Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2020, 00:54   #181

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-hy.jpeg

Interesting to see hints of the CVT being offered with the 1.2L NA petrol - the Venue does not have this combination and hence I wonder how likely this is for the i20.

Even if it is offered, my hunch is it will only be for the entry level trims and for higher trims it should be the DCT that is offered.

I am eagerly awaiting the new i20 and its one of the cars in contention for my next purchase. But since 80% of my driving will be in b2b Bengaluru traffic, I am a bit apprehensive about the heating issues being discussed of the DCT gearbox. Any hints from fellow Bengaluru BHPians with a Venue or Seltos DCT on their experience?

Last edited by SDP : 28th May 2020 at 08:39. Reason: Fixed attachment issue
colonelK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 07:58   #182
Senior - BHPian

re: Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelK View Post
Attachment 2002158

Interesting to see hints of the CVT being offered with the 1.2L NA petrol - the Venue does not have this combination and hence I wonder how likely this is for the i20.

Even if it is offered, my hunch is it will only be for the entry level trims and for higher trims it should be the DCT that is offered.
i20 CVT was available with 1.2 Petrol Engine, it was discontinued in February this year, when Hyundai launched BS6 i20 only in Manual Avatar.
Because Venue had DCT Option in 1.0 Turbo Petrol, CVT wasn't offered.

Hyundai will be offering same 1.0 Turbo Petrol with DCT in new i20. I don't think Hyundai will offer CVT for base variants and DCT for top spec, it'll just be manual standard across the range while top but one below available in DCT with some features missing as compared to manual.

If Hyundai manages to offer same lineup as Venue, I wouldn't be surprised because the i20 will be based on superior platform compared to Venue.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 28th May 2020 at 08:10.
CarguyNish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 19:56   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai i20 roaming again in the streets of S Korea!

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-2020hyundaii20rearquartersspyphoto66b7.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th May 2020 at 19:57.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 08:10   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Next-Gen Hyundai i20 restarts its testing in India:

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-newgen2021hyundaii20spiedindiahalogen2.jpg
Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-newgen2021hyundaii20spiedindiahalogen3.jpg
Quote:
the car has been spied testing in Delhi recently. The variant on test in the images, is wearing halogen headlamps, instead of the LED headlamps

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th June 2020 at 08:13.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 19:31   #185
BHPian

The design language followed by Hyundai in this case (as well as for its latest generation of cars) is surely polarizing and will divide the opinions. I for one do not like the front face of the new generation Creta. And once the car is placed beside the Seltos, the feeling strengthens.
However, the design of the 2020 i20 is quite appealing to me. The looks are sharp and futuristic and will surely turn heads. I am in the market for a new car and the i20 with the GDi+DCT combo will surely be in my list. Frankly, I can't wait for this car to be released. Just hoping that Hyundai provides this combo in the topmost trim and doesn't repeat what they did in the Venue.
SansGT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 20:13   #186
Senior - BHPian

The Altroz interior looks ordinary compared to what is being offered here. Ofcourse, one will have to compare the top-specs of both against each other, but going by past Hyundai offers they will not water down the interior for India especially for those preparing to pay for the SX (O) variant.

That square-shaped, Tata Ace-esque speedometer of the Altroz looks absolutely hideous. Compared to that, this actually feels a generation ahead.

Last edited by avishar : 28th June 2020 at 20:16.
avishar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 18:35   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Speculated to be the top end variant, the NEW i20 spied again:

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-new2020hyundaii20rearspiedtesting.jpg

Third-gen Hyundai i20 spotted testing in Chennai. Edit: Launched at 6.79 lakhs-new2020hyundaii20spiedtestingfront.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th June 2020 at 18:37.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 19:39   #188
BHPian

I have always liked i20 as a product which gave Indian hatchback buyer a decent option compared to Maruti, which sucked for decades, in that sense. Swift is a cramped vehicle. i20 is a mature hatch, saloon like space inside but without a saloon like boot. Looking at this new gen, I really like the design which is very European. 10 inch screen! OMG that is really big for even a C segment Saloon! Hope at least in this iteration i20's highway riding stability further improved. I drove first gen i20 in the Gulf it was a hoot to drive with 1.4 liter TC Automatic. It had 15 inch or 16inch wheels which gave big confidence in the 100+kmph speeds. I really wish Hyundai give similar specs in India as well. I would like to have the 1.0 turbo as my second car for sure any day!
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 19:54   #189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Swift is a cramped vehicle. i20 is a mature hatch

Swift is for people who want a reasonably priced, slightly sporty hatch, and are a very VERY rarely going to use the rear seats.

The i20 is for one car families, who need the space. The i20 has a pathetic 1.2 petrol, and boat like handling.
turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 20:16   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo View Post
Swift is for people who want a reasonably priced, slightly sporty hatch, and are a very VERY rarely going to use the rear seats.

You must be kidding. Such strict delineate-ing does not exist among the average Indian car buyer, particularly in this segment. I think only a minuscle number of Swift buyers buy it because it is sporty, for the rest it is a natural upgrade from their first car which is probably an A-segment Maruti. All those 20000 Alto owners/per month 5-10 years back are upgrading. It is a good looking, modern, fairly well-equiped Maruti hatchback with great engines and easy servicing.

Maruti does not sell 15-20K Swifts every month to be the sporty option 2nd or the 3rd car in a garage, the vast majority of them do duties as the primary car of the garage. A Swift is still a premium and a proud acquisition for many, many families.
avishar is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 20:28   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
You must be kidding. Such strict delineate-ing does not exist among the average Indian car buyer, particularly in this segment. I think only a minuscle number of Swift buyers buy it because it is sporty, for the rest it is a natural upgrade from their first car which is probably an A-segment Maruti.

What do you mean by "this segment"?

Any person wanting to buy their kid a hatchback to go to college would probably buy them a swift.

Families go for balenoes.

Here's evidence: average age of a swift buyer is 29 years old. And if I'm good at math, that means over 80% of sales are from this 26-35 year olds.

https://www.financialexpress.com/ind...a-row/1020922/

A 26 year old doesn't upgrade, he buys his first car.
Old 29th June 2020, 20:59   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any person wanting to buy their kid a hatchback to go to college would probably buy them a swift.

Families go for balenoes.
You are looking at this from a very big-city/Team BHP view-point. 40% of Maruti's sales from the rural market. And even if we were to ignore rural markets and go down to tier-3 or smaller towns, the car buying mindset there does not have such strict pre-conditons in their head regarding sportiness, steering feedback, engine refinement etc etc. Buying a kid a hatchback for college is like Upper part of upper middle class!

Driving into smaller towns in India the cross-section of traffic is very different from big city India with hordes of 800s, old Altos, Boleros, Sumos, Spacios, Omnis doing daily duties. Till about a year back (?) one could buy a brand new Omni. In such markets (which is like a good majority of India!) a Rs 7 lakh Swift is premium buy. A pride of the house.

Infact product design and strategy for A-segment, B-segment and infact even compact sedans are designed not keeping in mind Metropolitan India, but actually small town and rural India.

This is why the emergence of something like an S-Presso, a source of much bemusement from the city folks, because it's genesis is from understanding what rural India wants and what will grab their attention in a new car.

Last edited by avishar : 29th June 2020 at 21:00.
avishar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:46   #193
BHPian

Quote:

Just wondering the number of families who can afford to buy a Swift for their kid and the number of families (of 4 or 5) who wants to upgrade from the 800 or Santro, looks at i20/Baleno/Swift, opens the rear door and checks the knee space! I tell you the later is the majority.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:53   #194
BHPian

Quote:

Most the college going kids do NOT get a car to commute. I used public transport or a cycle for my daily commute. None of my friends in Delhi got a car from their parents just to commute to school/college.

I recently upgraded from a 2006 Alto to a Swift and have been using it as the primary family car. No one in my family is complaining about rear leg or head room. The Swift certainly feels fresh, well put together and a huge step up from our Alto.
kushagra452 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 11:57   #195
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Just wondering the number of families who can afford to buy a Swift for their kid and the number of families (of 4 or 5) who wants to upgrade from the 800 or Santro, looks at i20/Baleno/Swift, opens the rear door and checks the knee space! I tell you the later is the majority.

With all due respect, strictly IMHO, for those families of 4 or 5, for whom space is a concern, they just don't buy a swift.

Infact i pretty much dare anyone here to find me somebody who checked out the swift, the Baleno and the i20, had space as their primary criteria, and ended up buying the swift.

Like I have said in the article posted above, the average age of a swift buyer is 29, that would mean newly-weds who would be soon starting their nuclear families.

I'm pretty sure the average age of the Baleno or the i20 buyer is a lot higher.

Last edited by turbo : 30th June 2020 at 12:01.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed