Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2022, 21:25   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: India-bound Jeep 7-seater SUV, named Meridian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
The Commander in Brazil doesn't get AC vents for the 3rd row, even 2nd row AC vents are not on the roof but on the floor exactly like the Compass, I hope Jeep India doesn't offer black interiors for the Meridian, otherwise passengers will boil in the last row!

Since the Meridian will be Made in India, I hope Jeep India have tried to incorporate the 3rd row AC vents. I am planning to sell my Fortuner anytime this year, Meridian would've been a nice choice but without 3rd row AC vents it'll be a tough buy, other than the Fortuner, Innova and Carnival I don't see any other options in the market.

Even the Kodiaq doesn't get 3rd row AC vents, now the Commander as well, then why are they providing 7 seats?!

8:40 in the video:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=3qZKUsV7tQI
Good to see the Made-in-India Meridian getting 3rd row AC Vents (3rd row dedicated AC evacuator unit in Jeep's terms).

Best-in-class term used is pretty misleading for competitor 1 and 2

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 29th March 2022 at 21:27.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 21:26   #407
BHPian

Saw this on YouTube gives a glimpse of the car, nothing new if you have already watched the Commander vids.

TurbochargedT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 21:27   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Does someone have neat infographic for other 6-7 seater cars that show the 2nd and 3rd row legroom space in mms?

I am not able to find such specific information and I really doubt if its better than Innova? Though its silly comparing this vehicle with Innova or Carens.
IMHO Jeep seven seater will also get compared with Innova Crysta by default since the specifications are mentioned as best in class and as per my experience Innova Crysta is the best MPV so far in our market. But let’s not forget many of us here also did not like XUV700 till it launched and suddenly there was a change of opinions.

On a lighter note, Might help Toyota India to handle increased sales

Time will answer; let’s keep guessing.

Cheers.

Last edited by Guru_Shikhar : 29th March 2022 at 21:31.
Old 29th March 2022, 21:30   #409

Some differences which I could make out, between the Brazilian Commander and Indian Meridian apart from the minor exterior (front bumpers) and interior (layout of the AirCon panel, seat upholstery etc.) changes are:

- 9 Alpine speakers in Meridian vs 10 Harman Kardon speakers in Commander
- 18' alloys offered in Merdian vs 19' alloys in highest trims of Commander.
- 6 airbags in Meridan vs 7 airbags (including knee) in Commander.
- 3rd row AC vents in Meridian vs no 3rd row AC vents in Commander.
- Reclining 3rd row seats in Meridian vs non-reclining 3rd row seats in Commander.

There could be more which I probably missed out on.

A lot of other features like connectivity, convenience and safety are exactly the same in Brazilian and Indian variants as far as I can tell. Kudos to Jeep for not cutting down heavily on the features list for the Indian variant.

As for the engine, 2.0 L Turbo Diesel engine producing just 170 PS of power and 350 NM of torque (per the graph officially put out by Jeep India) for a car weighing ~1900 kgs is a bit underwhelming in my opinion. If I'm not wrong its the same engine as the compass whose kerb weight is around ~1500 kgs. Acceleration from 0-100 kmph takes 10.8 secs for Meridian. Compare this with the 4x4 variant of the Brazilian commander equipped with a more powerful engine producing 380 NM of torque (instead of 350 NM) which accelerates from 0-100 kmph in 11.6 seconds. I wonder if the Meridian is lighter than the Commander? Also intriguing is the fact that AWD in the Meridian is confirmed but there has been no word on a 4x4 variant like in the Brazilian Commander.

Moreover there is no clarity whether AT variant of Jeep Meridian would come with paddle shifters. Tried zooming in on some of the pictures of the steering wheel to make out whether paddle shifters are present but couldn't find anything conclusive.

Anyhow i feel that with plush interiors, latest connectivity features, panoramic sunroof, 60+ safety features, more spacious 3rd row seating, limited off-roading capability, a trusted american brand etc. this car could give serious competition to the likes of Fortuner & Kodiaq if priced right. Eagerly looking forward to the in-depth reviews of this car.
TheSchwantz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 21:31   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
See the screenshot and look at the power/torque curve. You can see 170PS on the Y axis.
Thats a good observation. Indeed it is going to be 170 PS version same as Compass.
If it was a 200 BHP engine they would have definitely highlighted that instead of hiding it in the details like now.

A 200 BHP engine would have definitely persuaded few Fortuner buyers to look at this. Honestly 170 bhp is less for the price range it is going to be launched, mainly considering it is not a fast one even in regular Compass.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 22:01   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjaygoyal View Post
The cars may be feature rich but they must be exciting to drive. That’s a basic thing which most manufacturers are ignoring.

I am holding firm to my XUV 700 booking. Definitely seems a better overall package.

Same here; I own the XUV500 since 2013 and actually want to upgrade to a 4x4 or AWD 7-seater diesel. The family is not interested in the Fortuner, the Alturas is dying, Endeavor is out of the picture. Half-heartedly booked the XUV700 AXL AWD and my allotment is due for May 2023.

I would have gone for the Meridian had it been offered with 190-198 BHP tune. As mentioned rightly by someone, the Compass is so overwhelmingly unexciting to drive (no offence please). Don't know the logic behind placing the same mill in a much heavier vehicle. Disappointed.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 29th March 2022 at 22:05.
sandeepmdas is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 22:25   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

Same here; I own the XUV500 since 2013 and actually want to upgrade to a 4x4 or AWD 7-seater diesel. The family is not interested in the Fortuner, the Alturas is dying, Endeavor is out of the picture. Half-heartedly booked the XUV700 AXL AWD and my allotment is due for May 2023.

I would have gone for the Meridian had it been offered with 190-198 BHP tune. As mentioned rightly by someone, the Compass is so overwhelmingly unexciting to drive (no offence please). Don't know the logic behind placing the same mill in a much heavier vehicle. Disappointed.
Why don't you consider the Kodiaq ?
Old 29th March 2022, 22:26   #413
BHPian

Enclosing the brochure for Jeep Meridian
Attached Files
File Type: pdf All New 2022 Jeep®️ MERIDIAN.pdf (3.65 MB, 572 views)
spkrnh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 22:34   #414
BANNED

These discussions on 170PS and 350Nm being 'insufficient' is the result of the age old classical tactic used by marketing dept of car companies - just give them engine numbers. The engine numbers dont mean anything, unless we see the gearing numbers. Whilst the 170PS and the drag coefficient and projected frontal area of the car can be used to derive the top speed of the car, pretty much nothing can be understood otherwise, about 'driveability' without knowledge of the gearing.

For example, without even knowing the actual ratio numbers, we can confidently say that the 9AT will provide a much flatter 'torque at wheels' curve than the 6MT. Moreover, we can also confidently say that the 9AT AWD will provide the best traction, because it has twice the contact patch with the terrain.

What matters is the 'torque at wheels' , engine curves don't mean anything (unless top speed on highway is the only data that matters to you) without gearbox data. So before claiming car A is better than car B purely by comparing some engine spec numbers, test drive them. There is no better determinant of driveability than the human sensory organs absorbing all the sensations from the driving seat whilst actually "driving".

Last edited by venkyhere : 29th March 2022 at 22:36.
venkyhere is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 02:58   #415
BHPian

It is now confirmed that the Meridian for India does not get ADAS and almost certain that it does not get Paddle shifters.

What it does get is a pair of additional child seats and slightly more premium touch and feel for the interiors and nothing more over the Compass.

As for performance, the state of tune would result in a similar feel to the Compass which is around 200kgs lighter (1700kg vs 1900kg).

Any price above Rs 150000 for the Top end variant over the Compass Model S is poor value. But that may not be the case, as the Compass Trailhawk would be at the same price point. It would be safe to assume that the asking price from Jeep would be Rs 250000 to Rs 300000 over the Compass Model S. This is a lakh to a lakh and a half overpriced with respect to the Compass.

The desirability of this car then would depend on whether
1. The 3rd row is at least as usable as the Kia Carens
2. The Interiors are at least perceived as substantially more upmarket than the Compass model S to justify the overpricing
3. The performance is at least as good as the Compass' 9 speed AT.

On a side note, it looks like it would be good to wait for the Tucson Diesel. The car for India with a higher power to weight ratio and ADAS would just make for a better buy if Hyundai prices the car well.

As a pre-facelift Compass Limited 4x4 owner who is looking for a replacement, preferably within the Jeep Family, since my current car has kept me very happy, though it is now outdated as for as features go, I must say I am disappointed with the Meridian. Since the 2021 Compass brought so much more of an upgrade over the older version, I naturally expected the Meridian too to be substantially better kitted out than the Compass, considering the Brazilian Commander has paddle shifters and ADAS. Disappointing indeed.
igp_79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 08:29   #416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
These discussions on 170PS and 350Nm being 'insufficient' is the result of the age old classical tactic used by marketing dept of car companies - just give them engine numbers. The engine numbers dont mean anything, unless we see the gearing numbers. Whilst the 170PS and the drag coefficient and projected frontal area of the car can be used to derive the top speed of the car, pretty much nothing can be understood otherwise, about 'driveability' without knowledge of the gearing.

For example, without even knowing the actual ratio numbers, we can confidently say that the 9AT will provide a much flatter 'torque at wheels' curve than the 6MT. Moreover, we can also confidently say that the 9AT AWD will provide the best traction, because it has twice the contact patch with the terrain.
But we already know the drivability and the gearing of the same engine and gearbox in a smaller lighter weight car.

The 9 speed AT in the regular compass is slow and nothing great in response. Moreover the additional ratios result in more hunting where the gearbox goes up and down a lot more.

When you put the same engine and gearbox in a much heavier and bigger car, you can logically deduce that the performance is going to be a little blunt. The only offset is that the Meridian will not have the additional AWD system.

The gearbox won't have different gear ratios just maybe a different final drive and different tune.

So far Jeep has updated the 9AT from the initial trailhawk to the facelift by different tuning and it has made a slight difference from a 5/10 to a 7/10 as GTO mentioned.

Jeep isn't doing something revolutionary with the engine and gearbox as the power figures are same on paper. Moreover the 0-100 km/hr of 10.8s is 1 second slower than the now discontinued 150PS Skoda Kodiaq 2.0L TDI with 7 speed DSG.

It's pretty obvious given the above that the Meridian will have decent performance but may not be blistering quick. The Fortuner has 200PS but a heavier ladder frame construction with a slow 6 speed AT. It doesn't have the outright acceleration but the grunt from the 2.8L motor is insane at slow speeds.
Vid6639 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 10:20   #417
BHPian

I was eagerly waiting for this hoping for better performance and more importantly paddle shifters with occasionally usable 3 rd row with AC. It seems I may have to pass on Merdian and reconsider Kodiaq or hold on to my XUV700 booking which is slated for Oct 2022 delivery :(
Old 30th March 2022, 10:45   #418
Team-BHP Support

I’m still going to wait to see it in the flesh and also drive it but its disappointed me a bit on multiple points. No paddle shifters and questionable performance with the same Compass spec engine being the two biggest sore points.

At the very least, it makes me pause and instead of considering buying it at launch, I’ll be much more inclined to wait out the year and see how the Tucson seems in comparison as well as assess what “strong hybrid” options may be coming in the foreseeable future.

Fortunately, my requirement for a vehicle is still more in the “want” than “need” bucket so I can kind of afford to play the waiting game too.
Axe77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 11:11   #419
BHPian

I had booked both the Kodiaq and Meridian, but will most likely go ahead with the Kodiaq, Meridian doesn't seem to have the want feeling for me in terms of luxury over the Kodiaq. It ticks the boxes but its a bit disappointing to see an extended Compass (I did expect this to be the case). I wish they had more differentiating factors. Kodiaq scores higher in terms of looks and interiors (I think this might have people divided).

The SA kept informing me that they are eyeing the Fortuner with this car and pricing will be in that territory. He mentioned 50L (on road, I guess top variant) at one point. I wouldn't be surprised this to be the case considering Compass has a price range from 20L-33L.

Also, am I the only one surprised that they seemed to have shown renders and not a single actual picture of the vehicle?

Last edited by kartavya : 30th March 2022 at 11:38.
kartavya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 11:26   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbochargedT View Post
Why don't you consider the Kodiaq ?
OT
Need diesel; this is as an absolute must for my usage pattern. I was not in a position to buy the pre-BS4 Kodiaq when it was available, and in fact I thought the Kodiaq will be relaunched with a BS6 diesel engine. My mistake!

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 30th March 2022 at 11:41.
sandeepmdas is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks