Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2019, 16:08   #31
BHPian

Re: Badge Engineering or Bodge Engineering - A Primer

I wish I may be wrong, but the market will not accept the re-badging alone, without any improvement in the build quality and additional features.

I waiting curiously for the launch of Glanza and the numbers its going to munch every month. If Toyota would have first launched the Baleno, I'm sure the market would have not accepted it, just because Baleno has light build quality and is not upto Toyota's standard.

Also, will Toyota get a seperate NCAP rating for Glanza?
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 16:09   #32
BHPian

Nice thread. You can add VW Polo Vs Skoda Fabia also to the list.
IMHO, Toyota should have done a better job.
Old 22nd May 2019, 16:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Nice thread. You can add VW Polo Vs Skoda Fabia also to the list.

No. VW Polo/Skoda Fabia is not a case of badge engineering. They are based on different platforms itself. Fabia was based on the older PQ24 while Polo is based on the PQ25.
GeneralJazz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 18:23   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Not only among enthusiasts, but among common folks, Toyota stands to lose respect. Taxi image and Etios story aside, the public image of Toyota is still one of near premiumness and of absolute low TCO.

Any goodwill earned by their much flaunted safety ratings, will be negated by the presence of a car that is mockingly called as 'pappadum' in layman's social media circles.

BUT , all these will be forgotten in the long run.

Reminds me of the NUMMI plant, and the small GM cars that were essentially rebadged Corolla or it's derivatives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUMMI

Neither company profited from the venture in monetary terms, but Toyota got a chance to work around the regulation threats and also learn from the American work culture before starting their own stand alone factory, while GM got to learn how to make quality cars.

Chevy/Geo Prizm based on Corolla

Pontiac Vibe based on Matrix.

Once the Toyota Brezza is launched, hopefully with more differentiation and the proper hybrids start trickling down, all will be forgotten.

Maruti gets tech, Toyota may swallow Suzuki. All's Well That Ends Well.

But as a Toyota fanboi, will lament this marriage as any hope of getting international market Toyota models in India are dashed.
DicKy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 18:36   #35
BHPian

Let this idea be a grand success and expand to companies like Merc/BMW who can change badges with some Tata/Hyundai as then my long cherished dream of owning a Merc will come true.

Think about this,
3 years down the lane:
Me: Mom, going to Merc showroom.
Mother: Selling your kidney also won't help.
Me: Huh, generation gap, you won't understand.

And then parks my 3 pointed shining swaggy MERCEDES LOGO NANO infront of their poor inferior Tata nano, that too blocking the exit of Tata Nano in the garage. MERC NANO (in capital letters) bullying Tata nano (in small letters).

And my parents are like, "Wow, puttar, you have become super rich". As they couldn't identify the car due to the LOGO change.
And I am like, (I am awesome/cool smiley with shade), displays a deep sense of accomplishment in life.

I guess I have really lost my mind.

Mods: Please feel free to delete this.

Last edited by petrol_power : 22nd May 2019 at 18:40.
petrol_power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 20:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

In Toyota Glanza's case, they could have easily differentiated, by selling only Baleno RS (and made Maruti stop selling those) and then made just enough change to the grill and headlights to give a hint of Toyota design language.

As a Toyota loyalist, I am disgusted by their approach towards launching Glanza.
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 20:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Is the Baleno made in Maruti's Gujarat plant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is, therefore quite possible that Suzuki did the deal under Maruti's noses.
Toyota is known for its very methodical planning, which to others seem slow.

The Gujarat plant saga started I think from 2014. Would not be surprised if Toyota and Suzuki have been talking behind the scenes from before.

Regards
Sutripta

PS - The AStar was contract manufactured for Nissan to be sold as the Pixma. Reason why some versions were better kitted out than the norm for Indian small cars then. Including a TC auto variant.

Last edited by Sutripta : 22nd May 2019 at 20:44.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 23:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

To think how heavily we came down on Renault for selling the Captur in India alluding to the European Kaptur. While Renault (deservedly) got flak for disguising one as the other, at least there was some Engineering as well as Marketing involvement, I feel in retrospect

Toyota is just insulting the intelligence of the Indian car buyer here!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:43   #39
NPX
BHPian

also, Chevrolet Captiva

Source: cardekho.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Future Badge Engineering Ventures

Baijun 550 Vs MG Hector

Source

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd May 2019 at 10:57. Reason: Removed pics to make post easier to read
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:57   #40
Senior - BHPian

Great thread, love this comparison. Toyota is simply too lame to execute this badge engineering 'effort.' If they want volumes, they should bring in good cars and sell them at the right price.

I honestly wouldn't be complaining if this was done by some relatively lesser known brand which was lacked in resources to design new cars, but not a big brand like Toyota.

I don't like the concept of having 2 badge-engineered cars in a market unless there are some striking differences like VAGs models or when the car is exclusive to the market like Chevy/Holden in Australia.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 23rd May 2019 at 01:59.
Old 23rd May 2019, 03:59   #41
BHPian

Excellent thread Ajmat, informative. Your comparison and evaluation criteria makes lot of sense. In addition to the six verticals you have considered, sometimes rebadging can also be strategic.
For example If we look at the Agreements between Toyota and Suzuki, read it somewhere
Quote:
Toyota Motor Corporation 's Role
India - Share Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) technology in with Maruti Suzuki in India through local procurement of HEV systems, Engines and Batteries.
Europe - Supply two electrified vehicles to Suzuki which will be built on Toyota Platforms (RAV and Corolla Wagon)
Global - Supply Toyota Hybrid Systems to Suzuki

Suzuki Motor Corporation's Role
India - Supply two compact vehicles developed on the Suzuki platform which underpins the Ciaz and Ertiga.
Africa - Supply Made-In-India Baleno, Vitara Brezza, Ciaz and Ertiga to Toyota in Africa.
Europe - Supply powertrain technology to Toyota for compact cars which will be supported by Toyota and Denso and will be manufactured and Toyota's plant in Poland.

Toyota-Suzuki Partnership
Developing a C-segment MPV in India with Suzuki's expertise and supplying the Toyota Corolla executive sedan.
Manufacturing the Toyota badged Vitara Brezza at Toyota Kirloskar Motor's plant in Karnataka from 2022.
Albeit copycat stuff, it looks like there are mutual advantages. Especially looking at emerging markets such as Africa, Rebadged Suzuki aka cheap Toyota is probably the game plan. Also it could help both parties run their plants full catering to export demand for cheaper cars.

Keeping fingers crossed till June 6th, I wish at least Toyota’s CVT is brought in for some differentiation.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 23rd May 2019 at 04:29.
Old 23rd May 2019, 07:10   #42
BHPian

Suzuki has been the donor to Chevrolet as well, the Americans had the Chevrolet badged Swift in the 90s.
Which we got as the Maruti Esteem. Badge Engineering or Bodge Engineering - A Primer-d_nq_np_660460mco30036352952_042019ub.jpg
Suzuki also sold the Chevrolet Tracker as Grand Vitara globally.
Badge Engineering or Bodge Engineering - A Primer-280pxchevrolettracker4door.jpg
Considering the current gloom in the Auto Sector and the concerns about emmission norms, manufacturers like toyota are vary of making investments in R&D and engineering for development of a new model for Indian market. The easy way they can help their Network with sustainable volume is to go through the re badge route. Considering the excellent service reputation of Toyota there would be many who would consider buying a Glanza over the Baleno.
sureshkishore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 15:17   #43
BHPian

This is not the first time that the name Baleno is involved in badge engineering.

Suzuki Cultus Crescent aka Baleno

Name:  20190523_15h13_36.png
Views: 2083
Size:  599.0 KB

Chevrolet Cassia

Name:  20190523_15h14_38.png
Views: 2411
Size:  658.6 KB

Image source: Google
GeneralJazz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 17:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Let this idea be a grand success and expand to companies like Merc/BMW who can change badges with some Tata/Hyundai as then my long cherished dream of owning a Merc will come true.
In motorcycles, they already do it. We have BMW-G310R and TVS-Apache-RR310. I would say, it is a good badge engineering as both look stunning and also have significant differentiation in exterior styling and engine tunes. Some of us with long cherished dream can own a BMW for a little extra over RR310.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 23rd May 2019 at 17:07.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 21:18   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
How can we all forget the Aston Martin Cygnet?

This was essentially a Toyota iQ with an Aston badge and leather inside. It even shared the same specifications with a 97BHP 1.3L Inline 4 cylinder engine!
Badge Engineering or Bodge Engineering - A Primer-1280pxaston_martin_cygnet_82.jpeg

Badge Engineering or Bodge Engineering - A Primer-1280pxtoyota_iq_01.jpeg
Pity that it cost almost 3 times as much as the Toyota

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks