Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2020, 00:34   #556
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs

Owners Manual for TRoc. Quite comprehensive and well written. The amount of warnings and notices seem to be more than the actual material.

Mods. Please delete if posting the manual is not allowed. I found it online while searching for TRoc details.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OM.pdf (5.90 MB, 587 views)
Traveler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 09:19   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
I've been told the same thing. Apparently they're expecting some device from Germany that configures the car to the India specification (no real clarity on what these changes are, if any). All allotments and test drives are on hold till the software is updated. Same issue with the Tiguan Allspace as well.I was allowed to test drive the T-Roc with the 'transport' mode which restricts the engine so didn't really get to "drive" it as such. I'm really surprised that VW didn't get such a basic thing in order before launching the car more than three months ago now. India 2.0 is clearly not off to a start, let alone a good one it seems.
I think Covid 19 has wrecked havoc on the best laid plans of mice and men. I don't think anyone can be blamed for stuff they had expected to be delivered from overseas and hasn't arrived.
What is annoying and unacceptable is the wishy-washy waffling of the SAs, each one of who is telling a different story. There has to be an official statement from VW regarding this!
Amsdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 13:19   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
I think Covid 19 has wrecked havoc on the best laid plans of mice and men. I don't think anyone can be blamed for stuff they had expected to be delivered from overseas and hasn't arrived.
Unfortunately the argument makes sense only in theory. The pandemic hasn't affected shipping the way it has affected other industries. My family runs an EXIM logistics business and it has been business as usual from Day 1 of the lockdown. The delays mostly affected Chinese imports that too only in March. VW's European production facilities also restarted operations in late April which allows for enough time even to ship items via ocean freight. Plus, an important part/ software can easily be air freighted as auto companies have always done when dealing with a just-in-time situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncar View Post
Personally I would place the T-roc and the Karoq in different segments despite both sharing the same drivetrain. Karoq being dimensionally larger with a more SUVish build and appearance.
I agree, I think the Karoq is closer to the Tiguan's segment than the T-Roc's. I just feel that the T-Roc is overpriced for the size and interior quality that it offers. The presence of hard plastics and the complete lack of any soft touch materials will serve as a constant reminder that I overpaid for it. I think high teens would have been more appropriate for it's on-road price even with CBU costs.

While I haven't written it off, seeing it in person has made me reconsider so I'll be taking a look at the Karoq as well. Don't get me wrong, the Karoq is overpriced by a couple of lakhs too. But I guess the interior quality and the size it offers should hopefully justify its premium more than the T-Roc's. The Jeep Compass is out of contention since I'm not a fan of the interior design and the Petrol AT drives like a tractor in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncar View Post
Apparently it sells decently in Europe though considered pricey compared to its peers.
It is a great car on paper and I'm sure it'll be fun to drive. It's only when you bring in the price and the interiors that the story falls apart. Just look at the picture I took of the door attached below, nothing but hard plastics.
Attached Thumbnails
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-img_3790.jpeg  

AamodB is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 13:39   #559
Senior - BHPian

^^
I haven't seen the car in person but from the picture posted the door looks like a B-segment car. What's shocking is the lack of any cloth/leather etc near the armrest area. My 10-year old Honda jazz has that area completely covered with cloth (seat fabric material) and I am sure that many of the B2/C1/C2 segment cars have the same as well.

I don't know why but VW seems to consider this basic need as a luxury feature. My Vento highline plus (top end) also does not get any cloth or leather(ette) material on the door armrest area. And frankly, it feels terrible.

I am actually looking for some after market jugaad to address the same.
adimicra is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 16:15   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
Unfortunately the argument makes sense only in theory. The pandemic hasn't affected shipping the way it has affected other industries. My family runs an EXIM logistics business and it has been business as usual from Day 1 of the lockdown. The delays mostly affected Chinese imports that too only in March. VW's European production facilities also restarted operations in late April which allows for enough time even to ship items via ocean freight. Plus, an important part/ software can easily be air freighted as auto companies have always done when dealing with a just-in-time situation.
I know of quite a few shipments stuck in transit in Europe in this period. However, you being in the business, Im sure your knowledge is far more accurate. I hope it is not a " Jane bhi do Yaaro" type situation ("Flyover complete hai par opening karne vala mil nahi raha hai") and they are waiting for some bosses from Germany to come here and flag it off.
Old 24th June 2020, 16:54   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdoc View Post
I know of quite a few shipments stuck in transit in Europe in this period.
I agree that there have been challenges amidst an air of uncertainty. The issue I have with this situation is that the Volkswagen is an 80 year old mega-corporation that knows the ins and outs of making and selling cars and have no doubt faced similar situations across the entire group. They made a big PR effort to showcase their India 2.0 strategy but haven't been able to sell a single new launch. The Skoda arm of the same company on the other hand is in a better shape and has already delivered customer Karoqs.

If media reports are to be believed, there are a thousand people with bookings waiting to buy their T-Rocs along with those who booked the Allspace. That's nearly INR 400+ crores in new sales which they haven't been able to complete. The dealerships don't have any idea of the timeline either and can do nothing but wait for VW get things in order.

As you mentioned earlier, even something as basic as an official statement would be helpful. The one that ultimately loses is VW since potential customers will eventually go for the other available options.
AamodB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 17:43   #562
Senior - BHPian

Actually, I feel that lack of cloth/leather works in that it doesnt require much maintenance. What would you have? A hard, shiny door handle that can be easily cleaned OR a muddy, soiled cloth fabric?
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 17:55   #563
Senior - BHPian

Rs 25 lakhs for a T-Roc has left me scratching my head. I see plenty of them in Europe and it's nothing more than a crossover-hatchback thingy. It is just a smidge bigger than our sub 4m hatchbacks and people argue over every Rs 25,000 difference in that segment.

Somebody posted a picture of the door and that honestly sums up the car. The car was built as a budget option for even among VW buyers and for Learner agencies! It is the VW Dull.

So much value placed on the badge and the DSG?
avishar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 18:51   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Actually, I feel that lack of cloth/leather works in that it doesnt require much maintenance. What would you have? A hard, shiny door handle that can be easily cleaned OR a muddy, soiled cloth fabric?
Some cars have soft plastic (rubberized plastic) or padded portion covered with leather/art-leather. These combine best of both the wolds (soft to touch and easy to clean)
Old 24th June 2020, 19:23   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
There is a reason why any half-decent car comes with cloth or better, leather(ette) for the arm rest area. And Yes, I have lived for 10+ years without much of a problem. These are unacceptable cost cutting measures in a 20+ lakh rupee car, period. You might be an exception though.
adimicra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 20:01   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
There is a reason why any half-decent car comes with cloth or better, leather(ette) for the arm rest area. And Yes, I have lived for 10+ years without much of a problem. These are unacceptable cost cutting measures in a 20+ lakh rupee car, period. You might be an exception though.
If you ask me, for the price that they are charging , they should equip it with better driving hardware, such as AWD. That would offset the perceived lack of premium feel inside the cabin.
Old 24th June 2020, 20:16   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The plastics are a smidge better than my Polo 1.6 I got in 2011 when localisation wasn't all that much. I still have that car (I'm actually upgrading from that to the T-Roc) and the plastics are top notch, not looks-wise but durability wise. I have removed the door card multiple times for ICE upgrades, microphone wiring, maintenance and the locks, the plastics, they all look & feel brand new. I have a few luxury cars at home and in the family with nappa and fancier leathers in door cards and they look like fecal matter in 5-7 years of use. So much so that I replaced the upholstery in my W212 and Accord after a while. These things get worn if you have a habit of resting your elbow on them.

On topic, VW corporate, VW on social media, my dealer or any of the SA/GM/RM involved with the story have been sent multiple emails and still, to date, don't reply as to when the car will be delivered. I am one of the few people whose cars have been sent to dealerships and my dealer won't deliver the car or answer why they won't.

I have booked a Seltos after seeing my car stand at the dealership since the last 3 weeks
I don't know what to do, my wife is asking for a car ever since I sold hers a few days ago. I *need* to oblige. It's just me who is stuck on the T-Roc(sold on the looks), she's fine with the Seltos or the Jeep, whichever comes quicker.

Attached is a pic of my car (maybe), well, it's been ordered in my name, but I'm sad it might not be delivered to me at all
Attached Thumbnails
The Volkswagen T-Roc, now launched @ Rs 19.99 lakhs-img_20200609_153555.jpg  

Harneet.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 08:04   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post
I have booked a Seltos after seeing my car stand at the dealership since the last 3 weeks
I don't know what to do
If you like the looks and overall package of the T-Roc, I would highly recommend that you don’t compromise by buying the Seltos. You obviously keep your cars for a long time. So a few weeks here and there should not matter in a 10 year ownership cycle. The streets are flooded with Seltoses and will be even more so down the line. Seltos looks so yucky from every angle other than the front, in my view. On the other hand, the T-Roc looks brilliant inside and out. Every time you will cross a T-Roc driving your Seltos, you don’t want to be kicking yourself on the decision you made

I have owned the 2010 Polo and subsequently the top end Titanium (O) Ecosport. On paper the Ecosport has every feature the Polo did not have, including cushioned door armrests that are being discussed here. However, the feel-good factor a VW can deliver, even in a basic hatchback like the Polo, is way superior. You pat yourself in the back subconsciously about making the right choice every time you get in the VW car and take the wheel! I know this may be exaggerating a bit, but you get the gist!

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 25th June 2020 at 08:06.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 09:12   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harneet.S View Post
I don't know what to do, my wife is asking for a car ever since I sold hers a few days ago. I *need* to oblige. It's just me who is stuck on the T-Roc(sold on the looks), she's fine with the Seltos or the Jeep, whichever comes quicker.
This is coming from a Seltos owner. No matter how incompetent the dealership that is selling a car you truly like, you should go for the car that tugs your heart. Even we had a disappointing experience with the Kia dealership, but we did purchase the Seltos as it tugged our heartstrings.

The T-Roc is my favourite car to come out of Volkswagen India. Just because the dealership is taking its own sweet time to hand over the vehicle to you, don't go for the Seltos. Do request your wife to have a little patience. The fruit that will be borne from her patience will be amazing. As much as we like our Seltos, nothing can beat a VW crossover that has been imported from Europe.

Last edited by BZ25 : 25th June 2020 at 09:16.
BZ25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 20:08   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
If you like the looks and overall package of the T-Roc, I would highly recommend that you don’t compromise by buying the Seltos. You obviously keep your cars for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZ25 View Post
This is coming from a Seltos owner. No matter how incompetent the dealership that is selling a car you truly like, you should go for the car that tugs your heart.
Thanks for the upvote. I know I should be waiting for it, I know I'm trying to get the wife to get in on it.

Meanwhile, VW, of course, won't reply with even their standard 'Thanks for your email, we'll get in touch with you' response. I think they've completely lost the plot as to who their customers are and who they don't want to annoy. I've got in touch with a few people who are in the same boat as me over instagram where I voiced my displeasure a few days ago (to which they won't reply). They're as irritated as I am, so I feel happy they're at least getting one email a day with a long list of invaluable gems of pieces of those people's minds.

The car looks extremely good in flesh, and yes a whole size smaller than the Creta/Seltos, doesn't have electrically adjustable seats (annoys my wife she has to pull on a 'danda' and rotate a 'firki'), no ventilated seats(it's awful hot & humid here), but that isn't the reason I'm buying, as you guys have aptly said.
Harneet.S is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks