Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 15:54   #376
BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
So, the above post pretty much confirms that we won't be getting the LED headlight treatment. Ah, such a disappointment.

I guess LED headlights and ventilated seats are being reserved for the face-lift or being reserved as a weapon which shall be displayed only when the next-gen Baleno gets launched.
Surely disappointing which otherwise seems to be a well loaded package.
Only reason I can think is to avoid breaching the 10 lac ex-showroom sticker price, considering the engine is a turbo-charged unit with a superior DCT transmission.

Also, the % of public wanting the sunroof would well exceed to those who care about a LED headlight.
Striker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 17:53   #377
Team-BHP Support

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

From the international spec -

1.0 TGDi 7DCT with 120ps has a claimed 0-100 timing of 10.3 seconds.

Boot space is at Jazz levels now, at 351 litres. Even better because there is a Bose subwoofer in there as well.

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-allnewi20interiorboot_4x3.jpeg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st October 2020 at 18:02.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 18:07   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Boot space is at Jazz levels now, at 351 litres. Even better because there is a Bose subwoofer in there as well.
I wonder what would have happened to the Indian spec model as it will be shorter by few centimeters to bring it under 4 meters.
Old 21st October 2020, 18:19   #379
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Anurag Mishra for sending this video in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

ChiragM is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 20:08   #380
BHPian

Exteriors :

This is an otherwise nice design marred by 2 glaring design faux-pas, at least in my eyes.

1. The round projector headlamps kills the entire front end look. From head-on, the face seems like a hissing snake - with the grill being its mouth and the now round projectors its eyes! Can't unsee it anymore, args!

2. The rear-end is done with the absolutely out-of-place, garish chrome strip. The european version was not everyone's cup of tea I guess. But now, even more people dislike it. May be, they will find some eyes who sees beauty in chrome.

The side profile is the best viewing angle - has a nice front-forward, dynamic silhouette.

The highest selling color will definitely be the white, gives a nice contrast.

Interiors :

I will hold my thoughts on the interior. But yes, I understand the popular mood of finding the interiors bland/dull/boring/uninspiring. I think this is not what we are used to see in Hyundai cars in India, they always raise the game when it comes to interior - but not this time. That's sad, because i20 was always kind of a pioneer in internal design.

I think this i20 was designed in Germany and the understated looks is coming from there. But then, why change the black-beige combination - at least that would have lightened up the design.

Imaginably, the India design team discussions were like below -
Manager - hey guys, we need to add some india-specific design changes to the upcoming i20. We can't just blindly release the European version here.

Designer 1 - everybody says black interiors are sporty. Let's make the interior full-back. It will automatically make it look like a hot-hatch, even with the 1.2NA engine.

Manager - that's a good idea ONE. We should do some change to exteriors too.

Designer 2 - we have an oversupply of chrome, I hear from the inventory department. let's add a strip to the rear-end.

Manager - let's get going then. Brownie points to TWO.

Last edited by cuboid : 21st October 2020 at 20:09.
cuboid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 21:57   #381
BHPian

So based on some leaked images, searched the VIN, and voila, found everything that people need to know.

1.0 TGDi engine is called Kappa 10, the car is an Asta/Asta (O) variant and gets LED tail lights, ESP/Traction Control, Hill Start Assist/Hill Hold Control, Wireless Charging, Sunroof (everyone's darling nowadays), Cruise Control, 6 Airbags, Automatic Climate Control with Eco Coating, Tilt and Telescopic Steering Wheel, etc.

Apparently, the production date is shown as October 07, 2020, which is well before anyone had speculated, apart from some industry insiders.

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-make.png

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-cruise-control.png

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-6-airbags.png

This particular car is mated to a 7-Speed DCT, and inexplicably, misses out on Auto-Dimming IRVM and Paddle Shifters. Unavailability of the former was expected, since the Venue doesn't get it either, however, the lack of paddle shifters is baffling. Maybe, both these features are reserved for an update next year?

The car is loaded to the gills with features, and I will reiterate what I said in my earlier post, all of this will be a big draw for the masses. Eagerly waiting to check the car out in person.
Utsav3010 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:17   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsav3010 View Post
So based on some leaked images, searched the VIN, and voila, found everything that people need to know.

1.0 TGDi engine is called Kappa 10, the car is an Asta/Asta (O) variant and gets LED tail lights, ESP/Traction Control, Hill Start Assist/Hill Hold Control, Wireless Charging, Sunroof (everyone's darling nowadays), Cruise Control, 6 Airbags, Automatic Climate Control with Eco Coating, Tilt and Telescopic Steering Wheel, etc.

Apparently, the production date is shown as October 07, 2020, which is well before anyone had speculated, apart from some industry insiders.

Attachment 2070664

Attachment 2070665

Attachment 2070663

This particular car is mated to a 7-Speed DCT, and inexplicably, misses out on Auto-Dimming IRVM and Paddle Shifters. Unavailability of the former was expected, since the Venue doesn't get it either, however, the lack of paddle shifters is baffling. Maybe, both these features are reserved for an update next year?

The car is loaded to the gills with features, and I will reiterate what I said in my earlier post, all of this will be a big draw for the masses. Eagerly waiting to check the car out in person.
This VIN seems to be have TPMS. Will it be a first for a hatchback in India?
jacob.thomas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:03   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai India, get this:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/fir...1bhp-hot-hatch

Do a vRS 230 & price it reasonably.
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:31   #384
BHPian

As an existing owner of the current i20, I have been very satisfied with the ownership experience over the years. Am prospectively looking at the new i20 as a new addition to our garage for my brother.

Am concerned or to be honest, scared about the braking issues reported on the Kia Seltos/Creta and am unsure if the Sonet/new i20 will add up too since a lot of part sharing happens between the models. This surely is a life threatening issue.

As much as I fancy features like sunroof, Bose audio system and all other features that are loaded into current gen cars; I still prioritize efficiency of core components and functionality of the ABC pedals over the rest.

I would kindly request the expert TBHP community to provide their valuable inputs and shed some light which could go a long way in ensuring the right decision is made.
Atom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:07   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob.thomas View Post
This VIN seems to be have TPMS. Will it be a first for a hatchback in India?
This could be very much possible, since I cannot recall any other hatch getting this feature. But if you like calling small crossovers as raised hatches, there are plenty of them with TPMS

But yes, third-gen i20, in all probability, will be the first hatchback to have TPMS.
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:14   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post

Am concerned or to be honest, scared about the braking issues reported on the Kia Seltos/Creta and am unsure if the Sonet/new i20 will add up too
Very true. The only thing stopping me from booking one is the reported brake issue. It's scary to be honest. Any clarification on this will be helpful.
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:33   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Dealers from Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai confirmed that the car would go on sale in the country by the first week of November.

Mumbai and Delhi are accepting unofficial bookings for the 2020 Hyundai i20 for a token amount of Rs. 25,000, While dealerships in Chennai are taking pre-bookings at Rs. 10,000. The booking amount is fully refundable.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/new-...-month-2313654

Last edited by Venkatesh : 22nd October 2020 at 10:46.
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:45   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Dealers from Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai confirmed that the car would go on sale in the country by the first week of November.

Mumbai and Delhi are accepting unofficial bookings for the 2020 Hyundai i20 for a token amount of Rs. 25,000, While dealerships in Chennai are taking pre-bookings at Rs. 10,000
The booking amount is fully refundable.
Strange! I called the dealership in Thane and they said that they don't have a clue about the launch date. It would take a minimum of 1-1.5 months more and they are not taking any booking request at present.
Old 22nd October 2020, 10:45   #389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGT View Post
Very true. The only thing stopping me from booking one is the reported brake issue. It's scary to be honest. Any clarification on this will be helpful.
Braking issue is seen only with the Creta and Seltos, as of now. No complaints on other models.

BUT - one issue common in other models as well is the ABS sensors that fail frequently. On my Punto - I'm running on stock ABS sensors at 195k kms, and on the Xcent - Hyundai thinks it is absolutely normal to have replaced two rear sensors (and warning lamp is ON again!!!) in just 25k kms.

The stupid sensor fails as if it knows warranty period is over, especially monsoon period.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 16:49   #390
BHPian

So, Finally booked new i20 at Trident Hyundai, Airport Road, Bangalore.
10k booking amount on official receipt. I am 15th on list. Sales guy was upfront regarding insurance mandatory from Dealership. After checking all features of Hyundai insurance, discussion and deliberation, agreed on this point.
Sales person was confident of launch towards end of October.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks