Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2019, 09:33   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Gujarat has issued HSRP since before 2015. Surprised their name is not mentioned above. I have a 2016 car with HSRP from Gujarat.
Gujarat has had the HSRP system since 2013 or even before that. My October '13 car came with HSRPs.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th May 2019 at 09:38.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 09:40   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

It’s sad to see the implementation of changes in India. A close friend has bought three trucks on loan and is yet to get functional due to the registration issue. Even one month of not being in operation can cause huge losses. Imagine the extent of losses across the country.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 09:43   #18
BHPian

The font chosen seems to be good and hopefully this will finally bring an end to those illegal number plates, especially the ones that are glossy on top and have a silver paint at the back. Those number plates + led number plate lights make them too flashy and cctv usually will see just a super bright spot and recognizing numbers was a challenge.

Now the number plate shops will have to gear up to become HSRP dealers/vendors.
SS80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 11:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Thanks to my friend Vaibhav Sawant for sharing this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Tamil Nadu is already providing HSRP since April 2019. So registrations shouldn't be hampered.
My very recent with these in Gurgaon for my R15 V3 which i purchased from Sidharth Auto has been very different, its been more than 2 months that i purchased my bike and after constant follow ups, multiple visits and me being angry they issued (not fitted) my number plate just 2 days ago.

In this process apart from making various calls to the highly incompetent dealership i had to actually call Utsav (the HSRP Manufacturer) and they were helpful and told me all this while my dealership has not even placed an order with them, i was fuming at this and immediately called them to confront and they gave a lame excuse regarding the shortage of number plates going on and what not.

The next day they called and said i can collect my number plate. (I guess it takes 24 hours and after my last call they must have started the process)

But my hardship does't end there, not only did they not have the tools to install this number plate they failed to inform me so and told me to get it installed from outside because apparently their guy who comes from the RTO is on a long break (which again is a load of bull, dealerships usually have their own guys to do this, its no rocketscience but they being them must not have bothered to purchase the tools or assign someone to do the job), after giving them an earful on this they insisted any car accessories person would install it and i just did not believe that because of the rivets they use. They overcharged me for the plates (400 bucks) and even after that this is the service i got.

Finally after a long journey which can easily be made into a bollywood movie which involved me carrying the plates in my pockets (because where else will i keep them in a motorcycle ), to me going to the actual RTO, to a policeman being kind enough and sitting as my pillion on Gurgaon roads, while him insisting to drive on the wrong side, to finally him taking me to the right guy who then correctly installed the plates!

But the first post i quoted, the HSRP i got has nowhere as good finishing as the one in that post, it is inconsistent with the black printing/sticker across the border and on the actual numbers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th May 2019 at 13:05. Reason: Quote content trimmed
Rocketscience is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 13:29   #20
BHPian

What's the situation in Bangalore? When and how do I migrate my 2 year old car from non-HSRP to HSRP? And is it mandatory?
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 13:37   #21
BHPian

Vahan website has details of government approved HSRP plate vendors and installers.

HSRP was a norm in Haryana(Ambala RTO to be precise) even in 2012.

Delhi government had issued a circular on 1st Jan 2019 stating all cars post April 2012 need to be fitted with HSRP.

Details are prominently displayed at RTO offices and also HSRP vendors(Rosmerta in Delhi).

Process is pretty straight forward in case of Delhi and Haryana RTOs, not sure about other states.
Old 5th May 2019, 13:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

I got this one in my car from showroom itself on 26th April,2019. Guess this is HSRP ?

No HSRP number-plate, no registration (for new cars)-img20190426wa00112.jpg
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 15:10   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I guess this marks the end of custom number-plate fonts (I will miss my favourite = the DC font).
I’m really sad about this. Was dreading the implementation of HSRP plates for just this reason.

However, until they make it mandatory for existing/older cars to get HSRP mandatory there is still a loop hole- Buy a new car with HSRP plates, break the security seal open and remove the entire number plate frame and put regular DC font on the frame.
When they make it mandatory of all old cars too you can buy new HSRP plates claiming the old ones broke.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 17:04   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
I got this one in my car from showroom itself on 26th April,2019. Guess this is HSRP ?

Attachment 1873877
Nope. HSRPs are always riveted to the car's bumper. Not screwed or stuck. Plus, you get a sticker stuck on the windshield which carries the registration number. This is the usual IND number plate.

Check out this thread for EVERYTHING you wanted to know about HSRPs.
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 17:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nope. HSRPs are always riveted to the car's bumper. Not screwed or stuck. Plus, you get a sticker stuck on the windshield which carries the registration number. This is the usual IND number plate.
I think this is an HSRP. We can't see how it's stuck so can't comment on that. Also, I have many a times seen various vehicles with HSRPs held together by regular screws. Heck, I've seen an Activa with one screw missing and the plate hanging

As for the sticker, we can't comment on that since he full windscreen isn't visible.

Cheers!
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 19:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

Attachment 1873877
Yes, those are High-Security Number Plates (HSRPs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
..Buy a new car with HSRP plates, break the security seal open and remove the entire number plate frame and put regular DC font on the frame.
When they make it mandatory of all old cars too you can buy new HSRP plates claiming the old ones broke.
Quote:
HSRPs are always riveted to the car's bumper. Not screwed or stuck.
Hi, although it is true that HSRPs are riveted to the car's bumper to prevent misuse/easy alteration and so that they can't be taken off without causing damage to the plates, our forum members themselves have shown us that the rivets can easily be taken off without causing any damage to the plates. Quoting joybhowmik from this Scorpio thread below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Attachment 1758114
The number plate comes off. Yes those rivets are history now.

Quote:
Plus, you get a sticker stuck on the windshield which carries the registration number.
In a lot of cases, these stickers are not provided. There are many news articles regarding the same. Also, we can comment on that since we can't see the windshield of the said car.

Quote:
This is the usual IND number plate.
Highly unlikely, since he got his car on 26th April, 2019 and Kerala implemented the mandatory HSRP rule from 1st April, 2019.

Quoting an article from The Hindu:

Quote:
From April 1, all classes of motor vehicles hitting the road and being registered in the State will come fitted with tamper-proof high-security registration plates (HSRP) that have a host of inbuilt security features.

“No vehicle shall be sold in the State on or after April 1 without the HSRP,” Principal Secretary of Transport K.R. Jyothilal said in an order to the State Transport Commissioner and all vehicle manufacturers and dealers on Wednesday.
Source: https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le26655225.ece

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Also, I have many a times seen various vehicles with HSRPs held together by regular screws. Heck, I've seen an Activa with one screw missing and the plate hanging
Yeah, that isn't legal though. HSRPs are riveted to the vehicles, but in many cases they're taken off for some reason or the other, and then screwed back on. What people should do instead is, rivet the plates onto the vehicles again. Most garages can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
As for the sticker, we can't comment on that since he full windscreen isn't visible.
Agreed!

Regards.
boniver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 19:48   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Highly unlikely, since he got his car on 26th April, 2019 and Kerala implemented the mandatory HSRP rule from 1st April, 2019.
The car in the member's post belongs to Karnataka (KA) not Kerala (KL). Have RTOs in Karnataka implemented the HSRP system yet?

Plus, I can't see the laser etched number below the hologram in that plate, which is yet another proof of a valid HSRP. I'll wait for SoumenD to confirm that part.

As regards removing the rivets without damaging the plate, I've done that to the plates on my car when they were changed after the registration changed. All it takes is a drill over the existing rivets. The plates come out clean.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th May 2019 at 19:49.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2019, 19:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
The car in the member's post belongs to Karnataka (KA) not Kerala (KL). Have RTOs in Karnataka implemented the HSRP system yet?
My bad.

Quote:
Plus, I can't see the laser etched number below the hologram in that plate, which is yet another proof of a valid HSRP. I'll wait for SoumenD to confirm that part.
Methinks it's the way the picture has been taken, that the laser etched number can't be seen. The confusion will get cleared once SoumenD verifies.

Quote:
As regards removing the rivets without damaging the plate, I've done that to the plates on my car when they were changed after the registration changed. All it takes is a drill over the existing rivets. The plates come out clean.
Yes, what I wanted to say is, therefore rivets aren't a foolproof method of judging whether the plates are HSRP or not. Someone can easily take off the rivets, and again fit the HSRPs back with the help of screws. In that case, the absense of rivets won't render the plates invalid.
Old 5th May 2019, 21:40   #29
BHPian

I have three questions for cars which are already on the road (pre April 2019)
If HSRPs are implemented throughout, will custom number plates become invalid?
If my car undergoes an accident and the lisence plate gets damaged, does this mean that the new set of number plates would be HSRPs?
Do I need to change my current RTO issued number plates and get those HSRPs and the hologram sticker?
Old 6th May 2019, 00:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
I have three questions for cars which are already on the road (pre April 2019)
If HSRPs are implemented throughout, will custom number plates become invalid?
Yes. All new cars will have to adorn HSRPs, and all old cars will slowly have to change to them. Nowadays, any work at the RTO (transfer of ownership/re-registration/fitness renewal etc) first requires that the car has HSRPs. If not, HSRPs are first affixed on the car, and only then is the final document (smart card, in the above cases) delivered. That's the case here in Kolkata (and at various other RTOs across the country, I'm told).

Quote:
If my car undergoes an accident and the lisence plate gets damaged, does this mean that the new set of number plates would be HSRPs?
The new plates can be anything you choose to put on your car, but the legality of the same can be questioned. Therefore, it'll be best to apply for a new set of HSRPs at the RTO, and get them affixed.

Quote:
Do I need to change my current RTO issued number plates and get those HSRPs and the hologram sticker?
Not yet. Refer to my reply to the first question to figure out how older cars are being made to convert to HSRPs.

Thanks.

Note: All of the above is my interpretation of the current scenario as a common citizen. If I'm wrong, please be kind enough to point it out for the benefit of the other forum members.
boniver is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks