Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2022, 22:30   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
From your post relevant bits are you own a thar and you like butch looks. That's all everyone needs to know.
Jimny isn't for you. Its for people who are into serious off roading or want a very reliable 4x4, which it's predecessor the Gypsy set a high bar.
So thousands of the gypsy owners and the army, airforce see something that you don't.

The Jimny takes all the lessons learnt from the first gen LJ, second gen SJ(gypsy), third gen jimny and Suzuki have given the 4th gen jimny with all the best bits from older generation and added modern safety stuff.
And you seem to imply that the Thar is not a serious off roader?! Or that it is unreliable? Do you have empirical evidence to substantiate that the Thar is unreliable?. AS for the Gypsy being a great off roader, that was in the context of its peers. There are multiple videos on You tube that show the Gypsy struggling because of its weak engine, where other off roaders like the Fortuner, that crde etc came through.

But then, we are digressing from the topic here.

We can agree to disagree, my take is that if the Jimmy and Thar are priced similarly, Jimmy will have a tough time matching the Thar's sales. In pretty much ever aspect that an "average Joe" looks for, the that seems to trump the Jimmy. BTW, I have owned the Gypsy king in the past, so I do know a thing or two about its abilities.

MOD NOTE : Please capitalize wherever required.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th January 2022 at 08:54. Reason: Mod note attached.
himanshugoswami is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th January 2022, 22:53   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
We can agree to disagree, my take is that if the Jimmy and Thar are priced similarly, Jimmy will have a tough time matching the Thar's sales.
Might not be the case. Jimny will have Maruti's awesome all India reach to prop it up, along with the Gypsy's heritage which i think Maruti will use a lot to build up the product. But ultimately, everything will depend on the most important P that is Pricing

If they get a well equipped Jimny under 10 lakhs, i for one am ready to put money on the table for it because it wil have the user friendliness of a daily driver, along with the occasional off road trip, all with the peace of mind that only a Maruti can offer!

Last edited by Sheel : 19th January 2022 at 08:55. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
achyutaghosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 07:39   #828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
The Chinese GWM are developing yet another copycat. This time it's the Jimny. They have named it as the Tank 100. Although yet not fully confirmed, it's touted to get 200+ HPs.--
It is Fake News.

This GWM Tank 100 has everyone fooled.

Quote:
We reached out to our colleagues from China, who said that these images are merely a render and have been floating on the interweb since last year.
Quote:
Someone has clearly took images of the current-generation Suzuki Jimny and grafted on Tank’s family look. Definitely an impressive job, seeing that they managed to fool a number of media outlets.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 08:35   #829
BHPian

Quote:
We can agree to disagree, my take is that if the Jimmy and Thar are priced similarly, Jimmy will have a tough time matching the Thar's sales. In pretty much ever aspect that an "average Joe" looks for, the that seems to trump the Jimmy.
Well, an average joe also looks for refinement, reliability, peace of mind, fuel efficiency and practicality! And on that front, the Jimny 5 door will easily get attention of the public. Also, with that Suzuki badge and 5 doors, convincing the family won't be an issue either. And not to forget Mahindra's amazingly long waiting period! Knowing Maruti, they will definitely not mess up the production unlike Mahindra, lending another advantage to the Jimny.

Going slightly off-topic here-

Quote:
AS for the Gypsy being a great off roader, that was in the context of its peers. there are multiple videos on You tube that show the Gypsy struggling because of its weak engine, where other off roaders like the Fortuner, thar crde etc came through.
I am not able to convince myself how did you conclude that the Gypsy has a weak engine! Here is a video where a 2020 Thar with a "superior" and "modern" 130hp engine is not able to climb an incline that has been tamed by a couple of Gypsys and Boleros, both of which come with "weak" and "old" engines!

Clearly, the Gypsy does not have a weak engine and the fails are mostly due to errors of the drivers! Though there might be a problem with the new "modern" Thar as both the lightweight and heavyweight offroad favourites climbed the incline but the new Thar could not, despite getting a more powerful and modern unit.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th January 2022 at 08:55. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
theAutomaniac is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2022, 12:04   #830
BANNED

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th January 2022 at 07:41.
aim120 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th January 2022, 23:31   #831
BHPian

I managed to track down the NATS website and was going through their lineup when I found the Mater Tow Truck. Amazing its based on a Suzuki Jimny as such its not the only NATS Jimny on display at Auto Salon.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-screenshot-nats.png
Black_Star is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2022, 11:22   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AS for the Gypsy being a great off roader, that was in the context of its peers. There are multiple videos on You tube that show the Gypsy struggling because of its weak engine, where other off roaders like the Fortuner, that crde etc came through.

MOD NOTE : Please capitalize wherever required.
Getting stuck on a trail or struggling on inclines is more of a driver malfunction than vehicle shortcoming. That said good low end torque is what helps in these conditions.

The forte of old school diesels was its low end torque. That suffered a lot on the modern CRDE engines. The reason is that CRDE is mostly tuned for high speed highway performance at the cost of low end torque (after all most users spend 80%+ time on highways).

In contrast Gypsy and now Jimny have adequate low end torque to cope up with most situations. The lower weight also helps on steep inclines and loose ground where a heavier vehicle tend to bog down.

The so called "low HP" diesels - 40-60HP always had a tremendous low end torque, that is why older Mahindra Jeeps and Bolero can traverse where modern CRDE engine vehicle struggles.

Last edited by Aroy : 20th January 2022 at 11:23.
Aroy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 17:47   #833
BHPian

My mate asked me to post here. He has not been admitted to the group.

Hello everybody, i'm glad to see all the expectation for the new Jimny long body and 5 door, but i think there's something you're missing here

The "new Jimny" Will not be the first one With 5 Doors, or a 3 door long body With metal top

30 years ago the old Jimny 2 / samurai / gypsy /Caribbean / drover...... (you know it got a lot of names) got a long body too, With Canvas and Fiber hard top, in Japan, in india, in Europe, and south América, (last 2 places got the diesel and turbodiesel made in Spain too)

But, in indonesia and around, made by Suzuki indomobil, there was versions made With the other metal roofs, 3 door low roof, 3 door high roof, and the "Suzuki jimny katana corsica 5 pintu" With 5 doors, high roof, 1000cc 45hp engine and ONLY rear wheel Drive (no 4x4 available in this version) that was the "original" 5 door Jimny, and the original 3 door metal top

So i'd like to say, to all those Who say, "it's a lifestyle vehicle" "never Been a 5 door before", "is not a car for work".....

Sir, you're completely wrong!!!! Even It got pick Up truck and chassis cab versions from the Factory in some markets!!!

Let's Hope Suzuki come back to the good old times, and this actual Jimny 4 becomes even more popular and succesful than his old grandpa, Who we all love and respect.
wacso is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 23:45   #834
BHPian

As I cannot edit my previous post, I will show what I mean in this post.

This is the first 5-door Jimny.

Name:  1952BCBD943452A5CCCC3052A5CB33.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  59.1 KB

Name:  suzukijimnykatanacorsicalongfourdoorrenderinglooksridiculousyetcute_3.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  suzukijimnykatanacorsicalongfourdoorrenderinglooksridiculousyetcute_4.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  32.9 KB

Name:  suzukijimnykatanacorsicalongfourdoorrenderinglooksridiculousyetcute_5.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  52.6 KB

Notice in the next pic, the car only got a single gear lever and not the smaller 4wd transfer lever. So, it's only RWD and gets the 1,000cc engine with 45 BHP.

Name:  suzukijimnykatanacorsicalongfourdoorrenderinglooksridiculousyetcute_6.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  59.5 KB

In my opinion, if the new 5-door Jimny looks like the 3-door Jimny, like one of these looks like the Gypsy/Samurai, I'm pretty sure I'll get one if the price is right.

Keep in mind that a 3-door Jimny is 3.5 metres in length, like a Samurai short wheelbase. A Gypsy/Samurai long wheelbase is 4.08 metres in length (spare wheel included).

If we believe in the leaks of not too long ago, the car will be 3.80 metres in length. So it will be a 28 mm difference compared to a gypsy. The question here is, "Is the 3,80 metres with, or without the spare wheel?"

If it's "with", I think the car will be very, very short in length. If it's "without", things can be close to a gypsy, depending on how far outside the bumpers positioned.

Have in mind for a moment that in the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, in America, the front bumper is short and very offroad oriented. But in Europe, it is ridiculously long, due to crash regulations.

So, what will it be? What do you all think? What will Maruti masterminds bring to us?

Last edited by Aditya : 31st January 2022 at 17:37. Reason: Non-forum characters deleted; grammar
wacso is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 14:57   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

The forte of old school diesels was its low end torque. That suffered a lot on the modern CRDE engines. The reason is that CRDE is mostly tuned for high speed highway performance at the cost of low end torque (after all most users spend 80%+ time on highways).
Thanks ! That explains, why I used to enjoy the low-end torque of the earlier 2.6 Turbo Scorpio (2003) as compared to the new CRDE Scorpio.

Anyways a +1 to the waiting list for the "new" Jimny.

Last edited by AutoSphere : 24th January 2022 at 15:01. Reason: Missed out some info
Old 24th January 2022, 17:19   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
Thanks ! That explains, why I used to enjoy the low-end torque of the earlier 2.6 Turbo Scorpio (2003) as compared to the new CRDE Scorpio.

Anyways a +1 to the waiting list for the "new" Jimny.
Actually the "older" DI diesels had about 40HP but were excellent at low RPM climbs and enough torque to tow trucks.

What most forget is that when you are stuck either in mud or on an incline you will be maneuvering at very low RPM, and it is torque which is needed and not high RPM HP.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 12:53   #837
BHPian

While we are speculating, here's another LHD Jimny (export, I guess) at Mumbai port. See how it looks next to the new Swift.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_20220209_123019_1.jpg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-img_20220209_123015.jpg  

anilp is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 11:45   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Source: https://www.carblogindia.com/indian-suzuki-jimny-look/

Is it the 5-door Jimny or just another rendering?

Seems like a transformation retaining the charm of the original look.
Another rendering of 5-door Maruti Suzuki Jimny from the front.

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-2021-maruti-suzuki-gypsy-rendered.png

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd February 2022 at 07:45. Reason: Strictly no business promotion please!
Old 27th February 2022, 19:11   #839
naj
BANNED

Hello ,
Little OT . Currently I am in Japan and I am seeing Jimny very popular with Young Married couples. The cars in Japan are small . IMHO they resemble like bathroom fittings,cute and functional ,Pink and what not .

With all that is said about Jimny and its comparison with Thar or Gurkha is completely unfair as its a Japanese car to fit Japanese environment of small is beautiful and their rural roads. Its a product by itself and not trying to compare itself with Wrangler or a Thar. We are forcing it actually .I think we should leave it as it is ,as an product made for Japanese in Japan .
Dimensions are Wagon R-ish .

If they would like to share with us ,we are fortunate enough.
And regarding my interaction with Owners of Jimny in Jingish (Japanese English with Google translate) - They said the car gives them freedom and gives them an ego booster. They also said there are lot of mods which are available and its a great car for youngsters ( Young at heart for us ). To understand Jimny one needs to be Japan. It does not try to be Wrangler killer but tries to offer a solution in the Japanese quest for a SUV fitting in their own ecosystem and there are a very few Wranglers here.

PS: I am sorry my views may not align with the general sentiment of the thread as an outsider (Israeli).I am seeing this top down and NOT bottom up. No religion here but rather Cultural.
Thanks Folks !
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-whatsapp-image-20220227-17.48.49.jpeg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-whatsapp-image-20220227-17.48.49-2.jpeg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-whatsapp-image-20220227-17.48.49-3.jpeg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-whatsapp-image-20220227-17.48.49-4.jpeg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-whatsapp-image-20220227-17.48.49-5.jpeg  

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-whatsapp-image-20220227-17.48.49.jpeg  

Last edited by naj : 27th February 2022 at 19:27.
naj is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 19:36   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Dimensions are Wagon R-ish .
If this is the way it is, Jimny is a perfect car for tier 2 and 3 cities with narrow roads and lanes and bylanes. I really want Maruti to launch it soon. I'm looking for a replacement for my Wagon R and would love to have this small, nifty car in my garage.
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks