Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2019, 22:30   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Also, it only has 100bhp/130Nm, which is puny compared to the competition.

Jimny is a big name because of its offroad prowess. There is no point getting excited about it as a city SUV. It is going to be very basic compared to other compact SUV.
Yup agreed. I saw one last year when travelling and the interiors are like Alto.

For city use you will get a hard riding SUV with alto interiors but Ecosport and Brezza money.

Anyone looking for City office commute as a show car should look other way. lol.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 22:41   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You do realise this is a ladder frame chassis SUV sitting on solid axle suspension? The suspension differs from old time Jeeps in only one way, it has coil strings. Even the Thar has IFS. And the wheels are much smaller than the Thar. That means the ride is going to be hard compared to all the unibody compact SUVs that crowd our roads.

Also, it only has 100bhp/130Nm, which is puny compared to the competition.

Jimny is a big name because of its offroad prowess. There is no point getting excited about it as a city SUV. It is going to be very basic compared to other compact SUV.
Agree to all points except the highlighted one.

Even if Jimny is known for its offroad ability because of its ladder-frame chassis and 4wd, it's also a city suv because of its super compact dimensions. Note that this Jimny is selected as the world urban car 2019!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 19th August 2019 at 22:42.
romeomidhun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 22:46   #78
Senior - BHPian

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India? Nikkei says so

Quote:
You do realise this is a ladder frame chassis SUV sitting on solid axle suspension?

I did not know that. Thanks for the info.

I can now only put faith on Maruti to put Jimny frame on an Ignis body and sell it as an all new car (perhaps the city version of Jimny)!
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 08:44   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yup agreed. I saw one last year when travelling and the interiors are like Alto.

Anyone looking for City office commute as a show car should look other way. lol.

Here are some pics of the Jimny I had taken in Dubai in April.

It is an iconic little SUV. Boxy yes but solid. Perfect for the potholes and craters that we navigate daily in Indian cities.

Here is the article from LiveMint.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th August 2019 at 09:13. Reason: Image links fixed
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:40   #80
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And the wheels are much smaller than the Thar.
The TUV 300 comes to mind. This just looks smarter.

Hope they don't make it a FWD with the boring fuel efficiency focused drive trains on offer in India. Development and localization of the structure and AWD drivetrain is the biggest hurdle if they want to keep it affordable long term since its going to be something they might not be tooled for. Otherwise it will be like the DDiS 320 of the S-cross which was discontinued after the enthusiasts got one car each.
Old 20th August 2019, 12:11   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And the wheels are much smaller than the Thar.
Hmm, let me take that back. The tyres (195/80R15) are much narrower than Thar (235/70R16), which makes it better in mud and snow (like NDMS). Wider tyre will help on road and sand. The radius of the Jimny tyre is 13.6in vs Thar's 14.6in. That's just 1 inch difference.
Old 20th August 2019, 12:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

I am a bit excited honestly, hope they keep it 4x4 with good off roading capabilities so that 'aam junta' like me can dream of owning an exclusive car one day, power figures notwithstanding.

Think about it, except for the Thar which too costs a million Rupees, we don't have a car with aspirational value having better after sales support. The Gurkha too is a tad expensive.
NiInJa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 12:54   #83
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that just like Gypsy it will sell initially and then the demand will taper off to a steady 100 to 300 a month.

I hope that they keep the 4x4 drive train and just add four doors and an option for hardtop. As long as it is less than 4m and solidly built it would be ideal vehicle for two driving around on our potholed water logged roads.
If priced sensibly (around what Gypsy was selling) I will get one.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 18:06   #84
BHPian

In a way, aren't the roads (or so called roads) that many of us travel in on a daily basis, small off road trails? I currently stay in Bangalore and every single day I dread taking my Vento out on the roads (in and around Sarjapur). Come the slightest of rains and its even more madness with all the underpasses getting flooded, the potholes and manholes becoming inpossible to judge etc.

What would be ideal for me is a dependable, no nonsense, well priced SUV that can also serve as an only car for my nuclear family. The occasional road trips will also become more convenient considering the roads that we will have to deal with. The Jimny surely ticks a lot of boxes for me.
YakubKC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 18:50   #85
BHPian

Drive impressions of jimny by Siddhartha Patankar.

nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 23:38   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I am a bit excited honestly, hope they keep it 4x4 with good off roading capabilities so that 'aam junta' like me can dream of owning an exclusive car one day, power figures notwithstanding.

Think about it, except for the Thar which too costs a million Rupees, we don't have a car with aspirational value having better after sales support. The Gurkha too is a tad expensive.

I appreciate greatly what you said here.

At the end of the day we are all aam junta consumers and the manufacturers (if they wish to target, acquire and retain us) definitely need to give us what we want.

It is my earnest desire too, that the Maruti Lords leave the excellent little Jimny as is in terms of features and equipment, safety and capability and start for a change to drive the truly affordable/ democratised lifestyle and aspirational cues here through this.

Rather than create idiotic cosmetic upgrades and fob these off on the consumers as 'special developments'

If I were in Maruti I would create a 'specials' division and create and offer the discerning public, the properly performance oriented and functionally superior variants of the mass market vehicles.

The Jimny has a future here for sure.
Private buyers for an iconic worldwide hit.
Armed forces
Paramilitary forces
Police
Geology and Earth Science Department
Forest Department
Border Roads Organization
Tea Board
Coffee Board
Plantation Companies
Farm Production and Animal Husbandry organizations.
NGO's
Rural development organizations
And many other Governmental agencies as well.
Etc

Basically anyone who needs to tackle poor infra and bad roads and no road situations as a part of the daily rough and tumble at work.

The new Jimny is absolutely ideal as a no nonsense go anywhere vehicle.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1566324485.501799.jpg

Last edited by shankar.balan : 20th August 2019 at 23:39.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 09:21   #87
BHPian

If the Jimny was in the market today (with a sensible price of course), I would have definitely bought it. There is a dearth of proper 4x4s in the market today. Recently I attended a off road trail drive experience organized by Ford for the Endeavour and getting to know the various features and gizmos along with the proper 4x4 usage was quite an amazing experience but alas the price for such a car is prohibitive to say the least.

A Jimny priced under a million INR ex showroom will surely be an attractive proposition. I wouldn't expect napa leathers or beige interiors on it. I still own an Alto so an altoesque interior with android auto enabled touch screen is all I would need. I have been watching lot of Jimny related videos lately and one of these is at: the editing could be improved a bit but it was an interesting watch.

If launched soon probably it would also allow me to decide on an early retirement and move back to my place of birth sooner than expected to explore the trails, a long pending desire
Old 21st August 2019, 10:15   #88
Senior - BHPian

This is amazing news. Weren't all of us waiting for this for a long time? However, I wish MS India limited don't take out the soul of Jimny to make it India Specific. Indeed, 3-doors vehicles are not well accepted in India but then original Gypsy and Thar are exceptions. I don't see why a 3-door Jimny can't be added to the list of this exception.

Quote:
+1
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 10:56   #89

I have been a crazy fan of Gypsy my father had one when I was not allowed to drive but since then we sold it off and I have been craving one. If this was launched sometime soon this was a definite buy for me but can't wait till half of 2020 to get a car.
But I do agree with others here a 3-door version can definitely be added to the list of exceptions and be accepted in Indian market.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:52   #90
Senior - BHPian

A Jimny 5 door is a perfect for me. Features be damned. It will have all I ever need (Ac, ps, ht) from factory. The urge to book a Gypsy was high when the news broke about it being discontinued. But I had a feeling that Jimny would come and if it did I'd have trouble.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks