Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2019, 08:26   #31
BHPian

A masterstroke by the central government to get HSRP vehicle registration plates. Though this was implemented in some states earlier, most states have turned a blind eye towards it. This will ensure that all vehicles and their no.of owners will be kept in a national database and there can be no fraud while buying a used vehicle.
I hope one nation, one road tax becomes a reality soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
I got this one in my car from showroom itself on 26th April,2019. Guess this is HSRP ?

Attachment 1873877
No this is not HSRP number plate. KA hasn't implemented HSRP's yet.This is the normal IND plate with a silver hologram that fades after repeated washes. A friend of mine bought a XUV500 on April 11 2019 and he got the regular number plate from the dealer.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th May 2019 at 08:51. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
jithin23 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 09:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nope. HSRPs are always riveted to the car's bumper. Not screwed or stuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
I think this is an HSRP.

!
Quote:
Plus, I can't see the laser etched number below the hologram in that plate, which is yet another proof of a valid HSRP. I'll wait for SoumenD to confirm that part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Yes, those are High-Security Number Plates (HSRPs).
Ok now this got me really confued. So here are a few more pics i took today morning after reading these posts. Pardon the quality as its taken from phone.

Not sure if its visible in the pic, but below the hologram I see a number embossed. IPxxxxx . Is this the number you were talking about?
No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)-1.jpg

And the plate is fixed with these. Look like rivets?
No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)-2.jpg

Last edited by SoumenD : 6th May 2019 at 09:08.
SoumenD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 09:14   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Attachment 1874119

And the plate is fixed with these. Look like rivets?
Attachment 1874118
Rivets + the laser etched number. This is a valid HSRP dude.

Just curious, do you have a sticker on the windshield bearing the registration number as well?

Good to see Karnataka RTOs have begun the process.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 09:27   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Gujarat has had the HSRP system since 2013 or even before that. My October '13 car came with HSRPs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
When we purchased our last new car in 2012 in Haryana, we had paid for the HSRP and got it affixed from the authorized vendor along with the sticker on the windshield listing the registration details....
It's amazing to see it has been 7 years but the process has not been implemented countrywide even now, not even in the metros.
It's even more baffling to see people brandishing plates with only the words "JAAT" and "GUJJAR" so ensuring compliance with HSRPs is quite a long stretch.
In India, every policy change is used to fool & fleece the common man and the strongmen just do what they feel like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Incredibly enough, this HSRP initiative has already been used to scam people:
https://www.business-standard.com/ar...1800347_1.html
The quality of number plates was so poor, in some cases the entire number simply rubbed off after just 1-2 years of usage! And since people were not allowed to remove the number plate, some just used a marker on top of the protruding portions to highlight the number.
It would be comic if it wasn't tragic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
.... No this is not HSRP number plate. KA hasn't implemented HSRP's yet.This is the normal IND plate with a silver hologram that fades after repeated washes. A friend of mine bought a XUV500 on April 11 2019 and he got the regular number plate from the dealer.
I got the same response from the dealership, that the numbers will fade in some time. He even showed me an example of such a number plate on a car parked nearby.
Plus the special seal used on the rivets is gonna be quite difficult to make out from a distance. We have seen examples of such seals being tampered with on electric meters since ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
T...
Once all cars on the road have the same number-plate, it stops being a design thing. E.g. in USA, I never ever paid attention to the number-plate, nor did I think it adds the same style value as it does in India. ....
[/url]
GTO, don't they have specialty number plates in the US, aka as shown in the movies?
On a somewhat related note, what should be done is strengthen the backbone of the system so that every car stopped for traffic infractions/ routine check, should be entered into the system to check for antecedents. For that, the Vahan system is a step in the right direction. I recently got an update from the system about my car sold nearly 4 months back having been transferred to the new owners. thumbs up to that!
Ravi Parwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 10:26   #35

I just had my new car registered in Bangalore last Friday. The car was manufactured in Mar 2019 and hence am being told that HSRP is not mandatory. Can someone confirm if I need to have HSRP fixed? If so, is there a deadline?
Old 6th May 2019, 10:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

What a joke! HSRPs were to come in to effect many years ago and even now there is absolutely no clarity! Some states have done it nearly 2 years ago and some states have not even attempted anything in this regard.
We are one country, shouldnt such laws be common across? Just because the states control the RTO and thereby accumulate road tax in their coffers, we have varied laws in every single state!
Leave aside the HSRPs, even a fundamental safety aspect such as compulsory helmet for 2 wheeler riders is not uniform across the country.
I would not be surprised if suddenly you get a notification saying that X date is the deadline and then all folks have to drop everything and rush to get their HSRPs.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 11:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rivets + the laser etched number. This is a valid HSRP dude.

Just curious, do you have a sticker on the windshield bearing the registration number as well?

Good to see Karnataka RTOs have begun the process.
No I see only the non-polluting green sticker and the fast-tag. Nothing else on the windshield
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2019, 14:38   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Also new cars post May 2 should not be spotted without HSRP else the dealership will be fined.
Does that mean older vehicles are okay to run without HSRP? My 2014 Beat doesn't have one.
Old 6th May 2019, 18:56   #39
BHPian

I booked XUV 300-W6 on sat in Bengaluru, just called the sales-rep to find out about this

He said registrations are on and he has himself sent two vehicles to RTO today.
Old 6th May 2019, 23:01   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
So in the near future, cars registered prior to April 15 would also need to get HSRP fixed. So how does that work out for out of state cars?
I have a KA passing car running around in Mumbai. Would I have to go to KA RTO or MH RTO for the change
Do you know a tentative date or this a guess? If I understand correctly, currently it is not applicable for older cars, right?

I think they should allow the authorized plate printers to provide plate using RC card.
Old 6th May 2019, 23:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikameya View Post
Do you know a tentative date or this a guess? If I understand correctly, currently it is not applicable for older cars, right?

I think they should allow the authorized plate printers to provide plate using RC card.

This is speculation as of now. But I believe in Chandigarh IIRC, owners needed to take their cars to get HSRP fixed. Not sure if it was mandate or optional. Fellow members, correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old 7th May 2019, 06:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
This is speculation as of now. But I believe in Chandigarh IIRC, owners needed to take their cars to get HSRP fixed. Not sure if it was mandate or optional. Fellow members, correct me if I'm wrong here.
Chandigarh has had HSRP'S for many years now. New cars are registered and provided a HSRP which the owner has to go and get fixed at a designated location. The plates are made available within a few days of the registration.

For older cars the registration authority publishes dates in the local newspapers along with the registration series when the HSRP plates will be made available. You need to go and place the order within those dates and get the plates fixed.

There are stiff challans if you do not get the HSRP fixed for older cars when they become due.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 10:23   #43

Quote:
Thanks for sharing, Kanad ! Good to see the Govt finally getting serious about HSRP plates.

I guess this marks the end of custom number-plate fonts (I will miss my favourite = the DC font). That being said, I'm glad that the govt has chosen a fairly neutral font design. Imagine if some babu had signed off on an ugly font / style .

Once all cars on the road have the same number-plate, it stops being a design thing. E.g. in USA, I never ever paid attention to the number-plate, nor did I think it adds the same style value as it does in India.

Related Thread (Your favourite number-plate font)
US has one of the most colorful and fancy number plates in the world - Every state has their own slogan , Their Tourism website address for states like Florida, Michigan, Minnesota etc. The appearances of plates are frequently chosen to contain symbols, colors, or slogans associated with the issuing jurisdiction. That would have been a great choice if at all in our country as well.
Also got my new X1 Registered last month, No issues whatsoever.
A colorful screenshot of Speciality plates in Florida. Also available on WIKI.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wall_of_license_plates_in_Florida.pdf (5.09 MB, 346 views)
maddylaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 11:36   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Once all cars on the road have the same number-plate, it stops being a design thing. E.g. in USA, I never ever paid attention to the number-plate, nor did I think it adds the same style value as it does in India.

Related Thread (Your favourite number-plate font)
Well to be fair they did find ways of making number plates interesting without flouting rules (Conair's legenary a55kikr), like in India. And they are not particularly smart either, like this incredible one I saw in Rajasthan on NH8 (and this is for real, no kidding). It read, "Poorva sarpanch putra". Oh the folly!
Old 7th May 2019, 17:56   #45
BHPian

I have two old cars, could I electively choose to upgrade the plates on them? Asking for the state of UP.
thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks