Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2024, 20:08   #3361
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Repair update:

Since this Car was a gift, we wanted to drive it down over weekend and present ourselves to father at hometown. That is why Delivery on Gudi Padwa was critical (which took different fight altogether with dealer). And so after the whole ordeal of accident late into night, I was convinced that now I need to get the Panel replaced by checking with ASC tomorrow. We were thoroughly disheartened and kept wondering why this happened with us. But I was confident in my heart that decision to forgive the kid was correct.

In morning, I took a look at car in full day light. Fortunately, only rear bumper was damage broken. No impact on underbody guard or quarter panel or wheel assembly body. My biggest worry was structural integrity, and not the cosmetic look. Again by god's grace, there was no serious damage to structure and only Fibre Plastic part was damaged. In my assessment, kid was in speed and tried to control impact at last moment by hard break, steep right-turn to steering wheel. Had it been full 180 deg impact, maybe car would've got pushed ahead and damage would have been everywhere from Boot panel to entire back-body. Maybe airbags might've also got deployed. I felt grateful that no major accident happened and both of us were safe, no injury to anybody else either.

I called Viva Honda (where I purchased) for Service centre contact before I actually drive-down, in case of appointment required. Perhaps it was too early for them, and nobody called back after promising call-back. Then I called another Honda ASC, girl promptly directed call to Service site head who took down details. I sent photographs etc. He reached out immediately after 10-15mins, saying the Panel needs to be replaced which costs 15k+ GST incl painting, labor everything. Only catch is the part is not available, and would take 3 days for stock availability. I called another Centre and they also said part is not available in Mumbai altogether. Strange.

So in meanwhile I had already registered Insurance claim late last night. Now I was in confused mind, what to do. It was important to me the panel is fixed immediately as our travel plans were aligned accordingly. But good repair was also extremely important. Another factor was claiming Insurance, this would've meant letting go of No Claim Bonus, and adding accident history to Car within first 24hrs. While I am not averse to claiming insurance and have done so in past, above factors were important as well. One may disagree, but avoiding claim was my personal preference.

I decided to bring my local garage guy just to take opinion on repair. He examined and showed readiness to fix it. I quizzed him for half hour as how the process will go and to what extent he can fix it. He showed me few example videos of past jobs. He assured that if the progress is not upto satisfaction, I can withdraw and go for full panel replacement. It seemed like a good idea to try at least. I was worried about the broken patch of bumper, even though damage was limited to only small area. I made up my mind, and gave go ahead. Since damage was limited to fibre plastic, I thought this can be fixed.

What followed was 8 hours of gruelling job, which I personally sat throughout with each technician till the Car was fixed. It became good as new. Nobody could tell (except me) if there was any damage to bumper. These chaps did amazing work, must appreciate their skills. Such job typically takes 2-3 days to complete, but guys were willing enough to put aside other tasks and focus on this one car alone.

Only polishing work was pending, which I got done a day later since you need to let the surface dry little more and settle. I was overall satisfied with the repair, there was no sign of damage or shoddy fix. Whole thing cost me 6.5K, I didn't take compensation from anybody. By looking at result of repair, I had already forgotten whole unpleasant experience of last night. I was happy again. I was looking forward to weekend and to drive this beautiful baby on Samruddhi Expressway.

The Damage-Repair-Result with pictures, in that sequence order.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_4856.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_4858.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_4863.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_4867.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_4869.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_4872.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_4876.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_4878.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_4880.jpg  

ndp88 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 20:26   #3362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeard View Post
Its an honest mistake but the consequences could have been worse.
Pretty magnanimous of you to have not escalated the matter with authorities & let go
but is he paying for the repair of the damages caused by his son?
Yes, consequences could have been worse. We were lucky. On the other side, this kid could have had his future life ruined. And I could have made sure of that. I had videos, photos and entire evidence. It would've been stratighforward. No escape for him.

But again, we thought we were given opportunity to forgive. God had given choice. He admitted mistake, only vindictive satisfaction would have come out of pursuing matter further with authorities. We didn't want that on happy occasion, and festival.

No I did not take compensation from father. I can still do that. But I just want to forget the whole damn thing. Its ok.
ndp88 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 22:39   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to the great workmanship and a perfect job.
It was a good decision to go the FNG route in this case.
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 11:02   #3364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndp88 View Post
Hello everyone, update here. Not a happy one. He was without licence, driving without headlight in his XUV700.
H]
I felt very sad reading your experience. No one should face this situation especially with a new car. These underage reckless drivers are a menace on the road. Hope he does not drive until he gets proper driving lessons and a proper license.
girimajiananth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 11:55   #3365
BHPian

Fantastic job done.

Very difficult to point out if the bumper has been repaired by a local garage guy.
Toni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 12:34   #3366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Kudos to the great workmanship and a perfect job. It was a good decision to go the FNG route in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
Fantastic job done.
Very difficult to point out if the bumper has been repaired by a local garage guy.
Excellent workmanship indeed in restoring the rear bumper to its original condition. No doubt it is a cost effective solution.

However, since the rear bumper was cracked and the same has been tinkered with, will the crumple zone from the rear be effective if there is another impact?
I don't think so!
BlackBeard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 12:46   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndp88 View Post
Repair update:I decided to bring my local garage guy just to take opinion on repair. He examined and showed readiness to fix it. I quizzed him for half hour as how the process will go and to what extent he can fix it. He showed me few example videos of past jobs. He assured that if the progress is not upto satisfaction, I can withdraw and go for full panel replacement. It seemed like a good idea to try at least.
That's a really seamless workmanship by your FNG.

My Ciaz also has quite a few scratches and dents across the entire body panels - doors, front bumper/fenders and rear quarter panel/bumper (perils of driving in peak Mumbai traffic).
These are not major ones, and I'm thinking to go through the FNG route to get the same fixed.

Your FNG looks like an expert, could you let me know where is he located?
I put up at Borivli, I would want to explore with your FNG if he can fix the attachments or otherwise.

Let's DM if you think your FNG could attend to these fixes needed.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-image-20240408-12.47.29-1.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-image-20240408-12.47.29.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-image-20240408-12.47.30-1.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-image-20240408-12.47.30-2.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-image-20240408-12.47.30.jpeg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-image-20240408-12.47.31.jpeg  

jigar1791@gmail is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 14:39   #3368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeard View Post
However, since the rear bumper was cracked and the same has been tinkered with, will the crumple zone from the rear be effective if there is another impact?
I don't think so!
Good point. No doubt any such repair won't be perfect-as-is restoration to body condition. This was solution for time-being as ASC Part was unavailable. Also very small area affected, had it been even 30% of panel area impact, I would've desisted from such repair. I plan to do replacement perhaps in years time when other bodywork is also due. Also even though bracket got back in place without much effort, one hinge has broken. I am also monitoring heat, and car running on more treacherous road to see how panel absorbs the stress after this repair. If there is any sign of deterioration, I will go for replacement asap.

As I said in earlier post, structural integrity was very important to me than the cosmetic look. So I was skeptical of Plastic-welding, because they tend to crack up soon. What I decided with technician here was novel solution of metal-mesh heat weld. This is stronger than other flimsy tricks. That panel will absorb impact. All credit to technicians for excellent job. Typical Crumple zone extents all the way into trunk, which was safe without damage. That's why decided to go for this fix, for now.

But again, this was personal decision. For all readers, please decide for yourselves. I am not safety-impact expert.

Metal mesh used in heat welding
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img_4866.jpeg  

ndp88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 15:28   #3369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Kudos to the great workmanship and a perfect job. It was a good decision to go the FNG route in this case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I felt very sad reading your experience. No one should face this situation especially with a new car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni View Post
Fantastic job done. Very difficult to point out if the bumper has been repaired by a local garage guy.
Thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar1791@gmail View Post
Let's DM if you think your FNG could attend to these fixes needed.
Sure, DMing your details.

---

Few things I wish to highlight -
  • In my opinion, even skilled mechanics are as good as your level of interest in your own vehicle. I sat through with them on ground in heat shoulder-to-shoulder like old times to fix the problem. They won't give damn if you don't give a damn. It's not just about supervision, but also care and being part of decisions one has to take during repair.
  • Even in places like Mumbai, basic road infra and regulations are up for a toss. There was time when driving car without licence would draw fear twice because of strictness of law. Nobody cares today. I see highly educated, rich, professionals (maybe working in reputed firms) break laws, drive wrong side so easily. There is no fear. Nobody to stop and educate them. Traffic cops are either losing themselves at mad-junction management, or happy being photographer on quiet suburban road for parking fine collection. Streetlights missing in many areas. Some agency will dig-up the road and then nobody cares about putting safety signs, sufficient lighting, blindspot mirror/caution, temporary signals, alternate U-turns. We are regressing into wild-west. You are on your own. Despite paying heavy taxes, tolls and what not. Be careful out there. Roads have become worse, and driving behaviour is completely senseless.
  • Coming to Honda City, after this incident now I have serious concerns on the choices OEMs are making these days. Is it the quality of sourced body materials or conscious decision to use cheap parts? How easily could my bumper panel break so deep? I was rear-ended in Duster once, but damage was nowhere this deep. Even old Fiesta, Punto felt stronger than this case.
ndp88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 16:16   #3370
SRM
BHPian

Hi, that's a really neat job done there by the FNG. I am from Bombay as well and am looking for a competent FNG as have these scratches/dents all around the car.

Can you please share the details of this FNG.
Old 19th April 2024, 17:05   #3371
BHPian

Really nice job by FNG. I got my Honda City door painted by ASC, but the color match is not 100%. You are really lucky and brave to get a new car repaired by FNG. My other car (daily beater car) went to the Maruti showroom multiple times, but they never match paint perfectly. But this time, I gave it to a local garage, and the results are fabulous.
Old 22nd April 2024, 08:04   #3372
BHPian

Has anyone here bought sun shades for the door windows and the front windscreen? I'm looking to get something for the doors as well as the umbrella type for the front windscreen.
  • Doors: Are the magnetic types good to use? I keep reading on Amazon reviews that the magnets cause discoloration / rusting after some time.
  • Front: Is it safe to use the umbrella type (when the car is parked) in terms of any issues the bounced back heat can cause to the front galss?

Please recommend based on your experience. Not looking for the glass film as of now.

Trying to beat the Gurgaon heat
Old 22nd April 2024, 15:25   #3373
BHPian

Hi all,

I bought a new Honda City 5th Gen VXI last year in Pune from Crystal Honda - Bavdhan and have been servicing the car there ever since.

However, now I've moved to Thane (change of job) and am hence on the lookout for a reliable Honda ASS.

Do you know if Regent Honda is a reliable dealer for servicing?

Cheers!
Old 22nd April 2024, 23:44   #3374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSpymaster View Post
Has anyone here bought sun shades for the door windows and the front windscreen? I'm looking to get something for the doors as well as the umbrella type for the front windscreen.
  • Doors: Are the magnetic types good to use? I keep reading on Amazon reviews that the magnets cause discoloration / rusting after some time.
  • Front: Is it safe to use the umbrella type (when the car is parked) in terms of any issues the bounced back heat can cause to the front galss?

Please recommend based on your experience. Not looking for the glass film as of now.

Trying to beat the Gurgaon heat
For all 4 windows, please use this product - I've used them for an year, and the fit and finish is perfect. For rear, you have sun-shades built in (my ZX MT has it).

I'm not sure on front windscreen - haven't really thought about adding a sun-shade there, but then I live in BLR, which isn't as hot as GGN.
LordSharan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 07:08   #3375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSharan View Post
For all 4 windows, please use this product - I've used them for an year, and the fit and finish is perfect. For rear, you have sun-shades built in (my ZX MT has it).
Yes, the rear isn't an issue.

These Autofact ones - they are magnetic right? Has the magnet caused any rusting issues? Also, how strong is the magnet itself?

Most Viewed