Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 02:34   #16
BHPian

Re: Haval H6 Coupe SUV spotted in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I have NOT read the thread. The fact that it is CHINESE, I think every Indian should boycott it straight away. PERIOD.
Why should the onus to boycott come on the citizens when the government literally signed a MoU with the Chinese manufacturer?

Maybe the government in the current circumstances just cancel the MoU?

PS: I will never buy a Chinese car and will cut down Chinese gadget consumption but I don't understand this mindless anti Chinese rhetoric.
vellatechie is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 05:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I have NOT read the thread. The fact that it is CHINESE, I think every Indian should boycott it straight away. PERIOD.
I disagree. The world will be better with more interconnectedness. The border escalation would have been a full scale war if India and China are not mutually dependent. The jingoism will die down in few weeks and we will be lapping up products coming to our shore.
doxinboy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 07:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
I disagree. The world will be better with more interconnectedness. The border escalation would have been a full scale war if India and China are not mutually dependent. The jingoism will die down in few weeks and we will be lapping up products coming to our shore.
The problem is India is not talking to China on equal terms. There has been NO statement from India that puts a heavy price on China strategically for the loss of its 20+ soldiers. If India perceives that China needs the India market, then India must make them pay up a heavy strategic cost. India cannot just hand it over carte blanche.
The only way this can work is if India significantly bolsters its military capability, because like it or not, that is the only way other countries respect you. USA may have 'withdrawn' from the world strategic map so to speak, but they are still the most powerful military in the world. And the rest of the world know it all too well.
fhdowntheline is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 08:08   #19
BHPian

Whatever be ones personal opinion regarding India and China and the world order in the years to come, one must accept that nationalism is a very strong emotion which will be hyped up by various media and political leaders.

Any Chinese investors into India and local partners would need to reassess their projects fast. At least for the short term till everything cools down.
Old 17th June 2020, 21:32   #20
BHPian

Disclaimer: This response is not influenced by the current geo political events and is a neutral opinion.

I for one cannot ever see myself owing a Chinese brand because of the simple reason that one that does not utter the words ‘ premium’ or ‘luxury’ or even ‘durability’ in the same breath as Chinese. Even if the car costs a million bucks , this brand has zero brand recall or brand value. Not all Indian consumers buy a car based on convenience alone,a good number of the decisions are influenced by the flaunt value which can prove to be this manufacturers undoing.

I am sticking with traditional manufacturers and would go with a second hand purchase rather than owning GW H6
thehighwayman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Why should the onus to boycott come on the citizens when the government literally signed a MoU with the Chinese manufacturer?

Maybe the government in the current circumstances just cancel the MoU?

PS: I will never buy a Chinese car and will cut down Chinese gadget consumption but I don't understand this mindless anti Chinese rhetoric.
Well as per the latest update Maharashtra Government has frozen 3 projects worth ₹5000 crores which were signed with Chinese companies including the one with GWM. I think after an event like this GWM will strongly reconsider entering India at such a time and may drop the plan all together.

Link
prateekchanana is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:34   #22
BHPian

If imitation is the best form of flattery, I'm sure the Chinese would have many pleased. Uncanny resemblance to Hyundai in some cars and MG in others.

Not to stir up a political debate, but hopefully the government doesn't hand them tax free zones for manufacturing.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 14:33   #23
BHPian

Makes me smile when people blindly chant the 'ban Chinese products' slogan by only looking at goods that come with the obvious 'Made in China' stamp. It is not that simple & straightforward. I recently came across a video where some uncles were thrashing a poor TV just because it came from China.

Almost everything that we use today in our daily lives has 'China' written over it in some shape or form - be it the the entire product or components.
Heck majority of the services that we are so dependent upon have Chinese investors - Big Basket, Flipkart, Snapdeal, PayTM, MakeMyTrip, Ola, Zomato, Swiggy, Policy Bazaar, Hike Messenger, Byju's - to name a new. Is one ready to boycott them all? Absolutely not.

IMO, as long as the government doesn't make the entry of Chinese brands into India easy by offering them deals, subsidies, bias, I am good. Governments shouldn't get tempted looking at the investment figures and agree to chop off their limb trying to get them into their state.

Let all new investors make their mark the good-old-fashioned way - invest knowing all risks, challenges and try & succeed by putting your best foot forward - e.g. MG, KIA, Jeep.
Having said this, there are several 'cheaper' Chinese manufacturers who would be equally eager to enter India, trying to dump their cheap-o vehicles at dirt cheap prices. They should not be allowed entry.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 15:50   #24
BHPian

A few months back, I was in IIM bangalore for a session on Macro-economics where we were discussing about the US-China trade war in which US was putting more tariffs on Made in China Products.

Summarizing the professor's view -
It is a major mistake by US and it will have a rippling effect and could cause further problems. As a customer you buy a product of same quality which is at a cheaper price and forget your nationalism / Patriotism during that time, especially in countries like US. So instead of putting more tariffs on Chinese, US should try to build businesses or processes which makes it's products price at least on par with the Chinese .

I think this now holds good for India also. Instead of banning Chinese products or more tariffs, the government should enable businesses to thrive especially in the Electronics / semi-conductor / battery domains and in a way they can compete with the Chinese.

Recently I saw a post that in Japan, even though they do not have any trade war with the US, but the people themselves do not buy anything that is American because of their past history. But that is never going to happen in India. But I would love to see our people passionately buying Indian products and the manufacturers providing them the best quality at that price.
RaghavEvoX is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:30   #25
BHPian

How quickly can things change in global perspectives is visible from this thread. Chinese companies are going to face some tough times now. Hope the government slaps an additional Galvan Tax on them. Also our government shouldn't give an easy entry to these chinese companies who are able to sell at much lower prices than our local manufacturers due to subsidies given to them by the chinese govt. Their gameplan is to drive local companies out of business and dominate the manufacturing sector.

I for one have sworn to avoid chinese goods as far as I can. A few months ago I chose the Kia Seltos over the MG Hector mainly for this reason.

We Indians must name and shame China at every opportunity we get and I request all TeamBhpians to vow from buying any chinese vehicle in the future.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:31   #26
BHPian

I have something to say. Even in these anti-China sentiments floating around we have been seeing Chinese smartphone flash sales getting sold out in minutes. MG is not a Chinese brand for most of the common buyers, to them it is a British brand, as has been advertised. Hector is just a 530 rebadged as a different name, made to advertise like a British SUV. So a lot of people think that it is British. However, if companies like Haval and Chery and Changan happen to succeed in India with their VFM products (No wonder Chinese products are heavily VFM and that's how China is ruling the world in today's date and time) amidst the tensions and sentiments arising over their Indian/Korean/American/German counterparts, then I'd say the problem is with us and not with them entering India.

Indian manufacturers should buckle up and instead of providing half baked (Yes I'm a diehard Tata fan, yet world is a competitive one) product releases they need to create really world class products. The sentiment should be around buying Indian not boycott Chinese. What if they set up subsidiaries in other countries where they assemble Chinese kits, rebadge it and send to India as 'Made in Malaysia' or similar. If you follow twitter off late, even Chinese smartphone manufacturers are giving explanations one by one on how much 'Indian' they are. I personally feel, if we want to own Chinese VFM products, welcome them properly. If not, then no hypocrisy needed. No offence meant to any member on the forum, this is my thoughts on the general sentiments around.
PrasunBannerjee is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 17:50   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
Summarizing the professor's view -
It is a major mistake by US and it will have a rippling effect and could cause further problems. As a customer you buy a product of same quality which is at a cheaper price and forget your nationalism / Patriotism during that time, especially in countries like US. So instead of putting more tariffs on Chinese, US should try to build businesses or processes which makes it's products price at least on par with the Chinese.
Interesting. Did this honorable professor also know HOW? That's the question that nobody is able to answer & whole countries are being gulped by China under military / financial weight. Such statements can be made by even an uneducated man selling street food. That statement itself is too shallow for a professor talking at the IIM I'd say.

We can guess easily that the US has been trying to block Chinese dumping of cheap stuff since years, by making things within North Americas and becoming independent. Outwardly stupid looking moves like this tarrif come out of frustration as a last resort. Of course I'm also totally of the opinion that its the wrong move & the US pulled rest of the world down as well due to Chinese retaliation. How exactly does the world start blocking Chinese cheap goods (finished or raw materials)? The world is dependent on China for all supply. The world just needs to stop feeling ashamed & accept the fact.

The Chinese have worked hard for their dominance. While the world was busy enjoying alcohol, drugs & freedom, the Chinese paid attention to their planning. The world now worries about freedom. The Chinese are a hard working people beyond a doubt. They get the job done. Are their ways correct? Are they ethically correct? Are they a good people? Everyone can make own judgement on that.

Last edited by Reinhard : 22nd June 2020 at 17:57.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 18:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
Indian manufacturers should buckle up and instead of providing half baked (Yes I'm a diehard Tata fan, yet world is a competitive one) product releases they need to create really world class products. The sentiment should be around buying Indian not boycott Chinese.
This point has seen numerous discussions in other threads, as you may be aware. Some competitive products simply dont succeed because they are associated with a particular manufacturer. People will buy (in some cases) more expensive, poorly designed and built cars from other manufacturers simply on the basis of reputation.
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
Recently I saw a post that in Japan, even though they do not have any trade war with the US.
Maybe one must stop using Whatsapp forwards as gospel. In 2017, Japan was the 4th biggest export market for US of A.

Also to anyone saying I bought XYZ car to not contribute to China, try stripping your car down to the last bolt and start counting how many Made in China parts it is made of. It is just like your "Made in India" cellphones and computers, You'd be surprised to know that they're "Assembled in India" by importing parts from China.

There is literally no way to avoid them. The clothes you wear, the medicines you take, they're everywhere.
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2020, 12:56   #30
GBX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
There is literally no way to avoid them. The clothes you wear, the medicines you take, they're everywhere.
I mean no offense, but the idea that there's no way to avoid them is highly defeatist.

A car can contain parts from various countries and still qualify as being locally made, depending on the amount of value addition that takes place here. We cannot equate a car made/designed in country X and a car with nuts/blots imported from country X.

For instance, various scales and percentages are used in America to classify cars by how "American" they are, so "patriotic" consumers can then use that to buy from manufacturers that support the local economy.

IMO in these economic conditions, I think we should applaud consumers who don't get swayed by discounts and still buy a product based on principles(whatever they may be).

(Request mods to move this to the relevant thread, if it's off topic)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks