Team-BHP - Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Next-gen Mahindra Scorpio | Now revealed as Scorpio-N (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/209211-next-gen-mahindra-scorpio-now-revealed-scorpio-n-38.html)

Just love how Mahindra have retained that "long taillight" design element. Just hope from the last 2 launches Mahindra have learnt from underestimating the demand and produce at least the fast moving colors and variants well before launch so they do not loose out customers due to waiting periods.

Can't wait to see the latest iteration of the Scorpio going up against its age old rival the Tata Safari also in a new generation

Also its a typing error I'm guessing the Scorpio is being offered with a 2.2 diesel engine not a 2.0 litre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84.monsoon (Post 5306720)
M&M will most certainly position the Scorpio below the XUV700. The interiors of the new Scorpio are more rudimentary, there does not seem to be a wow factor about this car. M&M benchmarked the XUV700 against the Kodiaq (similar 3 row monocoque SUV) so that they can say at launch that they have made a product that is even better in many aspects at a much lower price point.

Along the same vein, they are now positioning Scorpio against the Fortuner (similar body-on-frame 3-row SUV). It is the same strategy. While Kodiaq started at ~35 lakhs, XUV 700n was launched starting at 12 lakhs ex-showroom. So benchmarking against the Fortuner does not ion any way mean they will launch the Scorpio at that price bracket. It is simply a strategy to give the customers the impression that they are getting so much more than what they paid for. My guess is Scorpio will have a very similar introductory starting price point as the XUV 700 (11.99 Lakhs ex-showroom) as the XUV has vacated that price point and now starts at 13.20 lakhs.

The Launch is just around the corner. And for sure XUV700 will be placed below the Scorpio. It's hard to digest but it's true. I cannot tell you my source of information but if I had liberty to tell I would have and no one would have doubted me even 1%.

This is going go be more traditional and luxurious SUV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abhikumar629 (Post 5306763)
Just got the news that dealer training is slated for next month. A very clear indication that launch is quite close. May follow the exact same timeline of reveal as the XUV700.

Yes. They got the schedules about a week back. But all the technician have been shown the vehicle when they went on the training for XUV700 last year same time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph03n!x (Post 5306787)
If your source told you this, please take everything else with dollops of salt!

The Alturas G4 is the second generation Ssangyong Rexton that was imported to India as CKD, and added Mahindra touches - front grill, badging et all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SsangYong_Rexton

Mahindra did not develop this from the scratch!

Alturus was developed under Mahindra's umbrella. Sending you a PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by balenoed_ (Post 5306796)
This is what is the confusing thing.

The current ones prices are 13.5L to 18.5L ex. If any variants of the next gen scorpio falls in this range, why would anyone buy current gen Scorpio's variant which is in that price bracket. He may as well buy the new one, whether it is the lower variants, still better than the existing one. :confused:

So doesn't it simply mean either take the current one out of the market or start the pricing from 18.5L onwards for the new one. Customers to look at a quite complicated value prop. Looking forward to an interesting marketing strategy.

The Current Scorpio will continue to sell and this would be priced above the XUV700.

Mahindra is taking a very very calculative risk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knightrider (Post 5306957)
This is exactly what I speculated in my earlier posts. Many things are hinting the same.

This is one such hint. There is absolutely no price gap available to place the new Scorpio without cannibalizing their other products.

Yes, this one which we are assuming to be named as Scorpio/ScorpioN, could altogether be a different SUV.

Your speculations are correct. There is no place for Scorpio other than being priced above the XUV700.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralto (Post 5306992)

M&M please provide a locking differential. I know most customers may not be looking for that, but IF M&M does this, few folks like me would compromise on features like a panoramic sunroof in a jiffy.

Too much asked? I will shut up now.

You wouldn't be disappointed

If the next gen Scorpio is to be placed above the XUV700, then it will need a new name. Especially if the current gen Scorpio will continue in the market, which makes complete sense. Unlike the XUV500 whose sales dwindled towards the fag end of it's product life, the Scorpio still is a strong seller.

Looks too much like a Volvo's.

Here is an attempt at objective comparison between Scorpio and XUV based on the earlier posts

Upperhand for XUV:
1. Bigger screen
2. Bigger Sunroof
3. LED headlights
4. Higher engine power
5. Better ride quality because of monocoque design
6. 5 Star safety rating (based on earlier posts, Scorpio might end up with 4 stars but I could be wrong)
7. 360 degree camera

Upperhand for Scorpio:
1. Better 4*4 technology
2. Rugged BOF vehicle
3. Bigger road presence and size

Unless I missed something significant, I don't see the reason why Scorpio should be priced incredibly higher than XUV. I would vote for similar pricing or in fact slightly lower pricing for similar variants.

Note that the 4*4 tech and BOF are adapted from Thar (or vice versa) and hence should be at a comparable price.

That's called commitment and great service by Mahindra. Before car is launched and available, spares are ready for grab !!! Out of box thinking I must say ;)

Looks very volvo ish. Especially like the XC40

The scorpio has always had this mafia look to it. I wish that does not ever go away. Looking at those rear taillights, I am a bit concerned because it looks so much like a Volvo. I hope it retains the mafia look to it. Anyways it will be safer and will be nicer to drive which was on the priority list for a long time. Cannot wait to be behind the wheel of this machine. Mahindra, if you’re listening, stop teasing and launch it already. Also, Increase your supply of vehicles so that we do not get 2 year waiting periods for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketi (Post 5307372)
That's called commitment and great service by Mahindra. Before car is launched and available, spares are ready for grab !!! Out of box thinking I must say ;)

I doubt this is an OEM piece. Maybe a leak from one of the vendors (rogue employee?). This might be a 3rd party product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manikjeet (Post 5307288)
The Launch is just around the corner. And for sure XUV700 will be placed below the Scorpio. It's hard to digest but it's true. I cannot tell you my source of information but if I had liberty to tell I would have and no one would have doubted me even 1%.

Wow! This is really interesting. Placing the New Scorpio above the already feature-rich Xuv7oo is really a calculated risk! I hope MM thought it through. If all this is true, the expectations for New Scorpio, according to me, skyrocketed. Really keen on more updates from your source :D

I think new Scorpio will have a good overlap with XUV700 and could be christened XUV500 (if M&M intends to keep current generation Scorpio alive).
Placing it above XUV700 may not be a good idea, as Scorpio brand was always the rugged and go anywhere brand, but not priced at a premium.
So XUV500 makes sense to have a go anywhere SUV, with more creature comforts than a Thar. Thus pricing it at premium to Thar but not above XUV700.

I am pretty sure Mahindra will replace Scorpio with New Scorpio but it will be overlapping with XUV700 as far as pricing is concerned.

All this talk about it being pricier than XUV is just to ensure the sales numbers of the existing model stay afloat.

Kudos to the Mahindra Marketing team! They have somehow got the rumour mills going that the Scorpio is going to be priced at a premium when compared to the XUV700! And some of us seem to be taking that bait!

One look at the feature list of the XUV700 and the new Scorpio ( again, speculative ), clearly tells us that the XUV700 is extremely well featured and the new Scorpio will not match it at all. The big differentiator will be the standard 3 row seats and AWD in some variants. Again, I would be surprised if Mahindra offered AWD in lower variants. Highly unlikely.

The Scorpio will stay true to its genes, a rugged go-anywhere vehicle that may not bring all latest gizmos and tech to the table.

Now, I’m not saying that the new Scorpio would be cheap, all I’m saying is that it will not be positioned at a premium over the XUV700.

And because the XUV700 has such a wide price band, (starting from almost 17 lakhs on road to about 31 lakhs on road in a city like Bangalore), overlap of prices between the two cars would be unavoidable.

My assumption is that the Scorpio may start near about the same as the XUV700, but offer 7 seats, few extra features over the sparsely featured MX series of the XUV700. And the Scorpio would probably not have the highest variant exceeding the XUV700.

I see Mahindra positioning the Scorpio as an alternative to say something like the Alcazar, 7 seats, big vehicle, priced mostly between 18-26 lakhs on road with the option of AWD. They will also counter the Harrier, Safari and even the Creta / Seltos twins by doing this. Remember, Mahindra actually does not have anything between the XUV700 and the XUV300, leaving a free run for cars like the Creta, Seltos etc. And they don’t have any near term solution in this segment.

Mahindra will do a shocker of an introductory price for the Scorpio, just like what they did with the XUV700, so as to grab maximum eyeballs as possible, but possibly keep the base variants bare bones and push the mid and higher variants.

In case somebody breaks them while taking delivery of the vehicle. Preplanning :)

Some overlap is a given and unavoidable. Mahindra is probably also not worried about cross shopping as long as the moolah keeps coming. Sort of like what Maruti does right now in the hatchback space.

I just hope they sort out their production capacity and delivery mess with XUV700/Thar before adding the New Scorpio to the mix.

So what’s the story so far?

At one point Scorpio and Safari were arch rivals. Now, it’s the XUV700 which is taking the fight to the Safari. In the process, Mahindra successfully created a third strong brand after Scorpio and XUV500. I would say, TML blew their chance to truly capitalize on the Safari brand by slapping it on to a Harrier+.

So now,
- M&M has a solid BOF SUV ready to launch
- The arch rival has been taken care of
- There is a well established brand in the pocket (XUV500) to tackle the soft-roaders
- The old guard is still putting up decent numbers

Will M&M rename the old guard and launch the strongest brand in their arsenal as their flagship for a second time?

Only time will tell, but I am excited to see the way this goes.