrolet Captiva the same way they were smitten by the MG Hector.
  3. Hyundai did a masterstroke by launching the KIA brand and increasing its overall market share, which wouldn't have been possible without the additional brand. I guess the masses perceive KIA to be more upmarket.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 09:57   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted yes. The current logo looks too large in size, dated in design and somehow reminds you of the past which is a put-off since they bring back not so good memories.

They need to redesign the logo to look in sync with their modern futuristic designs. It will look good and integrate with their current car design language. At the same time, it will help people warm up better to the brand.

While on this topic, I also feel they need to redesign their steering wheel design which to me looks extra bulky with a large horn pad and again that logo in extra large font size in the center.
Old 8th December 2020, 10:21   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I always wanted to see Tata SUVs with just "TATA" text on the grill just like GMC. IMHO, it gives more muscular looks.

Sorry for bad photoshop.
I wanted to do the exact same thing on my Sierra's grill. Just like TATA trucks with TATA lettering on. I want to cut a mesh grill to the size of original grill in matte black and use the big old TATA lettering on grill, just like how Ford Endeavor's owners are using Ford Raptor type grill on their vehicles.

I even like the big old T logo on my Sierra and older TELCO cars. This new T 3d logo is too small for my liking.

Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-tataprimapic.jpg

Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-img_20201205_151042.jpg

Do you think Tata Motors needs to change its logo?-160485.jpg

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 8th December 2020 at 10:22.
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 10:59   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes. History has shown that while moving DOWN the value chain has always worked for auto makers, working UP is significantly difficult. Brands that get pigeonholed as "budget" brands never succeed in the higher end of the market.

Rebranding is clearly an option. Maruti seems to have nailed it with NEXA. Though not an exact parallel, Kia vs Hyundai also appeals to different, mutually exclusive segments of the market. I think the turning point for Tata was when they left the Indica legacy behind and started producing quality cars (Vista, Zest) but even assuming that was a missed opportunity, the Altroz, Nexon and Harrier were ideally placed to be launched under a new or sub-brand of Tata.

Tata Motors also has the unfortunate "poor man's car" brand association thanks to the Nano, now no longer in production. You simply can't sell cars, which are a lifestyle statement, under that platform.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 13:01   #71
BHPian

I am not eligible to vote on these polls yet, but I would have voted no.

When companies start investing in re-designing their Logos, investing in a new corporate head quarter etc (without good reason), its a sign of a wrong strategic focus and value destruction.

As a TAMO shareholder, I am pained by their lacklustre performance. I think they have made significant improvements in their engineering (reviews and sales of the recent cars seems to show that) but they need to really up their game in communicating the brand value more effectively.

Tata's have a strong credibility capital associated with their brand name but they can take a few lessons from Motabhai (who is their total antithesis in many ways) in marketing and execution.
Old 8th December 2020, 16:05   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post
When companies start investing in re-designing their Logos, investing in a new corporate head quarter etc (without good reason), its a sign of a wrong strategic focus and value destruction.
I don't agree that launching premium cars under a new brand is the same as investing in a new corporate HQ. It's worked for Lexus, Acura and others. Ironically Tata owns the Jaguar/LR family of brands, so it should actually be easier for them to capitalise on this.

Quote:
As a TAMO shareholder, I am pained by their lacklustre performance. I think they have made significant improvements in their engineering (reviews and sales of the recent cars seems to show that) but they need to really up their game in communicating the brand value more effectively.
You said it. Flogging the Tata brand to sell automobiles that are far removed from the Nano and Indica with which it has got inextricably entwined is probably something that needs to be revisited.

Quote:
Tata's have a strong credibility capital associated with their brand name but they can take a few lessons from Motabhai (who is their total antithesis in many ways) in marketing and execution.
I assume you mean Reliance? All their new successful businesses are now using an all new brand name
Old 8th December 2020, 19:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

Voted YES.

The number of Altroz & Nexons on the road is increasing, as far as I can see. The other day, looking at a Harrier in my ORVM, was impressed how much presence these cars have - a far cry from the Sumo (Sierra was a much better looking product in those days, I guess).

Take a look at the boot of the Kite / Zest / Tiago / Tigor - I can see visible progress from the Indica, Indigo lineage.

So, with the improving design language and (hopefully) better built cars as they progress further, an updated logo will convey that a TATA is a new age car, and the past is, well, history!!

Last edited by vrprabhu : 8th December 2020 at 19:05. Reason: Added clarity
Old 8th December 2020, 19:45   #74
BHPian

More than the Logo, Tata seriously need to get rid of the Smiling face front which they have been carrying from the days of Indica.

Its too boring now and with the new designs they are coming up with, i personally don't feel that smiling face goes with these designs.
Old 8th December 2020, 19:50   #75
Senior - BHPian

TAMO sounds cooler than TATA. I don't mind having a massive TAMO grill out front, FORD Raptor style. The T logo can be refreshed/tweaked to be sleeker. What was once modern and compelling can lose its power over time. People perceive an organisation as out-of-touch with modern best practices, when they see an 'outdated' logo. Exciting work is certainly possible on this Brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaced Out View Post
As a TAMO shareholder, I am pained by their lacklustre performance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks