Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2019, 16:04   #16
BHPian

Re: BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The E350d was not a big seller hence initial homologation costs might not be worth it.
Probably, but you have to consider that a person who can spend 1.35cr will definitely go for it 7 times out of 10 just for the badge and 'exclusivity' of and S-Class.

Whereas on the flip side the E350d is always an option for a lower budget customer who wanted to spend 60.xx ex showroom on an E220d but might stretch for a 6 cylinder engine for 10-15 lakhs more?

I'm not saying one of us is right or wrong, it's just about Mercedes keeping options for the buyer amidst their massive portfolio - where homologations costs for a company that big is peanuts.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 10:28   #17
BHPian

Yesterday I was told by the Mercedes SA that E350d is no longer in production. As of now 220d is the only diesel available.

Is that really the case? The website still shows e350d as a variant.
Old 19th September 2019, 10:55   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Yesterday I was told by the Mercedes SA that E350d is no longer in production. As of now 220d is the only diesel available.

Is that really the case? The website still shows e350d as a variant.
There might be quite a few in stock. Production might have ended due to the following

1: Lack of demand - I have to look really hard to find an E350. I would be lucky to see a couple in a month
2: The NCR rule now repealed which banned sale of >2L diesel engines
3: Mercedes would be trying to push the S Class
4: New E220d has all the goodies now.
5: BSVI engine installation (E350) for the E class has not been homologated as well.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 16:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
There might be quite a few in stock. Production might have ended due to the following

4: New E220d has all the goodies now.
5: BSVI engine installation (E350) for the E class has not been homologated as well.
I was told again today by the SA that E350 is not in stock at the plant. So that is ruled out.

The new E220 felt luxurious. All the 350 features are now present in the E220 as well. It is close to 77 Lakhs on road in Hyderabad.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 16:55   #20
Team-BHP Support

Got a chance to negotiate, buy and get it loaded on a truck. Being a new car and me being not familiar with Mercedes, I preferred to stay safe and got it from Showroom to Gurgaon home and parked for the night before getting it loaded today.

MB has done some changes in last year but it appears our forum more being driver-focussed has a lot less ownership or other information for Mercedes than say BMW Most of the updates are done considering actual user which for E Class is the guy sitting in the rear seat, though the car is not missing any features in the front as well. So, it's a very good balance for both rear passenger as well drive.

One of our known friends at Kolkata was looking to buy a car, very low usage and 100 % chauffeured. Since he already has a 7 series and was looking something smaller for daily runs, E-class was never in my mind as it's almost as long as 7 (1 Foot shorter perhaps). Checked Camry, ES and XF. Discounts were highest on XF but didn't get good feedback on the Diesel. For some reasons, Lexus - ES / Toyota Camry was not acceptable to the buyer purely from the image perspective. So Mercedes was the unanimous choice. Initially started with C Class but the rear seat of C is absolutely no-no for any Adult in my opinion. Perhaps, MB should do an extended C Class as well given requirements of customers who want to sit in the rear but won't buy a larger car due to our traffic/ parking space. MB Dealers in North were offering very competitive discounts on 2019 Manufactured 2020 Models. Kolkata Dealer was not even offering a pity 1 Lac discount so we have to order here.

Now coming to the Car, Euro 6 Diesel, it carries most of the things from the Euro 4 variant with added features. Some of these have been pointed as shortcomings in our review so full marks to MB India for addressing these.

From the review thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...s-e-class.html

Quote:
The vestigial middle seat is best forgotten and buried under the substantial armrest
There is a new design of the armrest. It now has a tray for wireless charging and a small tablet to control many functions, like what's available on 7 (maybe S also) The front armrest has an extended space like on Innova that has cup holders.

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.02.35.jpeg

Quote:
Boot space is generous, until......you realise there's no spare wheel well. In a car as well-engineered, we're disappointed that such a critical requirement was missed out..
It's a clean surface now with a space-saver tyre neatly tucked underneath.

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.05.27.jpeg
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.05.272.jpeg

Quote:
No AdBlue additives required...for now:
It's standard now.
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.07.06.jpeg

Quote:
Mood lighting with 64 colour choice
Same like before but having experienced BMW's always, found these to be much nicer. More bright, you can choose colours and even select Multi-colour animation.

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.10.23.jpeg
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.10.232.jpeg

Quote:
The instruments are conventional and not the virtual ones offered in some versions abroad. We did not feel short-changed in that respect
It's fully digital and looks very premium.

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.23.26.jpeg
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.23.262.jpeg

Quote:
Open the door and you literally walk into the car
The same comfort but now the doors have the soft-close function as well.

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.34.123.jpeg

MB has also introduced SOS function, the car comes equipped with SIM and the newer Mercedes ME interface/ app but no MBUX yet.

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.21.36.jpeg
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.21.362.jpeg

MB has retained 17inch Tyres prioritising comfort over looks, this is immediately visible even on a short drive. The suspension is definitely better over BMW. Mileage from this 4 cylinder appears to be around 20kmpl.

We bought the car from T&T motors from a senior SA with whom I have been chatting for many years. Every time, I will BMW after considering Mercedes in past so when I got an opportunity to buy for someone, I happily ordered. There was a small goof-up, we were offered a 2019 Manufactured 2020MY car in blue but by the time we paid the advance, that particular car was sold out. They had a new 2020 manufactured car ( 13rd Jan. Production) which was under transit but it had much lower discounts and no free insurance. Full marks to T&T for honouring rebates that we negotiated for 2019 manufactured car, we just paid for extra insurance. I am sure, many of other dealers would have backed out. Such gestures go a long way to retain customers.

Some other random pictures.

The car looks very premium in the Blue shade.

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.34.112.jpeg
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.34.113.jpeg

The engine compartment is neat. To open the same, had to go through a youtube tutorial. Red lever is tucked deep under the steering column.
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.34.115.jpeg
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.34.114.jpeg

Unlike BMW, you don't get wireless Carplay. However both, Android Auto & Carplay wired support is available. MB has provided cables for both.

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.34.116.jpeg

A special place for the key fob. It gets charged as well.
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.34.124.jpeg
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.34.125.jpeg

The boot remains manual.
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.34.122.jpeg

Mileage from this engine will be very good. Expect around 17-20

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.22.41.jpeg

And finally loaded for its onward journey to Kolkata.
BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-whatsapp-image-20200203-16.34.126.jpeg

Last edited by ajmat : 3rd February 2020 at 23:06. Reason: Typo
Turbanator is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 18:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Got a chance to negotiate, buy and get it loaded on a truck.

Could you please share the deal you have got ? This is the BS 6 E220d luxury top end model ?
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:36   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Could you please share the deal you have got ? This is the BS 6 E220d luxury top end model ?
Currently, discounts here in North is around 8 lac and free basic insurance for 2019 Manufactured 2020 MY cars. Yes, it's the Exclusive-2 currently top-end. In the case of corporates, it will be little more
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Currently, discounts here in North is around 8 lac and free basic insurance for 2019 Manufactured 2020 MY cars. Yes, it's the Exclusive-2 currently top-end. In the case of corporates, it will be little more

Just enquired in Mumbai the offer is 9 off and I'm guessing some more negotiation price will go even lower.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 16:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats to your friend on getting this! That new boot structure for the spare looks great - need to check if it's a retrofit to the 19 cars.
Old 12th February 2020, 14:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a clean surface now with a space-saver tyre neatly tucked underneath.
did you not feel that the "Space Saver" eats into a lot of space in the boot now?

When I checked out the E220D last week I felt that instead of getting the tyre below the load area - they have raised the load area while providing the foam packing for the tyre. Which in turn barely left enough space to accommodate 2 suitcases.
I think it's about time these premium car manufacturers understand why a spare tyre is needed & also understand why is boot space needed!
you can't choose between luggage and spare tyre when you are using the car for a road trip of a few hundred kms!!
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 14:15   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
did you not feel that the "Space Saver" eats into a lot of space in the boot now?
Not really, but honestly, I didn't check from that perspective. It looked aesthetically nice to me
Old 12th February 2020, 15:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really, but honestly, I didn't check from that perspective. It looked aesthetically nice to me

I agree it looks much better than the spare wheel lying in the trunk. But then just it's casing takes away even more precious cargo space from a trunk which anyway was suffering from lack of space because of the spare wheel.

OT:: Just wondering, what really happened to the wheel well in the boot in all these cars? Have the automakers put something else there? The way electronics are taking over the mechanical parts and also the way these cars are becoming bigger by the day - I seriously wonder why did they have to eliminate the spare wheel well in these cars? Has to be a more logical explanation other than - no one needs a spare wheel that much these days.
Beemers come with RFT - which might be their excuse - but then the RFTs tend to give a very harsh ride compared to the regular tyres - or is it just me who felt that? And one cut on the tyre because of the debris that's on our roads will make a BIG dent on the wallet because the RFTs don't come cheap :(

Can someone shed some light on this?
samyakmodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 16:29   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post

Beemers come with RFT - which might be their excuse - but then the RFTs tend to give a very harsh ride compared to the regular tyres - or is it just me who felt that? And one cut on the tyre because of the debris that's on our roads will make a BIG dent on the wallet because the RFTs don't come cheap

I have an 2017 X1 and a 2019 X3, the X1 has a harsh ride as it has low profile RFT's and the suspension setting is stiff as standard however on the other hand, my X3 with it's RFTs and adaptive dampers as standard which BMW is now offering across its range starting from the 5/X3 price point. The X3 has an extremely comfortable ride, it's better than the GLC and almost as good as the tubeless Q5, the ride is quite soft and supple, and it also has the option of being perfectly stiff in sport suspension mode.

Another thing that I noticed the other day when I was buying new tyres for my X1, the price for tubeless 18 inch Michelin/Pirelli/Continental and RFT of the same brands and size are just 1-2k apart. Didn't make sense to get tubeless financially as the safety aspect of RFTs is much better compared to tubeless.
Old 12th February 2020, 17:17   #29
BHPian

Getting these offers for the e class. Is this a good deal or is there room for more negotiations?

1. E-220d Exclusive-2 2019 mfg car price:-
5555000/-
Including:-
Exshowroom
TCS
Gold Insurance
CRTemp
8 lakh worth free service as per inaugural offer.

Above price is including conquest discount, in case customer is not eligible for conquest then the price shall get revised upward by 100000/-

2. E-220d Exclusive-2 2020 mfg car price:-
6233000/-
Including:-
Exshowroom
TCS
Gold Insurance
CRTemp
8 lakh worth free service as per inaugural offer.

Above price is including conquest discount, in case customer is not eligible for conquest then the price shall get revised upward by 100000/-

Registration charges extra.
Old 3rd March 2020, 16:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes Benz has revealed India bound E-class with subtle styling changes and new electrified power trains. Expected to launch in India at the end of the year
Source :Autocar India BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-fb_img_15832263003464924.jpg

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-fb_img_15832262838408754.jpg

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-fb_img_15832263083303436.jpg

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-fb_img_15832262894134501.jpg

BS6-compliant Mercedes E-Class launched in India-fb_img_15832262943757634.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks