Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2019, 12:50   #211
BHPian

re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

IMHO, this is a beauty!! The design is classy and understated just like the VW cars. No flashy or overkill design elements, a sleek looking long car. But yes the interiors look boring at least in pictures. If priced well, the Seltos and Hector may feel the heat.
RD150 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:01   #212
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Next-gen Honda City to get 1.5L n/a, NOT the turbo

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-2020hondacityofficial4.jpg

The next generation Honda City is likely to get a 1.5-litre, naturally aspirated petrol engine in India, instead of the turbocharged unit offered in Thailand.

The 1.0-litre, turbo petrol engine is said to be unique to Thailand. It is believed to be unsuitable for Indian traffic conditions and would be expensive to build and maintain. Besides, this turbo petrol unit is Euro5 compliant.

The India-spec City is likely to get a reworked 1.5-litre i-VTEC engine with more power and improved fuel economy. We are told that Honda has improved the low-end torque based on customer feedback. Transmission options are likely to include a 6-speed manual and a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:42   #213
BHPian

Thank GOD they are not launching the tiny 1.0 L engine. The 1.5 iVtech NA is a gem. I will stick my neck and say this is the best petrol engine in its segment. Honda has had reliability issues with turbos in USA.
JediKnight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 14:59   #214
BHPian

Just check oil dilution issue with their turbos in USA. in case we have similar issue, our government policies wont even help customers with a lawsuit against manufacturer.

Explanation from Honda in one of the portals:
"Honda says the problem occurs when the engine doesn’t warm up enough to evaporate unburned fuel that slips past piston rings and infiltrates engine oil. The automaker notes oil dilution is normal in all internal-combustion engines, but especially in direct-injected turbocharged engines

If an owner repeats that short-drive/cold-weather cycle multiple days in a row, the level of unburned fuel in the oil can incrementally increase each time, raising the oil level on the dipstick and, over the long term, potentially leading to misfires and other engine symptoms

How did Honda not even catch this issue during their testing. I believe simulation and testing in cold weather should be one their test cases
rahulskumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:53   #215
BHPian

And the other day we were after Msil India for the fiasco on turbo petrols, it’s very simple these manufactures are here to earn profits, we as an enthusiast hope someday maybe these manufacturers cater too few of us yes in terms of volumes we are regarded as ”few” isn't it having said that I still fell, manufacturers like Msil India who have volumes should really consider this niche segment as an opportunity
XRoader_001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 22:11   #216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Thank GOD they are not launching the tiny 1.0 L engine. The 1.5 iVtech NA is a gem. I will stick my neck and say this is the best petrol engine in its segment. Honda has had reliability issues with turbos in USA.
Gonna agree with you. This is the one time I am happy that Honda decided to stick to the old 1.5L i-VTEC motor. The 1.0L 3 cylinder turbo petrols are just not anywhere near as a good old 4 banger.

The City lives on.

For the Civic they should have gone for the 1.5L turbo and not the old 1.8L but for the City I wholeheartedly agree with the decision to get the 1.5L motor. It's one of their best motors.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 22:21   #217
BHPian

The 1.0L turbo engine in much heavier Civic does 0-100 in 10.4s before clocking 209 kmph. Astonishing numbers IMO. In lighter City, it would be even quicker.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 22:46   #218
Senior - BHPian

Turbo's are maintenance intensive and sensitive to driving styles and also not fuel efficient as their low engine volumes would have us believe. I'm glad Honda has stuck to the tired and tested 1.5 iVTEC and most possibly a mild hybrid system thrown in for some extra FE!
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 14:40   #219
BHPian

Indian market needs hybrids more than it needs turbos. Hybrids are much much required in our heavy bumper to bumper traffic and highly polluted cities.
pravint is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 20:06   #220
Senior - BHPian

It’s interesting that other European small capacity turbos dont have this sort of a problem , for example the VW TSI . Hard to believe that Honda or Suzuki cant make it work for the subcontinent. I have both the 1.2 Tsi and the City 1.5 NA, and do not find significant differences in their performance from say 20-80 kph ( mostly urban driving cycle). The VW is marginally more fuel efficient. But the City also feels equally tractable.In fact, the CVT feels a bit smoother than the DSG.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 5th December 2019 at 20:10.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 21:12   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Hybrids are much much required in our heavy bumper to bumper traffic and highly polluted cities.
I absolutely agree with you.
Honda should consider implementing a Mild Hybrid tech as the iVTEC is a heavy drinker.

I am really happy that they are sticking to the engine for which the City is famous for!
Old 6th December 2019, 05:25   #222
Senior - BHPian

Forget the 1.0 Honda, get the Hybrid. The current gen car had a hybrid version in Japan and China IIRC. https://www.motor1.com/news/51440/20...uced-in-japan/

My only worry is the price of the new Honda City. I hope the top end diesel of the next gen car doesn't cost 20 big ones.

Last edited by ampere : 6th December 2019 at 07:58. Reason: typo fixed
Old 6th December 2019, 09:30   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazaar25 View Post
I absolutely agree with you.
Honda should consider implementing a Mild Hybrid tech as the iVTEC is a heavy drinker.
Hybrid tech will certainly permeate the industry in the near future and is a welcome move from Honda to include it on the new City. Glad that Honda is continuing with the legendary iVTEC powerplant.

However, the City is definitely not a heavy drinker! I drive the manual version and get around 10- 11 kmpl in peak hour Bangalore traffic. On the highway, it is around 15-16 kmpl with smooth driving and short aggressive bouts in between. What greater fuel efficiency can one expect from an engine of this capability and power? While the IVTEC is not a fuel efficiency star, its definitely not a heavy drinker.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 15:02   #224
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! 5th-gen Honda City in side profile with LED headlights

Thanks to Pranav Awasthi for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-hondacityspyshot1.jpg

A test mule of the fifth generation Honda City has been spotted featuring full LED headlights. The spy images show the car's side profile.

The test car appears to have a clamshell bonnet and is riding on multi-spoke alloy wheels. It has blacked-out B-pillars and a coupe-like roofline with a shark fin antenna on top. In the second image, you can see Honda officials covering the test car.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-hondacityspyshot2.jpg

The new City is likely to get a 1.5-litre, naturally aspirated petrol engine instead of the 1.0-litre turbocharged unit that is being offered in Thailand. It has also been reported that the 1.5-litre engine could be re-tuned for better low-end torque, power and fuel economy. Transmission options are likely to include a 6-speed manual and a continuously variable transmission (CVT).

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 16:45   #225
BHPian

I understand the new City will be larger than the old one, atleast in length. Will the extra weight from extra dimensions make the car with 1.5L NA petrol a bit sluggish off the mark.

If the weight is going to be same then that's a bigger concern on build quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks